Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Coolnezzz posted:

I gave my two week notice yesterday, I have nothing lined up except a trip to rehab or AA, leaning towards the latter. MSPs loving suck, don't get involved with them.

Dude. I know we aren’t the mental health thread but I’m here and IE is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

jaegerx posted:

Dude. I know we aren’t the mental health thread but I’m here and IE is pretty good

Thanks man, it's appreciated. I feel like the mental health thread has been linked here several times in the past few months, I will start reading it.

All I've really had in my life is work for the almost 10 years past, things have spiraled down over the last few years and my drinking is out of hand. I've hit up some recruiters for Azure AD / Okta / authentication work because I enjoy that so we'll see how it goes.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

i am a moron posted:

Well if you go indy there are 100% engagements like that. We have contractors like that. Not my life right now lol

This is just like, being a hired gun, rather than starting a firm where you're looking for customers?

Somehow all the six month contract jobs I get sent on LinkedIn never seemed glamorous, maybe I was just looking at them wrong. It's not "extreme job insecurity", it's "Freedom!".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Coolnezzz posted:

Thanks man, it's appreciated. I feel like the mental health thread has been linked here several times in the past few months, I will start reading it.

All I've really had in my life is work for the almost 10 years past, things have spiraled down over the last few years and my drinking is out of hand. I've hit up some recruiters for Azure AD / Okta / authentication work because I enjoy that so we'll see how it goes.

I had something longer typed up, but it sounded a little preachy. So I'll just say -

Take care of yourself, goon. MSPs do indeed loving suck. And the "my life is work" feeling is one I'm sure a lot of us can relate to. You'll get through it. It's just a life change like any other.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm starting at my new position next month and it's all so weird. Like I just read the headline of a piece of tech news (Regarding Exchange inner workings) that I would totally have (had to) devour before. But I just realized that this isn't relevant to anything I will be doing anymore. So I didn't read it.
Like, I want to specialize, but it's so foreign to me to not have to stay on top of like 80% of what the industry is doing. I'm going from being the ultimate allrounder to an almost totally siloed position.

Still curious whenever the realization will hit me that this whole job change thing is real :v:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

About to start looking for a new job because of the amount of manual labor, lack of willingness to do something about it and people actively building more pet solutions that are broken from the start and require constant babysitting.

“Yeah you just have to login to this server and do x, y and z “. This is for dozens of services randomly breaking weekly.

Not going to do anything manually anymore and just go SRE on this poo poo. Build decent observability for every incident I encounter and create auto remediation on top of it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That you cant react with the thinking emoji to messages in teams is the worst

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

cheque_some posted:

This is just like, being a hired gun, rather than starting a firm where you're looking for customers?

Somehow all the six month contract jobs I get sent on LinkedIn never seemed glamorous, maybe I was just looking at them wrong. It's not "extreme job insecurity", it's "Freedom!".

It really depends on what you do. Right now it’s like loving impossible to be an Azure pro without people wanting to hire you and I find most people choose security, but there are absolutely companies like mine with staffing shortfalls that will take what they can get. You want to work six month? Better than nothing! I know we have some really good EUC (Citrix and the like) contractors who float in and out as well.

The other thing is knowing people. You aren’t going to find the job posted anywhere as a contract role, it’s a lot of ‘@general can we get some referrals’ and if that person is a 1099 or wants C2C that works. We do work with some agencies but they tend to be less useful

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Chad Jihad posted:

I want the spinning :thunk: as an option

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Chad Jihad posted:

If your teams admin isn't an rear end in a top hat, you should have giphy for your meme needs

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

jaegerx posted:

No, i don't have the balls for that

my work slack has "alien attempts to inserts probe, probe hits cheek and bends, inserts successfully, pulls out, shakes off poop" emoji.

e. ah yes, this one https://slackmojis.com/emojis/3594-alienprobe

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 3, 2022

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Famethrowa posted:

my work slack has "alien attempts to inserts probe, probe hits cheek and bends, inserts successfully, pulls out, shakes off poop" emoji.

e. ah yes, this one https://slackmojis.com/emojis/3594-alienprobe

not trying to kinkshame you but there's no poop in that emoji

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

ALL HANDS MEETING!

it's a godawful zoom based slideshow with the worst art you've ever seen and buzzwords by the gallon. and the boss' "we are not in talks to take on a capital partnership but even if we were it would be to expand and even if we were nothing would change" shirt raising a lot of questions

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
We’re DEFINITELY NOT doing this specific thing!

*meetings ends*

Hehe, dumb plebs. They’ll never see it coming when we do this

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

lament.cfg posted:

not trying to kinkshame you but there's no poop in that emoji

I swore there was a flick near the end. huh.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Famethrowa posted:

I swore there was a flick near the end. huh.

You see the things you want to see

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm amazed the GIF's in teams haven't gotten someone HR'ed yet.

I once got a mild talking to because I used one of the default backgrounds that turned out to be that specific casting couch. I didn't add it, it was just one of my default options.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

ALL HANDS MEETING!

it's a godawful zoom based slideshow with the worst art you've ever seen and buzzwords by the gallon. and the boss' "we are not in talks to take on a capital partnership but even if we were it would be to expand and even if we were nothing would change" shirt raising a lot of questions

We're vertically integrating our crowdsourced cloud-stack using machine learning-based algorithmic technology to bring web3 to the forefront of our client-facing workspace, and to deepen our internal bonds, not as a company, but as a family

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

ALL HANDS MEETING!

They just told you that Private Equity is about to say hello. This isn't a good time for a private equity to invest. They will want to cut. Do with this what you will.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

That depends on a ton of factors, healthy services companies aren’t getting cut right now they’re being juiced for the feeding frenzy that this kind of environment creates for outsourcing.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Sickening posted:

They just told you that Private Equity is about to say hello. This isn't a good time for a private equity to invest. They will want to cut. Do with this what you will.

couple years back we acquired another company for their cloud and devops, so it might be another one of those. still not a great way to quell any rumors

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there some kind of regulatory requirement that C levels must deny acquisitions/mergers are being negotiated? Because they all do it and use the exact same language every time.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

xzzy posted:

Is there some kind of regulatory requirement that C levels must deny acquisitions/mergers are being negotiated? Because they all do it and use the exact same language every time.

Sorry but insider trading is for Executives Only, get back to work

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xzzy posted:

This info can hurt negotiations. The buyer wants the company to be as whole as before they bought it. Panic/doubt leaves to people jumping ship and thus lowing the value of the company and disrupting revenue.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is there a good book or other resource that covers companies just starting their Agile journey?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I would start in the BDSM section, particularly any books about being a sub and someone whipping your rear end til it bleeds

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Im away from the thread for 2 weeks and can see that I've missed nothing.

Just cranked out 2/3 Elastic certs. Thank god for easy vendor certs, quick easy way to get my ISC2 continuing education credits.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bonzo posted:

Is there a good book or other resource that covers companies just starting their Agile journey?

Gene Kim has written some nice books on that:

The DevOps Handbook
The Phoenix Project
The Unicorn Project

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

This is pretty neat:

https://caddyserver.com/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

looks cool but why would I pick that over nginx

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My predecessor left a 21H2 image that works fine on a PC but goes fucky on any type of laptop, and the task sequence completes just fine so who knows what is causing it. I'm not sure our half hour hand-off session was sufficient training but I've got a backup plan of "do it all over again"

SlowBloke posted:

If your teams admin isn't an rear end in a top hat, you should have giphy for your meme needs

Oh yeah gifs are my lifeblood but I also want to stamp it onto every message that comes my way

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

LochNessMonster posted:

The DevOps Handbook
The Phoenix Project
The Unicorn Project

Been a while but I didn’t think the Phoenix project had anything to do with agile, the whole thing is a LEAN metaphor

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LochNessMonster posted:

The DevOps Handbook
The Phoenix Project
The Unicorn Project

Whether or not you buy into the underlying philosophy in the The Pheonix Project, it's a really fun and quick read. I highly recommend it.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

My predecessor left a 21H2 image that works fine on a PC but goes fucky on any type of laptop, and the task sequence completes just fine so who knows what is causing it. I'm not sure our half hour hand-off session was sufficient training but I've got a backup plan of "do it all over again"

Thick image or Thin? If it's thick you absolutely want to start from ground zero. Also, it's highly possible they were terrible at Driver Management and this is causing the laptops to go nuts.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i am a moron posted:

Been a while but I didn’t think the Phoenix project had anything to do with agile, the whole thing is a LEAN metaphor

You’re right, but the parts about short feedback loopa and continous experimenting/learning (2 of the 3 ways) are fairly foundational to agile as well

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I decided to extract all the status icons from Azure DevOps pipelines and put them in our Slack instance as emoji today.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:yotj:

Pay TBD but I expect another 10-15k which still leaves me under the p dece six figgies camp but is enough to be comfortable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nice!

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

The Fool posted:

looks cool but why would I pick that over nginx

Is there a reason to use nginx over apache? I've used apache at work to set up very simple https sites with pure html, is nginx easier for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My understanding is that nginx is more performant at higher scales.

https://kinsta.com/blog/nginx-vs-apache/

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/apache-vs-nginx-practical-considerations

For serving raw http I’m sure both are fine, but I’m so young I’ve literally never managed web applications that didn’t have a flask framework attached.