Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

VRChat upgrading to Unity2020's also gonna make a loooot of people pissy, because it's gonna break shaders on outdated content. As I understand it, anything uploaded/updated in about the past 6 months (I think longer, maybe a year-ish?) will be fine due to changes in the SDK in preparation, but anything abandoned is gonna have broken shaders. That's gonna be a lot of avatars just functionally gone.

Blame Unity for that, I guess, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Has anyone heard a date as to when Meta isnt gonna require a facebook account to use a quest? I still have my old Oculus account I've been using with my Quest 1, but I grabbed a Quest 2 before the price increase (was planning on getting one anyway, but threat of costing more made me jump faster than planned). Would like to play minigolf with the kids, but I'm the only person in the house with a facebook account. So we dont have a second account I could share the game with so we could use both headsets. And I don't want to bother making a new facebook account just for this.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sorry but I don't really care about people getting mad that their 5 year old avatar might have issues because technology is advancing.
I get that it is a hassle to get a new one but you really think they are going to stall development just to make sure your neon anime tits are in perfect working order?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's an interesting problem, because the whole point of VRChat is to let people make whatever content they want and a lot of it functionally doesn't need updating, but it's an online game in active development, sooooooo

I wonder how Second Life gets around it, they seem to be trucking along just fine.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I suspect Second Life just lives with tons of technical debt or whatever. Like, they're not on Unity, so they probably aren't beholden to the same sort of engine support issues?

Inzombiac posted:

Sorry but I don't really care about people getting mad that their 5 year old avatar might have issues because technology is advancing.
I get that it is a hassle to get a new one but you really think they are going to stall development just to make sure your neon anime tits are in perfect working order?
It kinda just comes down to if the tradeoffs are worth it. Like, the EAC update was frustrating for a lot of people because worse performance and mods getting disabled wasn't worth getting a bad anti-cheat.

If technology advancing doesn't really translate to anything interesting or beneficial to the user, I can't really blame them for being upset that their neon anime tits no longer work.

But yeah, with an evolving project stuff breaking is pretty unavoidable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's an interesting problem, because the whole point of VRChat is to let people make whatever content they want and a lot of it functionally doesn't need updating, but it's an online game in active development, sooooooo

It's a necessary evil for engine support and features sadly. What they should do when the Unity 2020 upgrade comes is kill off SDK2 support at the same time though. Most of the remaining SDK2 worlds and avatars will die forgotten with the shaders breaking anyway.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 3, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Just floored at the people making the free anime sex chat client their personal civil rights movement

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Syves posted:

Has anyone heard a date as to when Meta isnt gonna require a facebook account to use a quest? I still have my old Oculus account I've been using with my Quest 1, but I grabbed a Quest 2 before the price increase (was planning on getting one anyway, but threat of costing more made me jump faster than planned). Would like to play minigolf with the kids, but I'm the only person in the house with a facebook account. So we dont have a second account I could share the game with so we could use both headsets. And I don't want to bother making a new facebook account just for this.

No idea, but the v43 firmware is now on beta. Maybe when it's released in a week or two to the bigger public they will also activate the login switch trigger.

edit: soon I guess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/wf7xec/oculus_app_updated_metaoculus_accounts_arent_live/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 3, 2022

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As a person new to actually using VR, I came across puppet avatars in VRChat and it's a really fascinating idea. I feel like it's maybe the family-friendliest way of emphasizing just how boring Facebook's idea of a metaverse is by comparison.

SCheeseman posted:

VR nerds want more FOV and obviously it would make for a better experience, but I don't think it's necessarily what is needed to create the breakout product that every company is trying to make. Fidelity and FOV in Quest 2 (at least in the best case rendering scenario) are good *enough*, I feel at this point more than anything else they need the goggles to be far smaller and lighter.

If I had something exactly Quest 2 quality but with the approximate weight of a regular pair of heavy glasses or sports goggles, it would instantly become my replacement for all future monitor and TV purchases. Sure, it'll take a long time to get there, but there's somewhere along the spectrum from what we have now to that when it'll be convenient enough to be extremely appealing.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 3, 2022

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I have gone into VR Chat about 7 times and it always feels like barging into a stranger's house party and realizing that the friend who invited you didn't show up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've been playing VR Chat exclusively with friends in friends-only servers. It was incredibly jarring to step through a portal to end up in a public world, immediately greeted by children yelling.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dietrich posted:

I have gone into VR Chat about 7 times and it always feels like barging into a stranger's house party and realizing that the friend who invited you didn't show up.

lol my experience exactly

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I like Rec Room instead. It's still mostly little kids but it's fun to encourage them to succeed at their goals and play paintball.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dietrich posted:

Haha this is bang on

I really don't see the appeal

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

No idea, but the v43 firmware is now on beta. Maybe when it's released in a week or two to the bigger public they will also activate the login switch trigger.

edit: soon I guess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/wf7xec/oculus_app_updated_metaoculus_accounts_arent_live/

Haha, why didn't I think to look on reddit... good habits I guess. Thanks! Hopefully its close

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So my not wanting to miss out on a deal made me purchase a Quest from Target before the price raised after flip flopping on getting into VR for a while now. And now I see the Reverb 2 is on sale. Should I stay with the Oculus or go for the Reverb or wait out for next gen.I just got my hands on a 3080 12gb GPU if that tips things to one side or another.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 4, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Quixotic1 posted:

So my not wanting to miss out on a deal made me purchase a Quest 2frln Target before the price raised after flip flopping on getting into VR for a while now. And now I see the Reverb 2 is on sale. Should I stay with the Oculus or go for the Reverb or wait out for next gen.I just got my hands on a 3080 12gb GPU if that tips things to one side or another.

Personally I would stick with the Quest 2.

Also if you haven't activated it yet you can get a $30 credit in the Oculus store by using a referral link. Here's mine if you don't have one:
https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/Tip/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have an issue with the Q2 passthrough?
I have it enabled but double tapping the headset does nothing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It seems to be based on it detecting sudden acceleration in the IMU, so tap harder. Give it a decent thump and it should passthrough. If it still doesn't work, you might have problems with the IMU in the unit, and might be worth getting an RMA.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Inner Light posted:

I like Rec Room instead. It's still mostly little kids but it's fun to encourage them to succeed at their goals and play paintball.

Did rec room ever get rid of teleport being the main way you could play "competiive game modes"? Playing against people who could, at any time warp somewhere else was insanely unfun.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I tried the pass through thing for about a week.
It kept switching every time I wanted to adjust the visor.
And then didnt want to accept my double tap to get it back until i did it a few times.

I dont suppose there are any Oculus controllers that have the A/B buttons side by side?
I have larger hands (XXL cycling gloves) yet have to go out of my comfort grip zone to hit the Y/B buttons.
Can only hit them if I hold the controller on my pads and not in my palms.
Seems bizarre to put one button further away rather than side by side.

I cant seem to find there are any 3rd part controllers.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Walkabout Minigolf remains an insanely perfect way to spend some time with friends and relatives. It's just so well-executed, and everyone loves keeping an eye out for lost balls.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Inzombiac posted:

Yes it's stupidly inconsistent except when I'm plugging headphones in and in that case it activates 100% of the time.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Truga posted:

tbh, i think steam often sees me as non-vr user because i unplug it regularly to take it somewhere and then when i get the survey it says "vr: none" 50% of the time, and i'm probably not the only one

also, since it probably surveys randomly, and amount of vr people is miniscule, it doesn't seem that weird to me for the number to fluctuate in the first place

I have a Quest 2 that I use basically daily via link and the last time I did the Steam hardware survey it still didn't pick it up, presumably because it was turned off at the time. If it needs the headset to be on and connected before it will detect it then the quest numbers will bounce around a fair bit I'd imagine.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Inzombiac posted:

I've found it works more consistently for me if you double tap with the edge of the controller instead of my hand.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kwolok posted:

Did rec room ever get rid of teleport being the main way you could play "competiive game modes"? Playing against people who could, at any time warp somewhere else was insanely unfun.

Two things. The player has to point where they want to go, so most people tend to telegraph their moves, you can predict them if you watch their hands (sometimes easier said than done in a fire (paint) fight)

The teleport has a cooldown where the player is just stuck in place. After they teleport they can’t move, and you can, so hit them hard during the cooldown.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Inzombiac posted:

I think one of the biggest things will be what happens to that treehouse world. The creator of it died a couple of years ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kazy posted:

I think one of the biggest things will be what happens to that treehouse world. The creator of it died a couple of years ago.

Yeah, A Treehouse in the Shade is an iconic VRChat world, and 1001's passing was a tragedy. They made some beautiful shaders. :ohdear:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dietrich posted:

I mean, this is how I imagined it would go so I've never even tried a public instance. I go to my own invite only instances just to poke around in people's worlds and don't really engage with the VRChat public.

It's the same with the rare instances I go into Second Life these days. Poke around the world, look at stuff, do not engage with the locals. If a local even so much as spots me I nope the gently caress outta there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is why there's a lot of social groups set up outside of VRChat, and one of the reasons furries have been so successful in it - just having the most basic shared interest and maybe an avatar to represent it is generally enough to break the ice and feel like you'll be okay joining in with people who are otherwise total strangers, then everyone just bounces off whatever VR zaniness comes up and that's that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Two things. The player has to point where they want to go, so most people tend to telegraph their moves, you can predict them if you watch their hands (sometimes easier said than done in a fire (paint) fight)

The teleport has a cooldown where the player is just stuck in place. After they teleport they can’t move, and you can, so hit them hard during the cooldown.

Still not really interested. Games aren't even remotely competitive when someone can just pop out of existance when danger happens.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:ok:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Teleport to move is why I got tired of Robo Recall. Moving in that game is so awkward it takes away any of the fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair you can smooth loco in rec room if you want. OP is complaining about other users

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
honestly a goon vrchat and movie night wouldnt be the worst thing in the world

then again it just might be the worst thing in the world

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maybe a weird question, but I've noticed a weird reflection/shimmer/spot of blurry light directly in the center of my view when my quest 2 is displaying black. It's exactly in the center of the lenses so I'm guessing it's some refraction, stray light from outside or something, but does anybody else have that? Wondering if I scratched or otherwises hosed up something. I did manage to get a huge burn spot 1 day after getting it, since I didn't understand quite how sensitive they are to direct light :v: Luckily, the amazon return policy remains top notch.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Son of Rodney posted:

I did manage to get a huge burn spot 1 day after getting it, since I didn't understand quite how sensitive they are to direct light

I'm sorry, what?

I have not been following VR for years and I did not buy my Quest 2 from Amazon, so... is there a list somewhere of all the weird ways like this in which you can break these things, so I can avoid them?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It says 'keep out of sunlight' on the stickers you have to remove from the lenses before you can use the quest. It's pretty hard to miss.

They're basically magnifying lenses that will absolute gently caress up the screens if you let sunlight beam directly into them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

just don't put it down with the lenses pointing at a bright light or the sun. that's about it and it's also pretty clearly labeled on the lenses out of the box iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes the lenses act like a magnifying glass so any direct sunlight into them will focus and burn the screen. The little cardboard bit that's in there when you first get it straight up says on it DON'T LET SUNLIGHT GET RIGHT IN HERE IDIOT.