Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Xakura posted:

Fusion is a fun science project and not relevant to our current climate crisis.

It's very much worth spending money on, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

Seems like there's plenty they can do about it, mostly by not dicking around right at the bottom of the dam and especially not being so negligent as to take their kids out there with them.

The problem is: Civilization thrives around water, especially rivers. You cannot really push people away from it, and most rivers now have dams, and if that dam breaks....

Yup, that one was one of the worst if not the worst dam failure.

Vajonte Dam's overtopping was really bad too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QueMqRjW5Eo

A.o.D. posted:

It's very much worth spending money on, though.

It is, but its not likely going to play a part in addressing the climate crisis for a long time.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

Vajonte Dam's overtopping was really bad too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QueMqRjW5Eo

Oh I do know, living not terribly far from there i didn't want to push that button and look morbid. If you want a more "interesting" take on the topic, i would strongly suggest trying the Paolini book read, which is pretty much burned into every north eastern italian citizen mind in my generation. https://archive.org/details/Marco.Paolini..Vajont.9.ottobre.1963..1997..MP3.192.ITA.XviD4.576x460.DVDRip..Mukka You will have to source subtitles, there are no english localizations of it.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 3, 2022

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Also on the topic of dams; hydro really cant be expanded at the moment bc there simply isnt undammed Rivers available.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Valtonen posted:

Also on the topic of dams; hydro really cant be expanded at the moment bc there simply isnt undammed Rivers available.

That and increasing drought is making dams difficult, like Hoover Dam is running out of water due to Lake Mead drying up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Valtonen posted:

That's why we're melting the ice caps, obvs

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just build more nuke

Who gives a poo poo about the waste anyway, we can't even care about the next ten years

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just build more nuke

Who gives a poo poo about the waste anyway, we can't even care about the next ten years

Excuse me that's just fuel that needs to be recycles :colbert:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Given how Germany considers coal green, i feel like using coal plants to power desalinization systems that takes sea water to fill up hydro dams would be normal and environmentally cool for their media/political class

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What baffles me so much about the German stance on "green" coal is that they have some of the nastiest, least efficient, and dirtiest coal in the world. It was so bad that it out their fleets at an operational disadvantage in WWI. Their engines would foul up faster than everyone else's.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
the USA should definitely scrap it's very stupid nuclear waste reprocessing moratorium and start repurposing the tons and tons of waste nuclear material that we are storing on site at most nuclear power plants.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

What baffles me so much about the German stance on "green" coal is that they have some of the nastiest, least efficient, and dirtiest coal in the world. It was so bad that it out their fleets at an operational disadvantage in WWI. Their engines would foul up faster than everyone else's.

How much of that German coal is actually lignite, which is pretty shite as a combustible fuel.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

How much of that German coal is actually lignite, which is pretty shite as a combustible fuel.

The BBC called Germany the world capital of lignite just last year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Most steam generation methods do, including gas and coal.

Not to nitpick, but gas plants don't operate on steam power primarily. They're massive turbine islands that sit on the floor and use a gas/air mixture similar to a jet engine. Combined cycle systems create steam from the waste heat, but their water requirements are much less than primary steam methods like coal and nuclear.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 3, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

20% of electricity production is with lignite, 10% is with hard coal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Germany#Coal_power

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I don't know who the Ukrainian Defense Ministry has working on this poo poo, but good God they definitely aren't getting paid enough.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1554512359791570945?s=20&t=5g_NJg8zYaV5iYYyClDQgQ

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Have we considered just making the german people join together and just spin the turbines by hand?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’d be pretty shocking if they were still using lignite to any degree since ligmite is a much better-performing alternative

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cult_hero posted:

Have we considered just making the german people join together and just spin the turbines by hand?

Well we have recordings of Austrian people doing it it already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KYZ74OAak

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

orange juche posted:

They had a functioning nuclear infrastructure for a long time before now, but the literal mission of the German Green party is to end nuclear power in the country and they don't give a poo poo about how much coal they burn to do it, because they are afraid of the radiant glow of almighty Atom, nevermind that coal power plants emit 100x more radiation via Uranium, Radium, Thorium, and Potassium than a functioning nuclear plant at the same power level.
It's always interesting to see the Greens being blamed for something decided and implemented by the conservative CDU in coalitions with the liberal FDP and social-democratic SPD. The Greens have only been in power as the middle party in a three party coalition since last December. The 16 years before that, they were always in the opposition. Merkel decided to get out of nuclear power, and supported Nord Stream 1 and 2. The SPD, FDP and CDU pushed gas as the environmentally friendly, cheap alternative to oil and coal. The SPD and CDU did everything to stay with coal as long as possible.

But yes, it is those dastardly environmentalist Greens who single handedly forced everyone to destroy the perfect solution of nuclear power and pushed the dependency on Russian gas.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I don't know who the Ukrainian Defense Ministry has working on this poo poo, but good God they definitely aren't getting paid enough.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1554512359791570945?s=20&t=5g_NJg8zYaV5iYYyClDQgQ

It's an uncomfortable fact that part of the reason Ukraine has rallied so much support is that their PR game is 100% on point.

Zelensky spending the last 6 months remotely addressing every legislative body on earth giving carefully crafted speeches drawing parallels between Ukraine's history and the nation they're addressing hasn't hurt either.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Uncle Enzo posted:

It's an uncomfortable fact that part of the reason Ukraine has rallied so much support is that their PR game is 100% on point.

Zelensky spending the last 6 months remotely addressing every legislative body on earth giving carefully crafted speeches drawing parallels between Ukraine's history and the nation they're addressing hasn't hurt either.

PR game and results they boast on*

Utterly decimating the assault force towards Kyev and the mariupol siege were feats that were easy to turn into PR goldmines. Not to discredit zelensky and his PR team who are amazing but even much less capable propaganda crews would have had a field day with the opportunities given between february-april.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Valtonen posted:

PR game and results they boast on*

Utterly decimating the assault force towards Kyev and the mariupol siege were feats that were easy to turn into PR goldmines. Not to discredit zelensky and his PR team who are amazing but even much less capable propaganda crews would have had a field day with the opportunities given between february-april.

They killed it in the first hours, then again over the first day or two and then they started getting offers of probono PR work from all over Europe and they hit a peak that OP was commenting on.

Obviously you can't stop a tank with a slogan, but the Ukrainian comms people absolutely deserve a significant slice of the credit for the success of the first day/couple days.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 3, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

cult_hero posted:

Do they still owe reparations from either of those times they started World Wars?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Do they still owe reparations from either of those times they started World Wars?

To be fair, both World Wars were started by an Austrian.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They killed it in the first hours, then again over the first day or two and then they started getting offers of probono PR work from all over Europe and they hit a peak that OP was commenting on.

Obviously you can't stop a tank with a slogan, but the Ukrainian comms people absolutely deserve a significant slice of the credit for the success of the first day/couple days.

“I don’t need a ride, I need ammo” is some straight up :black101: from someone I didn’t expect was going to live through those first few days, let alone weeks.

The Ukrainian presidential protection detail has to have some stories from that short time period.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
they do yeah. In the first day or two they were in gunfights with russian sf and related sorts of folks that had been infiltrating into kiev (plus more parachuting in on the first night, apparently) in the weeks leading up to feb 24th. There were apparently two Russian attempts to storm the presidential residence while Zelensky and his family were still inside.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’d be pretty shocking if they were still using lignite to any degree since ligmite is a much better-performing alternative

ligmite balls

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just build more nuke

Just launch the waste into space with this thing:
https://engineeringmatters.reby.media/2021/11/15/successful-space-launch-with-catapult/
Let aliens deal with that poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Just launch the waste into space with this thing:
https://engineeringmatters.reby.media/2021/11/15/successful-space-launch-with-catapult/
Let aliens deal with that poo poo

High Level 'Waste' is still viable fuel. Dont waste it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The fact that the US doesn't allow reprocessing of nuclear fuel into MOX is stupid. Tons and tons of perfectly usable U-235 and Pu-239, and the US has no infrastructure or regulations on how to do it. MOX processing can even be used to dispose of weapons grade material by de-enriching weapons-grade spicy rocks into spicy rocks that can be used in a commercial reactor.

(The reason the US doesn't do it is because of the idea that allowing reprocessing means that used nuclear material could/would be smuggled and used to proliferate further nuclear weapons development, this already happens anyways via other countries because the US does not have a monopoly on spicy rocks)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DTurtle posted:

It's always interesting to see the Greens being blamed for something decided and implemented by the conservative CDU in coalitions with the liberal FDP and social-democratic SPD. The Greens have only been in power as the middle party in a three party coalition since last December. The 16 years before that, they were always in the opposition. Merkel decided to get out of nuclear power, and supported Nord Stream 1 and 2. The SPD, FDP and CDU pushed gas as the environmentally friendly, cheap alternative to oil and coal. The SPD and CDU did everything to stay with coal as long as possible.

But yes, it is those dastardly environmentalist Greens who single handedly forced everyone to destroy the perfect solution of nuclear power and pushed the dependency on Russian gas.

And yet the Greens are committed to disrupting plans to keep existing nuclear facilities running.

I guess I'm glad my house has oil heating, and that the tank has enough to get through another year at least.

psydude fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 4, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

Not to nitpick, but gas plants don't operate on steam power primarily. They're massive turbine islands that sit on the floor and use a gas/air mixture similar to a jet engine. Combined cycle systems create steam from the waste heat, but their water requirements are much less than primary steam methods like coal and nuclear.

To double nitpick, steam plants aren't using environmental water as a process fluid. The nuclear and steam systems are very carefully regulated closed loops. Similarly the glycol and oil coolant loops for a gas turbine is a carefully controlled closed loop. Easy access to water for every kind of power plant just means easy access to a bulk heat sink. In no case do they consume the water. They pump it through a heat exchanger and return it slightly warmer.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

To double nitpick, steam plants aren't using environmental water as a process fluid. The nuclear and steam systems are very carefully regulated closed loops. Similarly the glycol and oil coolant loops for a gas turbine is a carefully controlled closed loop. Easy access to water for every kind of power plant just means easy access to a bulk heat sink. In no case do they consume the water. They pump it through a heat exchanger and return it slightly warmer.

Which can still be problematic in our ever hotter world.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lignite (my balls) being a poo poo gently caress fuel is probably why Germany also made itself reliant on Russian loving coal of all things, importing 53% of their coal supply from Russia. A lot of modern coal fired power plant designs can only run on hard coal, so in that article you'll notice them talking about replacing coal imports with coal from overseas, as their lovely lignite can't even power many of their existing plants, which thirst for sweet, sweet anthracite.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Elviscat posted:

Lignite (my balls) being a poo poo gently caress fuel is probably why Germany also made itself reliant on Russian loving coal of all things, importing 53% of their coal supply from Russia. A lot of modern coal fired power plant designs can only run on hard coal, so in that article you'll notice them talking about replacing coal imports with coal from overseas, as their lovely lignite can't even power many of their existing plants, which thirst for sweet, sweet anthracite.

Germany closed their last 2 hard coal mines a decade ago because they weren't cost effective.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
This is probably propaganda, but remember that destroyed Russian column in Bucha? It was done by a 72 year old Afghan war vet. What will you be doing when you’re 72?

https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1554918169478774786

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

This is probably propaganda, but remember that destroyed Russian column in Bucha? It was done by a 72 year old Afghan war vet. What will you be doing when you’re 72?

If I'm still living in the south at 72 and someone rolls a tank column on North Georgia, they can have it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

I plan to be fighting for the Free Great Lakes States during the Second Water Wars when I'm 73

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

I plan to be fighting for the Free Great Lakes States during the Second Water Wars when I'm 73

Valentyn Didkovskuy gives me hope for my future as a redwood forest dwelling hill warrior defending the Fraser from the Spokane Republican Militia with an SKS