Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SubNat posted:

.... And then a few minutes later you grab a horse.
THE HORSE YOU HAVE CHOSEN IS NOT THE DIGITAL DELUXE MEGABONANZA HORSE, ARE YOU SURE YOU WISH TO CHOOSE IT??

When I played RD2 I only had enough money to buy the cheapest horse. I still fell in love with it though, which is the worst thing you can do in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

The thing dragging it down is that it's switch exclusive.

Handheld will be the best way to play something like that

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

I hit a mission in BT where it was a few medium mechs, and icons for vehicles. Turns out a bunch of those vehicles were SRM carriers, and had 6 SRM4s or something on them, and they could basically drive straight up, fire everything and have a good chance of crippling a mech. They also all got to go before I did.

Kinda stopped playing after that.

Yeah SRM carriers are one of the handful of "HAHA SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER" vehicles that will sucker punch you if you're not ready and keep to the assumption that you can run a light mech up and stomp on all vehicles all the time. They can really put the hurt on.

Encountering them did inspire me to fit out a mech version of an SRM carrier though. That bastard could jump jet in behind drat near anything and core it out in one volley. :allears:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

I've wondered a lot about Nintendo losing all sense of boundary between their IPs and just making everything a Smash-style clusterfuck. It'd probably be fun at first and then get loving exhausting. Like Marvel movies.

I dunno', I would be 100% on board with them making Mario Kart and Mario Party crossover games like Smash.
Wouldn't want everything to be like that, but games like that are great for it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Veotax posted:

I dunno', I would be 100% on board with them making Mario Kart and Mario Party crossover games like Smash.
Wouldn't want everything to be like that, but games like that are great for it.

I don't care so much about Party and Smash, but I'd love if they went all out for Mario Kart. They've moved a little bit in that direction like with Link and the squidkids, but something like Sonic All Stars does so much more with that idea in a racing context.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Alhazred posted:

When I played RD2 I only had enough money to buy the cheapest horse. I still fell in love with it though, which is the worst thing you can do in that game.

I didn’t even buy a horse, I kept the one I was told to trade in for the horse buying tutorial. RIP Hamstack you giant stupid beautiful bastard :cry:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Got myself one of those white arabians. Good fast horse, but scared of her own shadow and comically small for Arthur to ride. I eventually bought a Turkoman that felt more appropriate and brave but by that point I'd spent so much time with Neighsayer that it felt wrong to ride another horse.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

CitizenKain posted:

I hit a mission in BT where it was a few medium mechs, and icons for vehicles. Turns out a bunch of those vehicles were SRM carriers, and had 6 SRM4s or something on them, and they could basically drive straight up, fire everything and have a good chance of crippling a mech. They also all got to go before I did.

Kinda stopped playing after that.

Same, except it was LRM carriers, which could fire at me from across the map if even a single enemy mech had line of sight, and knocked one mech down every turn. Brutal.

Battletech is really difficult for me to get into because it's intentionally designed for some mission objectives to be near-unbeatable, and for some mission difficulty levels to be outright lies that are actually like 2 skulls harder than they claim to be. But my idiot lizard brain wants that goddamn serotonin and refuses to leave an objective unticked, resulting in not the best experience.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah I think that and the steamwood bits were low points for me, but I find them really fun on a replay since you already know what to expect/do and you can just plow right ahead. It’s still extremely funny that there’s this whole zombie menace going on and the bar owner is like “oh yeah there’s a huge temple/dungeon under my establishment, you should probably do something about it”

I think you’ll have to wait until you’ve cleared this dungeon, but if you didn’t know already there’s a guy at the bar you can play High/Low with. It’s an incredibly easy way to make tons of money with little investment. If you can get the full prize a couple times you’ll never have to worry about affording anything again and can stock up on as many healing items or whatever else you need

I'm actually miles past that point and have a TON of money just selling all the poo poo that I've had appraised, which was only made faster by the L-Glasses. I'm in the old mine now with only 2 Bincho fields left to find and 2 of the little health critters to toss around, and only one element and Legendary armour missing too, so I'm very close to the end of the game. The second steamwood bit did kind of suck though so I'm glad that that parts over.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah I think that and the steamwood bits were low points for me, but I find them really fun on a replay since you already know what to expect/do and you can just plow right ahead. It’s still extremely funny that there’s this whole zombie menace going on and the bar owner is like “oh yeah there’s a huge temple/dungeon under my establishment, you should probably do something about it”

I think you’ll have to wait until you’ve cleared this dungeon, but if you didn’t know already there’s a guy at the bar you can play High/Low with. It’s an incredibly easy way to make tons of money with little investment. If you can get the full prize a couple times you’ll never have to worry about affording anything again and can stock up on as many healing items or whatever else you need

Hell, as far as healing items, all I ever did was stock up on cheese and then sleep in the middle of the street for a few days, since the cheese gets more effective with age.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Souldiers has probably the worst-feeling walljump ability in any sidescroller I've played. the meh part is that it's inherently very weak because it doesn't refresh your double jump and it launches you too far away from the wall to for you to climb a single wall by itself, which means it doesn't feel like a very impactful upgrade. the bad part is that in addition to feeling very fiddly about when you're allowed to wall jump, walljumping actually removes your double jump if you haven't used it yet, so you can't do almost anything proactively out of a walljump, and it is actively bad to do a walljump before your double jump. Movement upgrades in a metroidvania should feel like they empower you with more control and this feels like it robs you of control.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

the_steve posted:

Hell, as far as healing items, all I ever did was stock up on cheese and then sleep in the middle of the street for a few days, since the cheese gets more effective with age.

Yup. Same. I usually just bought a bunch of milk at the start and would have lot of highly effective cheese by the time I actually needed it. The whole "food and other items change over time" aspect was a really neat little thing that belongs in the other thread

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been playing around with the Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit remaster for a few days and it's fun enough, but I feel like everything they do that moves away from basic hot pursuit mode is just less fun. Chasing down a pack of idiot racers using your gadgets? Real fun. Chasing down a single tougher and smarter racer who constantly just ignores your traps and poops out spike strips every time you get close? Much less fun. Get to the destination? That's just a regular race with tighter time limits and annoying damage penalties, it doesn't even have anything to do with the premise!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

Handheld will be the best way to play something like that

It took me two decades to get my monster rancher ports to PC, it's very hard to go back now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kit Walker posted:

Yup. Same. I usually just bought a bunch of milk at the start and would have lot of highly effective cheese by the time I actually needed it. The whole "food and other items change over time" aspect was a really neat little thing that belongs in the other thread

Lemme tell you about a little game called Baten Kaitos...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I've noticed in games with movement upgrades locking out new areas is that often by the end the devs seem to run out of ideas. At the start of Brave Fencer Musashi you get abilities like the double jump and climbing walls which have applications all over the game world and are always useful, but then by the end the penultimate one is "Walk up slippery slopes" which only exist in that dungeon, so has no application after that point. As the game goes on the powers get so niche that they become useless.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

by definition the last movement upgrade you get has to lock off the smallest portion of the game

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

by definition the last movement upgrade you get has to lock off the smallest portion of the game

You could also introduce cool shortcuts with it though potentially. If you designed it right.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

You could also introduce cool shortcuts with it though potentially. If you designed it right.

Yeah I remember Ori and the Blind Forest there was some part which was a big deal to get through, but at the end of the game it was just like "triple jump and dash"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah that's fair. even hollow knight sort of only gives you two shortcuts with the dark dash

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm pretty much at Musashi's point of no return so because work has been so crap this week I've been grinding stats just because it's kind of zen and I don't feel like putting the effort in for the finale yet as I'm so worn out. Got Mind and Body maxed, onto Lumina and Fusion next. Fusions around level 24 and Lumina is around 12. I've also got all the legendary armour and all the special attacks, and I've maxed my health and beaten the Mother critter in the forest. I'm assuming that the sky guardian will give me the final 25 Max BP.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Aug 3, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Metroid makes movement options still feel impactful by making them trivialize puzzles in areas you return to. Doesn't open up a lot of new content but there's nothing like space jump / spin jumping through lovely block puzzles.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Super Metroid did this very well with space jump/screw attack. Nice to have but not actually 100% necessary.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

yeah that's fair. even hollow knight sort of only gives you two shortcuts with the dark dash

Hollow knight was really frustrating with how half of the fancy abilities you got felt deeply impractical for combat due to the long charge ups and movement involved in them, but also due to map design they were only really functional outside of combat in the like two areas where they were basically needed as like keys to get to a new area.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nuebot posted:

Hollow knight was really frustrating with how half of the fancy abilities you got felt deeply impractical for combat due to the long charge ups and movement involved in them, but also due to map design they were only really functional outside of combat in the like two areas where they were basically needed as like keys to get to a new area.

Which ones? This doesn't really match my experience at all; every major ability unlock felt impactful for combat, exploration, or both. It seems like the main things you are talking about are the Crystal Heart super-dash that, yes, is near-useless in combat because of its long charge time, but unlocks tons of new areas and also makes traversing the world much easier and faster, and the Shade Cloak invincibility dash, which is incredibly useful in combat but its use as a "key" is sort of artificial.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Man is the Witcher 3’s combat boring. Dodge slash slash, dodge cast a sign, dodge slash slash. How people play the game on death march boggles my mind.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

There’s a lot of very exotic weapons and armor sets in the game, but a weirdly high percentage of them come from obtuse secrets, and even a lot of the more straightforward stuff isn’t something you’ll see in a single run through the campaign and you’ll need to do adventures to get the dungeons/bosses that drop it to show up. and if you miss something you’ll have no idea since there’s no ingame compendium or anything. I would have probably never seen a third of the content in the game without the steam guide that tells you what weapons and armor are available in each area.

I think I prefer all of the game’s other environments to the first one, so that part gets better.

I played through the whole campaign in Remnant and found like 3 or 4 new primary weapons the entire time, and only had enough spare darksouls titanite to to upgrade one to the same level as my starting coach gun which I had been using all game. Then it turned out that devastator crossbow was basically just a worse version of my coach gun with the same damage per shot but only 1 shot before reloading and a much longer reload time. And effective range that was barely any different since it shot a 5-shot horizontal spread of arrows!

Most of the weapons you get are drops from bosses, and each boss is like a 50/50 or something between 2 different drops, so it's very possible to just see no new guns and get a bunch of boss melee weapons instead.

The starting coach gun is really satisfying though. It has a much better effective range / tighter spread than most videogame shotguns, so you can run around headshotting baddies with it no problem. And the double-barrel shotgun reload is fun! Too bad the rest of the shotguns in Remnant didn't learn from that lesson... the others are just glorified melee weapons like typical videogame shotguns.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up Hyper Light Drifter since it's on sale and the chain dash move can eat and savour my entire rear end.

The timing is incredibly tight to pull it off, and worse than that it scales up in terms of timing, getting increasingly faster, so to activate it you need to press the dash button again at something like 0.7s, then 0.5s, and only then does it become a continuous rhythm.

This feels like absolute poo poo to do on a controller, and in my experience only works like 33% of the time.

I was having so much trouble with it that I ended up googling out of frustration and there's dozens of reddit posts of people complaining about this dogshit mechanic and getting nothing but walls of 'git gud' in return, so now I know how people who didn't click with Dark Souls feel I guess.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bit of a bummer when the mechanic which makes the title of your game is busted.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

I picked up Hyper Light Drifter since it's on sale and the chain dash move can eat and savour my entire rear end.

The timing is incredibly tight to pull it off, and worse than that it scales up in terms of timing, getting increasingly faster, so to activate it you need to press the dash button again at something like 0.7s, then 0.5s, and only then does it become a continuous rhythm.

This feels like absolute poo poo to do on a controller, and in my experience only works like 33% of the time.

I was having so much trouble with it that I ended up googling out of frustration and there's dozens of reddit posts of people complaining about this dogshit mechanic and getting nothing but walls of 'git gud' in return, so now I know how people who didn't click with Dark Souls feel I guess.

It is a pain for a while but it eventually clicked for me, someone who will basically never try any of the "git gud" games because I'm so terrible at anything skill-related. I think it's a fun enough game to keep trying.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thing dragging Skyrim down currently: my ten year old has been playing it this week and absolutely will not shut the gently caress up about it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

For a trpg King Arthur: Knight's Tale (good-rear end name, right?) is starting extremely slowly. I've played for 123 minutes (woops) and so far my party consists of 4 dudes in armor, an archer, and a mage. The 4 dudes in armor can walk up and hit dudes, or, using their special skills, walk up and hit dudes slightly harder. The mage and archer can hit dudes without walking up first, one can slow them and the other can set them on fire (I forget which does which).

So far it's the opposite end of the spectrum of something like Into the Breach where the differences between each unit and their abilities feel extremely consequential, and you're busting out cool, playmaking moves from round 1. And it's not like the setting is some ultra-low fantasy world that would justify this, the opening cutscene shows the main character melting 5 dudes at once with sith finger lightning. Let me do that. I built the magic tower building at my base because the description made it sound like I could get cool abilities there, but it seems like it's just a place you can buy really good swords for 1000 of a currency I currently have zero of. You can get new skills when you level up, so you can probably do cool stuff eventually, but the process feels pretty drat slow. After two hours my main character is level 4, and has gained a basic charge attack and slightly enhanced his other attacks.

Maybe it has all the stuff I'm hoping for eventually, but it's pretty dull right now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Thing dragging Skyrim down currently: my ten year old has been playing it this week and absolutely will not shut the gently caress up about it.

Secretly start installing a new mod every day or two, gradually increasing in weirdness until the game has become insane

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
“Daddy what’s that under the horse’s tail? Daddy, what’s that dragon doing to that lady?” might get tiresome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now kiddo, settle in because this will take some explaining but an Oblivion Gate is

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Bullshit, we all know "clean faces" is the first Bethesda mod any young gamer should install. :colbert:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Live A Live’s eighth scenario is medieval times, which is cool as a bit of whiplash after seven scenarios of different eras and storytelling types varying wildly from Street Fighter X Megaman to Ninja Metal Gear, but idk why they decided they needed random encounters to sell the “conventional JRPG” feel after an entire game without them. There’s a 100% flee rate afaik so it’s just a minor annoyance to load up an random encounter and then run from it because it gives fuckall experience but this is the “PYF Little Things” thread. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Live A Live’s eighth scenario is medieval times, which is cool as a bit of whiplash after seven scenarios of different eras and storytelling types varying wildly from Street Fighter X Megaman to Ninja Metal Gear, but idk why they decided they needed random encounters to sell the “conventional JRPG” feel after an entire game without them. There’s a 100% flee rate afaik so it’s just a minor annoyance to load up an random encounter and then run from it because it gives fuckall experience but this is the “PYF Little Things” thread. :v:

To be fair the finale does something kind of cool with it, so I don't mind the random encounters showing up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, well if it actually gets subverted in some way I’m all too happy to eat my words, that’s great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

I think you're bang on with the mechanical problem with it, and I never really "got" the timing either, but you can beat the game without every really mastering it. The special cape you get for like 500 perfect dashes in a sequence or whatever was just, my man, what do you think people playing your game do?