Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
As frustrating as it was to watch alex fumble around on the stand with his annoying loving voice "do I see the paper in front of me I don't know I don't recall maybe I guess what's a paper what are eyes where am I?" like he was doing some elite legal evasiveness

it was so satisfying to watch the plaintiff lawyer walk him into his own lie after lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tree Dude posted:

If it isn't done tomorrow before lunch that means there are 2+ people on the jury who are real big jerks.

Or the jury got the lunch menu and decided a free lunch is worth stalling one more hour for.

... This is exactly what we did last time I served on a jury.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Basically stalling for Thyme?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

The Fattest PI posted:

As frustrating as it was to watch alex fumble around on the stand with his annoying loving voice "do I see the paper in front of me I don't know I don't recall maybe I guess what's a paper what are eyes where am I?" like he was doing some elite legal evasiveness

it was so satisfying to watch the plaintiff lawyer walk him into his own lie after lie

Mr. Jones the paper is upside down
-actual thing that happened

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

You could be a crow and still a better lawyer than those chucklefucks

I don't understand all the moaning about them, it seems to me that they did a wonderful job. Just not for Alex. :lmao:

Edit: Actually catalysing Alex having to pay maximum damages and thereby humbling him into being more careful with his slanderous lies is the best thing that could happen to him, in more ways than one.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 4, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

It's clear he is incapable of listening to his counsel though

Given how incompetent his lawyers are would you listen to them?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm starting to wonder how badly Alex hosed himself, not through his testimony or lying about what was on his phone, but by pulling the bankruptcy stunt and delaying this trial. Basically, does the defense accidentally upload the phone image to the dropbox (and somehow ignore questions on if they meant to do so) if the trial went off when it was originally scheduled? Alex pulling a dumb and transparent stunt only to have it completely gently caress his life would be par for the course and all, but this is a new level of loving.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Scratch Monkey posted:

Given how incompetent his lawyers are would you listen to them?

I think it goes hand in hand. He won't listen so nobody worth a drat will rep him. He wants a yes man who doesn't care that he's still going to do his show every day even during an active trial.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Reynal also either has brainworms or does a really convincing act. His closing argument was pretty unhinged.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Jan. 6 committee plans to subpoena Alex Jones' emails and texts after his own lawyers accidentally revealed them

"The House select committee investigating the Capitol riot plans to subpoena years worth of the right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones' emails and texts, Rolling Stone reported Wednesday.

The development comes after it surfaced that Jones' own attorneys had accidentally turned the messages over to opposing counsel in an ongoing defamation trial against Jones."

https://www.businessinsider.com/january-6-committee-will-subpoena-alex-jones-emails-texts-report-2022-8

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was loving shook and rambling. There's not much you can prepare beforehand and use after a day like that, but it's all he had so he was spouting poo poo as though chunks of the day hadn't happened.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Alex Jones, more like Sucks at Law.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Lawlicaust posted:

Reynal also either has brainworms or does a really convincing act. His closing argument was pretty unhinged.

I dunno, appealing to any chuds on the jury seemed like a pretty rational move at that stage. Still, the thing that really has me worried is the jury's ignorance of the cap on punitive damages informing their decision here

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Inceltown posted:

Alex Jonestown Massacre

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PerilPastry posted:

I dunno, appealing to any chuds on the jury seemed like a pretty rational move at that stage. Still, the thing that really has me worried is the jury's ignorance of the cap on punitive damages informing their decision here

The jury won't award fewer than $150m in compensatory damages. They might award more for sure if they know of the punitive caps, but I don't think they award less because they don't know the cap is there.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

PerilPastry posted:

The ignorance of the cap on punitive damages shouldn't matter as much. The trial is bifuracted. What they are currently deliberating are the compensatory damages, which have no such cap. The punitive damages are largely an afterthought due to the existence of the cap, so the plaintiffs are treating and arguing for the compensatory damages to act as if they were punitive enough in regards for what they are out to accomplish here.

... at least that's what they were doing before they could disclose the leaked phone financial documents. Honestly, even in the most generous scenario, a few hundred million is what Jones' company would pull in during normal operation. He could very likely afford those damages and not suffer for it much, if at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1554922604619866112?t=gqIgfEe20ii79yu54B-4Fw&s=19

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Reynal was heavily hinting that they should take out their anger in the punitive phase, and just give the plaintiffs a little money as compensation.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

you can't fool me, that's macaulay culkin in a toupee

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Xakura posted:

Reynal was heavily hinting that they should take out their anger in the punitive phase, and just give the plaintiffs a little money as compensation.

God either he knows where the bodies are buried or he’s about to become one. I truly do not get why this man totaled his career in the span of two weeks with such reckless behavior

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

its Kieran, and I wouldn’t be shocked if Succession had a similar plot to this in future seasons

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Xakura posted:

This is key. Reynal has come across as an unprepared moron throughout and is being rightfully roasted, but if he lands the sleight of hand of selling the jury on nominal actual damages and "hammering" Jones on capped punitive damages that's some drat fine lawyerin' and making the best of a bad hand.

Edit: to be clear, Clarence Darrow wearing Gregory Peck's face and voice couldn't bring Alex Jones' case in well. Framing it to capture three red-pilled jurors and/or prime a zealous juror to decide "whatever on the actual damages, let's get on to punitive damages to really gently caress him up!" is probably the best strategy one in his position could pursue. The incredible gently caress up of disclosing the phone aside, I'd presume his incompetence was largely an act in service of this goal.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 4, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think we'll have a verdict by 11am central time.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Are we going to have a livestream all day or is it just gonna be only when the verdict is ready?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The plaintiffs' lawyer did very rightfully point out that clearly both Jones and his lawyer still don't think the plaintiffs suffered at Jones' hands, given that Alex' precious apology was a big old nothingburger that admitted zero fault or culpability, and the closing argument even tried to claim that the only culprits were Adam Lanza and a handful of deranged stalkers that took no cues from InfoWars.

Given that they're apparently not allowed to point out that punitive damages are capped, that seems to be the right tactic. Were they also not allowed to point out that he literally can't deny culpability because that was legally settled in absentia? I feel like that ought to have been pointed out also.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ok so:

Is there a livestream? Maybe? If there is one, you’re welcome to link it, however I wouldn’t expect too much unless it’s verdict time.

The thing is, we won’t really know when that’ll be. Presumably sometime today, and keep an eye out, as there won’t be much time between announcing that there IS a verdict and when the verdict is read. It’ll just kind of happen.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyone know how the live stream will work today? I assume it'll cut on when the Jury comes back but I dunno. I really wanna see it read live.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Subscribe to the channel that usually hosts that Stream everyone posts and get notified when it takes something live?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Just found this banger of a tune. Pro click.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpf-j6A9Zbo

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 4, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I’d make a meme with the Lin Manuel Miranda looking at the phone but someone else would be better at it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

A bunch of artists on Twitter did some alex jones portraits
https://twitter.com/danmcdaid/status/1555004677011300352?t=LnWIUnc1BEZB-tzmMYjb6w&s=19
Some favorites
https://twitter.com/danmcdaid/status/1555005489745956867?t=4PK08gEnQguL8yCFOnjI_Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/danmcdaid/status/1555024203300184064?t=n3bKJ0y9fJKRuWVBRAnnyg&s=19

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For those who haven't seen Succession, Culkin's character intended to send a dick pic to an older woman he's been flirting with, but instead sent it to his dad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm just going to endlessly refresh this page for the jury verdict.

CANNOT.

loving.

WAIT.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is there potentially some legal reason Alex Jones's attorneys didn't claim privilege on that phone backup when asked about it? I saw some folks upthread suggest they might have been ignoring emails from the plaintiffs' attorney, but I feel like I would make time for a message with the subject line "Did you mean to light your client on fire? (Y/N)."

The initial mistake seems understandable enough, but not doing everything you could to claw it back seems so inexcusable that it really makes me wonder if there's another explanation.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Baronash posted:

Is there potentially some legal reason Alex Jones's attorneys didn't claim privilege on that phone backup when asked about it? I saw some folks upthread suggest they might have been ignoring emails from the plaintiffs' attorney, but I feel like I would make time for a message with the subject line "Did you mean to light your client on fire? (Y/N)."

The initial mistake seems understandable enough, but not doing everything you could to claw it back seems so inexcusable that it really makes me wonder if there's another explanation.

The working theory is that the defense hated the plaintiff's lawyers so much they just ignored any emails from them

which, WHOOPS

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The working theory is that the defense hated the plaintiff's lawyers so much they just ignored any emails from them

which, WHOOPS

Which is pretty strongly supported by Bankston asking them on like Day 9/10 of the waiting period in court why they weren't responding to his emails.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Baronash posted:

They probably didn't entitled it " We got all of Alex's Jones phone, what do we do with it", instead they probably sent something that said " We need to notify you of receipt of documents" or some other innocuous email subject line, the lawyers for the defense then ignored it because they were ignoring all of the plaintiffs emails , and have done that for like several years.

Lawlicaust posted:

Which is pretty strongly supported by Bankston asking them on like Day 9/10 of the waiting period in court why they weren't responding to his emails.

I must have missed this , so they specifically calledo ut in court that they were ignoring the emails?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Baronash posted:

I'm going to assume the subject line was more like "Re: Evidence 1046-52"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lawlicaust posted:

Lolol absolutely classic.