Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Microsoft Azure Virtual Training Day: Fundamentals is being held on July 13th and 14th this year.
If you attend both sessions (around 2.5hrs each) then they will give you a voucher to take the AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals exam for free.

Register here: https://mktoevents.com/Microsoft+Event/345065/157-GQE-382?wt.mc_id=AID3048148_QSG_598223

They are also doing one for the SC-200 but I don't know much about that exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Now that I've graduated from WGU and am gainfully employed as a Network Administrator, I'm starting to look at my next steps in certification. I have my CCNA, and since I'm working in a Cisco shop I figure shooting for a CCNP is a good use of my time, specifically CCNP Enterprise.

I have access to Pluralsight so I'll be watching the videos they have for the 350-401 ENCOR exam, but are there any other recommended resources I should check out?

For the Concentation, I'm considering the 300-435 "Automating and Programming Cisco Enterprise Solutions" exam, as it's something that is lacking in my current environment (we have some automation services, but everyone that configured them initially no longer works here so they're untouched) and would help set me apart. However, I'm wondering if it would be a better use of my time to aim for a concentration that I'm more familiar with like the 300-410 "Implementing Cisco Enterprise Advanced Routing and Services" to just get the CCNP over with then learn the 300-435 objectives afterwards.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is the CCNA a difficult exam for the non-network folks?

My current role has me on the fringes of infosec and dealing with a lot of traffic analysis shite. I should probably invest some time on learning the basics of networking, and if I can get a cert to add to the resume than that's even better.

I currently have my Security+.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Hughmoris posted:

My current role has me on the fringes of infosec and dealing with a lot of traffic analysis shite. I should probably invest some time on learning the basics of networking, and if I can get a cert to add to the resume than that's even better.

its filled with alot of bullshit questions.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

You'll probably have an easier time being familiar with network traffic, but be prepared to learn some obnoxious Cisco branded terms. Easily the hardest part is the various routing protocols and how their metrics work.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

You'll probably have an easier time being familiar with network traffic, but be prepared to learn some obnoxious Cisco branded terms. Easily the hardest part is the various routing protocols and how their metrics work.

eigrp isn't that complex, just remember 3 out of the 5 metic don't matter.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Actuarial Fables posted:

Now that I've graduated from WGU and am gainfully employed as a Network Administrator, I'm starting to look at my next steps in certification. I have my CCNA, and since I'm working in a Cisco shop I figure shooting for a CCNP is a good use of my time, specifically CCNP Enterprise.

I have access to Pluralsight so I'll be watching the videos they have for the 350-401 ENCOR exam, but are there any other recommended resources I should check out?

For the Concentation, I'm considering the 300-435 "Automating and Programming Cisco Enterprise Solutions" exam, as it's something that is lacking in my current environment (we have some automation services, but everyone that configured them initially no longer works here so they're untouched) and would help set me apart. However, I'm wondering if it would be a better use of my time to aim for a concentration that I'm more familiar with like the 300-410 "Implementing Cisco Enterprise Advanced Routing and Services" to just get the CCNP over with then learn the 300-435 objectives afterwards.

I have been watching Pluralsight videos for the CCNP too but the sheer amount of content is overwhelming. Also, and this is completely bonkers to me, they still haven't finished the videos for ENCOR, and in fact the last one they added looks to have been January 2021, so, I don't think it's really going to be viable. Maybe Ben Piper quit.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Famethrowa posted:

wargames posted:

Hmmm. Maybe I should aim for the Network+ to be less vendor-tied?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would argue the CCNA is not vendor tied, it is a solid foundation on network concepts that are applicable across the industry.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

I would argue the CCNA is not vendor tied, it is a solid foundation on network concepts that are applicable across the industry.

Yeah the CCNA is basically "Networking 101 with some Cisco specific stuff". Nowadays they even include basic wireless stuff in the CCNA which is nice. It's a good introduction to networking in general. Although I do think it was better like 7-8 years ago.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Haven't done net+ but my understanding is that ccna is more difficult and a little more highly regarded.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

or gently caress networking and go AWS/cloud stuff. Higher growth area and easier to get into.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

wargames posted:

or gently caress networking and go AWS/cloud stuff. Higher growth area and easier to get into.

*Yeah, I should invest more effort into cloud tech and learn the networking as needed.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 25, 2022

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

guppy posted:

I have been watching Pluralsight videos for the CCNP too but the sheer amount of content is overwhelming. Also, and this is completely bonkers to me, they still haven't finished the videos for ENCOR, and in fact the last one they added looks to have been January 2021, so, I don't think it's really going to be viable. Maybe Ben Piper quit.

Well, that's no good. I'll keep watching them for now, but maybe I'll pick up the Cisco Press Official Cert Guide for the 350-401.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sitting the CCNA tomorrow :ohdear:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
You got this

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

well, RIP. see you again in a few months test

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Famethrowa posted:

Too bad man. On the bright side you have a good idea on which areas need work now.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

Too bad man. On the bright side you have a good idea on which areas need work now.

it's IPv6. it's always IPv6.

lol but thank you. I just need to get back too it....in a week or month or so 😪

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Famethrowa posted:

For me it usually works best to dive right back in and keep the momentum going. The longer I wait the longer I forget poo poo again.

Been postponing my AWS CDA for about 6 months already and been sooo close to being ready I should’ve just booked the drat test.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Famethrowa posted:

That's unfortunate. I may know your pain in three months or so as well

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

For me it usually works best to dive right back in and keep the momentum going. The longer I wait the longer I forget poo poo again.

Been postponing my AWS CDA for about 6 months already and been sooo close to being ready I should’ve just booked the drat test.

I'm guessing thats the Certified Data Analytics cert? I've been trying to drum up motivation to start studying for that after passing my AWS SA-A cert.

In the meantime, I've been trying to wrap my head around vanilla Spark since it looks like practicing on EMR can get pricey quickly.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Network+ tomorrow after lunch. Scoring routine high 70s and low 80s on Jason Dion tests which is about where I was when I passed my Sec+. Wish me luck!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

I'm guessing thats the Certified Data Analytics cert? I've been trying to drum up motivation to start studying for that after passing my AWS SA-A cert.

In the meantime, I've been trying to wrap my head around vanilla Spark since it looks like practicing on EMR can get pricey quickly.

Was refering to the Certified Developer - Asociate. Will probably to go for for SysOps as a prep and then SA-P straight after it since my SA-A is expiring by the end of the year. And I need a new role by the end of the year so it won’t hurt having those on my CV.

Shouldn’t be too hard as I’ve been working more or less full time on rather broad AWS environments.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Famethrowa posted:

Don't wait too long! The questions that stumped you are probably still fresh in your mind - dig into your books/study material/whatever and try to figure them out. You probably won't be able to recall as well a few weeks from now.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Who has 00000010 thumbs and just passed Net+? 127.0.0.0, that’s who!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I've lurked this thread forever -- I just passed the PL-500 Microsoft Power Automate RPA Developer test and the person I wanted to tell about it is real dead, so I'm telling you nerds instead.

Babby's first cert, I'm on the board! It's not any of the actually super hard certs like y'all are after, but hey, some MBAs are dumb and just want letters under the certification column.

Also:

navyjack posted:

Nerd dad jokes best dad jokes (bonus points if you're not a dad or don't identify as male).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

navyjack posted:

tehinternet posted:

I've lurked this thread forever -- I just passed the PL-500 Microsoft Power Automate RPA Developer test and the person I wanted to tell about it is real dead, so I'm telling you nerds instead.

Babby's first cert, I'm on the board! It's not any of the actually super hard certs like y'all are after, but hey, some MBAs are dumb and just want letters under the certification column.

Also:

Nerd dad jokes best dad jokes (bonus points if you're not a dad or don't identify as male).

congrats to you both!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Couple of guys I used to work with want to pay for the test to get me certified to do MS Teams/Oracle SBC integrations on the MS side; the company they're contracting out to says they want them to have someone that's "Teams Certified" but have been (unsurprisingly - for a bit of context this company laid off two out of the three of us, and was just a generally lovely employer to work for in general so we're taking advantage of having them bent over a figurative barrel) a bit cagey about what that means.

As best I can tell, the MS-700 is "the" Teams cert, is that right?

As far as the Oracle setup goes, it's almost brainless work (so I'm perfect for it!) but we want to have the certs set up right so all our poo poo is in compliance.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lib and let die posted:

Couple of guys I used to work with want to pay for the test to get me certified to do MS Teams/Oracle SBC integrations on the MS side; the company they're contracting out to says they want them to have someone that's "Teams Certified" but have been (unsurprisingly - for a bit of context this company laid off two out of the three of us, and was just a generally lovely employer to work for in general so we're taking advantage of having them bent over a figurative barrel) a bit cagey about what that means.

As best I can tell, the MS-700 is "the" Teams cert, is that right?

As far as the Oracle setup goes, it's almost brainless work (so I'm perfect for it!) but we want to have the certs set up right so all our poo poo is in compliance.

You want this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/m365-teams-voice-engineer-expert/ MS-700 is the base level which doesn't go into detail over the phone system feature.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

You want this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/m365-teams-voice-engineer-expert/ MS-700 is the base level which doesn't go into detail over the phone system feature.

Beautiful - thanks!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
However expert level certifications require the associate level first, so yeah you’ll start with the Ms-700.

edit - if you have a linked .mil account, the free Microsoft certification vouchers have been extended until June 30th 2023. Works even if a contractor or government employee, not just military.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 2, 2022

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone ever taken the AZ-700 and AZ-305? Just want some thoughts on them

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

wargames posted:

it is if you suck at math.

does anyone know how much K-Values are used in the upper cisco exams, by any chance?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Management wants me to get a CISA cert, but before that they want me to attend a training (virtual or in person)

Looking online I’m seeing a lot of scammy looking boot camps. Anyone have a recommendation for some decent CISA training courses?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm sure you can go with any of the Isaca training partner organizations list on their website. I'm not sure what the different tiers signify although it's probably just how much the partner paid them for placement.
https://www.isaca.org/training-and-events/find-an-accredited-training-partner/certification-training

Also, not sure if this was linked but it's a pretty cool security certification roadmap within a number of concentrations. I'll be taking my GIAC GDSA next month and overall it was a decent enough course. I'm debating whether to go for TOGAF or CRISC or one of the CISSP concentrations afterwards.
https://pauljerimy.com/security-certification-roadmap/

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 21, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Diva Cupcake posted:

Also, not sure if this was linked but it's a pretty cool security certification roadmap within a number of concentrations. I'll be taking my GIAC GDSA next month and overall it was a decent enough course. I'm debating whether to go for TOGAF or CRISC or one of the CISSP concentrations afterwards.
https://pauljerimy.com/security-certification-roadmap/

I have both TOGAF certs and unless you’re or are aiming for an IT Architect function I wouldn’t really recommend them.

The framework is extremely bloated, dry as hell and just boring as hell. If you work at a company that is completely into TOGAF I could see the value, but otherwise the certs aren’t really worth it imo.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I’m already doing security architecture. I just figured TOGAF would help me, I dunno, be more efficient within my role or something.

Probably a CISSP concentration then.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Just wanted to post a wonderful shout out to this thread.

2.5 years ago I poked my head in here to ask about starting an IT career to escape my old career in restaurant management. I have now worked for 2+ years professionally in IT, make a comfortable salary, and have (most) nights and weekends off for the first time in my working life.

If you're stepping in here, wondering the same things I did, it really is very realistic for you to move out of whatever job you hate now and into IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Just wanted to post a wonderful shout out to this thread.

2.5 years ago I poked my head in here to ask about starting an IT career to escape my old career in restaurant management. I have now worked for 2+ years professionally in IT, make a comfortable salary, and have (most) nights and weekends off for the first time in my working life.

If you're stepping in here, wondering the same things I did, it really is very realistic for you to move out of whatever job you hate now and into IT.

I’m in the restaurant biz and trying to get my first IT job with Net/Sec+, so I’m curious as to what you’re initial path looked like to get your foot in the door. Helpdesk?