Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Vinylshadow posted:

I hope they tuck their legs in on downward slopes :allears:

Yeeeeessss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I like the crystal pokemon. And I think the red legendary running is fine - the wheels don't have power I guess! So he pushes with his feet like a scooter. It's cute.

Flintstone Mode.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Em, that's not what I meant? The deal is the lack of level scaling means Gyms will have fixed levels, so it could be that:

a) Gyms have a level curve so in the end unless you grind it's lineal, the open world is the illusion of choice.

b) Gyms have similar level ranges, the extreme being all have the same level, but given how the later Pokemon games ends you up overleveled too easily (thanks to things like forced EXP share) you end u with streches were you just rolfstomp because level advantage in the player's side is way stronger than on the AI's side since we can strategize.

c)None of this matters because you can catch a 50 level Tyranitar with no risk and trounce the game. I'll admit this would have to be intentional on the player's side.
Scaled
Basically Pokemon is already terribly balanced so kids can play it without strategy, and I fear open world will gently caress the balance even more than it is.

My brother in christ, you control which Pokémon you battle the gyms with

It's gonna be linear scaled like every other game

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

My brother in christ Almighty Sinnoh, you control which Pokémon you battle the gyms with

It's gonna be linear scaled like every other game

Yeaaah, I'm overthinking it. If I get the game I'll just go around using the new pokemon I like and rotating them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Lux Animus posted:

I get the impression the Legendary dragonbikes have all the same transportation modes, including bike mode and all-terrain-lizard-walk mode, and we just didn't see the red one in bike mode and so people are (as always) freaking out.

Sprinting Build Koraidon is the counterpart to Drive Mode Miraidon.

It does seem that you collect your Legendary bike early in the game, pick up various transportation upgrades along the way, and likely do not actually get to use them for combat until late/postgame.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

According to the leaks (which have been mostly right on poo poo that showed up today) nope, have fun being forced on a linear adventure or grinding just to curbstomp them all!

Good, hard level scaling makes everything boring and samey. It sucks in even Bethesda game I don't want it here

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, steamrolling can be fun in theory but in practice it's pretty boring. I thought it would be funny to steamroll sw/sh with a team of legendaries, so I started a new file and went straight to the Tundra to gather them via dynamax adventures. That part of it was fun - my goal was to build a team that had as little type / generation overlap as possible, so hunting for specific mons with a group of braindead NPC's was a good challenge.

But then I went back to the game proper and got into my first battle (the Team Yell encounter at the hotel). Stomping them with a full team of legendary pokemon was fun for about a minute, but then the realization set in that without the challenge of battles and catching, the rest of the game was just going to be the story content, which isn't really the series' strong suit.

But it's not like player-controlled difficulty is a foreign concept to the franchise - nuzlockes probably wouldn't have taken off if the games were already super difficult.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
A lot people cite Oblivion as the example of bad scaling - and it is - but it's also 16 years old. The industry has iterated over scaling and it's much better now, with things like "scales only within a certain range" or "enemy gets upgraded into a different tier / something more interesting instead of stats increasing" being standard

I still prefer non-scaling just for the power curve, but it's kind of a shame because pokemon feels almost tailor-made for scaling with the way evolutions and move lists work. Show up at the electric gym at level 10 and you'd get Pikachu with Thunder Shock and Quick Attack. Show up at 40 and you'd get Raichu with Volt Switch and Wild Charge

I'm also just now realizing Tera stuff exists to encourage players to tackle a gym that's beyond their level by giving them more coverage and matchup advantages

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

A lot people cite Oblivion as the example of bad scaling - and it is - but it's also 16 years old. The industry has iterated over scaling and it's much better now, with things like "scales only within a certain range" or "enemy gets upgraded into a different tier / something more interesting instead of stats increasing" being standard

I still prefer non-scaling just for the power curve, but it's kind of a shame because pokemon feels almost tailor-made for scaling with the way evolutions and move lists work. Show up at the electric gym at level 10 and you'd get Pikachu with Thunder Shock and Quick Attack. Show up at 40 and you'd get Raichu with Volt Switch and Wild Charge

I'm also just now realizing Tera stuff exists to encourage players to tackle a gym that's beyond their level by giving them more coverage and matchup advantages

Scaling in games is still dogshit even in the more modern Bethesda releases and every other game.thats uses it. It's lazy and bad.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Plasbad posted:

Yeah, the official website mentions that you can do multiplayer stuff with local connections.

Local connections as in, we'd need a Switch each? I should have specified I'm looking for couch co-op, both of us playing on the same Switch.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
https://twitter.com/thesupremerk9s/status/1554821397234520065?s=21&t=r0HvpQSh3xyePUeTSQfH3A

I saw this and needed to share it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/frasier_looking/status/1554842329411993601

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I hope Mr. Mime is available.

For me to poop on.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like that Koraidon is stupid as gently caress in the spirit of Gremlins 2 and am solid in my commitment to Scarlet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

EorayMel posted:

I hope Mr. Mime is available.

For me to poop on.

Joke's on you, you just pooped on their Light Screen and now your poop is floating in mid-air.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

WarpDogs posted:

Don't waste your time man

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

brown wooper is not taking off to the degree of the viral early reveals of the previous games. back to the drawing board

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Wooper was perfect as is, Wooper but brown is still cool as gently caress but it's still Wooper, just slowly dying to poison because its environment forced it to live in a loving bog.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Scaling in games is still dogshit even in the more modern Bethesda releases and every other game.thats uses it. It's lazy and bad.

Scaling can be for a lot of games, but Pokemon as an old-school turn-based RPG makes using it a lot more tolerable by its very design. In Skyrim, yeah, it get stupid that past a certain point, the bandits you face could have slapped around the ancient evil you faced five hours ago. In Pokemon, finding a wild Teddiursa at level 50 when the box Legendary you got mid-game was level 40 doesn't seem that egregious.

Hogama posted:

Sprinting Build Koraidon is the counterpart to Drive Mode Miraidon.

It does seem that you collect your Legendary bike early in the game, pick up various transportation upgrades along the way, and likely do not actually get to use them for combat until late/postgame.

I can see that. I'm not sure why these legendary lizards would decide to act as a random kid's mode of transportation long before they are officially caught, but it isn't too hard to just make something up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Honestly amazed no one's drawn Fidough with Princess Leia yet

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If Bethesda can't do something well that must mean it's impossible to do well

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Procrastine posted:

I have no idea why people would think Gamefreak could do scaling right.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Procrastine posted:

Bethesda's garbage and all, but, uh, Gamefreak ain't geniuses of innovation and modern concepts.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I have no idea why people would think Gamefreak could do scaling right.

They probably wouldn't, no, but using "Bethesda did it badly" as an example of anything is very funny

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bethesda and Game Freak are similar in that both companies rely on their gamer communities to fix their broken games.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Geostomp posted:

I can see that. I'm not sure why these legendary lizards would decide to act as a random kid's mode of transportation long before they are officially caught, but it isn't too hard to just make something up.
I could see a designer wondering why not have the box legendaries actually figure into most of the game for once and the team workshopping it from there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s kinda hard to imagine how scaling would work tbqh.
like, would there be level 40 pidgeys flying around? because those wouldn’t be very difficult. but on the other hand if they evolve into pidgeotto due to scaling, would you just run out of chances to catch Pidgey after a certain point?
will trainers just scale to your level in real time or would it be based on how many badges you have? if it’s the former, what if there’s a level imbalance in your party? What if you have 5 level 5 Pokémon and 1 level 70 Pokémon, how does that work? if it’s the latter, what if you went up to each gym one after the other but then didn’t defeat the gym leader? what if you beat every trainer in the world except for the gym leaders? how would the game respond to this?
what about trainer pokemon’s EVs and IVs, movelists, abilities, their team size and composition, how would those scale up and down?

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 3, 2022

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There are simply too many variables for scaling to be realistic. Augus has the right idea of it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Augus posted:

it’s kinda hard to imagine how scaling would work tbqh.
like, would there be level 40 pidgeys flying around? because those wouldn’t be very difficult. but on the other hand if they evolve into pidgeotto due to scaling, would you just run out of chances to catch Pidgey after a certain point?
will trainers just scale to your level in real time or would it be based on how many badges you have? if it’s the former, what if there’s a level imbalance in your party? What if you have 5 level 5 Pokémon and 1 level 70 Pokémon, how does that work? if it’s the latter, what if you went up to each gym one after the other but then didn’t defeat the gym leader? what if you beat every trainer in the world except for the gym leaders? how would the game respond to this?
what about trainer pokemon’s EVs and IVs, movelists, abilities, their team size and composition, how would those scale up and down?

Given that breeding exists there's no particular reason to want to catch specifically Pidgey/the base form of any line.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Breeding is annoying and takes longer than 'go to the route this Pokemon is on'

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Progression will be looser but I predict it will still enforce artificial limits in the same way as in Sw/Sh's Wild Areas: held gym badges will limit what areas are "off limits" either due to travel mode restrictions and/or due to high level pokemon being uncatchable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Procrastine posted:

A lot of other open world games poo poo their pants with it and also gamefrrak are not strong designers mechanically and you haven't looked at a pokemon game if you think it'd be included in anything other than the worst way possible

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Supremezero posted:

Given that breeding exists there's no particular reason to want to catch specifically Pidgey/the base form of any line.

That's always been an optional gameplay element. Or should have been. Baby Pokemon themselves have little value beyond being dex filler.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

That's always been an optional gameplay element. Or should have been. Baby Pokemon themselves have little value beyond being dex filler.

they have plenty of value for merchandizing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But seriously I only ever saw scaling done well in Breath of the Wild, and they did it simply by replacing the version of the monster you're beating up with a tougher version that was a different color.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
After how braindead sword was, why does anyone expect complex level scaling or any challenge here whatsoever?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Augus posted:

they have plenty of value for merchandizing

clearly not enough of one. we haven't had ANY Baby Pokemon for how many gens, now?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The only baby Pokemon I ever see merchandized at all is Pichu

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nodosaur posted:

clearly not enough of one. we haven't had ANY Baby Pokemon for how many gens, now?

... 0. Toxel's a baby pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Supremezero posted:

... 0. Toxel's a baby pokemon.

Is it? It's certainly baby-like but in operation it's just a stage 1 Pokemon.