Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554898759196315648

Sounds like they're just scorched earthing the HBO max streaming service in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

HBO Max has probably been the most successful streamer in the past two years. But it’s also not clear how that industry is going to make any money without some kind of major consolidation. I mostly empathize with all the post-merger Discovery decisions so far, tbh.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
just have constant cycles of Going Bender, then coming back under A , B, or C before Going Bender and then coming back-

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat they killed all the good adult swim streams for nothing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not true, they got some nice quarterly stonk numbers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MisterOblivious posted:

This is the predicted Ecto-1 cost:

"$1.95 for the first two issues. After that, 4 issues a month for $10.90 + $1.95 (shipping) per issue. So $51.40/month. There are 141 issues planned (so looking at a 36 month build at a cost of about $1788.00 when all is said and done!). "

oh my god that sucks lmao

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vegetable posted:

HBO Max has probably been the most successful streamer in the past two years. But it’s also not clear how that industry is going to make any money without some kind of major consolidation. I mostly empathize with all the post-merger Discovery decisions so far, tbh.

Why would you merge it into discovery plus instead of the other way around lol. If Hardee’s merged with McDonald’s would you expect all the McDonald’s to rebrand as Hardee’s?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why would you merge it into discovery plus instead of the other way around lol. If Hardee’s merged with McDonald’s would you expect all the McDonald’s to rebrand as Hardee’s?

Been theorised in other threads it's for branding purposes; non-US audiences can't be expected to know anything about what HBO is and why they should care, Discovery plays better in wider markets.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been theorised in other threads it's for branding purposes; non-US audiences can't be expected to know anything about what HBO is and why they should care, Discovery plays better in wider markets.

HBO is pretty big here and offers nearly the same selection, though it’ll gently caress up premieres all the goddamn time (and say nothing, at all, about it)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1554898759196315648

Sounds like they're just scorched earthing the HBO max streaming service in general.

Close Enough... :(

I really liked that one

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also because Discovery made the actual purchase so they don't want to be the secondary brand.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

kdrudy posted:

Also because Discovery made the actual purchase so they don't want to be the secondary brand.

https://twitter.com/fivepoisonskid/status/1554923137141194753

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Having looked at the transaction again, I don’t think it’s even that Discovery “owns” WB now. Discovery shareholders own just 29% of the new company, while AT&T shareholders (former owners of WB) own 71%.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Having looked at the transaction again, I don’t think it’s even that Discovery “owns” WB now. Discovery shareholders own just 29% of the new company, while AT&T shareholders (former owners of WB) own 71%.

Even if they don't, the fact of the matter is that the people running WB Discovery are nearly all Discovery executives (many appointed by AT&T). This whole thing is very remiscient of the Boeing/McDonnell-Douglas merger where despite the former acquiring the latter, all the top positions were occupied by MDD executives who proceeded to bring their extreme cost-cutting mentality to the company which ultimately resulted in the 737 MAX debacle.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

its insane top-to-bottom. You run one of the biggest movie studios in the world, own ips from superman to scooby doo to bugs bunny to lord of the rings, have a big 4 streaming service, the second biggest news network in the US and biggest internationally and say to yourself: you know who we need to put this company on the right track? the guys who brought us cake boss

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

every other tweet about the WB merger is an incredible 30 rock meme

https://twitter.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1554823559192756225?s=20&t=hBW6lTXqNPMF_ynN0Z7Sew

https://twitter.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1555042446500823040

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol. 30 rock was so good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Nothing AT&T does is meant to make sense. Case in point, buying DirecTV.

Heck, they tried to buy T-Mobile, failed, and T-Mobile used the $5 billion break up fee to better complete against AT&T. Death Star execs would have been better off just burning the 5 billion.

Discovery+ is a decent streaming service and HBO Max was a really good service, so of course the combined one will suck poo poo through a straw.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I dont know anyone that thought direct tv was a smart move, no one uses that poo poo and streaming has just made that market collapse anymore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I dont know anyone that thought direct tv was a smart move, no one uses that poo poo and streaming has just made that market collapse anymore.
No, and as someone who's parents tried it in South Florida when I was younger, it doesn't work if you have constant afternoon summer rainstorms coming through

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Buying DirecTV was AT&T trying to solve a 2010’s problem instead of 2020’s one. It let them leapfrog local cable providers/telcos to offer cable to almost everyone in America.

But now people are canceling cable providers and instead streaming. That requires fast internet and AT&T sucks at high speed internet. They could upgrade more of their network to fiber, but they’re already 180 billion in debt. Essentially they looked at a table full of goblets and instead of the Holy Grail they picked DirecTV.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

To be fair, does any established company with decades of business experience manage to pick the next new hotness and succeed at it with better odds than random chance?

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Buying DirecTV was AT&T trying to solve a 2010’s problem instead of 2020’s one. It let them leapfrog local cable providers/telcos to offer cable to almost everyone in America.

But now people are canceling cable providers and instead streaming. That requires fast internet and AT&T sucks at high speed internet. They could upgrade more of their network to fiber, but they’re already 180 billion in debt. Essentially they looked at a table full of goblets and instead of the Holy Grail they picked DirecTV.

And then every leftist who had ATT plans canceled them and switched to T-Mobile because ATT funded OAN

And then when they cut OAN, right wing lunatics switched to Verizon because ATT cowtowed to the WOKE MOB!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm probably not renewing AT&T because I like the big unlimited plan that comes with a bunch of poo poo and they cut all that bunch of poo poo and made the only offer HBO max and I already get that with Cox. They also almost hosed me on the phone buyback.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hindsight is 20/20, not to mention how hard it is to pivot big companies. Look at Facebook struggling to develop even a single new line of business. Dissing At&t for not becoming Netflix is fun but also kinda silly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I worked at ATT while they went through and completed the direct TV merger, and they did it because A. ATT desperately always wants to be seen as more than a cell phone company and V. Randall Stephenson spent ATT money for years to justify getting large bonuses as CEO, then left the company with the bag when he “retired.”

As always, the executives assumed the product would “sell itself” because everyone hates cable. But they forget that everyone hating cable includes direct tv and the cell phone bill too. So every Direct TV pitch was “do you want to pay more for this than you are paying for tv + internet but hey you’ll get $10-20 off your cell phone bill! “

Plus, in most markets where ATT did not have fiber, they failed to realize that Direct TV did not have sporting rights for local sports. Imagine having to try and sell this product in Philadelphia and literally not being able to offer the Phillies, Flyers, Eagles or 76ers. It was a nightmare.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Hindsight is 20/20, not to mention how hard it is to pivot big companies. Look at Facebook struggling to develop even a single new line of business. Dissing At&t for not becoming Netflix is fun but also kinda silly.
Facebook is trying to create an entire new ecosystem that people aren't even asking for, it's not a surprise that it's not going well

also I don't think anyone at Meta has informed Zuck that Second Life was already a thing

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Facebook is trying to create an entire new ecosystem that people aren't even asking for, it's not a surprise that it's not going well

also I don't think anyone at Meta has informed Zuck that Second Life was already a thing

Lol.
gently caress Facebook.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

I worked at ATT while they went through and completed the direct TV merger, and they did it because A. ATT desperately always wants to be seen as more than a cell phone company and V. Randall Stephenson spent ATT money for years to justify getting large bonuses as CEO, then left the company with the bag when he “retired.”

As always, the executives assumed the product would “sell itself” because everyone hates cable. But they forget that everyone hating cable includes direct tv and the cell phone bill too. So every Direct TV pitch was “do you want to pay more for this than you are paying for tv + internet but hey you’ll get $10-20 off your cell phone bill! “

Plus, in most markets where ATT did not have fiber, they failed to realize that Direct TV did not have sporting rights for local sports. Imagine having to try and sell this product in Philadelphia and literally not being able to offer the Phillies, Flyers, Eagles or 76ers. It was a nightmare.

Former AT&T here too. Even in a world of lovely CEO’s, Randall Stephenson was *extra*.

It was always going to be difficult for AT&T to pivot, but making every bad decision they could certainly didn’t help matters. If 5G home internet becomes a thing (please become a thing) I think AT&T gets buried under its own costly infrastructure.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Second Life and cryptobros: together at last!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think they have, Zuckerberg is just too into it to accept that even if ready player one has this, he meshes far better as the villain than the creator the sunk cost fallacy is a thing people do not actually want to spend more time with their boss when remote this time will not, in fact, be different, even though they're bringing the most popular social network on earth, because the social network that would be backing this and providing the network effect is being abandoned and there's little they can do to reverse that in time, and good luck getting the people who are still there to figure out VR.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I think they have, Zuckerberg is just too into it to accept that even if ready player one has this, he meshes far better as the villain than the creator the sunk cost fallacy is a thing people do not actually want to spend more time with their boss when remote this time will not, in fact, be different, even though they're bringing the most popular social network on earth, because the social network that would be backing this and providing the network effect is being abandoned and there's little they can do to reverse that in time, and good luck getting the people who are still there to figure out VR.
Fair

It generally doesn't work out well when a super successful company does something that is just completely out of its wheelhouse like this

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Remember back in 2018 when Zuckerberg floated a Presidential run?

Our collective choose-your-own-adventure book has been picking the absolute worst timelines, but I think we caught a break there when he decided to focus on VR.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Our collective choose-your-own-adventure book has been picking the absolute worst timelines, but I think we caught a break there when he decided to focus on VR.

Eh. Apparently it's more like he could be president AND run facebook. He choose money over politics. Well, that kind of politics. He's still helping fascists with fascebook. Ironiy cat or something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think he realized that it's cheaper and easier to just pay the politicians to do what you want, especially if you promise to back them when they overthrow the government in exchange for removing any oversight.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/thedrunkriders/status/1556778795453108225?s=21&t=k5ME8EikpQbbtDTFQIJSGQ

Mark Shapiro led them to bankruptcy

red19fire
May 26, 2010

More like Six Red Flags.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

value-brand cereal posted:

Eh. Apparently it's more like he could be president AND run facebook. He choose money over politics. Well, that kind of politics. He's still helping fascists with fascebook. Ironiy cat or something.

It was more that everyone hates Zuckerberg and he has negative charisma. It's not even that polarizing kind of carnival showmanship that Trump had - that worked on the kind of people who get the undercoating on their used car. Zucks has the stage presence of an alien in a human suit and none of their PR attempts could get past it.

Turns out there's a reason they bother with buying the politicians instead of just doing it themselves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Voyager I posted:

It was more that everyone hates Zuckerberg and he has negative charisma. It's not even that polarizing kind of carnival showmanship that Trump had - that worked on the kind of people who get the undercoating on their used car. Zucks has the stage presence of an alien in a human suit and none of their PR attempts could get past it.

Turns out there's a reason they bother with buying the politicians instead of just doing it themselves.

Plain toast right out of the toaster, like a normal person, even Lt. Cmdr. Data could pretend to be human better than Zuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I refuse to return to any Six Flags until they reinstate the dancing old man as CEO.