Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

fischtick posted:

Consider anything from Buttonshy Games. They all come in little wallets and rarely need anything else. You'd be surprised how thinky some of their games can be. My wife loves Skulls of Sedlec. I really enjoy Antinomy(you'll need ~10 of anything to use as time crystals) and Sprawlopolis.

There 100% will be something you're looking for when it comes to Button Shy.

If you're into solo they just launched a kickstarter for their new game in their solo series, Fishing Lessons, including a bundle with all of the solo games. They're all quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hey, when did Heckin Hounds get added to BGA? I forget who here made it but grats, random goon.

I don't think that a 2-player async game in a browser is probably the ideal format for experiencing it, but it was pretty fun all the same. The limited information mechanics make for an enjoyably tense game. If our gaming group ever starts getting together again regularly I'll definitely be looking for a copy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FrozenPeach, and it got officially released last month sometime during bga's July game every day thing!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

the holy poopacy posted:

Hey, when did Heckin Hounds get added to BGA? I forget who here made it but grats, random goon.

That's me! It's a really great implementation too! The developer did an awesome job on it.

I also just got the pre-production prototype in yesterday and it's amazing!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Frozen Peach posted:

That's me! It's a really great implementation too! The developer did an awesome job on it.

I also just got the pre-production prototype in yesterday and it's amazing!

Looking forward to having this in my collection!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jaipur can be played on a coach airplane tray table

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is there uh, any progress on anything resembling a Dungeon Keeper game outside of Dungeon Lords yet?

Nothing I'm aware of, but it makes me realise how much I want a campaign-style, reserve-dungeon-crawl game like Gloomhaven, where each player is a different monster(/group) and you unlock new monster options as you go.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Nothing I'm aware of, but it makes me realise how much I want a campaign-style, reserve-dungeon-crawl game like Gloomhaven, where each player is a different monster(/group) and you unlock new monster options as you go.

how would a reverse dungeon crawler work, though? Dungeon Lords basically nailed it, but it's got a lot of rules. Hmm

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Plenty of games have done it in a tower defense style.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Dungeon Lords is so involved because both the building and the fighting are basically games unto themselves, but that doesn't have to be the case, you could easily make a dungeon-building game with streamlined resolution or a tactical dungeon-defending game with streamlined creation.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

the holy poopacy posted:

Dungeon Lords is so involved because both the building and the fighting are basically games unto themselves, but that doesn't have to be the case, you could easily make a dungeon-building game with streamlined resolution or a tactical dungeon-defending game with streamlined creation.

Yeah, like some kind of fun tile-laying game. Trap tiles and non-trap tiles.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

What are the best games that travel easily? If they also play easily during travel(on a plane/train/whatever) that would be great.

Outside of the obvious "bring a standard deck of playing cards". Totally a valid option, but looking for at least slightly more interesting.

2 players is great but if it also could do more to make it more versatile, bonus.

Hive is only two player but is easily transportable, and tiles make it safe from the elements if you want to play outside or in a cafe or something.

But also cribbage, which I will never not champion.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

¡HEROSCAPE IS BACK MY DUDE!

https://youtu.be/c9NAy-aQ8aA

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Recently acquired Nemesis and now with a few games under my belt, I'm still not sure what to make of it. It's dripping with theme. Components are excellent. But it feels more like an experience generator rather than a serious game. The capricious lethal nature of it has reared its head often which has lead to frustrating sudden ends. We've played strictly coop and I just don't see how semi-coop wouldn't devolve into a huge mess in short order. Is there really some form of strategy to be had here or are you just waiting for the perfect combo of dice rolls and ship layout to luck into a win? There are also a few mechanics that I feel are a tad over-baked. There's perhaps one too many Intruder types (Breeders and Creepers seem really unnecessary). I do enjoy the first ~10 turns of the game with the focus on scavenging and discovery and avoiding the one Intruder or two.

This has lead to an interesting internal debate with myself. Is a good horror board game even possible? Games typically demand interesting choices and balance. Horror is the opposite and revolves around disempowerment and the unknown.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The most terrified I've ever been playing a board game was playing Whitechapel as Jack. I'm adjacent to two cops and they both know I am close, and one of them is contemplating arresting on my space as a joke. Harrowing.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

djfooboo posted:

This is cool, but I'm scared to see how expensive the sets will be nowadays, I bought the MTG semi-reboot they made, where they conspicuously took out 99% of the cool plastic terrain to keep the price reasonable, I thought the rise of plastic and shipping costs meant the giant box full of tiles would never be back.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

djfooboo posted:

Oh sweet

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Davedave24 posted:

I thought the rise of plastic and shipping costs meant the giant box full of tiles would never be back.

My guess is Hasbro Pulse will likely be involved to take risk burden off Hasbro. Heroquest was a smoke test.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

iceyman posted:

This has lead to an interesting internal debate with myself. Is a good horror board game even possible? Games typically demand interesting choices and balance. Horror is the opposite and revolves around disempowerment and the unknown.

Nyctophobia is interesting in that regard, involving literal disempowerment, but I think it's more interesting from a technical level than as a good game.

I do like the design motivation, where the designer wanted to play against a visually impaired relative on equal terms.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Imperial Steam is gonna get a German version and I'm really interested.

Any opinions on it?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I feel seen by this post about being bad at board games. https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/wf877i/im_slowly_realizing_im_kinda_terrible_at/iisi25q

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure I have literally never won at Tash Kalar

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Being bad at board games is not a big issue IMO. I've seen (and experiencied) elitism in terms of board game skill even during playing a game and it's lovely as hell.

On the other had, if you are bad at games and have AP/take 10 minutes every time it's your turn, I have no sympathy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you're good at boardgames and take ten minute turns i also have no sympathy. I could win too if i sat and stared at the board all day!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Richard Tait, co-creator of Cranium, has died aged 58.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Selecta84 posted:

Imperial Steam is gonna get a German version and I'm really interested.

Any opinions on it?

I played this last week, 3 players. We made a bunch of errors as it says you will in the rules but it was decent. It's very complex with loads of thematic things in there that make it feel nice. The route building gets difficult if you build your stations too early (hElllllooo) and if one person gets to Trieste then that player is probably going to win.

If you like a game with a lot of hard choices and if you make any of those choices wrong you get no where then it's definitely pretty good. I'm going to say you NEED 2 or 3 plays to really start getting into the strategy of the game proper.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 4, 2022

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tekopo posted:

Being bad at board games is not a big issue IMO. I've seen (and experiencied) elitism in terms of board game skill even during playing a game and it's lovely as hell.

Agree elitism is terrible.

If people want to be better at games it is imho a learnable skill rather than an inate quality, but I don't think many people intentionally set out to learn.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Aramoro posted:

I played this last week, 3 players. We made a bunch of errors as it says you will in the rules but it was decent. It's very complex with loads of thematic things in there that make it feel nice. The route building gets difficult if you build your stations too earl (hElllllooo) and if one person gets to Trieste then that player is probably going to win.

If you like a game with a lot of hard choices and if you make any of those choices wrong you get no where then it's definitely pretty good. I'm going to say you NEED 2 or 3 plays to really start getting into the strategy of the game proper.

Sounds like a game for me.

Thanks

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I'm pretty sure it was Donald X who said that if there are more than 2 players in a competitive game most of them are going to lose, so for a game to be good it has to be fun to lose.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Jedit posted:

Way too young. Looks like covid was the cause.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Donald X who said that if there are more than 2 players in a competitive game most of them are going to lose, so for a game to be good it has to be fun to lose.
:hmmyes:

that's why the best games are multiplayer solitaires where you are doing your own thing

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

Reddit links to a TikTok from someone who I believe to be one of their adult children saying "before catching covid he was very healthy, active, and just generally doing well. In some ways I wish it had been something unpreventable, but my dad would still be alive had he not caught covid." Then in a later comment added, "My dad had all of his vaccines and boosters, unfortunately it just hit him harder than most, but that can happen to anyone"

(I could not get the sound to play for me, so please forgive me if I have misrepresented something.)

Let us all remember that this pandemic is still real, and even if the threat is lessened by vaccines the risk of serious illness or death is still out there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kazzah posted:

I'm pretty sure I have literally never won at Tash Kalar

I have played one game of TK against someone who also had never played it before. I won, and now will retire forever with my 100% win streak.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Has anyone played Godzilla: Tokyo Clash? It seems silly fun with great artstyle, but was just wondering if it has enough game and content to buy it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

High Tension Wire posted:

Has anyone played Godzilla: Tokyo Clash? It seems silly fun with great artstyle, but was just wondering if it has enough game and content to buy it.

I own it and have played 4 or 5 games of it, only at a player count of 3. I think it's a pretty entertaining kaiju brawler. It would definitely benefit from more monsters, but I haven't heard about any expansions for it. It plays relatively quickly and is rules light so it's pretty easy to teach as well. I'm not sure what constitutes "enough game" for your tastes!

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

armorer posted:

I own it and have played 4 or 5 games of it, only at a player count of 3. I think it's a pretty entertaining kaiju brawler. It would definitely benefit from more monsters, but I haven't heard about any expansions for it. It plays relatively quickly and is rules light so it's pretty easy to teach as well. I'm not sure what constitutes "enough game" for your tastes!

Sounds pretty good! I was just worried if it's so simple that it gets repetitive like right away.

I have played a lot of Unmatched with 2 players recently, and Godzilla seems to be similiar fun, streamlined, rules-light game, but with the benefit of being playable for 3-4 players. Plus I'm a total sucker for the art style of the game!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

High Tension Wire posted:

Sounds pretty good! I was just worried if it's so simple that it gets repetitive like right away.

I have played a lot of Unmatched with 2 players recently, and Godzilla seems to be similiar fun, streamlined, rules-light game, but with the benefit of being playable for 3-4 players. Plus I'm a total sucker for the art style of the game!

There are a few different environment setups that mix it up a bit, and the different monsters play differently. They're each deck driven, and have some different moves that result in you needing to play them differently. The gameplay loop is basically taking advantage of opportunities to attack the other players without exposing yourself too badly. You need energy to play cards, and you can get it by destroying stuff on the board, which also advances you closer to the game-end criteria. So basically it's a kind of tactical brawler where you're trying to accumulate energy when you don't have any great moves, and attack when the opportunity presents itself. When you deal damage to an opponent you steal cards from their deck which are worth points at the end of the game, more damage means you get to look at more cards, but generally you can only steal one after you look at them. So you also end up losing options as the game goes on if you suffer a lot of damage.

After the few games I've played, I don't feel like I am particularly good at it, so it definitely hasn't gotten stale. I'm not really into the whole monster battle/Godzilla theme, it was just never my thing, but the theme is solidly applied. A buddy of mine who is into that seems to love it and has specifically requested that we play it a few times now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pueblo preview is up. Most hyped I’ve been in about a game for a while:

https://gamefound.com/projects/mojito-studios/pueblo#/section/project-story

Check out those meeps and cubes!!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chill la Chill posted:

Pueblo preview is up. Most hyped I’ve been in about a game for a while:

https://gamefound.com/projects/mojito-studios/pueblo#/section/project-story

Check out those meeps and cubes!!

You and me both. This was always the one game that everyone said was great and never got reprinted for whatever reason. And it's on Gamefound, thankfully. I don't do much crowdfunding but I might back this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How is Plueblo at 2 and 3?

Also linked there, the next (non-FFG) Keyforge set will be on GF as well.

https://gamefound.com/projects/ghost-galaxy-games/keyforge-winds-of-exchange?ref=recommendation_projectHome_1