Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/gotobedjordan/status/1554882873429299202?s=20&t=xJ2oEECxznEHH_VvPKlewQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Did Bankston actually mention the leaked phone on a KN episode because I feel like I remember something like that?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TheMightyBoops posted:

Did Bankston actually mention the leaked phone on a KN episode because I feel like I remember something like that?

I find that hard to believe, it's the sort of thing you absolutely want to completely surprise your target with.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheMightyBoops posted:

No, they only got it 12 days ago and I don't think he's been on in the interim

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

BigglesSWE posted:

I find that hard to believe, it's the sort of thing you absolutely want to completely surprise your target with.

I’m surprised he went on at all TBH.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So we’re back in under 50 min?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’m surprised he went on at all TBH.

One of the hosts of Knowledge Fight was a consultant for the plantiffs lawyers for Alex Jones' second deposition

They used the show as a resource for the case.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

teen witch posted:

So we’re back in under 50 min?

i think she said 30?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If it was under gag I don't think he would even admit to it existing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah, this never happens in a trial, it's honestly a complete disaster.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

goatface posted:

If it was under gag I don't think he would even admit to it existing.

Yeah. It must just sound like something that was said to me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
People will write dissertations about this case. Probably not just law ones.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Imma idiot; How did Jones lawyer screw up in so badly that he not only sent all his texts, but they are submittable as evidence?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I picked a fine morning to get stuck in meetings and have to skip out on this train wreck, I'll tell ya what. :mad:

Can someone summarize the phone/iCloud storage thing for me? I've been rummaging through the past posts but I'm not 100% sure what happened.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

goatface posted:

People will write dissertations about this case. Probably not just law ones.

Are you loving kidding?

I'm in the market for the new back tattoo.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, this never happens in a trial, it's honestly a complete disaster.

it never happens at a trial because a majority of lawyers are at least basically competent, if nothing else

the fact that his legal team couldn't even clear that bar is.......... wow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Unlucky7 posted:

Imma idiot; How did Jones lawyer screw up in so badly that he not only sent all his texts, but they are submittable as evidence?

it rules

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

Matt said something about him pointing out to them "hey you just sent us this, is this protected?" and they somehow DID NOT CONFIRM THAT IMMEDIATELY.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

i'm going to have to watch that cell phone reveal at least ten more times. each time focusing on a different person's reaction.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Quoting for the new page and for added context:
https://twitter.com/obarcala/status/1554883076039315457?t=rVHsvHkj4GTveO3jpaIxjg&s=19

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

BigglesSWE posted:

Matt said something about him pointing out to them "hey you just sent us this, is this protected?" and they somehow DID NOT CONFIRM THAT IMMEDIATELY.

They had 10 days to claim it was privileged or a mistake, etc. Today is day 12.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

They didn't confirm it at all. They basically let the clock run out on when they could confirm it, so they casually sent critical information that sinks their case without any sort of response.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I've said it before: There's no :allears: big enough.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

funeral home DJ posted:

I picked a fine morning to get stuck in meetings and have to skip out on this train wreck, I'll tell ya what. :mad:

Can someone summarize the phone/iCloud storage thing for me? I've been rummaging through the past posts but I'm not 100% sure what happened.

Basically Jones lawyers had all his texts and emails for 3 years, didn't claim any of it as privileged information, so the plaintiffs lawyers got all of it and showed how hard Jones has been lying.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

funeral home DJ posted:

"someone" from Jones' team sent an entire backup of Jones' personal phone, which contained apparently medical records and sealed depositions, to the plantiff's team. plantiff's team asked the defense if it was priviledged and got no response, so apparently it became fair game after 10 days

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

Its submittable as because it was meant to be there to begin with.
At the start of every case you have the 'discovery' phase where you can request anything that is usable by the upcoming trial.
They requested the money figures on how much of the food buckets Jones was selling, and got none or little.
Now they got more info on it, so can add it to the record.

(See My Cousin Vinny)

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Unlucky7 posted:

IANAL (so I don't know why I'm answering) but the plaintiff lawyer mentioned (paraphrase) "... and when I told your attorney that I received this, he did NOTHING to assert it as privileged information nor protect it in any way..."

So, it seems like because it wasn't obtained improperly or illegally, and when given the explicit opportunity to "hit the undo button holy poo poo throw that out", Jones' lawyer did, in fact, not hit it, it becomes as admissible as anything else?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

:pusheen:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Unlucky7 posted:

Jones' lawyers submitted the phone to the plaintiff's attorneys. It sounds like they were only required to submit certain messages relevant to the case but instead sent an entire digital image of Jones' phone with emails and text messages dating back 2 years. That's bad enough, but Jones' lawyers COULD have asked for a lot of those messages (especially the ones between Jones/his lawyers) to be considered privileged, but there's a window where they have to submit that sort of request (apparently 10-12 days) and they...just didn't. So now everything on that phone belongs to the plaintiff's lawyers and they can probably do whatever the gently caress they want with it. Give it to the DOJ, the lawyer team in CT going after Jones, the Pope, publish it all online?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

“Oh poo poo we mixed up the names on incriminating.zip and unincriminating.zip.”

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What astonishes me is that all this has come out during the damages phase of an already settled default judgement. This means that none of these histrionics were necessary in arguing against the damage amount, but resulted in this incredible self sabotage. It would be more understandable if they were actually arguing the real case in the first place, but that part is already over.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

spinst posted:

"someone" from Jones' team sent an entire backup of Jones' personal phone, which contained apparently medical records and sealed depositions, to the plantiff's team. plantiff's team asked the defense if it was priviledged and got no response, so apparently it became fair game after 10 days

It also apparently included chains of emails from further back that were still being quoted in the email chain. Its a gold mine.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Frank Frank posted:

Jones' lawyers submitted the phone to the plaintiff's attorneys. It sounds like they were only required to submit certain messages relevant to the case but instead sent an entire digital image of Jones' phone with emails and text messages dating back 2 years. That's bad enough, but Jones' lawyers COULD have asked for a lot of those messages (especially the ones between Jones/his lawyers) to be considered privileged, but there's a window where they have to submit that sort of request (apparently 10-12 days) and they...just didn't. So now everything on that phone belongs to the plaintiff's lawyers and they can probably do whatever the gently caress they want with it. Give it to the DOJ, the lawyer team in CT going after Jones, the Pope, publish it all online?

PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE ALEXJONESMYCRIMES.zip :filez:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

a mysterious cloak posted:

Basically Jones lawyers had all his texts and emails for 3 years, didn't claim any of it as privileged information, so the plaintiffs lawyers got all of it and showed how hard Jones has been lying.

Holy poo poo. There's loving things up, and then there's loving things up. I don't want Jones to win anything but man I'd be telling him to sue those lawyers after a gently caress-up that bad.

spinst posted:

i'm going to have to watch that cell phone reveal at least ten more times. each time focusing on a different person's reaction.

I'm going to absolutely look at the archives now on Law and Crime because what the absolute hell lmao

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

spinst posted:

plantiff's team asked the defense if it was priviledged and got no response

I don't think this is true. It would be on Jones' team to request privilege.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's incredible

it's like... it didn't have to be this way

and yet it was, for our lols and amusement

conspiracy theory: Alex Jones's lawyer hates him and would rather just sink him if possible, so he "forgot" to respond to the notification :tinfoil:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

They weren't until two days ago. Jones kept his lawyers so busy with his antics, they didn't have time to correct their mistake. Had they done so at any point after sending the phone backup, Farrar and Ball could not use it as evidence without prompting an actual mistrial, even with all the fuckery done until this point.

As for how the lawyers sent it, my theory is that even they believed Jones's lies that he sent no text messages or emails to anyone ever, let alone about Sandy Hook. According, if that evidence really did not exist, then his phone must've been perfectly safe to handle. Must've been. Surely.

Remember, the defense lawyers have only been on this date for a few months at most.

What I don't like about those emails is that they imply Jones is, in fact, literate. Unfortunately, that doesn't jive with the other evidence we've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:allears: