Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I have never felt more invincible in this game than I have while playing a Crab Spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Just got to remember that right from the beginning CoH was designed for team play, and has numerous ways of making that as easy as possible that even modern MMOs don't come close to matching.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Unless you're very big on single-target damage, turning yourself down to -1 and upping the number of enemies can be a great way to feel like you're making a lot of progress when solo. That's the big thrill I get out of a lot of teaming, seeing crowds drop in threes and fours.

Ran an SBB earlier today, I was getting a few threads on a daily for my grav/time controller, saw it in the LFG channel, and figured why not. Part of it was obviously because it was with a brute, scrapper, and blaster, but stacking Time Crawl and Time Stop on AVs shuts their regen right the heck down. Everyone melted.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Ironslave posted:

I have never felt more invincible in this game than I have while playing a Crab Spider.

Yeah both of the villain epic ATs are really comfortable all the way up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ironslave posted:

All Crab ITF was one of the most fun things I've been a part of.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I only ran one character mostly solo and it was my first, an MA/SR scrapper. All my alts were group only regardless of the build.

I doubt anyone actually cares if you're not pulling weight. They might get suspicious if you don't have IOs after 27 but even then, as far as I could tell literally nobody cared until you're doing incarnate trials.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Doing story arcs with about 2 or 3 people with mob size set for a group about 2 members larger is the real sweet spot for me. You can't just steamroll everything like an 8 hero group, but it's not so tough that you wipe without optimal strategy.

Edit: also if you're making a fire farm character just farm from level 1 at -1+0 until you feel comfortable and then gradually increase the level and mob size until you hit your +4/8 goal.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Potsticker posted:

All Crab ITF was one of the most fun things I've been a part of.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Soonmot posted:

Doing story arcs with about 2 or 3 people with mob size set for a group about 2 members larger is the real sweet spot for me. You can't just steamroll everything like an 8 hero group, but it's not so tough that you wipe without optimal strategy.

Seriously, I love this sweet spot and 99% of teams would rather crank to +4/x8 and leave it there. The one big downside of automatic sidekicking is that people have long since forgotten that SKs are level adjusted to -1 so I always end up tickling purples (assuming I even hit them) much more often than I'd like. I've never understood why people would rather fight brick walls of +5 mobs instead of buzzsaw through giant swarms of -1 to +1s. It's probably better XP per minute too!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Acurrate.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

A lot of people only solo on fire brutes doing farming architect missions, and then use the cash to pimp out their level 25 characters for a reason.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

Seriously, I love this sweet spot and 99% of teams would rather crank to +4/x8 and leave it there. The one big downside of automatic sidekicking is that people have long since forgotten that SKs are level adjusted to -1 so I always end up tickling purples (assuming I even hit them) much more often than I'd like. I've never understood why people would rather fight brick walls of +5 mobs instead of buzzsaw through giant swarms of -1 to +1s. It's probably better XP per minute too!

+4 enemies, you deal slightly less than half damage and get slightly less than twice as much exp. IMO, being able to handle x8 mob density is massively more important than +4 level adjustment.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm going to try to write a bio for Dr. Frostbyte here. Something like making him a sort of anti-Mr Freeze. Like maybe he shoves his wife into a cryogenic chamber and sells her off for medical experiments or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something that occurred to me while I was messing around with builds in Mids - I've only played on Homecoming, have any of the other private servers ever tried to remove ED? HC seems to be focused mostly on maintaining the idea of the game as it was at shutdown and not deviating too far from what the devs might have done with it in live, but I am curious if anyone has just gone "gently caress it, let's break the game as hard as we can".

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

All I want is the ability to have a Mastermind with Clones.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the first time since my years of on and off playing I've finally gotten around to making a decent IOs and getting a rad/fire brute in to AE farms and dang looket those numbers

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something that occurred to me while I was messing around with builds in Mids - I've only played on Homecoming, have any of the other private servers ever tried to remove ED? HC seems to be focused mostly on maintaining the idea of the game as it was at shutdown and not deviating too far from what the devs might have done with it in live, but I am curious if anyone has just gone "gently caress it, let's break the game as hard as we can".

I wouldn't say the HC people are too tied to what the OG Vision(TM) was at all, in particular the tremendous buffs to Blaster end/health sustain and Tanker damage. They're also about to give all the armor sets some psionic/toxic resistance.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Platonicsolid posted:

You could just make the same costume for all your minions on Thunderspy, couldn't you?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Platonicsolid posted:

Illusion control letsyour phantom army be you now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I wouldn't say the HC people are too tied to what the OG Vision(TM) was at all, in particular the tremendous buffs to Blaster end/health sustain and Tanker damage. They're also about to give all the armor sets some psionic/toxic resistance.

Yeah but these are all things that could reasonably have been expected to happen on live, I was asking about ED, something where removing it would 100% annihilate the balance of the game given that so much of the already pretty game-breaking stuff like IO set bonuses was balanced with it already being a thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No I understand what you're asking (and I had not heard of such a thing but I haven't gone looking either) I'm just saying the OG devs had very different notions of what tanks and blasters should play like. Maybe they could have evolved more to the current team's outlook on general gameplay but I doubt it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The blaster sustain changes were in beta on closure and were almost certainly going live. I don’t think tankers sucking less is a wild departure but ymmv

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh heck you're right, they were, and I even spent a lot of time on the test server playing them (blasters) towards the end :confused:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it should really be common courtesy to say what difficulty you're setting missions to, especialy TFs. ive had to disconnect from like three tfs over the past few days because something that normally takes 30 minutes is going to last hours

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
That's mainly why I don't go on pickup groups for the ITF anymore. For the most part I'd prefer to run on cruise control at +0 or +1.

I think the worst I've ever been on was like a +3 Positron TF because of the leader disconnecting. Ruin Mages! :argh:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
why would you run posi 1 or 2 at any increased difficulty? You just give the star to whoever is the highest level since half the group is going to be between 8-10.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Because you've only ever run AE content and you know higher level mobs = more xp. The last two pubbie posi 1s I joined each had 40+ deaths. It was awful.

The playerbase is at a weird point right now where it's largely... new players no longer being carried by vets who've had their fill and moved on. Why are new people playing this in 2022? I wish I knew.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

it should really be common courtesy to say what difficulty you're setting missions to, especialy TFs. ive had to disconnect from like three tfs over the past few days because something that normally takes 30 minutes is going to last hours

yeah people should be very up front about this, I always am and you shouldn't feel weird about this. People should also be aware that when someone tells you up front that it's at +4 they're going to be killing a lot of stuff.

Soonmot posted:

why would you run posi 1 or 2 at any increased difficulty? You just give the star to whoever is the highest level since half the group is going to be between 8-10.

that's actually the one where you want to be lower level, below 12 (I think) and you don't get Ruin Mages spamming Earthquake at you.

S.D. posted:

That's mainly why I don't go on pickup groups for the ITF anymore. For the most part I'd prefer to run on cruise control at +0 or +1.

the 45+ range starts making a lot of sense to turn up your difficulty because a) people tend to be level shifted +1 b) people are finished leveling and gearing and have all their incarnate poo poo together, and it ends up being pretty fast anyway to do full clears at +4

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 3, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just had a newbie in the group i led through posi 1 and 2, it was fun explaining things like where the parking garage is in faultline and how to use the jets in the drat mission.

Only wipe we had was a lovely ambush spawn in the orenbega map. We stomped the ambushes in the vhaz office building and melted the shadow clones. I've also now been leading my posi2 groups to the hidden exploration badge on the faultline docs after we beat the Dr, since someone just showed it to me last week.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am genuinely thrilled to find brand new people and show them how to do poo poo and get around, it's a high point of playing for me :)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The best dev event would be one where Oranbega gets nuked and every Oranbega mission is now just a cave door with an "Under Construction" sign out front that you click to complete.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Soonmot posted:

why would you run posi 1 or 2 at any increased difficulty?

In this specific case it was that we were 2 missions in and the leader disconnected, so we all got shifted down to a person who had left their difficulty on +4 (which you can't see on other people in TF mode). "Well how hard could it be?" we said.

Welp.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

S.D. posted:

In this specific case it was that we were 2 missions in and the leader disconnected, so we all got shifted down to a person who had left their difficulty on +4 (which you can't see on other people in TF mode). "Well how hard could it be?" we said.

Welp.

Unless it was all the one mission, you can turn down your difficulty between missions, even on a TF, and it'll take. There's a "Notoreity" section in the emote bubble if the 4XP agents aren't talking to you.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

This is my sisters song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8LNPeVPMIo

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does team size notoriety work when you're in a team? I was running story missions today and it didn't seem like more enemies were spawning for us

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if it's larger than current team size when you enter a mission, yes

changing it after you've entered, no

making it smaller than team size, no

if you add people to team after entering it won't spawn more enemies to compensate, the entire map's contents are spawned when one person enters the map.*

*not counting a very few cases where additional spawns may be triggered after entering like ambushes or whatever

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay so my four person team should have fighting 6 person mobs. Weird

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I've always been kind of overwhelmed at the amount of options at level up. Is there a good first time 1 to 50 guide I should check out or should I just keep throwing myself at it?

I decided on Claws/Regen, if that helps.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Okay so my four person team should have fighting 6 person mobs. Weird

It's not 1 mob to 1 player if that's what you mean, 8 player spawns have 16ish mobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

It's not 1 mob to 1 player if that's what you mean, 8 player spawns have 16ish mobs

No I know that, we weren't getting the density I'd expect in a six hero group. Like I didn't see any difference between the 4 hero spawns we had previously, and 6 hero we changed the next mission too.

wizard2 posted:

I decided on Claws/Regen, if that helps.

I'm sorry.

(But I also don't know)