Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

learned today that we lost 16k last month on improperly quoting shipping because this 100 million+ dollar company doesn't own a thousand dollar pallet scale

e bit da
e bit da

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

boar guy posted:

e bit da
e bit da

manamana.

so i guess you could say penny wise, pound foolish.

:smuggo:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

hey friend, liberal arts but with some math and physics that I have never used in a professional capability except when i worked for a laser company and was one of the few to understand how do laser do thing

i currently supervise a bunch of IT departments for a large international conglomerate and id say i run a 70/30 split on dealing with people with soft skills and being an SME the other 30% of the time.

dont go into sales for your own mental health.

I'm libarts (history, focus on crusader and modern middle east) and got raised by an anthropologist and rocket scientist. My work history is retail, general contracting, retail, a dry cleaner that was basically industrial retail (where I was when I graduated), then aseptic cleanroom drug manufacturing as an operator/lead, then an office job for a few months, then back onto a SMD production floor as an operator/inspector.

I track and trend stuff a lot in my head because of the history degree, and I really like working production manufacturing, so it has been a really symbiotic relationship to the point where my next job is lined up when my plant closes.

I joke a lot that I'll never use my degree, but honestly, that history degree basically got a job created for me months in advance because I got to combine a bunch of stuff I like doing and had the wherewithal to understand what was going on.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sounds like a business analyst to me.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

sounds like a business analyst to me.

my next thing is production QA so pretty on the nose

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you have any erp experience at all i say from a manufacturing perspective lol go get paid pal.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

if you have any erp experience at all i say from a manufacturing perspective lol go get paid pal.

I wish, at the drug plant they promoted a person who killed lots regularly because of bad mistakes out of the cleanroom into the ERP position instead of me for reasons involving illicit workplace activity, and I've been stuck where I'm at since.
I would like to get that ERP experience at this next place since it's not a dead factory, because I know that's my next step.

edit: that sounds like I was involved in illicit workplace activity, I was not. The person in question was, and enough of a shitstorm developed over supervisors and their spouses and etc. that it went so far up the chain they went ahead and promoted said person out of working in production, where they were causing chaos, to a position where they got to wield power over people they didn't like

edit 2: hey thanks man, I thought a lot about what I do and I do a lot of ERP, actually. I'm probably gonna go ahead and resume that and see where I go from here.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 1, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dont go into sales for your own mental health.

I loved when I was selling things to customers.

All I did was go in and chat about cool science they were doing, tell them what things they needed to do the experiment they were struggling with, and drink coffee. I would rock up to a university at 10 with a fully booked diary in advance, no knocking on doors or cold calling, leave at about 2 and get all my admin done on the tube home.

I’m guessing it depends who you work for, but I know loads of people who work for us and some of our competitors who have a really chill time.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, scientific sales is worlds apart from retail sales.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my only sales were high markup products with no commission and quotas and a large amount of application development.

i suppose my role was not typical i just hear sales though and i cringe to this day.

those folks know how to party though.

E: that being said, getting called by darpa asking about a thingy that could measure speed and position of a "thing" going what i roughly mathed out was going mach 3.8 without them being able to answer any other questions because of "reasons" was pretty fun.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 1, 2022

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

I'm libarts (history, focus on crusader and modern middle east)

*snip*

I track and trend stuff a lot in my head because of the history degree, and I really like working production manufacturing, so it has been a really symbiotic relationship to the point where my next job is lined up when my plant closes.

I joke a lot that I'll never use my degree, but honestly, that history degree basically got a job created for me months in advance because I got to combine a bunch of stuff I like doing and had the wherewithal to understand what was going on.

This is kinda where my dad's head went towards not completing his doctorate degree in history (major in Sinologie, dual minor European and world history). The Sinology dept. was created by and for his professor, who had no intention of leaving soon*. After more than a decade as a student, picking up work in another track was less than appealing, too.
Having a kid and moving to the US sealed the deal.

Temp warehouse and then working the mailroom didn't tax him much and paid little, so he kept his eyes open. Learned how to use the little computer in the mailroom, talked to everyone in the company he could, and applied for as many full time positions as possible.

The man knew his strengths, after spending 12+ years in university doing research and writing papers. Learning English and Mandarin turned out to be useful as well.

The first step was graphical layouts for user manuals. Translating the manuals to German and Mandarin came next, which got him into writing the manuals in English. From there on out he became a professional technical writer.

Moved back to Germany and didn't go six weeks before finding the job he has now.

The initial work of writing the manual for the program they produce was hard. From scratch in English, translating that to German, then Mandarin (to be farmed out for proof reading and editing), all through coordination with the programmers. Past that? He wrote the templates, laying out everything himself, to be as easy to write and understand as possible (these two are linked).

20 years later, it's mostly using the same tools to slot in docs for new or custom modules. Updates are handled within a team that's been together forever, no surprises. Internal tasks to educate the salesforce take up blocked-out time per quarter. Outside work for the overarching org is the only thing that'll gum poo poo up time-wise (more his boss's problem than his).

Point being: Nope, he hasn't used the history degrees once. But the actual education; the organizational, writing, and language skills have been invaluable.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just got my background check completed so I get to finally exit academia a week from tomorrow

gently caress yeahhhhh and gently caress youuuuuuuuu academic research hospitals!!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

madeintaipei posted:

20 years later, it's mostly using the same tools to slot in docs for new or custom modules. Updates are handled within a team that's been together forever, no surprises. Internal tasks to educate the salesforce take up blocked-out time per quarter. Outside work for the overarching org is the only thing that'll gum poo poo up time-wise (more his boss's problem than his).

Point being: Nope, he hasn't used the history degrees once. But the actual education; the organizational, writing, and language skills have been invaluable.

I think the importance of a degree is that toolset. It, in theory, makes you a better hire for employers who just need someone trained and experienced in that way who can slot into a bunch of different industries and settings as needed. It's allowed me to basically bluff my way into jobs where they wanted an engineering degree (both electrical and mechanical at this company so far) when you combine it with my experience. My degree is in Anthropology.

Johnny Truant posted:

Just got my background check completed so I get to finally exit academia a week from tomorrow

gently caress yeahhhhh and gently caress youuuuuuuuu academic research hospitals!!

Another thread success story. Good for you.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
I’m pretty sure there’s a thread in A/T somewhere specifically for ex-academics. Might want to ask there for help getting out

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

Yep, college isn't for learning how to do a job, that's trade school/apprenticeship. College is for learning how to learn in general, so once you get out into the 'real world' you can figure some poo poo out for yourself.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

boar guy posted:

learned today that we lost 16k last month on improperly quoting shipping because this 100 million+ dollar company doesn't own a thousand dollar pallet scale

e bit da
e bit da

Equally likely that the shipping company just made up the shipment weight. If you have the packing list and the weight of each item dispute that poo poo with whoever your sales rep is for the shipping company or 3PL you used.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Takes No Damage posted:

Yep, college isn't for learning how to do a job, that's trade school/apprenticeship. College is for learning how to learn in general, so once you get out into the 'real world' you can figure some poo poo out for yourself.

Totally this. I was a lovely student but I did learn to learn fast because I sure as poo poo didn't learn to do anything until the last minute.

I've got an oddly broad work history but according to my chairman I'm succeeding because of my ability to 'pick things up'* and 'identity quality hires'** and 'make things happen'***

*Fake it till you make it
**Red flag identification (and mild ptsd) from years of lovely coworkers and dozens of housemates.
***I have no idea why I'm good at this. I don't really know what this is. Probably from University and/or DMing D&d games? Nerds.

So basically what doesn't kill you breaks you but also makes you employable.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Back from my short break and the first thing out the boss is "Shoe we need to have a chat at your earliest convenience"
I'm booked out solid til I have to go home so I dunno when the gently caress that's supposed to be
:discourse:

I've managed to contact the other shop right in the middle of their summer blitz and they keep putting off the interview, frustrating, doubly so cos I could probably alleviate that pressure.. if I worked there... Also annoying because I was checking out their piercer profiles and I'm more experienced than some of theirs, I'm perfect. Gimme that job dude. Or give me a hard no so I can go work in Tesco or at the dump or something. But either way I'm done here

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Back from my short break and the first thing out the boss is "Shoe we need to have a chat at your earliest convenience"
I'm booked out solid til I have to go home so I dunno when the gently caress that's supposed to be
:discourse:

I've managed to contact the other shop right in the middle of their summer blitz and they keep putting off the interview, frustrating, doubly so cos I could probably alleviate that pressure.. if I worked there... Also annoying because I was checking out their piercer profiles and I'm more experienced than some of theirs, I'm perfect. Gimme that job dude. Or give me a hard no so I can go work in Tesco or at the dump or something. But either way I'm done here

:f5: don't leave us hanging what was the chat

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shoehead posted:

Or give me a hard no so I can go work in Tesco or at the a better dump or something. But either way I'm done here

You already work at a dump. That would be trading up both in terms of working conditions and the amount of garbage in your workplace.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, for real, just walk out and immediately start applying for pay-the-bills jobs. Don't look back. Block your boss in everything, and file for a lost wages claim or whatever the smarter goon posted before.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Me: we're getting a lot of tickets for this issue. I plan to get that fixed this week.

Coworker w/ seniority: I believe I am the expert for this matter, I'll take care of it. Don't you worry.

(goes on vacation for a week, tickets keep pouring in)

Coworker w/ seniority: (two weeks after taking task) uh, so how do I fix this?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Tried to quit today. Ended up with 2 weeks paid leave.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Shoehead posted:

nah gently caress that

use the two weeks to find anything else

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Shoehead posted:

Two weeks to find a new job!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Paid how? Isn't the bulk of your income directly related to the number of clients you see and services you perform for them?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Yeah, use those two weeks to search for other jobs, then quit after the 2 weeks.

Like for real, please please PLEASE don't go back to that dumpsterfire.

Motronic posted:

Paid how? Isn't the bulk of your income directly related to the number of clients you see and services you perform for them?

This is a good question as well - I assume you have an hourly rate then make more with more clients, but also something to be aware of.

(Also start asking around for a lawyer in case you need to do legal things to get back pay, or current pay, or not be harassed)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gardening leave?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, use those two weeks to search for other jobs, then quit after the 2 weeks.

Like for real, please please PLEASE don't go back to that dumpsterfire.

This is a good question as well - I assume you have an hourly rate then make more with more clients, but also something to be aware of.

(Also start asking around for a lawyer in case you need to do legal things to get back pay, or current pay, or not be harassed)

You are correct. She's like "see how you feel then".

So now I'm home, the meeting never happened, but about midway through the day the boss announced I had a new apprentice and that was that, no extra pay to teach someone, no time alloted or anything, she said "I'm the boss there is no discussion" verbatim. And I blew the gently caress up, I said "yeah OK how much notice do you need? 2 weeks?" and she was like "For what??" and I replied "For quitting, man, I quit!"

Anyway yeah I have some clients tomorrow we couldn't cancel on and then I'm off for 2 weeks to unfuck my life.

edit: still processing what happened but man she really tried to turn a lot of stuff around on me today, we had a very long angry talk. She said I was really mad all the time and that it made her not want to work here any more. And she said she'd taken steps to change things (she has in her hole) and that she feels like I blame her when things go wrong.. but youre.. the boss! She just kept talking about how bad I make her feel constantly and I was like wait hang on a minute here, I'm the employee, you're the boss. I'd taken my issues to her and she ignored them and now she's acting surprised by this all while also saying she's noticed how upset and dissatisfied I am? Nothing adds up.

Oh also she told me some weeks we don't have enough money to restock after I'm paid and I don't actually care? That's on you?? Maybe run a sustainable business????

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 3, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shoehead posted:

So now I'm home, the meeting never happened, but about midway through the day the boss announced I had a new apprentice and that was that, no extra pay to teach someone, no time alloted or anything, she said "I'm the boss there is no discussion" verbatim. And I blew the gently caress up, I said "yeah OK how much notice do you need? 2 weeks?" and she was like "For what??" and I replied "For quitting, man, I quit!"

Anyway yeah I have some clients tomorrow we couldn't cancel on and then I'm off for 2 weeks to unfuck my life.

edit: still processing what happened but man she really tried to turn a lot of stuff around on me today, we had a very long angry talk. She said I was really mad all the time and that it made her not want to work here any more. And she said she'd taken steps to change things (she has in her hole) and that she feels like I blame her when things go wrong.. but youre.. the boss! She just kept talking about how bad I make her feel constantly and I was like wait hang on a minute here, I'm the employee, you're the boss. I'd taken my issues to her and she ignored them and now she's acting surprised by this all while also saying she's noticed how upset and dissatisfied I am? Nothing adds up.

Oh also she told me some weeks we don't have enough money to restock after I'm paid and I don't actually care? That's on you?? Maybe run a sustainable business????

:frogout:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Burn it on the way out, imo.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Shoehead posted:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Block her number, add a filter that sends her email to spam, never go back. Use this two weeks to find literally any other job.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
New favorite zoom message: I don't know how this passed unit testing but it did somehow.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
In two weeks, you're gonna feel even more sure you don't wanna go back, but now with two weeks more pay. Quitting a job is like a breakup, it only takes one party to make it happen, you don't have to 'agree'. I feel for crazy codependent hoarder lady, but you can't save her.

This is the work version of a slow-motion breakup. 'Lets take some time apart', meanwhile, you go ahead and start your own life somewhere else.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

That person is 100% waiting for you come back to make life even worse, and try to run a guilt trip that it's your fault somehow. It also sounds like she might be the type to sabotage you on the way out, FWIW.

Run, fast and far.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Today I received the final paperwork for my settlement with my former employer. I was going to take them to court for wrongful termination.

This is what I am legally allowed to say per my agreement with the company:

"The matter has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction. There was no victory on either side."

On a completely un-related note there sure are a lot of very desirable guitars on Reverb today.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Today I received the final paperwork for my settlement with my former employer. I was going to take them to court for wrongful termination.

"The matter has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction. There was no victory on either side."

On a completely un-related note there sure are a lot of very desirable guitars on Reverb today.

Congratulations on not winning, may you continue to not win all the days of your life.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Awwwwww yeah!

Today I got a cool 100k yen from the government for some reason. Covid relief?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Escape From Noise posted:

Awwwwww yeah!

Today I got a cool 100k yen from the government for some reason. Covid relief?
https://reverb.com/item/40239933-ib...L-UzF4uVr6ArVVs :)

E: Sorry if I got the Yen/dollar conversion off by a bit. I'm a little distracted.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 4, 2022