Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only thing wrong with the Series X is there isn’t a diskless version. I want a series S with the horsepower of the X and no drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Not including a disc drive, I assume, also saves on licensing costs related to Blu-ray codecs and poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Not including a disc drive, I assume, also saves on licensing costs related to Blu-ray codecs and poo poo.

I suspect they might be doing a "only activates the license if you play a BR once" kinda deal

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I've rented like 90% of the games I have ever played so I need a drive.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

American McGay posted:

I watched the 12oz Mouse DVD in mine.

I tried to watch my War Games DVD on my Series X a few months ago and the picture was, for lack of a better word, vibrating between two slightly different sizes several times a second. I had to pull out the old Xbox 360 and use that instead to make it viewable.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

I've rented like 90% of the games I have ever played so I need a drive.

Why not rent them digitally, with a. Sort of. Game pass

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Why not rent them digitally, with a. Sort of. Game pass

Xenoblade 3 isn't on Gamepass! Or The Quarry!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I suspect they might be doing a "only activates the license if you play a BR once" kinda deal

This is absolutely the case, since the Blu-ray player app is not installed by default but prompts installation only when you insert a Blu-ray or DVD (of course you can also grab the player manually from the store). And that's fine because the license is hella expensive.

(edit: "Hella expensive" might be stretching it, probably less than 10 bucks per console. But a meaningful sum anyway since assumedly the consoles are sold at a loss regardless.)

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 4, 2022

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

FM7 hit the 4 year mark and got delisted because licenses expired. As a long-time Forza Motorsport loser I do find this somewhat disgraceful.

Still pissed I cant buy the DLC for Horizon 3. I bought the Ultimate Edition thinking the Hot Wheels DLC was included, only to find out it wasn't after starting the game a few months after delisting.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yes, though the DVD and Blu-ray decode licenses are pretty cheap. The bigger difference is not having to send money to Sony for every Xbox made (though I think the drives are only like $30 last I heard).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zat posted:

This is absolutely the case, since the Blu-ray player app is not installed by default but prompts installation only when you insert a Blu-ray or DVD (of course you can also grab the player manually from the store). And that's fine because the license is hella expensive.

Oh that’s right! I thought it was Insane it isn’t preinstalled but makes perfect sense when you know they’re getting charged for offering it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Where can you rent games in 2022 other than GameFly?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Where can you rent games in 2022 other than GameFly?

Libraries

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can borrow them from local library , or rent them from a stingy friend

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

pthighs posted:

I tried to watch my War Games DVD on my Series X a few months ago and the picture was, for lack of a better word, vibrating between two slightly different sizes several times a second. I had to pull out the old Xbox 360 and use that instead to make it viewable.

I've had something like this with Amazon Prime where the aspect ratio bounces back and forth, but normalizes after a while. Anyone else? It may only affect rented/owned videos

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Scuba Trooper posted:

I've had something like this with Amazon Prime where the aspect ratio bounces back and forth, but normalizes after a while. Anyone else? It may only affect rented/owned videos

Yeah I weirdly had this watching King of New York on Prime but only on my Series X, it worked fine on my other tv just using the prime app. Very strange!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Same as the original Xbox. You couldn’t run DVDs on the thing unless you bought the dvd remote. The receiver you plug in counts as a “consumer paid for the license” thing.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

It's actually attached to downloading the app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m gonna download the app 80000000 times to bankrupt Microsoft 😈

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Beastie posted:

Libraries

Not mine :negative:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You have to ask them to check in the back for the games

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

I’m gonna download the app 80000000 times to bankrupt Microsoft 😈

It only triggers once per device. Sorry for the convenience.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Plan: bankrupt Microsoft by buying 80000000 Xboxes

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah I weirdly had this watching King of New York on Prime but only on my Series X, it worked fine on my other tv just using the prime app. Very strange!

Yeah I've only had it happen on the series x! never happened on the old xbone

weird.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why can I not purchase Jet Set Radio?

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/jet-set-radio/bvql7v5txbhb

The page says it’s X and S compatible, but also says “not available separately”. Is there a package deal I have to purchase?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think you can actually purchase it currently. I tried going to the 360 marketplace website for it and it just hangs when trying to complete the purchase.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh god, this Shenzen I/O game from Zachtronics.. it's too real lol

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

acksplode posted:

The Plan: bankrupt Microsoft by buying 80000000 Xboxes

That is a far more likely outcome. Of course their stock price would go up because they moved more Xbox than ever before so who knows.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why can I not purchase Jet Set Radio?

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/jet-set-radio/bvql7v5txbhb

The page says it’s X and S compatible, but also says “not available separately”. Is there a package deal I have to purchase?

I was able to buy it through the 360 Marketplace link. I also had the same issue as the poster below you, it would hang on certain browsers but it eventually went though on Chrome? Firefox? I don't remember exactly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So if I buy it through the marketplace link, will I be able to find it and install it in the Series S's Microsoft Store, or how does that work?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So if I buy it through the marketplace link, will I be able to find it and install it in the Series S's Microsoft Store, or how does that work?

It'll show up in your licenses and install from there if for whatever reason it doesn'tinstantly pop up in your list of all games owned but not installed in your games and apps.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Where I'm from, which is Europe, renting physical games is illegal. The only way to get used games is on flea markets, which only have old FIFA's.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Discs are actually still good poo poo until you have to go swap one out which will always make you question your decisions. but, resell em, trade em, lend them to a buddy, proudly display your super cool and unique gaming hobby on the shelf, reinstall without downloading the whole drat thing if you have some stupid isp with a data cap, throw it across the room like a frisbee if the game pisses you off...Plus disc games naturally decline in price, so you don't have to wait around for the publisher to do a sale. I can't count how many times I've had a bug in my bonnet to play some game and it's $60 digital, so I just buy it for 5 dollars on disc. If you buy some new release game and it sucks you can also sell it for just under MSRP easily on Craigslist or whatever after you slog through it if you are fast enough

Also sometimes I'll just purge old disc games and walk out of gamestop with a couple of hundred guilt free dollars to blow on steam.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Has anyone played that Wingman game on Game Pass?

It looks like everyone quits it fast? I just beat the 4th mission out of 21 and got a rare achievement for it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So from what I gather you need a Windows PC to do the RetroArch thing on your Series Xbox? As a Mac guy am I stuck playing emulators on my 3DS (or Mac)?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fly Ricky posted:

So from what I gather you need a Windows PC to do the RetroArch thing on your Series Xbox? As a Mac guy am I stuck playing emulators on my 3DS (or Mac)?

Hah? You don’t need a PC at all, you can just install them from the Edge browser on the Xbox.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Fly Ricky posted:

You just need an FTP client or, alternatively, a USB stick, so I think it can work with Mac?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can FTP from Mac to Xbox with something like FileZilla

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

It'll show up in your licenses and install from there if for whatever reason it doesn'tinstantly pop up in your list of all games owned but not installed in your games and apps.

I noticed an odd thing on the store recently regarding 360 comtent. I saw the Minerva’s Den expansion for Bioshock 2 but it didn’t say “Owned”, which puzzled me as I remember buying and playing it way back in the day.

Once I opened the store page it changed to “Install - You own this” and when I backed out to the store overview it now said I owned it. Never seen this happen before but supposedly the older 360 backend can be a little buggy on the modern consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really like playing with keyboard and mouse on the Series S, and I'm glad I have the option do it. However, it requires that you also have a normal xbox controller connected in order for it to work.

The problem with that is that if you arent using the controller, it falls asleep. I was playing some Fortnite last night and it just pops up a giant full screen menu that says "You need to have a controller connected to play this game" and if I turn the controller back on, it works fine for another 15 minutes or whatever it is.

Uh, is this just a thing? Does everyone who plays with KBM bump the joysticks every couple minutes? That seems terrible. Is there a workaround for this?