Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fangz posted:

I'm fairly sure that "deliberately making a loss for the tax write-off" is a misunderstanding of how tax laws actually work. Hollywood accounting is about recording on-paper-losses for profitable projects. It's not about *actually* losing money to earn money.

This looks more like Zaslav playing power games.

Pretty much. Taking a bath on a $90M production to make back maybe $20M in tax write offs is bizarre when a theatrical push, even without beefing the budget up would probably at least break even over the long run. And that's including a small marketing push. I genuinely think it'd be hard for a movie with the Bat logo attached to make less than $100M back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

STAC Goat posted:

The way I’m interpreting it they actually do want to do that. They want more Marvel and Star Wars type streaming originals. Big IPs with a guaranteed audience. They want less original random stuff that could be hit or miss.

At least that’s how it reads to me.

Original random stuff is most of what Marvel is creating for streaming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

It's funny that the smartest guys in the business are investing heavily into streaming, to the point of creating new tech (the Volume) for Star Wars stuff and producing 35 hours of streaming only material for Marvel.

They're also not spending $45 million per hour of content though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darth Brooks posted:

Original random stuff is most of what Marvel is creating for streaming.
All under the massive Marvel brand so there’s a built in audience and draw. It sounds like they want more of that and to use DC in the same way. They just don’t want to make as many shows like Raised by Wolves or The Flight Attendant that are more of a gamble.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

When dealing with the DC content WB hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt in that regard yet, regardless of who's charge now. And who's in charge isn't really doing anything to change that perception thus far.

The stated reasons so far have been tax break, they wanted the movie to be a theater releases and couldn't make it work, and it was poo poo.

On top of that the new owners have been canceling and cutting tons of other content. They gutted TBS and TNT.

This story is about vulture capitalists. This is how that process works. They come in and begin strip mining a company for easy money, cut costs and downsize, sell off bits they can make a buck, load the company with massive debt, then finally file bankruptcy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They're also not spending $45 million per hour of content though.

They're spending $30-40M per hour.

F&TWS was budgeted at around $150M and the final episodes clock in at a little under 5 hours of material. Moon Knight is less screen time and a slightly higher price tag.

And let's not talk about the oceans of cash Bezos is spending on LOTR

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't worry everyone, the only thing that matters is that we're still getting Gotham Knights on CW. Thank God for that!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Mr Hootington posted:

The stated reasons so far have been tax break, they wanted the movie to be a theater releases and couldn't make it work, and it was poo poo.

On top of that the new owners have been canceling and cutting tons of other content. They gutted TBS and TNT.

This story is about vulture capitalists. This is how that process works. They come in and begin strip mining a company for easy money, cut costs and downsize, sell off bits they can make a buck, load the company with massive debt, then finally file bankruptcy.

All the while not caring to understand the business they are destroying.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well I guess I can cancel HBO Max now. Which sucks because I think it was the best streaming service for a large collection of films and shows. Guess I better see if Peacemaker and Harley are on blu ray.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Oswalt spilling beans on something that will probably be revealed at D23:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1554959027439693824

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Darth Brooks posted:

All the while not caring to understand the business they are destroying.

When you say "not caring to understand the business" you aren't wrong.

https://twitter.com/strohltopia/status/1554636402830331906?t=izsKBpNpUqsPIqy_D63A0Q&s=19

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Oh jesus christ Zaslav is a Jeck Welch guy. Sorry WB, you're about to decline into complete irrelevance.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Jerry Maguire line is pretty funny, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The whole thing is just part of the 'infinite growth' grift, right? Because there's no world where taking a reasonably profitable company like Discovery, leveraging the poo poo out of it to buy WB... just to turn it into basically more Discovery makes sense otherwise... just keep doing what you're doing and DON'T take on billions in debt and interest payments.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

The whole thing is just part of the 'infinite growth' grift, right? Because there's no world where taking a reasonably profitable company like Discovery, leveraging the poo poo out of it to buy WB... just to turn it into basically more Discovery makes sense otherwise... just keep doing what you're doing and DON'T take on billions in debt and interest payments.

Yes and discovery was considered overvalued during the brrrrrring years

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

oh boy can't wait :geno:

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

AngryBooch posted:

Is that a threat?

Looks like Disney would benefit from a Zaslav of their own

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eternals was great so this is great :buddy:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Super glad we're getting more eternals because after that stinger I've been waiting for the white guy whose power is making people want to gently caress him

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hootington deciding that they need some receipts on WB screwing people of color is the heel turn this thread needed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm disappointed, but I think they have successfully put the genie back in the bottle. Universal and Disney were very positive on same day streaming releases and committed to doing them going forward for some major releases. Then, theater chains announced they were blackballing Universal movies if they did that, Disney got sued by ScarJo and had to drop $20 million + points on Black Widow just to get her to drop the lawsuit, several other actors/production companies threatened to sue Disney, WB, and Universal for making the movies available on streaming without their consent.

And after all of that, Universal and Disney quietly backed away from those commitments and WB seems to be abandoning streaming as a source of new content almost entirely and focusing on the theater.

They have pretty much successfully reversed it and reverted the industry to the pre-Covid status quo.
No, I get that everyone’s gone back to theatrical-first. But the audience isn’t following them; the box office this year has consistently been known IP, can’t-miss blockbusters, or silence. Any movie smaller than a four quadrant tentpole is not making money, and I think that’s the new status quo. People will go to the theater for the really big stuff and wait to stream anything remotely smaller.

STAC Goat posted:

The way I’m interpreting it they actually do want to do that. They want more Marvel and Star Wars type streaming originals. Big IPs with a guaranteed audience. They want less original random stuff that could be hit or miss.

At least that’s how it reads to me.
Right, which is why they refused to go forward with streaming originals from such unproven IP as… *checks notes* Batman and Scooby Doo.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Eternals Two, more like Eternals Snooze

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Hootington deciding that they need some receipts on WB screwing people of color is the heel turn this thread needed.

Yeah in the case of the Batgirl vaulting I do. Until then I believe this was a purely capitalistic greed driven decision. This isn't the only program having been shitcanned since the merger.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Vault this and give us batgirl

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah in the case of the Batgirl vaulting I do. Until then I believe this was a purely capitalistic greed driven decision. This isn't the only program having been shitcanned since the merger.

Tsujihara ran WB into the loving ground dude. (barring a few gems amongst an overwhelming sea of garbage) Literally alll of those IPs have turned to poo poo under his ownership

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Eternals was great so this is great :buddy:

Would people really do that? Just go on the internet and say things that aren't true?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Eternals was fine.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eternals wasn't top tier or anything but I'll rewatch it over The Dark World or something

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Eternals was good, if perhaps a little baggy, and improves massively upon a rewatch. It's certainly better (for me, YMMV) than Shang-Chi (which I liked but have zero desire to see again), Thor 4 which is patchy AF, and Multiverse of Madness which is the worst ever MCU film, just utter dogshit.

Of course we all have different opinions, but I'm still annoyed that of all the MCU films where the reviews decided to give a collective group kicking, it was the one that focused on location shooting over greenscreen and which tried to do something different from the usual formula.

Day one for Eternals 2 for me.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

Eternals was good, if perhaps a little baggy, and improves massively upon a rewatch. It's certainly better (for me, YMMV) than Shang-Chi (which I liked but have zero desire to see again), Thor 4 which is patchy AF, and Multiverse of Madness which is the worst ever MCU film, just utter dogshit.

Of course we all have different opinions, but I'm still annoyed that of all the MCU films where the reviews decided to give a collective group kicking, it was the one that focused on location shooting over greenscreen and which tried to do something different from the usual formula.

Day one for Eternals 2 for me.

i disagree vehemently

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Parkingtigers posted:

and Multiverse of Madness which is the worst ever MCU film, just utter dogshit.

I know this thread loves to slalom back and forth between reactionary hot takes just for fun but

what the gently caress?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Eternals wasn't top tier or anything but I'll rewatch it over The Dark World or something

I'd still rank TDW higher if only because Loki has enough charisma to drag the rest of it up. Eternals doesn't have that at all.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Eternals is very boring. All the long flashbacks really kill the momentum and turn it into a slog. The Dark World at least has all the silly Darcy/Selvig stuff.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know this thread loves to slalom back and forth between reactionary hot takes just for fun but

what the gently caress?

That's my honest emotional reaction to the film. I slurp these dumb movies down like candy and the only film in the entire series that I've disliked before this is the original Incredible Hulk. I went in expecting MoM to be a Good Time, and was actively bored and fidgeting the entire runtime. I took a mate along, an MCU disliker, and it was only because he was there (and my investment in the franchise as a whole) that stopped me from walking out halfway. And I've only ever bailed on a movie in the cinema once in my whole life.

Listen, I know other people like it, and here I am defending Eternals which I like a lot which most people seem not to dig, so we all enjoy different things. All I can tell you is that I was surprised and disappointed by how actively bad I found MoM.

This isn't a hot take to swim against the tide here, there's no high ground to be had defending/slating a superhero film. Hell, I enjoyed The Dark World and think that while it doesn't hit the highs of Love and Thunder, it doesn't drag as much either, so I rank it about LaT purely because it's more consistent overall.

Elizabeth Olsen loving smashed it though, she did nothing wrong and it's not her fault that everything around it was limp and boring.

Honestly though, I think the problem is that Doctor Strange is not a lead character. He's so loving boring, yet he makes a fantastic foil in shorter scenes or in a background role like in Ragnarok or No Way Home. It's hard to care about a guy whose supporting cast is an ex-girlfriend he split with 8 years ago, a villain who vanished off the face of the planet, and an assistant who is now his boss (and who caves to a multiversal threat in 5 seconds making him look like a clown and I *hate* that the film makes Wong look bad).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eternals is watchable but if you think it's good then you must acknowledge you're easy to please or have bad taste.

Sorry I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Atleast we got a new Matrix out of the whole ordeal, sure it sucked but

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Aphrodite posted:

Eternals is watchable but if you think it's good then you must acknowledge you're easy to please or have bad taste.

Sorry I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

I have it ranked at place 16 (out of 35) on my list of all the movies and D+ series. It's absolutely a bit baggy in places, and I can't decide if the movie is too long, or not long enough, but on a second viewing (as with most longer films) I found the pacing much better and the emotional stuff hit way harder. I feel like if there are MCU movies I want to sit down over beers and be insufferable about at length, this is in my top three of "no, loving listen right..." rants I would go on.

The film has immortal robots struggling to come to terms with what it means to actually be human, and in the process actually has Things To Say about humanity. I'm usually more into the hat MCU movies than the cosmic stoner films, and as much as I respect Kirby and love some of his work, zero interest in the source material. That I enjoyed this so much surprised me. One of those films where I came out knowing that I liked it, but that it had issues, and yet I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I'm genuinely delighted that it's getting a sequel and I hope Chloe Zhao doesn't get forced to compromise and that she gets to tell the story she wants to tell.

I totally get why a lot of people would bounce off Eternals though, because that's how I feel about that kind of comic book. But then, I know my opinion will be ignored because I'm also in the very lonely defense force for Cats 2019 which, no, gently caress you, will be looked back on as a cult classic one day.

(Other bad opinions available upon request.)

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I thought Eternals was good. Not great, but good enough. I watched it way later on Disney and perhaps lowered expectations helped. I even thought some of the criticism was in slightly bad faith. The amount of times I heard that the film "blamed Hiroshima on a gay black man", then when I finally watched the film I felt that was a pretty dumb way of framing that scene. Not to say that scene wasn't deeply inelegant, but the criticisms dealt with that inelegance in a dumb way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Karloff posted:

I thought Eternals was good. Not great, but good enough. I watched it way later on Disney and perhaps lowered expectations helped. I even thought some of the criticism was in slightly bad faith. The amount of times I heard that the film "blamed Hiroshima on a gay black man", then when I finally watched the film I felt that was a pretty dumb way of framing that scene. Not to say that scene wasn't deeply inelegant, but the criticisms dealt with that inelegance in a dumb way.
Yeah that criticism was pretty dumb

The movie was still just average at best to me though

If they were going to focus on that many characters they should have just made this a miniseries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eternals was fine imo