Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I’ve looked into this poo poo previously, and all the pelosi squawking has been from alt-right morons who don’t understand timelines. If you can manage to put together a coherent timeline, I’d be interested to see it.

Yeah like - not to be a real drag here but - unless Mr. Pelosi somehow took A Small Loss ahead of the vote as opposed to An Enormous Loss had he executed those transactions after it, I'm kinda bored by the whole thing. I thought there was something spicy going on there but if so, it's several layers deeper than I'm capable of comprehending :(

Which makes me sad, because dunking on anything with a surname of Pelosi is supposed to bring me great joy, but this is . . . not :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/ewong/status/1555032704399417346?s=21&t=uspwAWDjY5onpn8gD9TIzg

Apparently the CCP knew way ahead of time

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Does this mean all their consternation is performative?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zarin posted:

Maybe some of it? Maybe not? I don’t know nearly enough to give analysis here

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I’ve looked into this poo poo previously, and all the pelosi squawking has been from alt-right morons who don’t understand timelines. If you can manage to put together a coherent timeline, I’d be interested to see it.

Is The Hill an alt-right site? I just typed it into google and posted the first result :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The report is not about making China look bad; it’s about distancing the Biden administration from Pelosi’s decision. They really want to avoid a war here.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Zarin posted:

I realize this isn't the Guns or Trades or Czech Republic thread but I'm still really interested to know more :allears:

Guns that were hilariously out of spec and unsafe to shoot. Ammo that was basically just shoved into a shipping container from some army warehouse and was a mixed bag (mostly what we ordered). We got some refunds but mostly shafted. It was all the owner who was lazy and KNEW the way poo poo works but just was more interested in going to China and having a good time. Czech Republic made quality stuff but wasn't infallible. Had some shipments of old ammo which turned out to be partially bad, but you roll your dice with milsurp ammo from any supplier. Their guns were always good. Switzerland is Switzerland, high quality with lots of red tape.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I'm talking about importations of thousands of guns and millions of rounds of ammo for reference.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

McGavin posted:

Gonna need you to post a conference attendee pass before I believe anything you say.

Sorry, I don't post in CSPAM

Edit: I actually have some SHOT Show passes somewhere, but that was more of a booze and schmooze than anything else. Like I said, the US was a mixed bag. Very very corporate. All the milsurp deals we made were done by my boss in China or at IWA.

mikerock fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 4, 2022

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mikerock posted:

I'm talking about importations of thousands of guns and millions of rounds of ammo for reference.

Ah I figured! Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

thetoughestbean posted:

Maybe some of it? Maybe not? I don’t know nearly enough to give analysis here

Maybe I'm just overly cynical here, but I feel like anything that happens on the geopolitical stage has been telegraphed well beforehand, either in front or backchannels.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zarin posted:

It always is. Throwing giant pissbaby tantrums is China's thing and it gets them results a lot of the time, unfortunately.

They're also right in the middle of throwing a shitfit about Japan so it's a busy month.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
China cares a lot more than the rest of us that Pelosi, second-in-line and the most senior official to visit, landed safely when the greatest conspiracy on the face of the planet was stymied because AJ was in court or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is The Hill an alt-right site? I just typed it into google and posted the first result :shrug:

they definitely lean right. that might be putting it too generously, but i haven't kept up with them. they were pretty bad during the trump years.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

mikerock posted:

Guns that were hilariously out of spec and unsafe to shoot. Ammo that was basically just shoved into a shipping container from some army warehouse and was a mixed bag (mostly what we ordered). We got some refunds but mostly shafted. It was all the owner who was lazy and KNEW the way poo poo works but just was more interested in going to China and having a good time. Czech Republic made quality stuff but wasn't infallible. Had some shipments of old ammo which turned out to be partially bad, but you roll your dice with milsurp ammo from any supplier. Their guns were always good. Switzerland is Switzerland, high quality with lots of red tape.

I remember your 550 threads from back when, long time see eh? Thanks for the reminder. This started with the video showing the keyholing barrel from 5m away and you understand why I thought that was incredible, afterall norinco sells tons in Canada commercially and this doesn't compute. Oh well.
The old maxim is Chinese manufacture is good when they want it to be, whenever that is

Adding to the other thing. The european standard good quality industrial manufactureTM countries would be Czechia, Switzerland, Austria, (sometimes and, northern) Italy, Germany, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark.
It's a gamble with France and the balkans.
I'd include Norway but I don't want to.

E. FN is FN and not representative for Belgian manufacturing.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 4, 2022

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Seth Pecksniff posted:

What has China actually done in retaliation for Pelosi's visit, besides move military assets that can't swim to the strait?

They've sternly told the Brits not to do exactly the same thing, lest we get burned by the same fire we would be playing with.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Between Russia v Ukraine and now Serbia mixing it up why not stir some poo poo?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I purchased two Norinco lever action .22s in Atlantic Canada for my Dad and I years ago. Nominally identical guns purchased new, same model and everything. His was perfectly fine, tolerable fit and finish but a fairly smooth action that got better with use. Mine featured a canted rear sight from the dovetail being cut at a strange angle and the lever felt like it had gravel inside. When I took the thing apart, it was packed with thick grease and metal shavings. The fit between wood and metal parts was similarly rough and the stock came new from the factory with chips in the wood. Similarly, I bought three spam cans of 5.56mm surplus that was Norinco-made because it was far and away the cheapest 5.56mm ammo to be found. In my instance, across 2400 rounds I had a whopping three duds-- far and away better than a bulk pack of Winchester white box in the same calibre that had about a 10% dud rate, and way better than some godawful Russian made dogshit 5.56mm that would not chamber at all. Friends of mine also purchased that Norinco 5.56mm and had a totally different experience: total junk ammo that had issues cycling, extra thick primers that were resistant to going off, some rounds that were apparently devoid of a powder charge, you name it. In neither case was it particularly accurate, but at the time it at least ran fine out of my AR-15 (RIP). While some Norinco-made guns have a decent reputation in Canada (chiefly their 1911s, but I maintain that that is mainly because the 1911 is such a solid design that you actively have to try to gently caress it up), you will find that the reputation of a lot of Norinco and other Chinese-made firearms have a mixed at best reputation up here so I can easily believe what MikeRock is saying.

So while I could see those PRC hype videos being the result of CQB ammo being used, I could also see the PLA being in for some extremely rude shocks when it turns out that a lot of their war stocks are unreliable trash that were accumulated more as an exercise in meeting quotas than preparing vital strategic supplies of critical materiel. If countries like the UK or Germany can manage to badly gently caress up the adoption of a new rifle (what's the common element between those two programs hmmm....) it seems entirely plausible that the PRC could as well, especially if it is going through crash arms production programs in a panic because of what it is observing in the war in Ukraine.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Yes but the pivotal point there being inconsistency as opposed to russian guarantee. Lack of effort vs. loss of ability.

And you can't use the UK for any comparison since the common element in any and all British failures is Britain.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Zarin posted:

The CCP chucking a performative tantrum? Over Taiwan?

Such a thing is unpossible.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I haven't posted or read the China thread for years at this point. And while I am well familiar with the CCP's impotent tantrums, especially regarding Taiwan, I do have to admit feeling uneasy this time. Maybe it's the effect the Ukraine-war has on me. I don't think China will escalate beyond a tantrum, but that's also what I thought about Russia.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zarin posted:

more than Shen-Yun my friend

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

fish and chips and dip posted:

I haven't posted or read the China thread for years at this point. And while I am well familiar with the CCP's impotent tantrums, especially regarding Taiwan, I do have to admit feeling uneasy this time. Maybe it's the effect the Ukraine-war has on me. I don't think China will escalate beyond a tantrum, but that's also what I thought about Russia.
no one knows the future

but China is under pressure to show their final form because of how badly poo poo's going for Russia. They still aren't going to cross that line IMO

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
If I remember correctly March/April and September/October are the two windows for an attack on the island.

Outside of those two windows the tides add an additional complexity and raise the bar of difficulty into the 'not worth doing' realm.

Given that his deification and anointing ceremony is scheduled for November, an action in advance of that seems very implausible (because the body bags of 1000s of sole heirs probably won't play into the narrative)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

fish and chips and dip posted:

If anything Russias attempted annexation/subjugation of Ukraine has momentarily cratered Beijing's plans for the same against Taiwan. They've been building up the invasion capacity aggressively for a decade plus at this point - but that was in a world where the US wasn't overtly coordinating the rest of the world to help fight invaders. And more significantly, where the rest of the world didn't heed it.

tl/dr PRC didn't plan for the possibility of Taiwan getting massive international support so things are possibly calmer until they do

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

url posted:

If I remember correctly March/April and September/October are the two windows for an attack on the island.

coincidentally, also the best times to visit taiwan as a tourist

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Zarin posted:

Ah I figured! Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe I'm just overly cynical here, but I feel like anything that happens on the geopolitical stage has been telegraphed well beforehand, either in front or backchannels.

It's well known that JCOS Chair Miley was in pretty regular contact with his Chinese counterpart leading up to this, so yeah you ain't wrong

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Pretty amazing to see people shouting that China must murder Pelosi and then punish the US for the GALL of having a senior congressperson visit a friendly nation.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Kchama posted:

Pretty amazing to see people shouting that China must murder Pelosi and then punish the US for the GALL of having a senior congressperson visit a friendly nation.

What the gently caress did you just call it!?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Hey just wanted to pop in to thank the goons on an earlier page who recommended "Chinese Ghost Story". What a campy movie, watched it with subtitles and enjoyed the film thoroughly. Solid recommendation!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Kchama posted:

Taiwan is WHAT now??

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/JuiceeOranj/status/1554969682721099778?s=20&t=r-3P2dxp8kvwGKNcgod5Yw

lol

double lol for chinese ambassador speaking french

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mikerock posted:

Don't forget that skid of armor-piercing tracer rounds that somehow made it into the country last year. Or were those Russian surplus?

It's crazy that we haven't banned Chinese and Russian imports, but gun control in Canada is almost all about exploiting public ignorance apart from the (quite good) teaching and licensing system.

Fearless posted:

While some Norinco-made guns have a decent reputation in Canada (chiefly their 1911s, but I maintain that that is mainly because the 1911 is such a solid design that you actively have to try to gently caress it up)
I cut myself on my PAL course because their 1911 controls had sharp edges :v:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 4, 2022

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Hey just wanted to pop in to thank the goons on an earlier page who recommended "Chinese Ghost Story". What a campy movie, watched it with subtitles and enjoyed the film thoroughly. Solid recommendation!

gonna throw out a few recommendations along similar lines

https://letterboxd.com/film/mr-vampire/
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-seventh-curse/
https://letterboxd.com/film/encounter-of-the-spooky-kind/
https://letterboxd.com/film/dreadnaught/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pro starcraft loser posted:

I follow the three china policy: Tawian, Hong Kong, and Macau are the only Chinas.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tunicate posted:

I follow the three china policy: Tawian, Hong Kong, and Macau are the only Chinas.
Recognition of the Three Kingdoms

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Tempting fate to watch such films during ghost month!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pro starcraft loser posted:

Friendly island. Source of computer components and much dismay against our true Chinese friends.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Shumagorath posted:

Don't forget that skid of armor-piercing tracer rounds that somehow made it into the country last year. Or were those Russian surplus?

It's crazy that we haven't banned Chinese and Russian imports, but gun control in Canada is almost all about exploiting public ignorance apart from the (quite good) teaching and licensing system.

I cut myself on my PAL course because their 1911 controls had sharp edges :v:

Look at this Toronto elite with his soft, delicate hands :v:

Let me qualify my praise for the Norinco 1911 a bit: they are/were extremely cheap, used a proven design and because the frames were made so well they could be the low-cost foundation for a much, much nicer custom 1911 (that costs as much as a much nicer production 1911 from a company that isn't a state owned extension of the PLA). Other than that, like a lot of other Norinco guns the examples I handled barring one had pretty poor machining and finish, plus what felt like a lot of burrs on internal surfaces that made their actions feel gritty. The one exception was an aforementioned custom that had extensive work done to it, including replacing all of the Norinco-made internals with aftermarket options and extensive attention paid to deburring and polishing all internal surfaces.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 4, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fearless posted:

Look at this Toronto elite with his soft, delicate hands :v:

Let me qualify my praise for the Norinco 1911 a bit: they are/were extremely cheap, used a proven design and because the frames were made so well they could be the low-cost foundation for a much, much nicer custom 1911 (that costs as much as a much nicer production 1911 from a company that isn't a state owned extension of the PLA). Other than that, like a lot of other Norinco guns the examples I handled barring one had pretty poor machining and finish, plus what felt like a lot of burrs on internal surfaces that made their actions feel gritty. The one exception was an aforementioned custom that had extensive work done to it, including replacing all of the Norinco-made internals with aftermarket options and extensive attention paid to deburring and polishing all internal surfaces.
This tracks with a review of Norinco's P226 clone I read back when I first got my license. One third the price of the genuine article, but a trigger that moved and felt like grinding sand.

Speaking of firearms shopping in Canada: I've had to take one particular retailer to task for running ads featuring PLA soldiers (during the Meng & Michaels incident no less), then more recently for shilling QAnon-branded coffee. Like... could they at least be consistently amoral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

What has China actually done in retaliation for Pelosi's visit, besides move military assets that can't swim to the strait?

A newly announced live fire exercise zone that cuts deep into Taiwan territorial water, so far PRC had fired 5 ballistic missiles into these areas.

Import ban on mostly agricultural products, I think China also flew a large military drone over Kinmen island yesterday.

PRC's response so far is somewhat higher than the Third Taiwan Strait Crisis.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 4, 2022