Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just want to say I'm looking forward to the Legal Eagle episode that I expect started being written today.

that episode is gonna be 6 hours long and gonna need a part 2 about a year from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I never got into Hamilton but it's kind of crazy how there's this backlash against it now. Did the novelty just wear off?

Alaois posted:

the backlash has been going strong for about 5-6 years now

The Trump Administration really put the shotgun to everything the play tried to profess about the United States and made it look even more like a disingenuous fantasy than it already was. Like how nobody likes Jon Stewart anymore because it turned out he was actually just a weakass centrist who helped actually pave the way for Donald Trump's rise of power with his constant appeals to the illusory sanity of middle and inadvertently wound up convincing a lot of people left of center to let their guard down enough for Trump to walk in and just ruthlessly poo poo down their necks for half a decade.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i like jon Stewart

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
We already know your tastes are wildly suspect though

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

nine-gear crow posted:

The Trump Administration really put the shotgun to everything the play tried to profess about the United States and made it look even more like a disingenuous fantasy than it already was. Like how nobody likes Jon Stewart anymore because it turned out he was actually just a weakass centrist who helped actually pave the way for Donald Trump's rise of power with his constant appeals to the illusory sanity of middle and inadvertently wound up convincing a lot of people left of center to let their guard down enough for Trump to walk in and just ruthlessly poo poo down their necks for half a decade.

To a lesser degree I'd also credit the burst of overexposure LMM himself got in the mid-late 2010s (and much like Stewart, his extremely milquetoast personal politics were very badly suited to a rapidly fraying general public) accelerating people just being over his big hit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Miranda is one of the worst rappers I've ever heard

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

i know this is a full 2 and a half minutes long but please listen to this from start to finish i promise you wont be disappointed. it needs to build up to the rap verse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6plVf2T6AOo

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

fun hater posted:

i know this is a full 2 and a half minutes long but please listen to this from start to finish i promise you wont be disappointed. it needs to build up to the rap verse

Oh my god

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Having watched the Disney+ version of Hamilton once just to get it the gently caress out of the way, I can safely say that both Daveed Diggs and Leslie Odom Jr. just absolutely mop the floor with his tone deaf rear end without even breaking a sweat, no doubt.

He's really good on DuckTales though. He doesn't try to sing or rap on DuckTales!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People talk about the In the house like carpet line, but then they miss the inexplicable reference to The House that Jack Built. Probably a reason the games always used Lotus Juice

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

fun hater posted:

i have suddenly regained the love and hope for humankind that lmm's raps stole from me all those years ago

nine-gear crow posted:

Having watched the Disney+ version of Hamilton once just to get it the gently caress out of the way, I can safely say that both Daveed Diggs and Leslie Odom Jr. just absolutely mop the floor with his tone deaf rear end without even breaking a sweat, no doubt.

yeah daveed diggs' work with clipping. is incredibly good

fun hater
May 24, 2009

^^^ clipping. rules

if you hate it you can leave it, like beaver

VVV i think he has a good heart.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 4, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like Jon Stewart a lot this week

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

A fair point, the man has worked his rear end off to earn a modicum of redemption this week. That's nothing to sniff at.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

that was the result of 20 years of advocacy lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just want to say I'm looking forward to the Legal Eagle episode that I expect started being written today.

BrianWilly posted:

What are you talking about?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

What are you talking about?

two separate things: jon stewart was involved in the passage of a law that helps veterans exposed to burn pits financially and medically.

as for the law thing: ahahahahaha look up alex jones today

e: nothing i say is better than reading the headline yourself

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hopefully Jon will use this victory to springboard into advocating for medicare-for-all now. The vets will also get healthcare with that, along with everyone else in the country!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

your lips to god's ears!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hCxHvogsTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAD3enXDwE

Skip Intro recently had a few good videos about Jon Stewart that talk about what he's been doing and the issues (and strengths) with his approach.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Stewart literally made his return to late night stuff with an interview on Colbert where he shouted how it was SO OBVIOUS Covid came from a Wuhan lab and people are just being too PC to say it. Dude has no sense of morals deeper than something directly affecting him like the 9/11 stuff (he was also a huge Iraq war apologist, mocking anti-war protests and sucking off McCain and such whenever he could) and his extreme centrist poo poo like ~rally to restore sanity~ did more to normalize 'wow one side wants to lynch anyone not a rich white land owner and the other thinks maybe decommodifying basic needs like housing and food is a good idea, SO MUCH EXTREMISM ON BOTH SIDES' than anything else.

He's a fantastic comparison to Miranda because Miranda's a huge piece of poo poo who despite wrapping himself in woke rhetoric literally campaigned for horrible privatization focused 'relief' bills for his home of Puerto Rico that led to things like power still being functionally a gamble on major swathes of the island because his father profited off it. Yet he went on John Oliver to cry about how IMPORTANT the bill was so people just assumed it was good.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jon Stewart ftw.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
SOME MORE NEWS - A Brief Look at Jordan Peterson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNWkRw53Jo

It's 3 Hours long just so you know.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

don't look at the timestamp

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

fun hater posted:

Goddamn, this mf spittin'

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

oh hey my first double post

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

No.1 Special posted:

You know, I haven't spent a lot of time listening to Peterson actually talk and after watching this video I'm left with an impression similar to the one I have of Trump where I wonder how anyone who listens to them speaking for more than five seconds can take anything they say seriously.

Hell gently caress, he made Joe Rogan sound reasonable and considered in comparison.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Someone needs to clean their room

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fun hater posted:

two separate things: jon stewart was involved in the passage of a law that helps veterans exposed to burn pits financially and medically.

as for the law thing: ahahahahaha look up alex jones today

e: nothing i say is better than reading the headline yourself

There is always so much news happening, I don't know what people could mean without a specific. That said, holy poo poo. I only knew about Jones' lawyer flipping off the attorney for the Sandy Hook victims, this is absolutely wild.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alex-jones-lawyers-accidentally-leak-years-emails-infowars-financial-d-rcna41378

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I've never seen Hamilton, but I am into musical theatre (was in high school productions, have seen a lot of broadway cast tours and whatnot) and the vibe I always got from Hamilton was that it was just "safe rap" in that it let people who otherwise wouldn't interact with the genre for whatever (probably bad) reason to do so

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

No.1 Special posted:

some time back i was going through my ever expanding "watch later" list and I clicked on The Most Profound Moment in Video Game History (spoilers: it's the MGS2 codec sequence where the AI tells you that they plan to use algorithms to flood as much garbage information to the populace as possible to keep humanity docile, way before memes became a common word, and at least a decade before trump's win), and then I went through the guy's videos, to find out there's a multiparter on jordan peterson which lmaoooo

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

apparently japanese developers in the mid 2000s sourced all of their rhymes from one particular series of sample libraries from a german company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f_VmSoZ7Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4h70B4CwS8&t=85s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T06r-zW1GU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hamilton got praise because Leslie Odom Jr could make you cry by singing a phone book at you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's obviously not why it was successful but the staging in Hamilton is really clever and adds a lot to it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's obviously not why it was successful but the staging in Hamilton is really clever and adds a lot to it.

There's also the fact that while Lin-Manuel Miranda himself can't carry a tune to save his soul, he is a drat good song writer and can craft lyrics that will stay with you long after the show's over, even if the sum of their parts is not all that great in the end.

There is a reason why "We Don't Talk About Bruno" is the most popular Disney musical number of all time and it's only been a thing for little over a year.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah, it's called unlimited marketing budget bb

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

With total sincerity, giving Miranda any credit what so ever for his lyrical abilities is a massive discredit to every Rapper living or dead.

am not throwing away my shot
I am not throwing away my shot
Hey yo, I'm just like my country
I'm young, scrappy, and hungry
And I'm not throwing away my shot
It's time to take a shot!

Yo, I'm a tailor's apprentice
And I got y'all knuckleheads in loco parentis
I'm joining the rebellion cuz I know it's my chance
To socially advance, instead of sewin' some pants
I'm gonna take a
Shot!

Look at this corny poo poo. This is some poo poo a midwestern kid would write to make fun of rap.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dawg most popular things are corny as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Hey it stuck with me like a damned earworm.

But yes even when I first saw Hamilton I knew Miranda was the weakest singer on stage.
And Lotus Juice rules.