Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Whoa! 60fps right!? :negative:

lol 40 locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

lol 40 locked

if we’re lucky.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Isn't the iFixit method just waving a heatgun over it while trying to shim it out from the underside? Seems pretty straightforward, if annoying.

Yeah, I'm just wondering if being able to tightly focus the heat would allow the glue to soften quicker compared to a heat gun, which has a relatively wide area of heat and takes a longer time and heats up all kinds of poo poo that you don't need heated . Think of a .22 compared to a shotgun with no choke.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I'm just wondering if being able to tightly focus the heat would allow the glue to soften quicker compared to a heat gun, which has a relatively wide area of heat and takes a longer time and heats up all kinds of poo poo that you don't need heated . Think of a .22 compared to a shotgun with no choke.

Please read the warnings in the iFixIt guide saying the battery may explode if you do something like this

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, I wasn't going to go crazy with the heat, my station will hold temps down to like 175F.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Steam Deck Get! Downloading the games and what not. Boy this little thing pumps out some heat eh? The fans definitely a little louder than I expected with it just downloading things but not too bad considering all the complaints, we'll see after it's under a heavy load.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still cannot believe that people think having to solder anything is considered beginner-tier difficulty

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Mr Phillby posted:

Worked! I had already gone through installation via Lutris, just downloading the latest proton and running through steam worked wonders! Working out where the install was in the file system took the longest time. Old game needs some tweaking and messing around with, but I'm so happy right now this rules

Thanks again!
On further investigation Might And Magic 6 now runs really well except half the buttons only work in the menus, rendering it unplayable. Did a fresh install, same issue. Some guy on reddit seems to have gotten around the issue using a Lutris install but I'm not sure what they did different to my first install.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jokes posted:

I still cannot believe that people think having to solder anything is considered beginner-tier difficulty
That kind of soldering is real easy, you just touch the hot thing to the metal until it melts, its almost impossible to gently caress up. It doesn't even have to be a particularly good solder joint.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

jokes posted:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh this will actually be my first soldering project ever when I get the sticks in

Is there a good recommendation for a small, easily portable soldering kit? I don’t want a big setup

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

tbh this will actually be my first soldering project ever when I get the sticks in

Is there a good recommendation for a small, easily portable soldering kit? I don’t want a big setup

I couldn’t find my iron so I bought the most simple cheapest 60w one they had at the hardware store around the corner. I also bought solder but it turns out you don’t need any, the sticks come with solder pads pre applied, all you need to do is melt them with one hand and touch it with the wire with your other hand. Job done. The most complicated part was actually the software calibration, shoot me a PM if you can’t figure it out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I do actually want something decent to start with since I’ve always planned to learn soldering to do basic repairs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Any $10-20 iron you pick up on Amazon or heck, a hardware store or whatever, is going to be functionally the same for this kind of thing or any home repair type work, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The kit has a pre tinned solder pad but wouldn't hurt buying a little bit of (lead imo) solder also. You only need to actually worry about what you're buying if you're doing harder delicate circuit board work.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I modded my Wii back in the day with barely any experience and a $10 iron from radio shack. Worked just fine and that had some small and close together solder points.

Just need a steady hand

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm trying to get a bunch of Roms and BIOS files onto the Steam Deck's microSD card.

I have a desktop PC (ethernet cable, to my rouiter), but it has no wifi card or anything.

I don't have any kind of USB hub for the Steam Deck. I also don't have a USB drive to throw stuff on (and a USB-A to C cable).

Any idea how I can get this stuff over? If I had a wireless card on my desktop I'd just use Winpinator/Warpinator but that doesn't seem to be an option for me...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Can you get them to your phone and then FTP to the deck?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chinook posted:

I'm trying to get a bunch of Roms and BIOS files onto the Steam Deck's microSD card.

I have a desktop PC (ethernet cable, to my rouiter), but it has no wifi card or anything.

I don't have any kind of USB hub for the Steam Deck. I also don't have a USB drive to throw stuff on (and a USB-A to C cable).

Any idea how I can get this stuff over? If I had a wireless card on my desktop I'd just use Winpinator/Warpinator but that doesn't seem to be an option for me...
As long as the wifi is on the same network as the ethernet it shouldn't matter. I don't use Warpinator though so idk how that works. I just boot into Desktop mode, type "sudo systemctl start sshd" into the terminal (you'll have to set a password with passwd first if you have not done that), and connect to the deck with Filezilla via SFTP. Continues running in gaming mode and everything until you fully shut down the Steam Deck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

homeless snail posted:

As long as the wifi is on the same network as the ethernet it shouldn't matter. I don't use Warpinator though so idk how that works. I just boot into Desktop mode, type "sudo systemctl start sshd" into the terminal (you'll have to set a password with passwd first if you have not done that), and connect to the deck with Filezilla via SFTP. Continues running in gaming mode and everything until you fully shut down the Steam Deck.

This is the way I do it, but with “enable” instead of “start” so I don’t have to start it manually every time.

If you want to use the SD card in Windows you have to do a bunch of bullshit or get a program like Linux Files Systems to easily mount ext4 drives. I did the latter yesterday to switch SD cards and it worked fine. There’s a 10 day trial.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 4, 2022

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks all. That should get me sorted.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Chinook posted:

Like snail said, you don't need a wireless adapter on your PC. Just open Winpinator, go to preferences, and change the adapter from automatic to the same adapter your ethernet cable is plugged into. Automatic works for some people, I guess, but I had to manually change it to get the Deck to show up in the list as Online. Changed the adapter prefs in Warpinator on the Deck to wlan0 too. As long as it is the same home network, it is fine.

From there, it is simply a matter of transferring the files or folders and then moving them to the proper directories.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

Any $10-20 iron you pick up on Amazon or heck, a hardware store or whatever, is going to be functionally the same for this kind of thing or any home repair type work, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The kit has a pre tinned solder pad but wouldn't hurt buying a little bit of (lead imo) solder also. You only need to actually worry about what you're buying if you're doing harder delicate circuit board work.

ehhhhh

"Home repair" in the sense of soldering your pipes or whatever, sure, but if you're thinkering with existing tech you almost guaranteed need to get something that can variable-temperature to the 700-750 range, you can't guarantee whatever existing solder is in your tech is going to have a conveniently low melting point

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

I guess my concern would be if you actually do need it to be diffused over the entire battery to get it out? Like it looks like the adhesive is over the whole back of the battery, so you might be quicker in getting it off of an edge, but you can't really soften the middle very well if you have concentrated heat.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

ehhhhh

"Home repair" in the sense of soldering your pipes or whatever, sure, but if you're thinkering with existing tech you almost guaranteed need to get something that can variable-temperature to the 700-750 range, you can't guarantee whatever existing solder is in your tech is going to have a conveniently low melting point
I mean like, splicing lamp cords and simple wire and through hole repairs. Most people do not need a Hakko.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ehhhhh

For the Deck joysticks I just got the janky looking $15 thing that looked like it sat in the hardware store for 20 years. Worked just fine.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Say, I just noticed something - the new case I got with my replacement Steam Deck has white zippers, where the original ones were definitely black. Not sure if it signifies a replacement unit or just supplier variation

(Edit: I have a 512GB unit)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Snackmar posted:

Say, I just noticed something - the new case I got with my replacement Steam Deck has white zippers, where the original ones were definitely black. Not sure if it signifies a replacement unit or just supplier variation

lol crack open the deck to find a golden ticket to visit gaben

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Snackmar posted:

Did you get a 512GB model? The case for the top model has the white zippers, colored Steam Deck logo, and white fabric on the inside, where the 64/256 cases are black/white/black

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Snackmar posted:

That looks like my Deck case, and I bought a 512. IIRC the 512 units were advertised as coming with a "premium" carrying case.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

homeless snail posted:

Did you get a 512GB model? The case for the top model has the white zippers, colored Steam Deck logo, and white fabric on the inside, where the 64/256 cases are black/white/black

Yeah, 512GB for both my original and this replacement.. They must've sent the wrong case the first time

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Snackmar posted:

Yeah, 512GB for both my original and this replacement.. They must've sent the wrong case the first time

You now have the special edition case so you can lord it over the other nerds in the bus, right before you get mugged

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Snackmar posted:

lol a lock hole

*takes knife to edge of zipper*

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

I mean like, splicing lamp cords and simple wire and through hole repairs. Most people do not need a Hakko.

Animal posted:

For the Deck joysticks I just got the janky looking $15 thing that looked like it sat in the hardware store for 20 years. Worked just fine.

yeah I know I just mean if you're in this forum sticking joysticks to your steam deck that might not be the only desoldering you're doing

the literal first soldering project I did involved a pokemon game battery and the $20 ace hardware pipe soldering thing wasn't up to even that task

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

yeah I know I just mean if you're in this forum sticking joysticks to your steam deck that might not be the only desoldering you're doing

the literal first soldering project I did involved a pokemon game battery and the $20 ace hardware pipe soldering thing wasn't up to even that task

True, and I really need to finally get my poo poo together and learn how to properly solder with a good kit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I've got a few games from Prime Gaming, what's the process for getting them onto this thing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I've seen some reports like this that suggest this might not quite be the holy grail of stick technology. Maybe it's a quality issue:
    [...] the analogue sticks lose effective range after a short while of use. Both sticks will do this which makes it even more amazing that nobody has ever brought this up in review. It's not by much, a few percent from the top right and bottom on my left stick and the right side on my right stick. It's just enough for most games to register walking. I can fix it temporarily by pressing in the sticks, but it only takes another 10-30 minutes before I have to do it again.
comment from this video

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I've seen some reports like this that suggest this might not quite be the holy grail of stick technology. Maybe it's a quality issue:
    [...] the analogue sticks lose effective range after a short while of use. Both sticks will do this which makes it even more amazing that nobody has ever brought this up in review. It's not by much, a few percent from the top right and bottom on my left stick and the right side on my right stick. It's just enough for most games to register walking. I can fix it temporarily by pressing in the sticks, but it only takes another 10-30 minutes before I have to do it again.
comment from this video

I guess I’ll be the thread guinea pig. If they turn out to be shoddy I’ll just pop the old ones back in and wait for a better product.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

soldering is not hard and doing one wire on each stick is about the easiest possible "baby's first soldering job" that you could ask for.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

At this point I spend more time getting games loaded in and the configurations set juuuuuuust right than actually playing games. Not for any bad reason but because the novelty of being able to play a game on the go is more valuable to me than actually playing the game I guess.

Vampire Survivors has probably claimed 80% of my deck time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Snackmar posted:

Mine came in that same case when I got it a few months back, so I dunno.