Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Baronash posted:

Some of the recipes I've been looking at have as many as 5 hop additions spread throughout the boil though.

Completely unnecessary, and kind of a holdover from an earlier time. I don't think many breweries doing hoppy styles would waste hops on that these days when they could go in the whirlpool and more importantly dry-hopping.

If you're worried about not getting enough out of your finishing hops you could do a short hop stand, look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Jhet posted:

Those look to be happy ferments. Most of the fruit flavor will be gone after you ferment and it’ll be all sludge. You can get away with repurposing parts of grape must, but that’s the extent of it that I’ve seen.

Back sweetening is something I never do, I’m always certain that it’ll just ferment anyway and I’ll blow things up. Do you use KMS or something to stop the ferment before doing it?

No loss I just wondered.
Never done it before so I was going to follow the standard KMS above, back sweeten to taste then leave a week and recheck SG to confirm its not still fermenting.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I brewed a bitter, 75% Maris Otter, 17.5% Barke Pilsner and 7.5% Crystal 45, mashed at 152f and then fermented using a dry yeast I have never tried before since I could not get the stuff I usually use.

It was Lallemand London ESB, supposedly equivalent to WLP002 and other Fullers isolates. I gave it 10 days at 18-19c and then 2 at 22-23c, but I am not very happy with the attenuation considering it was a pretty low gravity beer. It went from 1.040 to 1.020. I guess I was hoping for closer to 70% rather than 50% attenuation, but now I've kegged it. I'll leave the keg out in room temp for a few more days in the hope that it goes a bit further (and carbonates).

thotsky fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 29, 2022

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Death of Rats posted:

After a couple of test batches, it turns out that 4lbs of strawberry jam can be pretty trivially made into a gallon of strawberry wine. And it's terrifyingly easy to drink.

The latest batch added 4lbs of frozen strawberries in secondary, instead of 2lbs of the jam (in 5 gallons). It was unnecessary, the flavour isn't really improved and its an extra few weeks' fermenting. And jam is cheaper than actual fruit.

Per gallon:
4lbs strawberry jam (or 3:1 strawberry:apricot works well too)
Pectase
EC118 Sparkling wine yeast
Yeast nutrient
1 mug black tea (well steeped, maybe 10 minutes) for tannins
Juice of 1 lemon (for acidity)
Water to fill

Bottling sugar to about 3 atmpspheres

Note:
Yeast and nutrient - read the package and use enough for the gallon.
Pectase - use double. Jam is very full of pectin.

I make my own strawberries, we have a field at our farm and we make tons of jam, might try this. Is it all jam in primary or split between primary/secondary? How sweet is the jam, just regular sweet?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Jhet posted:

How much strawberry flavor sticks in after the ferment? It's so hard to source perfectly ripe and strongly flavored strawberries unless it's June and you get them as near to the farm as possible. Strawberry jam has a ton of extra sugar in it, and it'll be really nice to carry the abv into wine territory. The benefit of it is you get that really ripe strawberry flavor too.

The flavour actually stays quite well. Not sure if this is how it really works, but I think that because the fruit is already cooked, it doesn't have the volatiles of fresh fruit to be blown away by the action of the yeast. And yeah, you don't need to add additional sugar to hit wine abvs.

Gonna try a cherry or blackcurrant version next time, see how it goes.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I make my own strawberries, we have a field at our farm and we make tons of jam, might try this. Is it all jam in primary or split between primary/secondary? How sweet is the jam, just regular sweet?

I just dump it all in primary. You can get away with cheap rear end jam too, no need for the fancy stuff unless you want to - I think it's just regular sweet jam.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 29, 2022

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Brilliant, thanks. Store bought usually contains antifungal preservatives, so I'm gonna go au naturel.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
I'm an idiot and forgot to label my two SMaSH pale ales so dry hopping is gonna be interesting. I can either smell and believe in myself, or hedge my bets and split the two beers into four fermenters and dry hop each base with each hop.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just send it and it'll be the best beer you made.. since you don't know how you did it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Anybody know of a good recipe app for Android? All I need is to be able to enter my malt and hops and it give me IBU, SRM, etc. I don't care about actually storing recipes, I use a physical notebook for that.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Josh Wow posted:

Anybody know of a good recipe app for Android? All I need is to be able to enter my malt and hops and it give me IBU, SRM, etc. I don't care about actually storing recipes, I use a physical notebook for that.

I just started using Brewfather. Their web application and iOS app both work well for me, so I can't imagine the Android app would be any different.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yep Brewfather is exactly like the web on Android. I made the switch awhile ago, only complaint I have is Beersmith had spot on volume numbers whereas Brewfather is a bit off. I used the same numbers between the two so I'm curious where the difference is.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Brewfather is by far the best app out there right now, but like with everything else there's a lot of magic formulas under the hood. I have never gotten close to a setup consistently accurate on any app, but even big breweries brewing huge batches of the same recipe over and over again have to adjust their recipes depending on the raw ingredients they get, so it's a pretty unreasonable thing to expect as a homebrewer.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

thotsky posted:

Completely unnecessary, and kind of a holdover from an earlier time. I don't think many breweries doing hoppy styles would waste hops on that these days when they could go in the whirlpool and more importantly dry-hopping.

If you're worried about not getting enough out of your finishing hops you could do a short hop stand, look into it.

Is there a good journal or source to keep up with this? So much hearsay and unsourced info online.

Bonus fermentipede pic

Two SMaSH pale ales to test out HBCs 472 and 630 which I forgot to label. Fortunately, I sampled them before dry hopping, and it was easy enough to tell them apart. The 472 tasted a little muted but with distinct pine and citrus — orange specifically, which is a little interesting compared to the lemon and grapefruit you usually get from citrusy hops. The 630 is already a berries and cream explosion.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Any preferred wood for making a mash paddle?

Has anyone made one?

Any secrets or tips?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

one piece hardwood and don't treat or coat. just raw wood. only clean it with boiling or very hot water.

i use a big rear end stainless one, personally

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Has anyone made one?

Any secrets or tips?

Something with closed grain. Assuming you're in the US, the easiest/cheapest is likely maple.

There's some debate over whether to oil it or not. Mine isn't oiled, but the business end has definitely gotten chewed up, like a cheap wooden spoon. I'm not particularly worried about hot-side contamination, and my paddle is stored so it can dry, but a coat of mineral oil and beeswax/paraffin (cutting board/salad bowl finish) would keep it in better shape, I'm sure. I'm not too worried about it leeching out and affecting head retention. Just stick to finishes appropriate for food prep or serving and you should be good to go.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Get a big-rear end whisk instead

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Is there a good journal or source to keep up with this? So much hearsay and unsourced info online.

There are journals with some scientific studies done on this kind of stuff; I've kept up with the few who get reposted because they are interesting over the years, but I don't really have them bookmarked or anything anymore. A few pro brewers do post openly about their processes, or at least do so for a certain period of time. The dude from Trillium did so over at BeerAdvocate for a while, and talked a lot about how they first went towards only focusing on whirlpool and dry-hop, and how they had been reducing the former in favor of the latter in recent years. I have heard many others say the same kind of stuff on podcasts and stuff, but yeah, that's anecdotal for sure, I just give those sources more credit than a lot of other ones out there.

One homebrewer who was very on top of this kind of thing in his blog was Scott Janish, he has since gone pro, but pretty recently came out with https://www.amazon.com/New-IPA-Scientific-Guide-Flavor/dp/0578477866 which does collect quite a bit of this stuff. That's probably where I would go if I started looking into this now.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Thanks for the rec, I've ordered a copy and read a few of their blog posts. I noticed that they also authored a review paper for dry-hopping that's open access that might be of interest to some people here.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

SMaSH PA with HBC 630 day four. Seems like it actually lost some of the berries and cream explosion it had going on before dry hopping, though it gained some earthy falvors. Maybe the berry intensity will return after some time off the vegetal matter. Assuming these pale ales turn out well, I'm thinking of doing a Pliny clone next to keep working on the minimizing O2 fermenting in kegs business.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the replies.

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Get a big-rear end whisk instead

Interesting idea

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've heard the bigass 24" whisks are actually better than paddles. There's something cool about a big wooden paddle though, especially if you make it yourself.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

more falafel please posted:

I've heard the bigass 24" whisks are actually better than paddles. There's something cool about a big wooden paddle though, especially if you make it yourself.

They work great. I have a 24" winco whisk I use to mash in and I've never had issues with clumping. It also works nicely to help mix in the hop bubbles when I'm adding to the boil.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Try to get it from a restaurant supply store if you can, they’re like $20 on Amazon and $6 at restaurant supply stores or online ones. I’ve found this to be true for just about all kitchen supplies. I picked up a 12-pack of 5 oz. tulip glasses for sampling and doing blind tastings, do recommend

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I have a stainless steel paint mixer that attaches to a cordless drill. That will get rid of dough balls in 2 seconds. :-D

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Giant whisk is the way to go. If you need something longer for a keggle or similar, it's also cheap to get giant stainless paddles from restaurant supply places.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/fourt-36-perforated-stainless-steel-paddle/483PSMP36.html
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/fourt-48-perforated-stainless-steel-paddle/483PSMP48.html

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Has anyone made one?

Any secrets or tips?
Any of the woods you generally see used for cutting boards. Maple, walnut, cherry, white oak are all good choices.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

While we're on tool chat, what do people use to clean the bottoms of kegs?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I usually just use hot water and PBW, but my Dad attached a new shower scrubby poof to a dowel rod and uses that to manually scrub it. He gave me one in hot pink. :D

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Alarbus posted:

I usually just use hot water and PBW, but my Dad attached a new shower scrubby poof to a dowel rod and uses that to manually scrub it. He gave me one in hot pink. :D

There’s all sorts of ways to over engineer a solution, but this isn’t a bad option. I’d prefer something I know wouldn’t scratch the metal, so pick the scrubber smartly. I have a soft fabric one that I can put in my drill too.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

While we're on tool chat, what do people use to clean the bottoms of kegs?

If something's really cooked on there, I can barely shove my arm down the opening of a standard corny keg and get it with a rag. Usually just hot water and PBW will take care of it, with some shaking and letting it sit and soak.

I bought a Mark II keg washer a while back, and it's nice, but the pump took a poo poo and I didn't use it for a while, and then when I was going to try a new pump with it I couldn't find the sprayer attachment piece. It's somewhere, but gently caress it.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I built this monstrosity for $30’ish. Works a treat.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/matts-keg-and-carboy-washer/

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I need to rack my fruit mead and get the fruit out and I'm having total blank brain on how exactly I'm going to do that, practically. Suggestions? Should I drain it all through a sieve into a big bowl then funnel that into the new demijohn? Should I squeeze the fruit out any?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
When brewing fruited beers I put a hop bag around the end of the autosiphon, say a prayer, and just rack normally.

I tried using a sieve once and it immediately clogged and made a big mess. I just accept the loss from not pressing, because I don't see how I could do that and not get a bunch of yeast and seeds and crap into the next vessel.

The ideal way to reduce waste is probably to immediately rack another beer/mead on the spent fruit.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

tinned owl posted:

I need to rack my fruit mead and get the fruit out and I'm having total blank brain on how exactly I'm going to do that, practically. Suggestions? Should I drain it all through a sieve into a big bowl then funnel that into the new demijohn? Should I squeeze the fruit out any?

I fridge it for a good 4-5 days, which usually settles almost everything on the bottom, then I carefully siphon it over. I eat a slightly bigger loss (it's like, desiliters though so w/e) but the conditioning takes care of the rest when it settles out/gets fridged after 2-3 months.

I've tried filtered siphoning, bagging the fruit, filters, this is the best result I've been able to get so far.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Are there still any good brewing blogs/bloggers?

I logged into an old RSS service I used and its something I miss reading.

Ron Pattinson is still going.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

SMaSH Pale Ale with HBC 630. Crazy berry flavors on this make it taste sweet even though it finished really dry; the FG was ~1.006/7. Didn't get a chance to drink its HBC 472 twin because the floating dip tube in that keg was being a jerk, and I wasn't in the mood to try and figure out what's wrong. I simultaneously feel like this hop is a winner with unique taste and I have no idea what I would use it in beside a NEIPA.

I think that in the future when I want to try a single-hop beer I'm just going to come up with a standard pale ale/session IPA malt bill and use that instead of making a SMaSH. Maybe base it on Lawson's Super Sessions, which if the internet is to be believed, has a grain bill that is roughly 84% pale, 10% carapils, 3% crystal 10L, and 3% Munich.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

SMaSH Pale Ale with HBC 630. Crazy berry flavors on this make it taste sweet even though it finished really dry; the FG was ~1.006/7. Didn't get a chance to drink its HBC 472 twin because the floating dip tube in that keg was being a jerk, and I wasn't in the mood to try and figure out what's wrong. I simultaneously feel like this hop is a winner with unique taste and I have no idea what I would use it in beside a NEIPA.

I think that in the future when I want to try a single-hop beer I'm just going to come up with a standard pale ale/session IPA malt bill and use that instead of making a SMaSH. Maybe base it on Lawson's Super Sessions, which if the internet is to be believed, has a grain bill that is roughly 84% pale, 10% carapils, 3% crystal 10L, and 3% Munich.

Clearly you should use it in a WCIPA, the superior version of an IPA.

I rarely go above 5% carapils, it gets extra heady. I also like a CaraMunich, but it's darker than your 10L crystal.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Head is good though.

Also agreed on west coast IPA.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Well I messed up, my first wet hop beer of the year is using chico (Omega West Coast Ale) and its fermenting at the very top of the range...ambient. So probably upper 70s, at least, ferm temp. I kinda forgot after all the saison's and kveik recently that my main fermenter doesn't fit in my temp controlled fridge and I need to use a bucket. Well I guess lesson learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

I phrased that wrong, shoud've said "how" not "what". I'm all aboard the WCIPA train and could see it being interesting in an American stout, a hoppy saison, or maybe even a non-traditional hefe. It's just going to take some trial and error to dial the recipe in both to find good hop combinations and dial in the hopping rate so it's balanced.