Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/brofromanother/status/1554907795161579520?s=21&t=vvZKe6HS_VMEBI7Alq8N2g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the plan: run this tweet format into the ground within 56 hours

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1554863283030466560?t=_D9gxGON_VsZzDwmETUP3A&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 00:55 on Aug 4, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

they're really gonna kill by far the best streaming service............. "lmao"

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1554900258529878017

None of these words mean anything to me. They're combining HBO with HBO?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

she rules

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Every show should be on its own individual streaming service.

And then they should still shuffle the shows around the services all the time for maximum confusion and profits. Sorry, Stargate is on South Park Plus this week. Stargate Plus instead has a fine selection of Doogie Howser MD and Slap Chop commercials.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finally watching s3e1 of The Boys and wow it went straight to "what the gently caress" level pretty quick huh

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
this article was mentioned upthread but i dont think anyone actually posted it

https://mobile.twitter.com/edmundlee/status/1554853985072414722

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

good post btw, thanks

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for this post!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i say swears online posted:

oh right did that "gen z survives in the woods" show come out yet

The Wilds?

Yellowjackets?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ive decided that im gonna start blaming the snyder cut for hbo being cancelled forever because itll piss everyone off. if anyone wants to joinm me feel free

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oglethorpe posted:

The Wilds?

Yellowjackets?

I think they mean Snowflake Mountain, and yeah it did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farm Frenzy posted:

ive decided that im gonna start blaming the snyder cut for hbo being cancelled forever because itll piss everyone off. if anyone wants to joinm me feel free

Funny thing is this might actually be true because WB clearly hates it more than anything else and especially hates that it's been popular and successful because it's unignorable proof that they have been complete idiots

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

Okay. This paragraph is my background which you can skip, but just to understand where I'm coming from: When I got my masters degree in cinematography it was from the #1 rated school for film in the USA. The school was brutal, the first year was 13 hour days 6 days a week. Many of my classmates got divorced. The school is a conservatory which means you create a work, and get it critiqued, there's not really grades or papers or anything. You're just shooting stuff. When you shoot something, you sit underneath the screen as your entire class watches and then you have to sit there as they critique your work for an hour. You do it again for each departement with the teachers critiquing it. We're making shorts for classwork so it's about 15 minutes runtime. So I had to have all my peers critique my film as a whole, which I made with a classmate director, editor, etc. I did cinematography. Then I had my teachers critique my cinematography specifically in front of only the cinematography students. And they are intentionally brutal, and you are not allowed to talk, and your cinematography classmates critique you anonymously, which you receive later. The idea is that when your film goes in front of an audience, you cannot say 'oh, well that day I was feeling tired, it was raining etc'. The work that goes on screen is 100% of your relationship with the audience. I've since worked 3 years as a narrative cinematographer.

The basis of critique in my school was always centered on story. Story is not plot, plot is superficial. The story of starwars could be told as a western, or a samurai flick, you can change the genders of characters and so on. You cannot change that Luke wants to redeem his father after finding out that evil was stronger than good - that's story. The role of the film maker is to have a story intent, and an artistic execution. That's really all the choices a film maker makes, was the story they intended to tell good, coherent, etc. And was the artistry they used to execute it effective - did it work.

Film tells story through an illusion which I will call 'empathy'. We recognize the characters on screen and worry about them, want to see them achieve their goals, identify with them, fantasize 'what if we were like them', etc, through empathy. The way the empathy is communicated is by what in writing is called 'third person intimate'. We do not have a first person account, where we can hear their thoughts or see through their eyes directly, but we also do not have an objective or omniscient understanding of every character who appears on screen, we learn what the character learns, see what they see. Each moment of the story identifies with one narrative point of view, and overall the film will follow one character or one group of characters' point of view. We don't need to always have empathy with only one character, but we will prefer the main character in moments of conflict.

We build empathy through the moments specifically highlighted by the film. We cut to a character's hand clenched, we cut to their reaction to hearing good news, we cut to a close up of a gun that's held to their head or w/e. Even screenplays are written like "John looks at his feet" not "john felt embarrassed and couldn't bear to maintain eye contact" - we don't explicitly know why john makes those choices, but through empathy we immediately understand his emotional state from observation.

Film making's worth is judged solely by the audience, and it is experiential not intellectual. When a film 'resonates' with the audience, when they get some enjoyment out of it - which could manifest as crying, feeling tension, feeling afraid, not just pleasure but enjoyment, I would say the film is 'working'. Working is the fundamental objective. It's just often when it doesn't work, it's because empathy with a character who's conflict is the story, wasn't achieved, and when it's working, it was achieved. So this is the rule on which I immediately analyze things, but there are of course always amazing counter examples. I just think they are rare.

So to sum up this part, I believe story, the foundation of narrative film, is told through a character's point of view which we understand through the illusion of empathy, and a filmmaker's goal is to never break this empathy, and enhance it whenever possible.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ybfVT9gxA

Ed harris enters and the camera is pinned to him. We are 'with him' in this moment, the world moves by him just like the world moves by us in our subjective experience of it. He notices Baldwin just as the POV switches to Alan Arkin, we are over his shoulder and seeing what he sees. It might not be easy to tell, but in this first shot the camera also booms down from Ed Harris's eye level to a lower position better matching Alan Arkin and jack lemmon. Ed harris gives his line when the camera is 'with him' and Alan gives his line when we are 'with him'. Both gives us a cue - who is this baldwin guy? this question only makes sense if we don't identify with Baldwin but we do with the other people in the room. We aren't asking -who are all these people? we are focused on wondering about Baldwin.

Next 3 or 4 shots baldwin controls the point of view. We get a dynamic boom down from above his head, and then a tracking shot matching what he see's. He's trying to set a dynamic shift of energy in the room and establish control of these people, who are sitting below his eye level. When we see Jack Lemmon pouring the coffee, the camera is far away - again Baldwins position. Jack Lemmon's performance makes him look a little inadequate, and caught unaware - how Baldwin sees these guys. Lemmon's shot is static - again he's caught unaware, in the spotlight, pinned, a true POV shot from Baldwin's character.

Then we have the first exchange. The camera is across the room, and dollys to meet Baldwin as he says "you think I'm loving with you". This is how Lemmon sees him. The shot ends with Baldwin looking almost directly into camera and the others in the room, out of focus behind him, looking on to see who will win the conflict. Pressure is on Lemmon now. He's fired.

Baldwin moves back to the front of the room, camera moves with him. He moves - camera moves. He's in control. low angle shot for "Oh, have I got your attention now?" - power, he's above them, they're starting to get it. at 1min 46 seconds another true POV - Ed harris sits down to hear what he's got to say. Ed harris is the character with the strongest arrogance.

2:09 - Camera is at Ed harris's eye level as he questions if Baldwin is serious. The film maker is asking the audience to identify with him now, we viewers should also be questioning - isn't this absurd? Are we really in trouble? Tension. No longer the power fantasy of being baldwin, now the worry for the security of our other characters. They glance at eachother. When we cut back to baldwin we are further away and lower - the POV of someone sitting in those desks. The POV of Ed Harris, Jack Lemmon and Alan Arkin.

At 3:30 - push on on the final Always Be Closing - this is important. Still below Baldwin's eye level.

At 4:00 - Confrontation between Baldwin and Lemmon - On both shot and reverse shot camera is at Lemmon's eye level. This moment is not a question of who is right. This is about what Lemmon is feeling and what he's going to do about it. Baldwin's not part of the audience's empathy right now. Just lemmon. Baldwin already won.

At 4:22 - Baldwin sits down with Ed Harris. Now it is a question about who will win, they are eye to eye. We feel the conflict is between the two characters, not inside of one character.

For the rest of the scene, whenever we see the men in their desks or look at Baldwin from the front, the camera is lower - at desk eye level. Even taking out the brass balls. Unless he's talking to Spacey - then we are at Spacey's eye level.

I also think the choice of rain and cars passing are genius. The world is harsh, but they were safe in this little room until now, another force of nature has entered. The cars passing to me makes it feel more like the world doesn't care what happens to you - everyone outside is going about their own business, unaware, you alone have to figure it out. Setting it at night is genius - shows they value their job above all else and work late. Shows the stakes. The dim lighting shows its a tense place to be, not friendly and not matter of fact. Each desk is lit by its own lamp - each person works form themselves. These choices involve time of day which the screenwriter decides, set dressing which the production designer decides, and blocking, which director and actors decide, but they are very much part of camera and lighting and so cinematography and I will always be giving notes like this when I work with people. "can we give each desk its own lamp so I can light each actor in an island of light, making them feel less like a team and more on their own" a big part of this story.

Now look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X3p42GaM5I

the camera tracks affleck, at his eye level, in almost all of his shots, so in this scene it's affleck all the way through? but we have a random cut to Ribisi at eye level, and he looks like he's at odds with affleck. But by the eyeline, I don't feel he's even looking at affleck. On the cut affleck is moving left, but Rabisi's eyes aren't tracking anything. He just blinks a few times. Cut back to affleck at affleck's eye level. There's some inserts of extras watching affleck move - why? who's point of view - the extra's? what does that have to do with the story, neither affleck nor rabisi see them looking so it adds nothing to our empathy, it's just a 'thing that happened'.

at 0:40 we are over affleck's shoulders, he's obscuring the room. where is rabisi? cut to - rabisi is under him. Shows rabisi wants to stand up but affleck is too imposing, kinda works but again they share lighting, the camera splits the height of their eyelines - not based on empathy for either character. trying to have it both ways - make us empathize with opposing viewpoints simultaneously - it will never work. better if they were across the room from eachother or the camera was low to show rabisi grow impatient. make affleck's hand darting around feel really anoying like a fly by your ear. I can identify with that and feel what Rabisi must be feeling.

at 1:20 we start the final confrontation, affleck starts to win over the extras, but we film the extras way off their eyeline, almost at 90 degrees. The camera is in no one's point of view. its just a throwaway shot. We are far from the extras, above their eyes slightly, and off axis. We could see from Rabisi's point of view one extra turn to another and smile, or from affleck's see that he's winning them over, or from the extra's the excitement they're having between themselves. but we get none of those hints from where the camera is.

also starting around 1:20 affleck is lit from below, I kinda like this, he looks not well intentioned. Rabisi is lit more evenly, he seems more calm and collected.

This scene also has a lot of tight shots without context. Cinematoraphy has to show you how the room looks to the character. If Rabisi or Affleck were claustrophobic in this space I could see shooting it this way, but they are both comfortable in this room. I don't know if it's day or night. Screenplay loglines only give 3 pieces of information - interior or exterior, location, and time of day. cinematoraphy should never gently caress up communicating basic information like where we are, when we are there, and how the characters are arranged in the room. This scene starts by failing at two of those. it also doesn't tell me how it feels to be there cause the lighting is unexpressive but also not drab and matter of fact - its just kinda ugly. It doesn't put me in the seats of the people sitting there.

this rules, thank you

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

yeah sure im down

this is cool, thanks for sharing

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

cool

but also lol because i'm picturing you going through this gruelling education, and having all this extremely precise and specialized knowledge, and then getting a gig on 'The House Next Door: Meet the Blacks 2' or one of those bruce willis aphasia movies

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

this is a good take and I will also be participating

also Ezra Miller being the tazmanian devil of sex pests

Dysthymia
May 13, 2022
Finished Not Okay. Not good, not bad, just okay. Certainly not problematic the way social media has decided it is.

The terminally-online “we stan a kween” pieces of dialogue are insufferable though. I’ve never seen a movie tastefully incorporate Internet lingo. It’s like modern Buffyspeak.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Farm Frenzy posted:

oh god youre going to attract the tviv synder goons to this thread again

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dysthymia posted:

Finished Not Okay. Not good, not bad, just okay. Certainly not problematic the way social media has decided it is.

The terminally-online “we stan a kween” pieces of dialogue are insufferable though. I’ve never seen a movie tastefully incorporate Internet lingo. It’s like modern Buffyspeak.

I think it's because no one actually talks like that in real life and when they do they're doing it semi-sarcastically. it's like saying "el oh el" out loud, a wink at how stupid it is to be saying instead of typing is kind of implied

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dysthymia posted:

just okay.

Pretty confused here TBH

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Pretty confused here TBH

That's okay.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
personally I would not name my movie something like "Not Okay" because you're just opening yourself for a critic to say something like "NOT OKAY is Even Worse Than Advertised"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"Not Okay is Not Good"

Dysthymia
May 13, 2022
“Is Not Okay Okay?”

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

"It's fine."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

apparently the guy running WB discovery now is the reason discovery channel shitcanned their location in silver springs MD and fired hundreds of people in the process(He resented having to go to Maryland instead of getting to stay in the Hollywood/NYC suck-n-gently caress bubble) so, lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

apparently the guy running WB discovery now is the reason discovery channel shitcanned their location in silver springs MD and fired hundreds of people in the process(He resented having to go to Maryland instead of getting to stay in the Hollywood/NYC suck-n-gently caress bubble) so, lmao

it rules that they can have a job where people all over the world call them a dumb rear end in a top hat who's ruining everything they like about the product for like a week straight, and they will still get paid more money than I will make in a year in that time

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe people should shut up about not being able to watch Real Sex or whatever if absolutely none of them are willing to track down and assault the man responsible

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Maybe people should shut up about not being able to watch Real Sex or whatever if absolutely none of them are willing to track down and assault the man responsible

how bout you leave the complaining to me and i'll leave the tracking down and assaulting to you

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this is a good take and I will also be participating

also Ezra Miller being the tazmanian devil of sex pests

Snyder cast Ezra Miller AND Amber Heard

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

how bout you leave the complaining to me and i'll leave the tracking down and assaulting to you

i dont give a poo poo what streaming services do because i pirate everything like an adult

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mameluke posted:

i dont give a poo poo what streaming services do because i pirate everything like an adult

okay? did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or something

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Filthy Hans posted:

Snyder cast Ezra Miller AND Amber Heard

excuse me ma'am, are you going to be spuriously accused by your husband of making GBS threads a bed six years from now? because you can't be in the movie otherwise

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

amber turd

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Those examples are bad.
Glengarry Glen Ross is a play, and because the human head can just do what ever during a play, the play-write has to direct the viewer using their words. And Plays use a much strong audio/ word direction than visual. A freshman could track that scene and do an okay job at it. You just follow the words and do what comes natural. You don't even need the visuals.

"Put the coffee down." Point the camera at a guy getting coffee. A real movie would never say that line, A real movie would have had the two characters make eye contact, and one guy would say "Really?" and then he would have put the coffee down. Or better yet No words. "I have a bmw"- Not seen "My watch is expensive."- Just sort of there. In real movies, there would be a quick shot of the guy stepping out of the car and shaking his clothing.

Also that scene is horribly acted because the scene as a play doesn't know what the hell it is doing from inception. That guy is supposed to act like a greek god or a king put into the modern world with character who don't realize what he is. Somebody who doesn't care about these ants and is just there to tell them about the competition. Not even the the play writer understand this is trying to marvel as the cruelness of Capitalism by having 'fun' with words. No Greek god would ever say "gently caress you." People with power don't need to use vulgarity. Real rich and powerful, blabber on and on and on becasue they know you have to listen. Or they say a thing and out, they have no time to waste. A greek god wouldn't bother saying stuff like "I have this or that." They would be bored and wouldn't even answer half the questions. It's an insecure character trying to look like a special boy in front of people he doesn't want to see himself in. An actor has to carry most of the performance and the masses forced that play to popular enough that actors rose up the character and words. At it's core it's insecure play-write talking to other insecure play-writes.

In GGR that scene sets up the game.

In Boiler room it is a semi-meaningless scene outside of trying capture Afflec's performance because he's money, and would look good in the trailer
Cut to trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgCLG4gCAvI

The boiler room scene is a completely different machine because of its internal mechanics . Sure it's some guy with a lot of power telling a bunch of people to work harder. But there is a huge difference in power dynamics

GGR that guy wants everybody fired. "You ask me, Fire them." And he is telling one guy that they are fired, just not sure which one.

In boiler room there is no risk. It's a boring meeting in a boring office with a Public Relations guy trying to get you work for their company, the guy in power is more like a football coach trying to rally his team to play in the big game or an advertiser, "in three years you will have a million dollars." It doesn't set up the game, it's an hint that something is wrong.

It's SEMI-meaningless because the whole business is a scam. So the scene works on that level of being fake. The guy talking knows it's a scam, and his speech is a completely superficial acting job in the movie. The story is simulating real life life by cherry picking from films that everybody assumes they know. It's movie watchers trying to turn their real life into a movie. It's a movie trying to simulate real life by pretending it's a movie. Not seeing Afflec's car, house, or him looking that rich enhances that shady scene. In a movie that performance works way better, then the GGR performance.

The movie knows this, but none of the actors, or people working on the movie know this. (Movies are given so much, and they just piss it away.)

That scene spiritually wants to be the scene from Wolf of Wallstreet where the guy pounds his chest. But that Boiler room is a scene is hell for where to point the camera at. Offices are inherently boring. It's why the tv show the office has to use a Faux documentary style as a constant joke and kept the camera movie, and a bit wobbly. Honestly What dose anybody point the camera at in the Boiler room scene. Afflecl walking around ranting? Sure. All the other people in that scene a putz extras nobody should care about, but give them a few shots of them reacting. Good! And then you have the main character. The Creators are torn from wanting to the viewer into his shoes would would be like sitting in a meeting, and wanting to show off his facial reaction, and making dynamic visuals. Making that scene look movie-good requires an expert hand.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Aug 4, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
somebody got jealous that someone else's effort post was being appreciated lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The point of the post was that good cinematography is often invisible because it's building a foundation for you to feel what the character is feeling. it's playing 'rhythm' while the actor or writer or whoever 'solos'. It's not always high contrast, colorful lighting and big camera moves or wide lenses or whatever. If you're admiring the cinematography as an audience member that's often taking you out of the story so you have to be careful.

I don't think GGR is the best movie I just think that Glenngary Gelnn Ross scene commits to point of view really well and if you watch movies you won't see point of view switch that much in most scenes. for me that scene did something difficult and made no bad choices while doing it and supports the scene really well. Plays don't have the ability to highlight - they are not third person intimate like I mentioned. So how do you take a play and turn it into a moving, 2 dimensional image?

The boiler room scene is working with similar elements on the page, yeah the stakes are lower but I think you can imagine it being shot like the GGR scene and coming out better for it.

They were just teaching aids basically - to help you see what I was brainwashed into thinking is good cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cinematography being invisible wasn't even the point of the post that post was in response to but it was a good effortpost so I didn't complain v:v:v