Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only reason the owners are letting goodelle do this is the browns structured the salary to give themselves an advantage in signing the rape qb that the other owners didn’t consider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The idea that you should have to inform someone that the consequences of sexually assaulting two dozen+ women is going to be severe is terminal legal brain

She's citing precedent for an incident that has none at least as far as we're aware

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Rothlisberger got 6 games for 1 victim therefore precedent was set.

6 games per victim that's 144 games.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Rothlisberger got 6 games for 1 victim therefore precedent was set.

6 games per victim that's 144 games.

About 8 1/2 seasons does sound reasonable.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I heard on NFL radio they are talking about fining him too. What would that look like?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Goodell's going to be seen as the good guy for once when the year suspension is confirmed

The PA hosed up agreeing with Deshaun and arguing for no games (and hosed up again agreeing to a CBA that lets the league have full say in appeals), the judge hosed up being barely more aggressive than that to the point where this looks like a good-guy move from Goodell at all, and everyone hosed up letting even the suspension of a year for what he did look like a victory now, when if it'd been that from the start, we'd have (correctly) said it was too light

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

pasaluki posted:

I heard on NFL radio they are talking about fining him too. What would that look like?

The league's final settlement offer they caved down to no less than, before the judge reached her conclusion, was 12 games and an $8mil fine https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34325319/ruling-cleveland-browns-qb-deshaun-watson-disciplinary-case-expected-monday-sources-say

quote:

The league and Watson's side did engage in further settlement talks in recent days, sources told ESPN's Dan Graziano, but neither side ever felt they were close to an agreement. The most Watson's side indicated it was willing to offer was a suspension in the range of six to eight games, according to sources. The best the league indicated it was willing to offer was a 12-game suspension and a significant fine -- in the range of $8 million, sources said

This is obviously going to be more now

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah Rog is gonna go higher if for no other reason than to make people realize they should settle before it reaches a judge.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Is there no upper limit on what the league can fine?

That sure makes those $10K fines for brutal headshots seem a lot worse

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What’s the point of any of this arbitration process if Goodell can just run roughshod over it?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

General Dog posted:

What’s the point of any of this arbitration process if Goodell can just run roughshod over it?

Guessing that most offenses are not gonna be sexually harassing sexually assaulting 35 people.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

Point of the arbitration process is to have someone independent determine whether or not a violation of the personal conduct policy actually occurred. Pre-2020 CBA the league was in charge of that as well as punishment

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Is there no upper limit on what the league can fine?

That sure makes those $10K fines for brutal headshots seem a lot worse

On-field related fines are in the CBA on a schedule, I think. The NFL doesn't have a ton of leeway there. Not sure what the rules are with off-field stuff

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

the judge hosed up being barely more aggressive than that to the point where this looks like a good-guy move from Goodell

The judge is paid by the NFL so I'm not sure this is her loving up.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

As others already posted, the idea that "Well you didn't handle Ray Rice properly and you should have told players sexual assault is bad so I'm not punishing this 'first time offender' that harshly," is some dumb loving judging.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1555281970837524483

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Sounds like a reasonable choice, but I suspect everything is a fait accompli and this is just more window dressing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He was one of the advisors in the Zeke investigation/decision http://www.espn.com/pdf/2017/0811/Ezekiel-Elliott-Discipline%20Letter_8-11-17.pdf

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yep Watson is getting that year ban.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Gonna lol if Goodell's decision not to just do it himself results in less than a year

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

He deserves the year, well more frankly, but I bet the Browns would find something like 15 games more annoying.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
From the league's perspective I imagine they like the idea of an indefinite suspension for leverage.

If they give him a set suspension he has to actually do something lovely for them to get back involved. If it's indefinite they can just choose not to end it if he continues to act like he never did anything wrong.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This has kind of turned into a case where the obvious shortcomings of the new disciplinary system is the bigger story than Watson himself.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Iunno, the NFL's discipline policy didn't assault 30+ ladies.

I mean... Snider's not on the discipline committee, probably.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

If it's indefinite they can just choose not to end it if he continues to act like he never did anything wrong.

Yeah, he absolutely refuses to acknowledge he did anything wrong. If he was indefinitely suspended, I doubt they'd reinstate him if he stuck to that line.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
https://twitter.com/DianaMoskovitz/status/1555257705924702208?s=20&t=deqCzOR6CNfajurhsXFBqg

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Buzbee basically Houston Saul Goodman? Hell of a face turn.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

:lmao: get hosed Schefter.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's been extremely fun seeing Schefter getting subjected to the Twitter firing squad over and over again this offseason.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Freaquency posted:

lol imagine coming in for an interview to try to steer that clusterfuck

The Browns need someone who can win in Ohio, with something to prove on the NFL level.

The Browns need Urban Meyer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eifert Posting posted:

Wasn't Buzbee basically Houston Saul Goodman? Hell of a face turn.

When you see a slam dunk you take that loving ball and go for it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1555344361646219264?s=20

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

It's been extremely fun seeing Schefter getting subjected to the Twitter firing squad over and over again this offseason.

I hope he starts losing access. Agents might start viewing him less as a useful mouthpiece if he's a negative association.

I doubt that happens. Agents aren't virtuous truth seekers, and Schefter is very dedicated to maintaining that access.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Forrest on Fire posted:

I hope he starts losing access. Agents might start viewing him less as a useful mouthpiece if he's a negative association.

I doubt that happens. Agents aren't virtuous truth seekers, and Schefter is very dedicated to maintaining that access.

Players should just feed him fake info so he embarrasses himself.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Players should just feed him fake info so he embarrasses himself.

Why would players do that to someone who's willing to try to minimize their bad behavior?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Does anyone here have a link to the video of Easterby asking if Jesus crip-walked on water - I had it bookmarked in my tweets but the guy who tweeted it out deleted his account

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

problematic

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sab0921 posted:

Does anyone here have a link to the video of Easterby asking if Jesus crip-walked on water - I had it bookmarked in my tweets but the guy who tweeted it out deleted his account

lol

https://twitter.com/nzakos/status/1357370240091496451?s=20&t=maVok7FOqxUnzb-uFjNuHQ

also found this one where he makes a bible joke that even christians don't laugh at

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1347271856026497024?s=20&t=maVok7FOqxUnzb-uFjNuHQ

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

oh my god. i haven't watched these in a while and i forgot how absolutely cringe inducing they are. also of course this dweeb has john 3:16 on a screen while he's talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yo, I'm going to go PAWK the CAH. Everyone in Boston uses this phrase and it's huge.