Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sakurazuka posted:

What was wrong with RF5 other than how it runs on Switch lol

Made my wife and I wear wedding dresses when I wanted us to both be in tuxedos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

They haven't revealed much about the logistics of the legendary yet. It appears to be your HM Bitch. But does it take up a party slot?

Even then, one of those things I always forget bout until I'm actually playing one of the newer Pokemon games is that you can swap Pokemon from your box wherever you are now that they're not constrained to Gameboy era memory limitations.

It's the optics of it for me that feel off; Pokemon's always been about "You and the poke-friends you made along the way" and the sheer permutations that can take to make and train your party. Going off the trailer, being about "You and The Legendary that's super-cool and awesome traveling everywhere (plus other pokemon for fighting)" just feels a little too... immutable for a main-line Pokemon game to me.

But yeah, definitely gotta see how it shakes out in future previews to get a better idea of what it'll actually be like.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 8 but demake of Megaman Power Battle & Power Fighters that released on the Neo Geo Pocket Color back in 2000 has apparently been ported to the Switch Eshop (completely untranslated for whatever reason):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WNsHR9xPAqA

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
ScarVi looks cool to me. The big gimmick here being a surprise type change sounds like a cool one, and I'm intrigued there's two other stories beyond the standard gym battle one. Kinda curious to see how the open world is handled, and really how well the game will run between that and previous games' technical issues.

Looking forward to it!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
re: Couch co-op, Gotta Protectors is on sale: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/gotta-protectors-cart-of-darkness-switch/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PowerBeard posted:

Ouch, feel bad for people who were hoping for a big shake up. You got pokemon with different crystal hats...

what kind of "big shake up" are people honestly expecting

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

They should just make a hard mode, honestly. Every release we get the grown men complaining about how the kids game is a kids game. Give them something to really cry about.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bug Squash posted:

They should just make a hard mode, honestly. Every release we get the grown men complaining about how the kids game is a kids game. Give them something to really cry about.

They should force them to play Dark Rising or Reborn with no external help. Have fun, "hardcores"!

I'm kidding, forcing someone to play Pokemon Reborn is a war crime.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Augus posted:

Give Pokemon trainers a gun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Augus posted:

People want to kiss the Pokemon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anyway the crystal pokemon gimmick seems pretty dumb ngl
they kinda perfectly demonstrated why it’s dumb by giving away a flying type pikachu for free

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 3, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

anyway the crystal pokemon gimmick seems pretty dumb ngl
What seems dumb about it OP?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Cyrstal Onix was cool in the anime, glad hes being ported to the games apparently but it wont make me buy it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bug Squash posted:

Yeah give all enemies 5x HP

:gamefreak:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I didn't watch the trailer because I want to go into it with as little knowledge as possible and I can tell you the new Pokemon games will kick rear end.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

What seems dumb about it OP?

i mean for all the issues dynamax had as a mechanic it at least had a certain spectacle to it
this is just, like, they put a hat on?
also having to guess what type your opponent’s Pokémon actually is seems like it’d be pretty annoying

Mega64
May 23, 2008

When a Pokemon goes crystal a giant thing appears above their head that shows what type they are. You'll have to be ready for any of the Pokemon on the team to potentially have some unique Tera-type, but once it Teraforms you'll know what that type is.

Really interested to see how this shakes up competitive.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega64 posted:

When a Pokemon goes crystal a giant thing appears above their head that shows what type they are.

But if it works at all like Dynamax, you’ll only see that after you’ve both already selected your attacks, right? So it’s be like, you use earthquake, pikachu turns flying type, pikachu dodges the earthquake, pikachu gets a free turn.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 3, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

also having to guess what type your opponent’s Pokémon actually is seems like it’d be pretty annoying
I think it sounds cool and might open up a ton of new strategy as well as give people endgame farming goals by search for a specific Pokémon + teratype combination for their party.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Augus posted:

But if it works at all like Dynamax, you’ll only see that after you’ve both already selected your attacks, right? So it’s be like, you use earthquake, pikachu turns flying type, pikachu dodges the earthquake, pikachu gets a free turn.

Yeah, but you can also do the same thing, and it still relies a lot on nailing your prediction, which is already a huge part of competitive Pokemon.

In concept, this actually seems like the best gimmick they've come up with since they've started the whole Megas/Z-Moves/Dynamax thing. You can get a second/third STAB, and you may have to make a decision on whether you want to go with a defensive type like Steel or Dragon or whether you might want to go with a more offensive type like Ice to buff your Ice Beam attack.

Of course, we'll have to wait to see how this pans out in practice. Still, I'm definitely intrigued.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Bug Squash posted:

The one time they made a hard mode it ended up easier than normal mode because of the massive amount of XP you got

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

kids games don't have to be devoid of any challenge. Kids aren't as dumb as developers think.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If kids are so smart, why don't they get a drat job and make better games? :smuggo:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Upsidads posted:

Also HOLY loving poo poo
spoilers as in its music that will spoil you for XENOBLADE 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKsOyTB98As
This is boss music

Soooooooooooo, do you need to have played any of the Xeno series at all to play XB3? :stare:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

American McGay posted:

Idk I don’t play Pokémon but being able to change your pokemon’s type mid battle and also have that type be hidden until you change seems like a pretty big strategic shakeup.

If it works that way it’s a very big change to the online battles especially. So much of making a good team is about type coverage both offensively and defensively and you can do some crazy stuff with this. In the trailer alone - pikachu turns into a flying type. Pikachu is only weak to ground and nothing else. Flying is immune to ground. So you go from killing it in a hit to doing 0 damage which changed the entire fight - but really depends on how this works, how “fast” it is etc

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The gimmick of sword shield was “give one Pokémon more HP” which is not incredibly exciting. It looks flashy and some Pokémon got special moves but for the most part they weren’t very good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AlternateNu posted:

Soooooooooooo, do you need to have played any of the Xeno series at all to play XB3? :stare:

Nope

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If it works that way it’s a very big change to the online battles especially. So much of making a good team is about type coverage both offensively and defensively and you can do some crazy stuff with this. In the trailer alone - pikachu turns into a flying type. Pikachu is only weak to ground and nothing else. Flying is immune to ground. So you go from killing it in a hit to doing 0 damage which changed the entire fight - but really depends on how this works, how “fast” it is etc

Or a more realistic competitive example, you take a broken mon like Landorus T and suddenly oops he's water now your ice punch deals nothing (if it replaces the typing completely) and now he Sword Danced.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Or a more realistic competitive example, you take a broken mon like Landorus T and suddenly oops he's water now your ice punch deals nothing (if it replaces the typing completely) and now he Sword Danced.

Oh god lol

I wonder if it will tell you what the mon can change into? That way at least there’s a bit of the guessing game of do I ice punch or expect the type switch and try to target that. I initially thought in the trailer every mon would have a fixed type it can switch to until they showed the eevee

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh god lol

I wonder if it will tell you what the mon can change into? That way at least there’s a bit of the guessing game of do I ice punch or expect the type switch and try to target that. I initially thought in the trailer every mon would have a fixed type it can switch to until they showed the eevee

Probably there will be a set group of types, so they can release special ones on events. but as it looks it's hidden until used.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The gimmick of sword shield was “give one Pokémon more HP” which is not incredibly exciting. It looks flashy and some Pokémon got special moves but for the most part they weren’t very good

More HP and turn all your moves into accuracy-ignoring typed Hyper Beam with side effects attached, the most common of which were spread stat up/downs and other setup moves.

It had some interesting applications in VGC but it was a disaster for singles since it was free setup turns where you also kicked your opponent's teeth in with a ghetto Z-Move and had double HP so it was difficult to just DPS through.

E: The final straw was giving Choice item Pokemons ways to break their choice for coverage or to set up since going big also turned off Choice Items for the duration for some reason.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 3, 2022

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Nah. It's kind of like Nier Automata/Replicant. Don't need to know about the series, but added context adds to the experience.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pungry posted:

I didn't watch the trailer because I want to go into it with as little knowledge as possible and I can tell you the new Pokemon games will kick rear end.

Skipping all the pokémon chat to second this.

Though I will add that since gen 4 there has been a consistent pattern of the first game released on a new platform being a weaker entry, while the second gen on the platform is not. Gens 5 and 7 were hell of a lot better than the games surrounding them, and gen 9 kicking rear end fits that pattern.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Harvestella looks tight tight tight.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Augus posted:

You play as a pokemon who is able to crush Oak to death and escape captivity, evade capture from obsessive trainers as you make your way across the country to your family, obliterating any who get in your way. Liberate others from their trainers along the way and some might join your party.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The new crystal Pokemon gimmick looks ugly as poo poo. What a horrible aesthetic.

I’ve been horribly bored with the series since X&Y. Nice even finished Sun of Sword. I’m glad nothing from these trailers excites me.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

The new motorcycle Pokemon remind me of Johnny from Chrono Trigger

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Postman posted:

The new motorcycle Pokemon remind me of Johnny from Chrono Trigger

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Electromax posted:

You play as a pokemon who is able to crush Oak to death and escape captivity, evade capture from obsessive trainers as you make your way across the country to your family, obliterating any who get in your way. Liberate others from their trainers along the way and some might join your party.

Wanna play Primeape Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
New Pokemon looks good to me but I loved Sword and Shield so maybe I'm out of touch with current Pokemon discourse