Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Barry Convex posted:

all of this is plausible but the article you're linking to does not actually say most of this

It's a summary of the article Arist posted, the two tweets, and the Variety article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I hope this is the moment BSS learn about Liddle Lyin' Leon

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope this is the moment BSS learn about Liddle Lyin' Leon

It was all posted on the last page.

Here's all of them in one post for you, bud.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554898759196315648
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/scoob-sequel-warner-bros-discovery-shelved-hbo-max/
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/08/hbo-max-removed-6-streaming-movies-1234747761/
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/dc-warner-bros-discovery-zaslav-hbo-max-1235232185/
https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-discovery-ceo-believes-superman-wasted-dc/
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554896680260083713

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Never talk to me outside of d&d.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mr Hootington posted:

Never talk to me outside of d&d you worm

Rude. I thought you actually wanted to see the tweets and articles.

:(

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Could you two go do whatever the gently caress this is somewhere where I don't have to see it, please

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The future is streaming and the future is now so I am kind of expecting WB to try resurrect Blockbuster or some such thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Madkal posted:

The future is streaming and the future is now so I am kind of expecting WB to try resurrect Blockbuster or some such thing.

I mean, in WB's defense, they aren't advocating doing anything too insane.

"Release movies in movie theaters where we can gouge the most money per customer" isn't a revolutionary business idea. It's just that the "kill off any avenues to access our media without paying for a ticket" is lovely for consumers. And they have to bleed a ton of money and waste a bunch of work in the short-term to pivot.

Edit: A more succinct way of putting it is that they are just returning to the pre-covid staus quo and not regressing all the way back to Blockbuster.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 3, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I wonder the percentage of HBO Max subs that are included in other bundles. We get it with our AT&T service, for example.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Soul Glo posted:

I wonder the percentage of HBO Max subs that are included in other bundles. We get it with our AT&T service, for example.

I know mine is. If AT&T discontinues this I'm not really sure I'll be subbing manually to it. I really need to see how badly the shakeup affects things.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

jiffynuts posted:

I know mine is. If AT&T discontinues this I'm not really sure I'll be subbing manually to it. I really need to see how badly the shakeup affects things.

at&t silently cut mine off a couple months ago after they said they were upgrading my package

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Edit: A more succinct way of putting it is that they are just returning to the pre-covid staus quo and not regressing all the way back to Blockbuster.
Yeah, but those are equally viable strategies. You can return your business model to the pre-covid status quo if you want, but that doesn't change that this is the post-covid status quo now. People will go to theaters, but only if you offer them something they can't get at home. For anything that won't suffer from being on a smaller screen with less loud speakers and/or isn't a mass pop-culture event, your customers are going to want to know why they can't just stream it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I mean, in WB's defense, they aren't advocating doing anything too insane.

"Release movies in movie theaters where we can gouge the most money per customer" isn't a revolutionary business idea. It's just that the "kill off any avenues to access our media without paying for a ticket" is lovely for consumers. And they have to bleed a ton of money and waste a bunch of work in the short-term to pivot.

I'm more talking about stopping all scripted original shows (the thing that brings subscribers) and cancelling movies for streaming only releases (again the thing that brings in subscribers).

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Even if this is some kind of big misunderstanding and they are not actually going to cancel beloved and successful stuff like Peacemaker or put a torch to their online streaming archives, it is being communicated with the most mush-mouthed lack of clarity that they deserve all the lumps they've got coming

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://twitter.com/TheDonkeyDrip/status/1554729911335587840

this guy sounds like an astounding tool

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Even if this is some kind of big misunderstanding and they are not actually going to cancel beloved and successful stuff like Peacemaker or put a torch to their online streaming archives, it is being communicated with the most mush-mouthed lack of clarity that they deserve all the lumps they've got coming

I mean in fairness isn’t it like 48 hours of leaks and rumors before an expected public statement with shareholders? This is more the trap of Twitter and the blue check mark.

I guess everyone’s gotta be more prepared for the internet to take a news story and go running out of control but like I dunno how you tighten up the pr window within days.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Good news Joker 2 is still happening. It even has a release date .In case anyone was worried

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/joker-2-release-date-1235332688/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is it still a musical

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm a little behind on the news. Am I to understand that, in order to pay off the massive debt WB-Discovery took on as part of the merging process, the company is putting all big-budget and scripted productions to a halt in order to . . . slowly get in the black by squeezing the ultra-thin revenue stream that remains after all the cuts?

I'm not a businessman, but I do not understand what the strategy is here. :psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They can write it up as a loss on their taxes snd basically not have to pay taxes in the amount of the loss, or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JordanKai posted:

I'm a little behind on the news. Am I to understand that, in order to pay off the massive debt WB-Discovery took on as part of the merging process, the company is putting all big-budget and scripted productions to a halt in order to . . . slowly get in the black by squeezing the ultra-thin revenue stream that remains after all the cuts?

I'm not a businessman, but I do not understand what the strategy is here. :psyduck:

The really dumbed down version is:

- Streaming is not a reliable way to make money, especially when your shows/movies are hugely expensive.
- After the merger, the new WB/Discovery was heavily leveraged.
- Many theater chains, production companies, actors, and other talent were very mad about WB's public commitment to same day streaming and theater releases.
- The new management is cutting down expensive movies/TV shows that were going to go directly to streaming.
- The new vision for HBOMax is to pair it with Discovery+ and use it to host back catalogue stuff after they go out of theaters.
- They want to focus on turning IP they own into major movies that release in theaters to get the maximum profit from it because it is safe and they want to cut at least $3 billion in costs following the merger. Gambling on streaming or scripted TV is not a safe way to do it.

Their public media call is tomorrow and they will probably clarify/elaborate further.

Aphrodite posted:

They can write it up as a loss on their taxes snd basically not have to pay taxes in the amount of the loss, or something.

It's around 25% of the cost + depreciation. They are going to take a bath on anything they vault, but their belief is that it wouldn't have made 25% of its budget back in new HBOMax subscriptions anyway.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 3, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

JordanKai posted:

The bloodsuckers are "toys'r'us"ing Warner Brothers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Never talk to me outside of d&d.

Do not bring petty bullshit from other forums into this thread.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JordanKai posted:

My understanding is no. They’re shutting down mid budget productions meant to be released on streaming to refocus on big budget theaterical releases and more bankable streaming productions, preferably with ip crossover. They’re also apparently shelving a bunch of underperforming, unfinished, and unreleased streaming originals so they can write them off as tax losses or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but those are equally viable strategies. You can return your business model to the pre-covid status quo if you want, but that doesn't change that this is the post-covid status quo now. People will go to theaters, but only if you offer them something they can't get at home. For anything that won't suffer from being on a smaller screen with less loud speakers and/or isn't a mass pop-culture event, your customers are going to want to know why they can't just stream it.

I'm disappointed, but I think they have successfully put the genie back in the bottle. Universal and Disney were very positive on same day streaming releases and committed to doing them going forward for some major releases. Then, theater chains announced they were blackballing Universal movies if they did that, Disney got sued by ScarJo and had to drop $20 million + points on Black Widow just to get her to drop the lawsuit, several other actors/production companies threatened to sue Disney, WB, and Universal for making the movies available on streaming without their consent.

And after all of that, Universal and Disney quietly backed away from those commitments and WB seems to be abandoning streaming as a source of new content almost entirely and focusing on the theater.

They have pretty much successfully reversed it and reverted the industry to the pre-Covid status quo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That makes a little more sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain, everyone! It's a shame, but I at least understand where WB-Discovery are coming from now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Shazam and Aquaman 2 possibly getting delayed (again, in the case of the latter)

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554934550962339840

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That is going to be a hell of an earnings/media call tomorrow.

"We just burned a quarter of a billion dollars in a fire and are killing off some of our more popular, but expensive programming. Also, we're delaying the only things that are likely to bring us any major income to next year."

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1554938028333756416

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, quality was never the reason. It's all about that sweet tax write off. The fact that you shaft a star and directors that are people of color is probably just icing on the cake if we're really being honest.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Yeah, quality was never the reason. It's all about that sweet tax write off. The fact that you shaft a star and directors that are people of color is probably just icing on the cake if we're really being honest.

You want to back up this claim or are you just pearl clutching?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The fact that Batgirl wasn’t a theater movie in the first place probably speaks to that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The fact that Batgirl wasn’t a theater movie in the first place probably speaks to that.

No it doesn't.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/BusinessLiveSA/status/1553856520835813377

"His methods have resulted in a notable amount of homogeneity at the top of the new media giant. Given six seats on the new company’s board, Zaslav and Discovery appointed a roster of all white male directors. Most of the CEOs’ 13 direct reports, many of whom were recent hires, are white men."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm fairly sure that "deliberately making a loss for the tax write-off" is a misunderstanding of how tax laws actually work. Hollywood accounting is about recording on-paper-losses for profitable projects. It's not about *actually* losing money to earn money.

This looks more like Zaslav playing power games.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 3, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

When dealing with the DC content WB hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt in that regard yet, regardless of who's charge now. And who's in charge isn't really doing anything to change that perception thus far.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The really dumbed down version is:

- Streaming is not a reliable way to make money, especially when your shows/movies are hugely expensive.
- After the merger, the new WB/Discovery was heavily leveraged.
- Many theater chains, production companies, actors, and other talent were very mad about WB's public commitment to same day streaming and theater releases.
- The new management is cutting down expensive movies/TV shows that were going to go directly to streaming.
- The new vision for HBOMax is to pair it with Discovery+ and use it to host back catalogue stuff after they go out of theaters.
- They want to focus on turning IP they own into major movies that release in theaters to get the maximum profit from it because it is safe and they want to cut at least $3 billion in costs following the merger. Gambling on streaming or scripted TV is not a safe way to do it.

Their public media call is tomorrow and they will probably clarify/elaborate further.

It's around 25% of the cost + depreciation. They are going to take a bath on anything they vault, but their belief is that it wouldn't have made 25% of its budget back in new HBOMax subscriptions anyway.

It's funny that the smartest guys in the business are investing heavily into streaming, to the point of creating new tech (the Volume) for Star Wars stuff and producing 35 hours of streaming only material for Marvel.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't see why you want to give a guy who filled his 13 seat programming board with 13 white guys the benefit of the doubt, but okay

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darth Brooks posted:

It's funny that the smartest guys in the business are investing heavily into streaming, to the point of creating new tech (the Volume) for Star Wars stuff and producing 35 hours of streaming only material for Marvel.

The way I’m interpreting it they actually do want to do that. They want more Marvel and Star Wars type streaming originals. Big IPs with a guaranteed audience. They want less original random stuff that could be hit or miss.

At least that’s how it reads to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol

First you bring weird D&D drama in and now you're breathlessly afraid of accusations of racism in Hollywood?

Lmfao