Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Isn’t non-violent assault an oxymoron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

violence against women

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I think the only thing I like at all about today's ruling is the team therapist rule because when he inevitably gets caught doing this poo poo again and still using social media to do it, it will hopefully be an indefinite suspension because he'll have violated the terms of the first ruling.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The NFL is run by morons.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

1/3 of a calvin ridley gramboling suspension

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yes. it's a stupid statement.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t understand this. Why is a judge deciding how long an athlete is suspended? Don’t they do…law stuff? Suspending him is an admission he’s guilty but he’s not facing any jail time.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sponges posted:

I don’t understand this. Why is a judge deciding how long an athlete is suspended? Don’t they do…law stuff? Suspending him is an admission he’s guilty but he’s not facing any jail time.

She’s an ex judge and now independent arbitrator. And also stupid.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1553889675282112513

This phrasing doesn't fill me with confidence that there'll be a very heavy punishment

I mean he is the browns qb. That is the worst the nfl can do. The criminal justice system has already failed society.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Force Watson to play under Hue.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is going to be hard to imagine a case where I will not be rooting for the Browns to be destroyed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
TFF will have a collective :psyberger: if Watson leads the Browns to a championship.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Android Apocalypse posted:

TFF will have a collective :psyberger: if Watson leads the Browns to a championship.

It's the Browns though, so the odds of that happening are pretty low

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nodoze posted:

It's the Browns though, so the odds of that happening are pretty low

I’ve never worried about anything less in my life.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Watson hasn't taken a snap in a game in 576 days and it will be another 82 at least, I'm pretty confident that the Browns won't be winning poo poo this year or next which is probably going to result in a mass round of coach and GM firings in Cleveland.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

DariusLikewise posted:

Watson hasn't taken a snap in a game in 576 days and it will be another 82 at least, I'm pretty confident that the Browns won't be winning poo poo this year or next which is probably going to result in a mass round of coach and GM firings in Cleveland.

lol imagine coming in for an interview to try to steer that clusterfuck

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Freaquency posted:

lol imagine coming in for an interview to try to steer that clusterfuck

I think most would-be head coaches would jump at the chance to coach a team with a top QB and a defense like that, regardless of how dysfunctional it was.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Also, as always, there's only 32 such positions in the world and if you're in a position to interview for one chances are you're either young and unproven or looking for another chance after being fired so no one is gonna be picky at the NFL level

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DariusLikewise posted:

Seems like everyone should be able to pretty credibly fall back on "this season was a write-off, wait until we get a full season of Watson after he's served the suspension and shaken off the rust" and get a mulligan.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Seems like everyone should be able to pretty credibly fall back on "this season was a write-off, wait until we get a full season of Watson after he's served the suspension and shaken off the rust" and get a mulligan.

Haslam is also the least patient and unfortunately one of the more actively involved owners. The Browns are very much subject to his whims and he might not see it as Stefanski having one good season, a season with an injured QB, and a season with a suspended QB, but rather 3 seasons and only 1 successful. He would have to be stupid to think that, but he is in fact stupid.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Haslam is absolutely one of the most reactionary owners in football.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

people also think the talent level of every team is that team's previous record except for their own team where they take injuries and other issues into account. the browns are ready to contend and if their backup qb can win at least 2 games they probably will

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

just kidding. quote this part in if i'm wrong later and don't add it if i'm right

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
That's all true but you forgot to include the "are the Browns" tax

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

wilderthanmild posted:

Haslam is also the least patient and unfortunately one of the more actively involved owners. The Browns are very much subject to his whims and he might not see it as Stefanski having one good season, a season with an injured QB, and a season with a suspended QB, but rather 3 seasons and only 1 successful. He would have to be stupid to think that, but he is in fact stupid.

Counterpoint: Stefanski is a galaxy brained moron

He also coaches the Browns

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Counterpoint: Stefanski is a galaxy brained moron

He also coaches the Browns

I’d coach the Brown’s if I got millions a year too.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1554921824173150208?t=AI2SjWMRKwTyXvpl6On63g&s=19

Do something right for a change, Goodell.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m honestly surprised they are doing this. I assumed they would just pull a we tried

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Goodell can just ride in and say look we went through the process but the result was obviously nonsense so I must once again take charge and, for once, be on the right side of something

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In the grand scheme of things, the difference between a six game suspension and a seventeen game suspension doesn't really even seem to be worth getting anyone's dander up. Beyond the most terminally Shield-brained talking heads, how many people who think a six game suspension is woefully inadequate are going to think a seventeen game suspension is justice served? I mean, I guess the main difference is that it definitively trashes this season for the Browns, but c'mon, it's the Browns; every season is DOA.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they get to call it an indefinite suspension despite not being that. So it’s got that

Nov 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

In the grand scheme of things, the difference between a six game suspension and a seventeen game suspension doesn't really even seem to be worth getting anyone's dander up. Beyond the most terminally Shield-brained talking heads, how many people who think a six game suspension is woefully inadequate are going to think a seventeen game suspension is justice served? I mean, I guess the main difference is that it definitively trashes this season for the Browns, but c'mon, it's the Browns; every season is DOA.

There is a big difference between taking six games and entire season away from someone in their prime. I mean, I can't believe I have to say this.

Hell, I believe he also won't even be able to practice the whole year with the team.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

General Dog posted:

I think a season is better. It's not because it's justice served, but it provides literally any line in the sand for a disciplinary system that doesn't give a single poo poo. It's a sign to players that being a "national embarrassment to the League" with your conduct has teeth.

It's a situation where the Texans are rewarded for being enablers if he gets a full season, & the Browns get a single championship window if they kick the can down a year through the appeals process.

I kind of think the NFL/Goddell is hoping Watson keeps fighting to start suspending him when the money comes in.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Lawyer with a long rear end thread on the decision and further process

https://twitter.com/DrewDavenportFF/status/1554241920561516544?s=20&t=LWP60AaCL9C-lotmfS4FzA

tldr: judge worded things in a way that could prove difficult if the NFL decides to appeal.

Nov 6, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Lawyer with a long rear end thread on the decision and further process

https://twitter.com/DrewDavenportFF/status/1554241920561516544?s=20&t=LWP60AaCL9C-lotmfS4FzA

tldr: judge worded things in a way that could prove difficult if the NFL decides to appeal.

Is this lawyer actually familiar with the CBA and the precedents that have already been decided? Because it surely doesn't read that way.

Also this tidbit is very interesting. Perhaps they were smart for not putting him on the exemption list after all.

https://twitter.com/DrewDavenportFF/status/1554241966057086977

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

He's criminal defense so probably not familiar with the particulars. Thought it was still interesting enough to post.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its important to note that Goodell can simply appoint himself the judge of this appeal and therefore none of the clever legal arguments made in the first ruling matter an ounce if he doesn't want them to. All he'll have to do is have some of the league's lawyers write it up in plausible legalese. The PA will sue of course as they should but that's what is likely to happen from here, I imagine.

Also from that thread a specific thing that annoys me is her contention that he is a "first time offender." He's a first time got-caughter. He's at least a 24-time offender. This might be how it's legally defined but its ridiculous on a normal-person level.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fast cars loose anus posted:

Also from that thread a specific thing that annoys me is her contention that he is a "first time offender." He's a first time got-caughter. He's at least a 24-time offender. This might be how it's legally defined but its ridiculous on a normal-person level.

Jack the Ripper: 0th time offender.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked this part of that Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/drewdavenportff/status/1554241949611204608?s=21&t=B3osLX69EeIYqboOYrGEhg

Seems like a "you made your bed in how you handled the Ray Rice incident, now you have to lie in it" statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Android Apocalypse posted:

I liked this part of that Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/drewdavenportff/status/1554241949611204608?s=21&t=B3osLX69EeIYqboOYrGEhg

Seems like a "you made your bed in how you handled the Ray Rice incident, now you have to lie in it" statement.

I mean, seems more like “you’ve made your bed and now the women being assaulted by your players will have to lie in it because it would be unfair to seriously punish violence against women now if you didn’t in the past.”