Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yes, slang from those who sadly lived in the area.

Snowbirds should just probably avoid that area of BC/Alberta. They had a fatal crash a short distance away just outside of GP years ago too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

slidebite posted:

Yes, slang from those who sadly lived in the area.

Snowbirds should just probably avoid that area of BC/Alberta. They had a fatal crash a short distance away just outside of GP years ago too.

Maybe they should consider flying something slightly newer than a jet built in the early 60s.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

springbank?

Yeh

Didn't do much walking around to look at static displays, and unfortunately the warbirds hosed off back home before the end of the show, but it was nice spending an afternoon in the sun with my parents at a cool thing

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dr.Smasher posted:

Maybe they should consider flying something slightly newer than a jet built in the early 60s.
Hey
That's not Canadian

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

they absolutely should not do this. Their aerobatics are way better because they do them slllllooooowwwww (and quiet for a jet)

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Dr.Smasher posted:

Avro Arrows would be cool.

Whoops...

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Jonny Nox posted:

they absolutely should not do this. Their aerobatics are way better because they do them slllllooooowwwww (and quiet for a jet)

I've seen them perform. It's a good show, don't get me wrong. Technical proficiency at It's highest. But if their equipment keeps lithobraking, they should consider upgrading.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Phy posted:

Yeh

Didn't do much walking around to look at static displays, and unfortunately the warbirds hosed off back home before the end of the show, but it was nice spending an afternoon in the sun with my parents at a cool thing

I saw the CF-18s practicing on the Thursday before the show, and gently caress me they're loud. Didn't actually go to the airshow, driving out to Springbank on a day I'm not getting paid is no longer something I'm interested in under any circumstances ;)

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Dr.Smasher posted:

lithobraking
This is great and I'm stealing it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The RCAF uses the BAE Hawk as a trainer. You'd think it'd be a no brainer to just go with that seeing as the Red Arrows have made theirs work.

I know, I know..."that makes sense, which is why they'll never do it."

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

cigaw posted:

This is great and I'm stealing it.

You're stealing it from NASA (I think), so it's publicly owned anyway

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The term originated from Usenet, I want to say that Scott Manley popularized it early in his KSP video phase and then it later became an Official Space Term when NASA deliberately crashed a probe into the moon

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Neat. The more you know.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

The term originated from Usenet, I want to say that Scott Manley popularized it early in his KSP video phase and then it later became an Official Space Term when NASA deliberately crashed a probe into the moon

I’m not sure about Mars pathfinder/sojourner in 1997 but it was an official or at least commonly used term when the first MER (spirit) landed in 2004.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

FuturePastNow posted:

NASA’s plans for returning samples from Mass involves lithobraking, the capsule is going to land back on earth without a parachute because it removes the possibility of parachute failure.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

illectro posted:

NASA’s plans for returning samples from Mass involves lithobraking, the capsule is going to land back on earth without a parachute because it removes the possibility of parachute failure.

:hmmorks:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Orks would just think about it. This feels very :jeb:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

illectro posted:

Ah neat, do you know the first time the term was used in like an official NASA document?

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 4, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

illectro posted:

It’s dirt. It’s not like slamming it into the ground is going to hurt it.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

illectro posted:

NASA’s plans for returning samples from Mass

Amen :catholic:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone used their parachute on their light aircraft in Belgium.

Any landing you walk away from...

https://i.imgur.com/M7iCf3U.mp4

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 4, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Something something stood there recording something 3 pages of discourse something.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-08-04/plane-crashes-after-overshooting-the-runway-at-cotswold-airport

The CCTV is quite spectacular.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How come the Blue Angels don't show up on the flight tracking app? I thought they're supposed to have their transponders on.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
They may not during a show. ATC radars (someone correct me if I’m wrong) aren’t huge fans of close flying aircraft all squawking. That being said, lots of military aircraft don’t have ADSB-Out capabilities.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bob A Feet posted:

They may not during a show. ATC radars (someone correct me if I’m wrong) aren’t huge fans of close flying aircraft all squawking. That being said, lots of military aircraft don’t have ADSB-Out capabilities.

Ah okay. They are very close obviously. I'm sure they have a big block of airspace carved out on a NOTAM anyway.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
They were definitely in the airspace over my house this afternoon. Been a few years since I've seen them in person and forgot how loud those unrestricted turbojets are.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They’re low bypass turbofans. Turbojets were even louder.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, look up E-3 Sentry or 727 takeoffs. :aaa:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The JT8D is also a low bypass turbofan, but it’s closer in design to its turbojet predecessor.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

We spent three years at Loring AFB when I was 9-12 years old. The wing had B-52Gs—each with eight J57 water-injection turbojets. Impossibly loud.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

You wanna relieve the 70s airbase neighbor noise experience, hang out somewhere that flies T-38s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr_Strangelove posted:

We spent three years at Loring AFB when I was 9-12 years old. The wing had B-52Gs—each with eight J57 water-injection turbojets. Impossibly loud.

WHAT?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

You wanna relieve the 70s airbase neighbor noise experience, hang out somewhere that flies T-38s

I just bought a house near whiteman and they still fly a few them there. I had a couple A10’s doing pattern work over the house while I was out there last week.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A-10s are positively quiet compared to nearly anything else in the inventory.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

EXACTLY

shame on an IGA posted:

Too bad there are no more T-37s. The 6,000 Pound Dog Whistle.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

They basically have CRJ-200 engines.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

MrYenko posted:

I was very surprised by this during the Milwaukee Air Show a couple of weeks ago. It was a stark difference from, say, the F-22.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Didn’t grow up near an air base but the single loudest thing I’ve ever heard was a Harrier doing a hover demo at an air show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Today was F-35 and P-51 day. From some angles I could hear the V-12 over the jet. My guess is the exhaust headers are pointed the right way to hear them plus the prop noise.

My dad used to take me to air shows as a kid and the loudest plane was a very low and very slow B-1 flyover. Stupid loud and probably part of where my tinnitus comes from.

Edit: If anyone's at seafair do you know what the third plane flying around with the EA-18G's is?

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 7, 2022