Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hekk posted:

Yeah I shouldn’t have said “slow down your back cast” and instead said “lengthen the pause in your back cast”. I stood in my yard over an entire weekend and absolutely thrashed a leader and tippet before I got the timing down enough to feel comfortable.

If you practice with the same length of line, the timing will always be the same. Just know that as you shorten or lengthen line that will also mean you need to hold that pause less or more. Looking over your shoulder to see the line helps give a good visual indicator too.

The other big thing I found myself doing when first starting out was trying to muscle my casts. I do much better when my arm is relaxed and it’s all a kind of flicking motion. It doesn’t matter had hard I try to push or pull with my arm, I don’t cast better and just tire myself out.
Timing is also impacted by wind so I would caution against getting too wedded to a specific timing and rather learn how it should feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Valt posted:

You really need the rod to do the work for you.

Important point here. Casting should feel graceful and easy. Remember, you're casting the line, not the fly.

FWIW one heuristic to use is this: If you're muscling part of your cast, you probably let slack get into the system in the previous step somewhere. For example, if you find you're trying to punch your forward cast into the next county, it's probably because there's slack coming from an incomplete back cast. Watch your back cast (no law says you're not allowed to look back there), and make sure it's straight before you start your forward cast. Alternatively, if you're trying to muscle your back cast, it's probably because there's slack in the line when you're picking it up, meaning you're not even starting to load the road until halfway through the backward stroke. The later one is something I see a lot of on the river with beginning casters. Make sure you're taking in any slack line before you begin your cast. You can always let it out. But if there's slack in the system to begin with, you're already doomed.

LeeMajors posted:

I think the worry about it falling is psychological, not because I'm going too slow. I definitely think I am muscling up a little and I'm also popping too low so instead of 11 I'm closer to 9-10 o'clock. Another thing I have a hard time doing is keeping my wrist adducted so the forearm and rod are straight--I'm flexing my wrist during my cast.

Flexing your wrist a little is fine. If you're overly concerned about it, hold the rod in a pistol grip, with your thumb on top and your index finger extending outward toward the rod tip. But mostly focus on the rod tip vs your wrist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfedI7dY-ns

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I just broke down and bought a cheap 3wt. fly rod setup to try to learn how to fly fish! I just picked up a MAXCATCH Epic rod and reel, which had decent reviews for getting started. I was about to pull the trigger on a TFO rod with Lamson liquid reel but then I just felt like for a bluegill rod do I really need anything that nice to get going?

I’m going to start with bluegill/crappie fishing, which I’m pretty excited about it! I have a trip to Yosemite with the family in like three weeks, so there’s an outside shot I’m going to get a chance to chase some small rainbows or something. Not sure if the 3wt is the best for that though.

Any recommendations for line/leader/tippet for chasing bluegill?

I work from home so I’m very much planning on just practicing casts in my yard over lunch/between meetings.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DoctaFun posted:

I just broke down and bought a cheap 3wt. fly rod setup to try to learn how to fly fish! I just picked up a MAXCATCH Epic rod and reel, which had decent reviews for getting started. I was about to pull the trigger on a TFO rod with Lamson liquid reel but then I just felt like for a bluegill rod do I really need anything that nice to get going?

I’m going to start with bluegill/crappie fishing, which I’m pretty excited about it! I have a trip to Yosemite with the family in like three weeks, so there’s an outside shot I’m going to get a chance to chase some small rainbows or something. Not sure if the 3wt is the best for that though.

I work from home so I’m very much planning on just practicing casts in my yard over lunch/between meetings.

I am still pretty new to fly fishing so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I caught probably two dozen bluegill and sunfish on the most beat up line and leader I'd seen on a loaner Orvis Clearwater when I was doing their fly fishing 201 class. Panfish seem to not be picky about anything so you can get away with not spending a ton on equipment. I linked some Rio stuff that isn't expensive. There is cheaper stuff out there but I don't know a ton of brands yet so I stuck with brands I know not to be trash.

Cheap Rio 3wt line.
https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Brands-6...ng%2C81&sr=1-25'

6x leader
https://www.amazon.com/Products-Lea...ng%2C89&sr=1-22

6x tippet
https://www.amazon.com/RIO-Fishing-...ng%2C102&sr=1-4

You could go up to a 5x leader and maybe get a couple of different sized tippet so you can play around with different fly sizes but honestly I don't think panfish would give a poo poo either way.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Hekk posted:

I am still pretty new to fly fishing so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I caught probably two dozen bluegill and sunfish on the most beat up line and leader I'd seen on a loaner Orvis Clearwater when I was doing their fly fishing 201 class. Panfish seem to not be picky about anything so you can get away with not spending a ton on equipment. I linked some Rio stuff that isn't expensive. There is cheaper stuff out there but I don't know a ton of brands yet so I stuck with brands I know not to be trash.

Cheap Rio 3wt line.
https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Brands-6...ng%2C81&sr=1-25'

6x leader
https://www.amazon.com/Products-Lea...ng%2C89&sr=1-22

6x tippet
https://www.amazon.com/RIO-Fishing-...ng%2C102&sr=1-4

You could go up to a 5x leader and maybe get a couple of different sized tippet so you can play around with different fly sizes but honestly I don't think panfish would give a poo poo either way.

I pretty much exclusively use 4x tippet and leader on my rods. The only rod thats gets different is the 8wt where I use 0x and 2x. Bass and bluegill are not tippet shy and really won't care. You are right that you don't need some fancy setup to catch bluegill or bass. Take this for what you will but I bought a maxcatch reel and immediately did not like it. There was no pawl to keep the reel from just reeling in line as you are casting. Also the instant I put it in water it felt like it was full of gravel when reeling line in. My suggestion to new people is to go with a combo from one of the major manufacturers like orvis, tfo, or echo. They all make combos that are around $200 and are complete and ready to fish.

https://www.orvis.com/encounter-fly-rod-outfit/3AR9.html

https://tforods.com/product/nxt-black-label-kit/

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/echoliftkit/

I think the thing you will learn is that what rod size you want to use extremely depends on where you are fishing. For instance on the lake this weekend I only used the 8wt since I had plenty of room to make back casts and I needed to be able to push into the wind. However when fishing the smaller rivers and creeks here in texas I almost exclusively use my 3wt since its 6'9". This rod can't really make big long casts or cast into the wind very well but its good for short accurate casts.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Valt posted:

I pretty much exclusively use 4x tippet and leader on my rods. The only rod thats gets different is the 8wt where I use 0x and 2x. Bass and bluegill are not tippet shy and really won't care. You are right that you don't need some fancy setup to catch bluegill or bass. Take this for what you will but I bought a maxcatch reel and immediately did not like it. There was no pawl to keep the reel from just reeling in line as you are casting. Also the instant I put it in water it felt like it was full of gravel when reeling line in. My suggestion to new people is to go with a combo from one of the major manufacturers like orvis, tfo, or echo. They all make combos that are around $200 and are complete and ready to fish.

https://www.orvis.com/encounter-fly-rod-outfit/3AR9.html

https://tforods.com/product/nxt-black-label-kit/

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/echoliftkit/

I think the thing you will learn is that what rod size you want to use extremely depends on where you are fishing. For instance on the lake this weekend I only used the 8wt since I had plenty of room to make back casts and I needed to be able to push into the wind. However when fishing the smaller rivers and creeks here in texas I almost exclusively use my 3wt since its 6'9". This rod can't really make big long casts or cast into the wind very well but its good for short accurate casts.

I am fishing with an Orvis Clearwater 9ft 8wt and a Redington Trout Field Kit 9ft 5wt. I have 2x on the 8wt and 5x on the 5wt. I've never used 6x before but figured that was what people used on lower weight rods. I bought a spool holder of 2x-6x tippet so I can taper down to something that thin but it hasn't shipped yet.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Thanks for the replies! I looked and looked for a prebuilt outfit for a 3wt. and couldn’t find one for a low price.

My plan would be to upgrade a bit if I enjoy it, I have no problem buying more fishing rods lol, I’ll probably just end up selling one of my st croix walleye rods. But this way I’ll be all setup for under $150 or so I think.

There’s a shop near me that’s closing out their TFO Pro II rods for like $130, so that may be an option if I decide to go that route, and Sierra.com has some 3 and 5wt lamson remix reels on sale for a decent price.

Or I’ll just pickup an encounter kit or something!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DoctaFun posted:

Anything works for bluegills. Cheap line is fine. Good fly line is much more important in moving water because the water will pull on lovely line more making a good drift more difficult. Get a threepack of 4x 7.5 leaders. And some 4x tippet. Bluegills aren’t leader shy and 6x is a pain when you’re new.

Also, buy the smallest popping bugs you can find. Tons of fun.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Dik Hz posted:

Anything works for bluegills. Cheap line is fine. Good fly line is much more important in moving water because the water will pull on lovely line more making a good drift more difficult. Get a threepack of 4x 7.5 leaders. And some 4x tippet. Bluegills aren’t leader shy and 6x is a pain when you’re new.

Also, buy the smallest popping bugs you can find. Tons of fun.

Yeah you can get packs of poppers and clousers on amazon for cheap as well.

https://a.co/d/6ge9nD6
https://a.co/d/irmdQuA

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yo what up fishing thread.
Despite my interest in fishing in the past I ain't hardly done any fishing the last few years.
Nor do I really keep up with this, the official SA fishing thread!

But here I am, and now need some advice.
In a few weeks I'm going on vacation. Its a lake that I have done a ton of fishing at in the past, but not for several years.
I know a gang of spots for pike, large mouth and small mouth bass, and there are supposed to be some walleye in the lake.

Its in Canadian Shield country, Eastern Ontario. Max depth about 30-35 feet and I'm hoping to pull a few Wallies out of the lake.
Last time I saw a Walleye come out of the lake was about 30 something years ago when my brother just happened to catch one somewhere out in the middle. I don't remember what he was using as I was maybe 10-12 years old at the time and didn't really know that much or whatever.

Last time I got a Walleye was about 20 ish years ago in College, but I was fishing in a river, using black Jig heads, white Mr.Twister style plastic grubs with stinger hooks and worms hooked between the hook on the jig head and stingers. But that was a river, with a current. This a Canadian shield lake with a couple creeks going in, one creek going out (that I know of) and only a couple spots where there is anything resembling a "current".

So uhhh, what kind of poo poo should I use to try and get some Walters?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Despite my interest in fishing in the past I ain't hardly done any fishing the last few years.

In a few weeks I'm going on vacation. Its a lake that I have done a ton of fishing at in the past, but not for several years.
I know a gang of spots for pike, large mouth and small mouth bass, and there are supposed to be some walleye in the lake.

Its in Canadian Shield country, Eastern Ontario. Max depth about 30-35 feet and I'm hoping to pull a few Wallies out of the lake.
Last time I saw a Walleye come out of the lake was about 30 something years ago when my brother just happened to catch one somewhere out in the middle. I don't remember what he was using as I was maybe 10-12 years old at the time and didn't really know that much or whatever.

Last time I got a Walleye was about 20 ish years ago in College, but I was fishing in a river, using black Jig heads, white Mr.Twister style plastic grubs with stinger hooks and worms hooked between the hook on the jig head and stingers. But that was a river, with a current. This a Canadian shield lake with a couple creeks going in, one creek going out (that I know of) and only a couple spots where there is anything resembling a "current".

Can you name the lake and location so i can look at a map? Or even better yet, if there’s resorts on the lake maybe there’s a depth/contour map available?

I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with a jig and a minnow or a jig and crawler. If it’s a lightly pressured lake in Canada you’ll catch walleyes with that presentation in just about any lake up there.

I’d look for main lake structure(reefs, sunken islands/humps, etc) if you can find a lake map.

If not, main lake points or islands are usually good for at least a couple fish during the summer.

I’d probably target 16-18 feet of water, and if that doesn’t produce I’d slide out to 20-24 feet.

Another option would be to slowly back troll lindy rigs around points/islands. That will cover some water and if there’s a good population of walleye in the lake you should at least run into a couple. Then if you notice a pattern or productive spot, park on top of it and vertical jig.

Current areas can definitely be good too, so fishing where the creek dumps into the lake could be worth trying, just not sure if that type of location is better when your closer to spring/spawning season.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i've fished all over this province and though i'm normally a river fisherman, when i go up to kawarthas/bancroft i fish the lakes, and almost every walleye i've ever pulled out of the water has been on a big spinner or spoon. when it's cool and overcast (spring and fall), jigging with local bait shop minnows works well too but this'll pull everything in the lake (usually smallies before anything else). rocky points is a good tip for summer fishing as well, as noted above

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DoctaFun posted:

Can you name the lake and location so i can look at a map? Or even better yet, if there’s resorts on the lake maybe there’s a depth/contour map available?

I’d say it’s hard to go wrong with a jig and a minnow or a jig and crawler. If it’s a lightly pressured lake in Canada you’ll catch walleyes with that presentation in just about any lake up there.

I’d look for main lake structure(reefs, sunken islands/humps, etc) if you can find a lake map.

If not, main lake points or islands are usually good for at least a couple fish during the summer.

I’d probably target 16-18 feet of water, and if that doesn’t produce I’d slide out to 20-24 feet.

Another option would be to slowly back troll lindy rigs around points/islands. That will cover some water and if there’s a good population of walleye in the lake you should at least run into a couple. Then if you notice a pattern or productive spot, park on top of it and vertical jig.

Current areas can definitely be good too, so fishing where the creek dumps into the lake could be worth trying, just not sure if that type of location is better when your closer to spring/spawning season.

https://www.anglersatlas.com/place/127015/fifth-depot-lake

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6089891,-76.8681679,2317m/data=!3m1!1e3

IIRC the deepest part of the lake is across the lake from the resort (where I'll be staying).
Thats also about where my brother caught his Walleye like 30 some years ago. Now that I think of it, he may have been using something resembling a wally diver, but it was so long ago I really don't remember. We were both kids out in a boat and probably not really targeting anything specific.

If you draw a line from the point just south of the resort, to due west across the lake, thats about where we were when he got it.
I'll have a boat but just a rental, no fish finder or trolling motor. Just a tinner with a 9.9 on it. There are a few shoals, and sunken points around islands.

Back when I was a kid, the water level was probably about 3-4 feet lower (ok maybe not that much) than it is now, because of beaver dams, so some "islands" are now shoals. I still remember where most of them are, and I'm not planning on bombing around the lake so I hopefully won't poke any holes in the boat.

The light green lilly pads at the north west corner of the lake where the creek comes in is pretty sweet bass and pike fishing, but surprisingly the lilly pad bed at the south end of the lake hasn't given me much luck. Still going to try though. I'll have all week.

E: Also notable, while wading on the beach at the resort several years ago I was just chilling in the water and had a fuckin sunfish bite my nipple.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 3, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I find that those mega bass dark sleepers at a 1/4 ounce size are super low maintenance , easy to fish, and catch everything that eats to a shocking degree. That on a spinning rod is what I recommend.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I just checked those out, oooooh, they look neato.

Might have to pick up a couple of them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I just checked those out, oooooh, they look neato.

Might have to pick up a couple of them.

Their action is just perfect and you just tie it on and fish. They also do a great job of being snag resistant. They also hold up well after catching a lot of fish. I would think that those toothy fish might tear a few up if you have a long, successful day. I would also think people are use to that though in those areas.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Valt posted:

Yeah you can get packs of poppers and clousers on amazon for cheap as well.

https://a.co/d/6ge9nD6
https://a.co/d/irmdQuA

That popper kit is garbage and doesn’t pop right. I own a couple copies. The front ends aren’t concave enough to pop right. You can carve them out with a steak knife to make them work, but I always recommend supporting your local fly shop when purchasing flies.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

https://www.anglersatlas.com/place/127015/fifth-depot-lake

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6089891,-76.8681679,2317m/data=!3m1!1e3

IIRC the deepest part of the lake is across the lake from the resort (where I'll be staying).
Thats also about where my brother caught his Walleye like 30 some years ago. Now that I think of it, he may have been using something resembling a wally diver, but it was so long ago I really don't remember. We were both kids out in a boat and probably not really targeting anything specific.

If you draw a line from the point just south of the resort, to due west across the lake, thats about where we were when he got it.
I'll have a boat but just a rental, no fish finder or trolling motor. Just a tinner with a 9.9 on it. There are a few shoals, and sunken points around islands.

Back when I was a kid, the water level was probably about 3-4 feet lower (ok maybe not that much) than it is now, because of beaver dams, so some "islands" are now shoals. I still remember where most of them are, and I'm not planning on bombing around the lake so I hopefully won't poke any holes in the boat.

The light green lilly pads at the north west corner of the lake where the creek comes in is pretty sweet bass and pike fishing, but surprisingly the lilly pad bed at the south end of the lake hasn't given me much luck. Still going to try though. I'll have all week.

E: Also notable, while wading on the beach at the resort several years ago I was just chilling in the water and had a fuckin sunfish bite my nipple.

I would bring a handheld depth finder. I would also start at the tip of that penis shaped point in the middle of the lake and let the wind push me. If it’s blowing west to east, start in 30’ of water and drift towards shore while vertically jigging a minnow close to the bottom. Stop when you get down to 10’ and motor back out for another drift. Repeat a couple times and note how deep the fish are. Then anchor on that depth and just jig there.

You can also try wade fishing by the inflowing stream. Fan cast a plastic grub or beetlespin. Walleyes will be there in the summer.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 3, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sickening posted:

I find that those mega bass dark sleepers at a 1/4 ounce size are super low maintenance , easy to fish, and catch everything that eats to a shocking degree. That on a spinning rod is what I recommend.

I may have to pick up some of these with my Covid convalescence retail therapy spending spree.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm from Michigan which is like the cousin that Canada secretly makes out with in the campground bathroom at the family reunion and the majority of walleye that I've caught were on large live minnows or a good old- fashioned red and white dardevle

E: also leeches

titties fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 3, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Red and white daredevils? That's like crack for pike up here, but never heard of them for walleye before.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Caught my new best ever channel cat yesterday! 8 lbs, 26". I was bouncing a 1 oz jighead + whole crawler around in some current at my local river spot. The cat absolutely SMASHED my bait and rose straight to the surface giving a nice loud beavertail slap. That thing pulled drag like an absolute monster on my lighter casting rig. Definitely the best fight I've felt since fishing Puget sound kings. Was cackling to myself like a madman the whole time, such an adrenaline rush hooking into something bigger than you expect. By the time I had it pulled onto shore, the snap had popped open and my jighead was bent at like a 30 degree angle.

3lbs of delicious fillets

and a bonus 19-incher from a couple weeks ago at the same spot

also, i'm test driving some hobie pedal yaks tonight :getin:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Caught my new best ever channel cat yesterday! 8 lbs, 26". I was bouncing a 1 oz jighead + whole crawler around in some current at my local river spot. The cat absolutely SMASHED my bait and rose straight to the surface giving a nice loud beavertail slap. That thing pulled drag like an absolute monster on my lighter casting rig. Definitely the best fight I've felt since fishing Puget sound kings. Was cackling to myself like a madman the whole time, such an adrenaline rush hooking into something bigger than you expect. By the time I had it pulled onto shore, the snap had popped open and my jighead was bent at like a 30 degree angle.

3lbs of delicious fillets

and a bonus 19-incher from a couple weeks ago at the same spot

also, i'm test driving some hobie pedal yaks tonight :getin:

Channel cats are a tasty fish. The best of the catfish. And its great because they can't get so big (usually) that they start to taste worse, unlike their blue/flathead cousins.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Red and white daredevils? That's like crack for pike up here, but never heard of them for walleye before.

Like hot cocoa said:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i've fished all over this province and though i'm normally a river fisherman, when i go up to kawarthas/bancroft i fish the lakes, and almost every walleye i've ever pulled out of the water has been on a big spinner or spoon. when it's cool and overcast (spring and fall), jigging with local bait shop minnows works well too but this'll pull everything in the lake

Spoons and spinners will entice or piss off most predator fish, but just like using minnows you may have many takers.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Not sure I’d keep an 8# catfish, but nice catch!

That smaller one is prime keeper size tho.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Trip Report: Cedros Island

So, if you all are in the Discord channel you're probably sick of me talking about Cedros lol. Just thought I'd drop a report up here for those that aren't in the Discord and for those that are but also wanna see some pics and stuff that I haven't (or probably have) posted already.

Day 1:
Getting here is extremely easy when you go with Cedros Sportfishing. You meet up with Rosie (she owns the company with her husband Jeff) at CBX (Cross Border Express) down at the San Diego/Tijuana border. She's waiting for you with a packet with your Mexican fishing license, your boarding pass, and your immigration paperwork. She gives you a brief rundown on what your experience is going to be like going through the border and then takes your beer orders. She walks you through CBX and hands you off to her one of her workers that works in the airport there who will escort you and your group until you get on the airplane.

Here's the plane you fly on. I'm not a huge fan of flying, but it really was a pretty nice flight going over.

It's quite cramped in here with 12 people and probably 30+ rods.

We make it up in the air after a smooth takeoff and get to enjoy the view of TJ.

About 2 hours later around 1 PM you land in what's more or less a dirt field and are greeted by Richard and a cooler full of ice cold beer and soda. Richard speaks English and manages the lodge, he gets you whatever you need and makes sure everything runs smoothly. He's a super cool guy.

After you crush a beer or two, you get in a van for a short drive over to the lodge.

The accommodations are modest, but they're good enough. You're not here to relax and be pampered, you're here to KILL FISH!!!

The rooms have AC and a fan, so they're pretty comfortable. The beds... eh, they're not the best but after 10 hours of hard fishing you sleep well anyways.

For an extra $60 bucks, you can fish the first day you get there (about a 4 or 5 hour session). I headed out with my friend Mark, his buddy Chuck, and captain Martín. We had fun but didn't catch anything worth of a picture. We got maybe 10-15 calico bass along with a handful of barracuda and bonito.

After many cold beers and some tasty carne asada, we go to bed to prepare for...

Day 2:

Mark and Chuck head off with captain Martín, I head out with captain Joel and my new friend Elmer. We make bait right outside the harbor and then head to the fishing grounds. Elmer quickly starts to hook up on some surface iron yellowtail while I try to teach myself how to cast a conventional reel. I eventually do hook up with my first surface iron fish, a smedium sized yellowtail.

Elmer is at probably 7 yellowtail by this point... so he hands off the next fish he hooks to me. I graciously take it and haul that bad boy in. It's crazy how hard these things can pull! Check out that bend.

We drive around some more, looking for fish. I don't get anymore, but I did get splashed by a dolphin while I was putting on some sunscreen which was pretty funny. I also saw a shark getting harassed by a bunch of small yellowtail, also very cool. No pics unfortunately. We finished the afternoon by going after some black sea bass. These fish are quite illegal to catch in the US so I will not confirm whether or not we got any. Maybe we did... maybe we didn't. Don't ask don't tell! We wrap it up around 3:30 and come back in to a delicious snack plate of rolled tacos followed by a dinner of yellowtail albondigas and a enchilada + tostada.

Day 3:
Okay, this morning we do not stop to make bait we just jam right over to where the yellowtail are. Today I'm doing much better with the casting and I manage to catch my biggest yellowtail of the trip! Weighed in at 27 lbs.

It blessed my toes with it's blood. I did not wash it off until later that night.

Shortly after that fish, we made a move over to a new zone and the calico were boiling all over the place. This is what I came here for. I put the surface iron away and grabbed my calico rod and started stickin it to them, the smile on my face was absolutely gargantuan when I landed this big boy. I'd guess it was 6-7 lbs, it was quite heavy. These fish grow really slow, it was probably 20+ years old at this point.

We stick around for a while catching calicos and big barracuda and then go after some more yellowtail. I tie on a new jig and WHAM! I'm hooked up! Fight it all the way to the boat and then I see the dreaded sea lion surface next to us. Next thing I know my line is peeling off at an unstoppable rate. We chase down the sea lion while I'm pulling with all my might but I just can't get the fish out of it's mouth. This is all I was left with, at least I kept my jig!

We go and fish for some more black sea bass but we either do or do not get lucky. Exhausted from our day, we head in around 3:30 and are greeted by a plate of yellowtail ceviche followed by yellowtail fish tacos. It was an extremely good day.

Day 4: Okay, I'm getting the hang of this now. We jam out to the yellowtail grounds and I'm hooked up!!! Except it was all you can catch bonito and barracuda. We get over it fairly quickly and move on looking for yellowtail. Oh boy did we find them. Elmer and I got 10 between us in about 2 hours. He got 7, I got 3. I still had some strength left though and I wanted moooooooooore, so we asked captain Joel if he wanted to take some yellowtail home. "Si si! Tres por favor". Back at it, I get 3 more and I get my very first limit of yellowtail. I have a grisly tradition of taking blood smear trophies from significant fishing events and put a nice smear of blood on my white shirt. We decide we want to get some halibut, so we head over to the halibut area. Not long after I drop down a mackerel I'm greeted by an almost imperceptible bite which turned into this delicious chunk of meat. You can see my yellowtail blood souvenir.

I got one more halibut that was much smaller and a chunky sheepshead which also went into the fish hold. I'm feeling awesome and fulfilled, and the sun is beating down so we decide to head in. We get back to the dock and one of the other groups got into a good halibut bite too (literally, lol). Some of the halibut they caught were still alive (they take forever to die) and bit one of the guys when he was taking a pic with it. It was hilarious, and also not hilarious. But mostly hilarious. He was fine, he just bled pretty good for a bit there.

Back to the lodge for more cold beer, yellowtail sashimi, and a dinner of posole + fried yellowtail. I go to bed happy as a clam.

Day 5: Our last day of fishing. After day 1 I was questioning how I was going to make it 4 more. After day 2 I was worn out, sore, and I wanted to go home. The morning of day 3 and day 4 I was ready to kill some more fish, lol. Day 5 I was ready for whatever the day threw at me. We started off going after yellowtail, but found nothing but barracuda. We moved and then ended up at a spot that was just exploding with calico bass. I probably caught about 30 on our first stop, this was a very common grade of calico. These guys pull super hard, they're one of my all time favorite fish to catch.

After we finish up with the calico we decide we want to get a big yellowtail to end the day, so we start trolling big mackerel behind the boat. My clicker goes off on my 60-100 LB rod and I put that baby in gear and reel into it (circle hook). I'm hooked into what feels like an absolute monster of a yellowtail. I keep the line tight, I do everything I'm supposed to do, but it popped off after about 20-30 seconds. I was haunted by it all day, but whatever. That's fishing!

We move, find another spot with calico going nuts and I start throwing 5 inch swimbaits around. WHAM! My drag starts to scream and I'm on a yellowtail. I get it in after it kicked my butt a bit and see that it bent the hook on this Warbaits jig head, these things have hefty hooks. These fish are mean.

Back to trolling for yellowtail, we really want that big one today to end it in style. We hook up on a few, nothing of size though. In come the sea lions.... Captain Joel hooked one and got to enjoy himself for a couple minutes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j6AorD9R9ZvNkXp4txb-mi3XqqKQVs_e/view?usp=sharing

Elmer really wants to get a halibut, so we start bottom fishing again. The current is absolutely ripping and I can't keep a bait down at the bottom even with 16oz of lead on there. I get irritated and decide to bring my line in and I feel weight on there, not sure what it is but I'm guessing it's kelp or a rock. NOPE! It was a yellowtail. Imgur won't let me do a 60+ second video so here's a Google link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ldlXxEZOwUbm377EH1_HuQ27dkctS5bo/view?usp=sharing

Great way to end the trip. Here's some more random stuff.

There are bait balls everywhere you go. There is so much bait in the water it looks and sounds like it's raining.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I_qfZ10-6JPi4thf5uSP0h_PMAbWTZu0/view?usp=sharing

The two industries on the island are salt mining and fishing, here's a pic of a salt mountain.

The patio where you can hang out at night:

Where you eat dinner:

The view of the harbor at night from the lodge:

When you get to the harbor in the morning, all the captains are waiting for you in their pangas. Your gear is already on the boat along with an ice chest full of snacks, lunch, beer, and water.

All of the islands supplies come in via barges. This one was dropping off gas for the boats/cars.

There are wild dogs all over the island. They've all got short legs because they're inbred or something.

The Cedros Island airport:

The check in counter:

Here's the food court:

And here's all of the meat I brought home with me:

joem83 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 4, 2022

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Holy balls, thanks for posting that, it looks absolutely incredible!!

I need to look into a trip like that. Do they gear down there for you to use also?

No pics of the barracuda? I’d love to catch some of those someday, cause I love northern pike fishing g and they just seem like a pike’s more bad rear end uncle or something.

Are they just considered trash fish down there? Or is catching them just an indicator that you’re not going to get onto the yellowtail or calico?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Beautiful pics. Thanks for painting a picture of the whole experience. Fishing all day and partying all night out on that deck seems like the stuff of dreams. Well done.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

DoctaFun posted:

Are they just considered trash fish down there? Or is catching them just an indicator that you’re not going to get onto the yellowtail or calico?

I assume they waste time ruining rigs and breaking off hardware, plus you can catch them plenty of places that aren’t a fly-in charter trip.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Holy balls, thanks for posting that, it looks absolutely incredible!!

I need to look into a trip like that. Do they gear down there for you to use also?

No pics of the barracuda? I’d love to catch some of those someday, cause I love northern pike fishing g and they just seem like a pike’s more bad rear end uncle or something.

Some of the outfitters do, and I saw that they had a few rods in the storage room there, but they didn't really offer it up. I think just about everyone who goes has their own stuff. As for the barracuda, they love em for ceviche down there! They're more of like an unwanted bycatch than a trash fish. They're slimy and smelly and they rip up your lures, lol. They're definitely fun to hook, but most of the time when I saw that it was a cuda on the end of my line I'd let it go slack and gently pop the rod hoping my jig would fall out of it's mouth.

the yeti posted:

I assume they waste time ruining rigs and breaking off hardware, plus you can catch them plenty of places that aren’t a fly-in charter trip.

Yup! My boat partner Elmer lost several jigs to them, including one of his tried and true jigs. The cuda came up, swiped at it and snipped the line right off.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Beautiful pics. Thanks for painting a picture of the whole experience. Fishing all day and partying all night out on that deck seems like the stuff of dreams. Well done.

It really is an absolutely amazing experience. I'm gonna go again next summer after I finish eating all of this fish :D One of our fellow goons, Oni, is gonna be coming with his partner.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

This was the biggest yellowtail caught on the trip, by my buddy Mark. 40lb fish caught on a 10 foot jig stick. He said he spent the whole time with the rod pinned to the rail, bent basically under the boat. Long rods = hard fights on big fish.

Another bonus pic, this old salty dog caught what was estimated as a 250lb black sea bass. They said it looked like a small submarine when he finally got it up after an hour and a half fight. He dropped a mackerel down on a sinker rig, WHAM, fish on. 40 lb test!! Luckily they were able to revive it and get it to swim back down, they wouldn't have been able to get it in the boat had it died from the fight.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

quote:

So, if you all are in the Discord channel you're probably sick of me talking about Cedros lol
Absolutely not sick of your posts in Discord. :justpost:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Oh that’s uhhh different to an east coast black sea bass huh :stare:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

the yeti posted:

Oh that’s uhhh different to an east coast black sea bass huh :stare:

Oh yes, haha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_sea_bass

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Only critically endangered according to that Wikipedia article too. I uhh.. would not be too happy if I caught one of those and it died!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
That’s like moved quite high on my bucket list trip and I’ve never even thought about catching yellowtail or calico.

Top spot for me currently is a trip to frontier lodge on great slave lake for lake trout, pike, and arctic grayling fishing.

But dang, that trip is line half the price and the weather is guaranteed to be way better lol.

Still want to try flats fishing for bonefish as well.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Math You posted:

Only critically endangered according to that Wikipedia article too. I uhh.. would not be too happy if I caught one of those and it died!

I'm curious about the population numbers down in Mexico, seemed like if you knew the right spot they were pretty easy to catch. People on the West Coast hit em SUPER hard back in the day, I'm glad they're sort of making a comeback. They get caught every once in a while in San Diego. The only time they keep them is when they're an unintentional by-catch that was impossible to revive. It's like garibaldi levels of illegal though, so don't even post pics or else they gonna getcha.

DoctaFun posted:

That’s like moved quite high on my bucket list trip and I’ve never even thought about catching yellowtail or calico.

Top spot for me currently is a trip to frontier lodge on great slave lake for lake trout, pike, and arctic grayling fishing.

But dang, that trip is line half the price and the weather is guaranteed to be way better lol.

Still want to try flats fishing for bonefish as well.

The calico are just the absolute best, they bite all kinds of poo poo (I told my dude Elmer to tie on a whopper plopper and he hooked a few, lol) and they fight hard. They grow very very slow though, like, a massive 10 lb calico is probably 30+ years old. The massive amount of bait down in Cedros + the panga captain's reluctance to harvest them results in a world class calico fishery. Meanwhile, in San Diego, the sport boats harvest as many as possible to boost their catch counts to generate more business. In SD you get a keeper every like, 5 fish. In Cedros, you get an undersized one every 10th.

I would highly recommend the trip for anyone who enjoys saltwater fishing, especially in the middle of summer. I heard early in the year (May/early June) it's not wide open bonkers fishing, and also that it slows down again in September/October but that's when you're more likely to get the 40+ lb yellowtail. The sticker price on the trip I took ($2800) is slightly misleading though. You need to bring at least $500 in gratuity money and extra if you wanna drink beer there. If you don't have the tackle for the trip you're gonna have to shell out on that front too (I spent a lot gearing up, but I bought/brought too much). It's worth the money though.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 5, 2022

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

joem83 posted:

I'm curious about the population numbers down in Mexico, seemed like if you knew the right spot they were pretty easy to catch. People on the West Coast hit em SUPER hard back in the day, I'm glad they're sort of making a comeback. They get caught every once in a while in San Diego. The only time they keep them is when they're an unintentional by-catch that was impossible to revive. It's like garibaldi levels of illegal though, so don't even post pics or else they gonna getcha.

The calico are just the absolute best, they bite all kinds of poo poo (I told my dude Elmer to tie on a whopper plopper and he hooked a few, lol) and they fight hard. They grow very very slow though, like, a massive 10 lb calico is probably 30+ years old. The massive amount of bait down in Cedros + the panga captain's reluctance to harvest them results in a world class calico fishery. Meanwhile, in San Diego, the sport boats harvest as many as possible to boost their catch counts to generate more business. In SD you get a keeper every like, 5 fish. In Cedros, you get an undersized one every 10th.

I would highly recommend the trip for anyone who enjoys saltwater fishing, especially in the middle of summer. I heard early in the year (May/early June) it's not wide open bonkers fishing, and also that it slows down again in September/October but that's when you're more likely to get the 40+ lb yellowtail. The sticker price on the trip I took ($2800) is slightly misleading though. You need to bring at least $500 in gratuity money and extra if you wanna drink beer there. If you don't have the tackle for the trip you're gonna have to shell out on that front too (I spent a lot gearing up, but I bought/brought too much). It's worth the money though.

Looks like you brought an S-ton of fish back, which is awesome. What are the daily/possession limits for yellowtail and halibut?

And do you keep the calico or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Looks like you brought an S-ton of fish back, which is awesome. What are the daily/possession limits for yellowtail and halibut?

And do you keep the calico or not?

Yellowtail is 5 per day, I'm not sure on the halibut but I think it's 5 as well. We never got more than 2 each day though.

I have kept calico here in San Diego, but they frown upon it down at Cedros. I told my captain I wanted a massive calico and he gave me a look and asked "to keep?", I assured him no.

It's good meat, firm and white. I like to fry it up like chicken katsu.