Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1555153908506435584?s=21&t=cPM0uS0zndNd_U_DBdKpcA

Chaos with Ed Miliband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not going to signal boost twitter randos but this might be the funniest thing I've read in a while.

The globalist establishment opposing globalization again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that is using "globalist" to refer to "wants to send jobs overseas" which is apparently distinct from "pro business" which is when the government subsidizes things to keep them domestic regardless of the profitability.

Petition to rebrand central planning as "pro business"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

15 months of recession ahead! Ding ding all aboard the Austerity 4.0 train!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

But I'm not English

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think that is using "globalist" to refer to "wants to send jobs overseas" which is apparently distinct from "pro business" which is when the government subsidizes things to keep them domestic regardless of the profitability.

But they're also anti subsidy, so the whole thing is a confused mess.

It's like they've fallen for both 'brakes off libertarianism means prosperity' and 'Singapore is a city that does that' ideas and now instead of 'the globalists' being people that want WTO globalization like it was in the 90s they're actually people who want regional trade blocs and protectionism. It'd make more sense if they just dropped the mask and said 'Space Jews'.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I think these people understand globololizatian about as well as the (probably problematic, but funny) thread my av is from, if anyone remembers that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I wouldn't even give them credit for that, they mean Jews.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I believe the phrase is "You use that word, the way a drunk uses a lamppost. For support, not illumination."

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Boris has made all the right calls on every issue that really mattered. Therefore skyrocketing inflation and the looming recession aren't important, but even if they are, then it's for the best. People need to stop complaining and enjoy life for once.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

piano chimp posted:

Boris has made all the right calls on every issue that really mattered. Therefore skyrocketing inflation and the looming recession aren't important, but even if they are, then it's for the best. People need to stop complaining and enjoy life for once.

Reminds me of when former Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, shameless financial criminal, said that he didn't know why people complaining about the economy didn't commit suicide. That was 2007 btw. Good times.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Eh, I think a lot of people (correctly) have come to associate the word "globalization" as meaning the force that causes jobs to be shut down in places like the UK and US and reopened in places where labour is cheaper. Because a lot of corporations have done that because it's cheaper for them and has become cheaper as a consequence of increasing trade interconnection and telecommunications making it far less necessary to have things be geographically centralized in order to work properly.

But I think the error is that they imagine that "pro business" is somehow an antonym to that. Possibly because they think "business" is domestic, smaller scale, "good" and probably also full of white british people doing upstanding business things in business suits and having business relationships, rather than a godforsaken agglomeration of systems designed to appoint fundamentally disposable people to whatever role is necessary to make number go up that is the modern multinational megacorp.

Because a lot of people like to imagine they are "business savvy" and "serious" people who Understand How The World Works, which is why they vote tory while complaining about the effects of tory policy which is 100% on board with obliterating people's livelihoods if it gets them a bit more cocaine money.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

piano chimp posted:

I mean yeah, just go to the beach and enjoy it in the 40 degree heat as turds wash up all along it.

What? You don't like a bit of turd water in your heatstroke hotdog? Sounds like wokeism to me! To the re-education camps with you! You'll soon change your tone after you're forced to chisel out toilet door signs while watching reruns of the 2012 Olympics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Steady on, I see no evidence they are Jeremy Corbyn supporters

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

‘Don’t take it out on our staff!’: How did Britain become so angry?

Anyone have any customer service horror stories in this vein?

I blame leaded petrol for this in anyone over 40. Isn't exposure to lead correlated with increased aggression and poor decision-making or something.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

piano chimp posted:

I blame leaded petrol for this in anyone over 40. Isn't exposure to lead correlated with increased aggression and poor decision-making or something.

The forums have a retail thread if it's horror stories you're looking for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I don't get guff from customers but that's probably cos I'm six foot, eighteen stone and covered in hair. Unaccountably this has correlated with them generally being unfailingly polite.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I admit I don't get guff from customers but that's probably cos I'm six foot, eighteen stone and covered in hair. Unaccountably this has correlated with them generally being unfailingly polite.

Alternatively, I think wearing a leather jacket and having face tattoos also does the trick, usually.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I look similar and I've still had folks yell at me for "sucking the cock of the establishment" for saying the moon landing happened.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

deep in the pockets of Big Moon

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did once get a guy who was absolutely incensed that I didn't let him just walk out of the shop with a sack full of booze he hadn't paid for, to the point he abandoned his kid in a stroller while flouncing out of the building.

It was really a tone of like "I can't believe you aren't going to let me nick stuff, what a terrible shop"

Like mate, if you want to nick stuff you have to be a little bit subtle, you have to put a little bit of effort in, you can't just shovel booze into a bag in full view of everyone and then act offended when they tell you to pay for it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

piano chimp posted:

Not a horror story, but I know I have sometimes lost my rag at some poor customer service person after I've been hanging on the phone for over an hour and it's the nth call and my issue still isn't resolved. I make a point of apologizing to them as an individual before I lose it completely.

I think it is a mainly a manifestation of deep frustration and the poor level of staffing of and ability (permission) to resolve problems of customer-facing roles. You only have to read the Fail's money pages to see how often people are phoning, emailing, writing to companies over a period of sometimes months with quite distressing situations esp relating to bereavements - to try and get a problem resolved, yet they are ignored or fobbed off etc, only for the Fail's money people to make one call and the problem is resolved + a bunch of flowers or something + 'we regret our service didn't meet the required standard blah blah staff training blah blah'.

When I worked in customer services donkeys years ago, I was on the receiving end of some ear bashings, but back then we were expected to answer the phone in person within 3 rings. Didn't stop people getting fobbed off and forwarded from department to department. Fobbing people off was encouraged by my manager who was a complete idiot.

When I became department supervisor, I tried to make us a 'one stop shop' for a customer. So if one of my staff took the call, I got them to take the number and brief details and say I would call them back. Then I would leg it round to the service/maintenance department and see if we were up to date on services, check the accounts to see if they had received any recent invoices or credit notes, get their file out (all paper in those days) and see if there was any ongoing history with the customer and do my best to find a satisfactory resolution including a personal site visit with a service person if necessary.

[To give one example, we were an alarm company and in our London area had literally 3000 customers called Patel, sometimes more than one different company in the same building with the same name. My manager at the time would insist people were the same person 'trying it on' - to them over the phone! - and the service guys would get confused as well as to which customer they were responding to. You can imagine the tangled web!].

I can give another example. Vodafone UK have (had?) a call centre near Cairo. An Egyptian friend worked in there. His manager encouraged a 'try your best to deal with the immediate problem, and also see if we can offer the customer either a cheaper price for the same package or a better package for the same price while they are on the phone'. If the UK customer said something my friend didn't understand (not the words as such but idiom or colloquialisms etc), he would hurriedly phone me from his mobile while he put the customer on hold and ask me what they meant. Anyway, Vodafone top bods got to hear about this manager's approach and she got a right ear-bashing and they had to stop trying to get better deals for the customers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Interestingly, I've always pictured you like this in my mind:

And apologies for the Potter reference.

I look like this but with less hair. Especially no beard. I was mistaken for Roseanne Barr in a shop once (by a middle-aged woman who was genuine not by some scamp winding me up). Though my dad always said I looked like one of those Birds of A Feather women can't remember their names, the Pauline Quirke one.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 4, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Miftan posted:

The forums have a retail thread if it's horror stories you're looking for.

Well don't tease us, tell us where it is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interestingly, I've always pictured you like this in my mind:

I do occasionally get called hagrid yes.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

piano chimp posted:

lol wherein they briefly consider that maybe economics might have a part to play but swiftly move on to people on the internet are being mean in my mentions and that's not ok!

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

piano chimp posted:

I've recently left a retail job for a desk job in a hospital after spending like a decade stuck stacking shelves. The vast majority of customers have been fine to me. The worst I've gotten, generally speaking.is snooty coldness from older customers who take service for granted. If things escalate, hey ho time to grab a manager and they can deal with it.

Christmas is a different story because people put a lot of effort and money into Christmas dinner, so something going wrong is a big deal to them. Telephone jobs seem much much worse for abuse because 1) it's easier to be a oval office when you're not face to face, and 2) no one likes having to phone companies up, it's already a negative interaction by nature. I'm very thankful not to have worked in that capacity and full respect to people who've been in/are in those trenches.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I think a lot of people (correctly) have come to associate the word "globalization" as meaning the force that causes jobs to be shut down in places like the UK and US and reopened in places where labour is cheaper. Because a lot of corporations have done that because it's cheaper for them and has become cheaper as a consequence of increasing trade interconnection and telecommunications making it far less necessary to have things be geographically centralized in order to work properly.

But I think the error is that they imagine that "pro business" is somehow an antonym to that. Possibly because they think "business" is domestic, smaller scale, "good" and probably also full of white british people doing upstanding business things in business suits and having business relationships, rather than a godforsaken agglomeration of systems designed to appoint fundamentally disposable people to whatever role is necessary to make number go up that is the modern multinational megacorp.

Because a lot of people like to imagine they are "business savvy" and "serious" people who Understand How The World Works, which is why they vote tory while complaining about the effects of tory policy which is 100% on board with obliterating people's livelihoods if it gets them a bit more cocaine money.
I think the crank version is even simpler.

1. The only people who hate capitalism are communists
  2. Communism is when men in big hats throw everyone in prison
  3. Therefore capitalism is good and the opposite of this
  4. My life keeps getting worse
  5. This is because capitalism is being restrained by globalists/bankers/the WEF/elite billionaires/George Soros, notable haters of capitalism
  6. Jewish Space Lasers
7:

Josef bugman posted:

I look similar and I've still had folks yell at me for "sucking the cock of the establishment" for saying the moon landing happened.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I used to do door to door chugging and have experienced the full range of human emotions.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

I've always found the suggestion we should "Run the country like a business" amusing because a country actually run like a business would be private capital's worst nightmare. Put up taxes the price of subscriptions, nationalise buy out all private competitors, have a
General Secretary CEO answerable to a central comittee board of directors.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Does anyone have a good primer (and critique) on the so-called ‘wage-price spiral’ that Tories love to cite when people suggest that wages need to rise with inflation? Economic theory isn’t exactly my strong point and it’s making my head spin trying to understand it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just ask what the alternative is. Is everyone supposed to just get poorer, or is the government supposed to introduce rationing or price controls?

If you get 'blah blah live within means' just hammer on at "so people are supposed to get poorer for doing the same work?"

Jippa posted:

I used to do door to door chugging

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not a horror story, but I know I have sometimes lost my rag at some poor customer service person after I've been hanging on the phone for over an hour and it's the nth call and my issue still isn't resolved. I make a point of apologizing to them as an individual before I lose it completely.

I think it is a mainly a manifestation of deep frustration and the poor level of staffing of and ability (permission) to resolve problems of customer-facing roles. You only have to read the Fail's money pages to see how often people are phoning, emailing, writing to companies over a period of sometimes months with quite distressing situations esp relating to bereavements - to try and get a problem resolved, yet they are ignored or fobbed off etc, only for the Fail's money people to make one call and the problem is resolved + a bunch of flowers or something + 'we regret our service didn't meet the required standard blah blah staff training blah blah'.

When I worked in customer services donkeys years ago, I was on the receiving end of some ear bashings, but back then we were expected to answer the phone in person within 3 rings. Didn't stop people getting fobbed off and forwarded from department to department. Fobbing people off was encouraged by my manager who was a complete idiot.

When I became department supervisor, I tried to make us a 'one stop shop' for a customer. So if one of my staff took the call, I got them to take the number and brief details and say I would call them back. Then I would leg it round to the service/maintenance department and see if we were up to date on services, check the accounts to see if they had received any recent invoices or credit notes, get their file out (all paper in those days) and see if there was any ongoing history with the customer and do my best to find a satisfactory resolution including a personal site visit with a service person if necessary.

[To give one example, we were an alarm company and in our London area had literally 3000 customers called Patel, sometimes more than one different company in the same building with the same name. My manager at the time would insist people were the same person 'trying it on' - to them over the phone! - and the service guys would get confused as well as to which customer they were responding to. You can imagine the tangled web!].

I can give another example. Vodafone UK have (had?) a call centre near Cairo. An Egyptian friend worked in there. His manager encouraged a 'try your best to deal with the immediate problem, and also see if we can offer the customer either a cheaper price for the same package or a better package for the same price while they are on the phone'. If the UK customer said something my friend didn't understand (not the words as such but idiom or colloquialisms etc), he would hurriedly phone me from his mobile while he put the customer on hold and ask me what they meant. Anyway, Vodafone top bods got to hear about this manager's approach and she got a right ear-bashing and they had to stop trying to get better deals for the customers.

At some point, some analyst with an MBA will have looked at the numbers and pointed out that the benefit over 3-5 years of doing this in terms of customer retention is amazing, and someone more senior who only gets paid their bonus if this year’s numbers hold up will have overruled them. Probably with the (accurate) observation that as soon as it starts yielding a benefit from them, other companies will start copying it, and then everyone will make less money.

The fact that this is exactly what is supposed to happen and is the entire basis of competition / antitrust policy is neither here nor there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Reveilled posted:

I've always found the suggestion we should "Run the country like a business" amusing because a country actually run like a business would be private capital's worst nightmare. Put up taxes the price of subscriptions, nationalise buy out all private competitors, have a
General Secretary CEO answerable to a central comittee board of directors.

Also borrow poo poo loads of money

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Answers Me posted:

Does anyone have a good primer (and critique) on the so-called ‘wage-price spiral’ that Tories love to cite when people suggest that wages need to rise with inflation? Economic theory isn’t exactly my strong point and it’s making my head spin trying to understand it.

Someone post that tweet thread, it was really good

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its also funny how we have massive inflation despite decades of record beating wage stagnation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Just ask what the alternative is. Is everyone supposed to just get poorer, or is the government supposed to introduce rationing or price controls?

If you get 'blah blah live within means' just hammer on at "so people are supposed to get poorer for doing the same work?"

Yeah, literally this. You had ann widdicombe's last lingering brain cells a while back saying outright that wages can't keep pace with inflation, like physically cannot under any circumstance. Like how the gently caress is that supposed to work, ann? Are we somehow getting worse at producing things over time?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Answers Me posted:

how much detail are you looking for?

people having more money in their pocket means they go out and spend more and are willing to pay more for the same, therefore businesses can and do charge more for the same and inflation occurs. inflation means people feel the pinch and ask for more money and it spirals.

there's really technical reasons why that's bullshit, but you don't even need to go that far. any graph of average earnings demonstrates that wage growth has been stagnant for a decade+; where exactly are the inflationary wage increases that are supposed to be driving this?

likewise as pointed out by many, corporate spending is somehow never included in this calculation, only the little guy spending money is an issue. liz truss is literally out there today telling people she would prioritise growth to fix everything which in the crudest terms means juicing corporate profits and spending

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I do occasionally get called hagrid yes.

My wife's pet name for me is literally Hagrid. Are...we all like this in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

My wife's pet name for me is literally Hagrid. Are...we all like this in this thread?

I would never suggest that goons have a type.