Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eh, I don't. I always saw that kind of behavior as putting up a facade of being a good citizen while not hesitating to sell vulnerable people out the moment it inconvenienced them to care. I don't think they deserved to get sick but I didn't have a ton of sympathy.

Again, different context in 2020 vs. now.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

True but I think the "only moral infection is my infection" people are a minority.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Thankfully it was mostly an online thing, but there definitely used to be an underlying sentiment that people who caught COVID weren't taking enough precautions, the implication being they "deserved" to get sick. Obviously this would be terrible if it happened with monkeypox, not only for people who contracted the virus but those with other irrelevant conditions that look like lesions who are out in public.

It is actually an effective technique to hold people strictly accountable for becoming sick from communicable disease. I can't remember the details but there was a yank or brit general that put in the brig anyone that caught malaria during some deployment. It does not sound fair but it was effective in reducing the absenteeism due to malaria (people actually started using the provided DEET coated nets, long sleeves, etc). In one of our areas, each incident of malaria diagnosed in a worker requires an incident report by their supervisors complete with investigation, corrective actions and negative bonus impact due to poor safety statistics.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
When my step-brother was in the Navy on a carrier he needed a root canal and kept skipping his appointments with the on-ship dentist. One morning the MPs showed up and basically told him they’d be accompanying him to the dentist or the brig, his choice.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

In 2020, shaming people for not wearing a mask and/or not social distancing almost certainly saved tons of lives and stopped Winter 2020/21 from reaching the heights of this past winter. There was nothing wrong with the shaming that happened.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yesterday I saw the head of operations at my job wearing a mask and for a moment I thought "finally someone else is taking this seriously again" and then I found out that he was wearing it because he'd tested positive that morning.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone ever follow the crazy Kickstarter mask ideas back in the early days of the pandemic? I wonder how they all panned out. Probably worth a laugh now.
I'm specifically thinking of that featureless egg-shaped one that takes up the whole front half of your head.

EDIT: Ah, found it. Called Blanc:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/philippegorov/blanc-mask-face-the-outdoors-with-your-modern-day-armor/description

Looks like it never delivered.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 3, 2022

HazCat
May 4, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone ever follow the crazy Kickstarter mask ideas back in the early days of the pandemic? I wonder how they all panned out. Probably worth a laugh now.
I'm specifically thinking of that featureless egg-shaped one that takes up the whole front half of your head.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/philippegorov/blanc-mask-face-the-outdoors-with-your-modern-day-armor/description

I'm fairly sure a goon paid for one of those, and what they got was basically an unpolished and unsealed polystyrene shell with elastic bands to strap it to your head like a cheap halloween mask.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Yesterday I saw the head of operations at my job wearing a mask and for a moment I thought "finally someone else is taking this seriously again" and then I found out that he was wearing it because he'd tested positive that morning.

It’s almost as if the pendulum has swung in the exact opposite direction causing needless death and suffering because our public health agencies have not only cleaned their hands of the matter but purposefully reinforced a sense of futility in the public’s consciousness, giving room for those that don’t and never did give a gently caress to rationalize their worst behaviors.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

HazCat posted:

I'm fairly sure a goon paid for one of those, and what they got was basically an unpolished and unsealed polystyrene shell with elastic bands to strap it to your head like a cheap halloween mask.

Yes! It was Smythe, and lol:

"Smythe" posted:

here is my cyberpunk mask. its made of styrofoam. i think i paid $80? i backed the kickstarter on 11/24/2020
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/philippegorov/blanc-mask-face-the-outdoors-with-your-modern-day-armor

arrived in unmarked box

some assembly required. no instructions at all

the back. the liner thing barely stays on and falls off if u remove the mask. it also doesnt seal at all.

front

wow

the panels dont really fit together. its bad lol. but pretty funny. will keep it around for whatever.

Amazing!

Edit: post link removed

Blitter fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 3, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JazzFlight posted:

There was another one (maybe the same one actually) where one of their proofs of concept looked straight up like one of the helmets in mass effect and I was thinking "drat that's a nice shortcut for some mass effect cosplay."

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gio posted:

In 2020, shaming people for not wearing a mask and/or not social distancing almost certainly saved tons of lives and stopped Winter 2020/21 from reaching the heights of this past winter. There was nothing wrong with the shaming that happened.

I'm pretty sure you're in the US, where more people died of covid in winter 2020-21 than 2021-22. You're probably comparing winter 2020-21 to fall 2021 + last winter, which is understandable as cases never got that low between those two waves. But if you include fall 2020, that year is still worse.

It's not very sensitive to the exact time limits you use, since the US reached half of current covid deaths in March 2021.

I don't think it's very surprising that more people were dying of covid before vaccines were widely available.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Gio posted:

Agreed, but I think the difference there is "shaming people for not taking proper precautions" vs "shaming people for catching Covid regardless of whether they took precautions or not."

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

James Garfield posted:

I'm pretty sure you're in the US, where more people died of covid in winter 2020-21 than 2021-22. You're probably comparing winter 2020-21 to fall 2021 + last winter, which is understandable as cases never got that low between those two waves. But if you include fall 2020, that year is still worse.

It's not very sensitive to the exact time limits you use, since the US reached half of current covid deaths in March 2021.

I don't think it's very surprising that more people were dying of covid before vaccines were widely available.
I’m comparing the 7-day average peaks in cases and deaths of both winters. Cases peaked at around 800k this past winter and deaths at around 2.5k. Last winter cases peaked at around 250k yet saw a death peak of 3.4k.

So…if social distancing, mask wearing, and NPIs were as non-existent in 2020-21 as they were this past fall and winter, I can’t imagine a scenario where the death toll isn’t significantly higher. It’s not crazy to think deaths could have peaked somewhere near or past 10k.

The death toll this past winter, extremely high as it was (~30-40% vaccinated ftr), was blunted by the fact that reinfections made up a significant percent of overall infections; vaccines, particularly among those most vulnerable; and much of the low-hanging fruit had already died.

e: I’m not saying “one year had/would have had more deaths than another,” I’m comparing the two then drawing the conclusion above re: socia l distancing, mask wearing, NPIs etc.

Gio fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 3, 2022

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gio posted:

I’m comparing the 7-day average peaks in cases and deaths of both winters. Cases peaked at around 800k this past winter and deaths at around 2.5k. Last winter cases peaked at around 250k yet saw a death peak of 3.4k.

To be clearer, I was responding to this part of your earlier post:

Gio posted:

stopped Winter 2020/21 from reaching the heights of this past winter

That didn't happen, as winter 2020/21 was worse than last winter.

Gio posted:

So…if social distancing, mask wearing, and NPIs were as non-existent in 2020-21 as they were this past fall and winter, I can’t imagine a scenario where the death toll isn’t significantly higher. It’s not crazy to think deaths could have peaked somewhere near or past 10k.

Setting aside how winter 2020-21 might have been different if nobody wore masks, it sounds like you're attributing all of the difference in mask wearing to people being shamed. I am doubtful that shaming works at all as a public health tactic. If nothing else, I think there is a lot of evidence that shaming did not work with the HIV/AIDS pandemic (not just that the 1980s response was discriminatory, which it was, but also that it actually did not work to reduce transmission of the virus).

Gio posted:

(~30-40% vaccinated ftr)

not this again

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm also skeptical of shaming being a major contributor, particularly in America where the entire concept of masks seems to be politicised. How would you even prove something like that?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

James Garfield posted:

To be clearer, I was responding to this part of your earlier post:

That didn't happen, as winter 2020/21 was worse than last winter.

Setting aside how winter 2020-21 might have been different if nobody wore masks, it sounds like you're attributing all of the difference in mask wearing to people being shamed. I am doubtful that shaming works at all as a public health tactic. If nothing else, I think there is a lot of evidence that shaming did not work with the HIV/AIDS pandemic (not just that the 1980s response was discriminatory, which it was, but also that it actually did not work to reduce transmission of the virus).

not this again

Winter 2020-21 did not reach the height in cases that Winter 2021-22 did. That’s a fact. I’m saying social distancing and NPIs are a large if not The Factor that explain this disparity. That’s what I’m talking about.

I’m comparing the different attitudes toward masks and social distancing between the two Winters and concluding that deaths would have been much higher in 2020-21 if we had abandoned NPIs and social distancing norms as we did in 2021-22. I’m not directly comparing the total number of deaths between both winters and saying one is higher. You’re misinterpreting what I’m arguing entirely.

Aside from that entirely—over 200k people died in the US during the Omicron wave. I’m just reminding people of the high number of deaths that have been brushed aside by people advocating for fewer NPIs, that Covid is now “mild”, no need to worry if you’re vaccinated etc. etc. etc.

Gio fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 3, 2022

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I'm also skeptical of shaming being a major contributor, particularly in America where the entire concept of masks seems to be politicised. How would you even prove something like that?
For the record I’m talking about peer pressure more than I am overt-shaming.

If you’re asking for a peer-reviewed journal article, I don’t have one and have no clue if one exists. It aligns with my lived experience that peer pressure made a lot of people wear masks; limit the size of or avoid social gatherings; refrain from eating indoors at restaurants etc. Americans were overall pretty bad but I’d argue what peer pressure existed made a not-insignificant impact on overall spread. NPIs, especially closures and limits on gathering size, possibly played an even greater factor, but I don’t think peer pressure that established social distancing norms was insignificant.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Gio posted:

Oh right, I can agree with this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mask mandates probably aren't that effective for omnicron anyway, not as long as literally any piece of fabric you slip over your face counts. You get some source control, but it's not going to be terribly effective for something airborne.

A mask mandate requiring n95 equivalents would be very effective, but it hasn't happened anywhere and isn't going to happen.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Gio posted:

I’m comparing the different attitudes toward masks and social distancing between the two Winters and concluding that deaths would have been much higher in 2020-21 if we had abandoned NPIs and social distancing norms as we did in 2021-22. I’m not directly comparing the total number of deaths between both winters and saying one is higher. You’re misinterpreting what I’m arguing entirely.

I don't think anyone would object to "I think more people would have died if nobody wore masks". The original post I responded to said "shaming people [...] almost certainly saved tons of lives and stopped Winter 2020/21 from reaching the heights of this past winter" which is a different claim that is wrong on all counts.

Gio posted:

So don't call it shaming. Those are different words that mean different things.

second edit: another issue is that there's a lot of peer pressure not to get vaccinated in right wing circles, so it's less obvious that peer pressure overall is good

edit:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mask mandates probably aren't that effective for omnicron anyway, not as long as literally any piece of fabric you slip over your face counts. You get some source control, but it's not going to be terribly effective for something airborne.

A mask mandate requiring n95 equivalents would be very effective, but it hasn't happened anywhere and isn't going to happen.

I think a broader issue with mask mandates is that there's enough contact in places that aren't covered by the mask mandate (bars, restaurants, homes, people just ignoring it) that the masks are much less effective on a population level than for an individual exposure. Like the assumption is that (during the mask mandate) covid is mostly spreading from one person in a mask to another person also in a mask.
It might be different if all those things were also banned, but that's doing a lot more than just the mask mandate.

Apparently Austria required FFP2 masks earlier this year, I don't know any details though I just googled it.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 4, 2022

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

James Garfield posted:

So don't call it shaming. Those are different words that mean different things.

I mean, peer pressure works by using shame as a deterrent. But sure, next time I’ll more precise.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Legit surgical masks or better would be good enough for source control. Covid hasn’t evolved around PPE.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Blitter posted:

Yes! It was Smythe, and lol:

Amazing!

Edit: post link removed

One of the "reviews" for this thing is the flowing

quote:

great for first dates

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gio posted:

Legit surgical masks or better would be good enough for source control. Covid hasn’t evolved around PPE.

The surgical/procedure masks are weird. There are various levels of protection that all look pretty much the same to the untrained eye. I don't see how randos could tell other people weren't wearing the right kind. Even buying the right kind could be confusing.

Unrated masks could be great or almost useless. They aren't rated.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I mean, that’s why you distribute good PPE for free and educate the public on how to properly wear PPE. This, of course, means “doing things,” things that are now exponentially harder since we’ve spent the last year and a half telling everyone getting two shots meant they could pretend the pandemic was over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

The surgical/procedure masks are weird. There are various levels of protection that all look pretty much the same to the untrained eye. I don't see how randos could tell other people weren't wearing the right kind. Even buying the right kind could be confusing.

Unrated masks could be great or almost useless. They aren't rated.

They are all deficient at preventing the spread of airborne diseases. The difference between 98% and 95% BFE/PFE is inconsequential when large quantities of air are allowed to bypass the filter entirely.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Platystemon posted:

They are all deficient at preventing the spread of airborne diseases. The difference between 98% and 95% BFE/PFE is inconsequential when large quantities of air are allowed to bypass the filter entirely.

I don't disagree, so don't take me the wrong way.

But - and I say this having never worn a bog-standard blue surgical - don't those mostly work by having an absorbent pad that hoovers up most of the droplets/aerosols before the air itself is pushed around the gaping gaps on the side of the mask? So I feel they're at least better than a porous cloth mask one can easily blow a candle out through - unless I'm missing something, of course!

Granted, I'd have much preferred to live in a world where the progression was: Literally Put Anything Over Your Mouth Please, For The Love of God -> No Gaiters/Bandannas -> Surgical Blue or Better -> Here are a Shitload of Resources on How to Know if Your Mask Fits Well -> N95 or Better

Along with "Here is a comical amount of money for the following:
• Indoor Ventilation Improvement
• Outdoor Space Improvement
• Outdoor Space Creation
• UV Implementation"

We'd be in a much different place today if that had been the approach. But it wasn't, so we're here instead. Unfortunate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zarin posted:

don't those mostly work by having an absorbent pad that hoovers up most of the droplets/aerosols before the air itself is pushed around the gaping gaps on the side of the mask?

When droplets are sufficiently small, they very effectively follow the airstream. They don’t have enough mass to go their own way. The innumerable collisions that they undergo every millisecond force them into the same path as the gas.* Unfortunately, the human respiratory system readily produces droplets this small.

Consider how gases move. It’s not like a spoon under a faucet, where the stream slams into the surface and is then redirected to the sides. Volumes of gases are acted upon by adjacent volumes of gases. The resistance of the filter creates a pressure gradient that forces gases out the side without having ever come into contact with the filter.

*There are slight differences, and exploiting these differences is how we get modern particulate filters. If you pass a volume of air through a dense thicket of tiny fibers, the particles have a high chance of being hung up on a fiber at some point, while the gases bounce right off and make it through. If a volume of air doesn’t pass through such a fiber network, the particles embedded in it will remain.

Zarin posted:

So I feel they're at least better than a porous cloth mask one can easily blow a candle out through

It is not impossible to blow out a candle through an N95.

It was perhaps a useful demonstration to rule out some of the worst offenders when it was impossible to buy N95 respirators off the shelf, but real PPE can fail it and worthless junk can pass it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Platystemon posted:

When droplets are sufficiently small, they very effectively follow the airstream. They don’t have enough mass to go their own way. The innumerable collisions that they undergo every millisecond force them into the same path as the gas.* Unfortunately, the human respiratory system readily produces droplets this small.

Consider how gases move. It’s not like a spoon under a faucet, where the stream slams into the surface and is then redirected to the sides. Volumes of gases are acted upon by adjacent volumes of gases. The resistance of the filter creates a pressure gradient that forces gases out the side without having ever come into contact with the filter.

*There are slight differences, and exploiting these differences is how we get modern particulate filters. If you pass a volume of air through a dense thicket of tiny fibers, the particles have a high chance of being hung up on a fiber at some point, while the gases bounce right off and make it through. If a volume of air doesn’t pass through such a fiber network, the particles embedded in it will remain.

It is not impossible to blow out a candle through an N95.

It was perhaps a useful demonstration to rule out some of the worst offenders when it was impossible to buy N95 respirators off the shelf, but real PPE can fail it and worthless junk can pass it.

Appreciate the effortpost! As always, top-tier posting.

I guess maybe I just wanted to believe that in a world of Me Wearing a Vflex, others doing less (but still doing something) were still doing more. I dunno.

Really makes me think that the future is a government mandate for everyone to wear a PAPR but I'll probably never see that eventuality so I should probably learn to accept what I can get. *sigh*

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1555320691569868800

so when does the monkeypox thread go up

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As for Covid being mild i was shocked at how reduced one of ny coworkers were after coming back from vacation. Poor man looks half dead, seems tired all the time, his weigth is reduced and he was slim to begin with and his breathing is really heavy now like he is sucking down air trough a rusty thin pipe. But he says he had it mild and is all better now. Not sure i beleive that.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Baudolino posted:

As for Covid being mild i was shocked at how reduced one of ny coworkers were after coming back from vacation. Poor man looks half dead, seems tired all the time, his weigth is reduced and he was slim to begin with and his breathing is really heavy now like he is sucking down air trough a rusty thin pipe. But he says he had it mild and is all better now. Not sure i beleive that.

An equally meaningful statistic: I had mild covid and was totally fine by the 5th day, with the worst symptoms (exhaustion, occasional fever of 100) over by day 3.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Puppy Galaxy posted:

An equally meaningful statistic: I had mild covid and was totally fine by the 5th day, with the worst symptoms (exhaustion, occasional fever of 100) over by day 3.

Oh is it anecdote time? I had it and never even developed a cough. Milder than my average cold. We will see how it goes the next time around.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
My anecdotal COVID experience is that sniping at each other with anecdotal COVID experiences are not very interesting contributions to this thread.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My sniping COVID experience is that anecdoting at each other with sniping COVID experiences are not very interesting contributions to this thread.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baudolino posted:

Mild means you didn't need to go to the hospital.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If only there were some sort of discipline that could take large amounts of data and derive meaningful conclusions from it, so as not to rely on ten thousand separate anecdotes from random people...

Well, a man can dream. I mean, not my cousin's boyfriend's brother, who stopped dreaming after he got the 'rona, but in general :v:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This strikes me as little different from doing nothing at all.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1557816501796851714?s=20&t=VjAX4fT9qNk7A76PN-Idjg
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1557818804155170817?s=20&t=VjAX4fT9qNk7A76PN-Idjg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Roughly in line with what you'd expect given the trajectory of the virus. bopping along at ~1,400 deaths a day worldwide and no medical facility saturation anywhere at the moment?