Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Does anyone have access to a 3d printer that can do a 12 inch or bigger print?
I need something made up for work, it would be 9" by at least 12, 16 would be great, 20 even better.

I can easily provide an autocad file.
Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

AFewBricksShy posted:

I need something made up for work, it would be 9" by at least 12, 16 would be great, 20 even better.

Thanks

I'm in Calgary depending on how you feel about Canada. Max I can print is 400*400*450mm (15.7x17.7 inch). Gooseminis.com

Anyone looked into DIY resin printers? Seems like there's not a lot of reason to do it when I can buy a Saturn 2, but there's something to be said for making some voron level monster with a heated vat, agitator etc

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 3, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerobro posted:

And.. like.. a year later, my V0 FINALLY is sitting on my 3d printer counter. And my Ender is out in the garage.

I certainly have 0 need for another printer, especially a printer that small, but I actually enjoyed building my 2.4 and have considered doing a v0 just for fun.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

I'm in Calgary depending on how you feel about Canada. Max I can print is 400*400*450mm (15.7x17.7 inch). Gooseminis.com

Anyone looked into DIY resin printers? Seems like there's not a lot of reason to do it when I can buy a Saturn 2, but there's something to be said for making some voron level monster with a heated vat, agitator etc

Someone asked in the voron discord if there would ever be a voron resin printer and the overwhelming response was that there was no reason too, it would be too expensive, there really isn't anything to build on/make better than what's out there currently.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

That痴 cool. I am a tinkerer (and worrier) so I love taking apart my printer and putting it back together. Should you decide to get a CR-Touch or equivalent, it is a very simple up grade. The motherboard already has a pin slot for it and there are mounting holes already in the carriage. Flashing the new firmware is super easy. Honestly, I spend the most time on snaking that new wire through the goddam mesh sleeve.

When I get off work I知 going to install some new fans on my hot end, but I have to undo the wire harness first because I want to put JST plugs on the power lines so I can swap out fans easily. I知 way too jazzed about it.

I like tinkering with my cars and guns but with 3d printers they're basically a tool. I don't want to spend time making my wrench better, I just want to be able to pick it up and turn a bolt. I don't think people are wrong for liking working on 3d printers, that just isn't me.

I just got a job offer for a job that will pay 10-15k more per year so I decided to celebrate by ordering a mk3s+ kit.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

w00tmonger posted:

If you can ship to the us, I知 completely cool with Canada.
I値l check out the website. Thanks
Edit: holy poo poo my stuff is nothing compared to what you make this should be easy as poo poo for you.
I知 making a grid to be able to set tiles in. I値l shoot you an email but this will be laughably simple compared to what you致e been printing.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 3, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got 3D printers stuck in my head again.

Basically perused r/3dprinting and YouTube and came down to these printers I'm interested in.

Fokoos Odin-5 F3
Anycubic Kobra
Kingroon KP3S 3.0

The Fokoos looks fairly solid. Has most of the features I would want out of the box, but my only negative is that it's a glass bed and not quite what I want. The Kobra seems like a really strong option but the hotend seems to be a point of contention for a lot of people as there's no known drop in replacement if I wanted to go all metal. The Kingroon is the cheapest out of the bunch but has a lot of compromises for the low price and I'm still not convinced running a lot of current through a barrel jack is a good idea but people seem to love it.

I'm also aware the Elegoo Neptune 3 is being shipped out to people who have preordered and that also sounds interesting but I think the strain gauge feature is not something I would like given people's issues with the Anycubic Vyper using the same function.

Anyone use either of those printers and could share their impressions of their use with it?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Next dumb question - I did read the OP and checked out the US filament suppliers, but am curious if the Elegoo filament pre-order would be worth a shot? (5 kilo/5 color $70) Have they sold filamen5t before, or is this a new thing and quality will be :iiam:?

Differently dumb question - if I have something to be printed, and want to have details printed in a different color, would it be possible to not remove the main part from the bed, purge the original color, and then print just those details with the new color? Would "continuing" the print off the already-printed part (and the location data already loaded) be doable, without needing to try and re-home (re-level, I guess?) the print head?

(All the videos I've been watching show one-and-done prints, or making separate fiddly-bit prints to be glued on, so i suspect not.)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

mattfl posted:

I certainly have 0 need for another printer, especially a printer that small, but I actually enjoyed building my 2.4 and have considered doing a v0 just for fun.

The 2.4 is a cakewalk versus a V0. The challenge is real.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Fokoos Odin-5 F3
Anycubic Kobra
Kingroon KP3S 3.0

Only one of those has been posted about ITT, and it's a crapshoot machine (Anycubic).

LOL if you looked at the other two and thought those would be anything other than a QC nightmare of parts.

Get the Creality Ender variants that match the first and last one you listed.

At least then you'll have community support if there is a problem.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

At least then you'll have community support if when there is a problem.

FTFY

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If the product comes from a new company with a name that sounds like it was created by pulling scrabble tiles out of a bag, we probably haven't heard of it

insta
Jan 28, 2009

mattfl posted:

Build a 160 Salad Fork

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BMan posted:

If the product comes from a new company with a name that sounds like it was created by pulling scrabble tiles out of a bag, we probably haven't heard of it

I miss the days when Monoprice had fairly modern 3d printer designs that came with a 1 year warranty and weren't fuckoff overpriced.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Only one of those has been posted about ITT, and it's a crapshoot machine (Anycubic).

LOL if you looked at the other two and thought those would be anything other than a QC nightmare of parts.

Get the Creality Ender variants that match the first and last one you listed.

At least then you'll have community support if there is a problem.

I was talked down to never buy a Creality printer elsewhere on the internet and you'd be an idiot to buy one. :(

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I was talked down to never buy a Creality printer elsewhere on the internet and you'd be an idiot to buy one. :(

Creality machines are the default for a reason, they池e cheap and will work (after some fiddling) and have extensive aftermarket support. If someone was talking down to you about considering a Creality then the only options they壇 accept would be ponying up for a Prusa or building your own Voron/CoreXY.

If you池e okay with fiddling with the machine and doing calibrations, creality machines (or even the clones like Biqu) are fine. If you want something that Just Works out of the box, you池e going to have to pay way more.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

How hard would it be to build a shell for a gameboy (or say a PSP) with a transparent resin?

I imagine you should be able to get some decent strength out of thing's if you use the right blend of engineering resin. Then just tint it with some inks or whatever.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ygolonac posted:

Next dumb question - I did read the OP and checked out the US filament suppliers, but am curious if the Elegoo filament pre-order would be worth a shot? (5 kilo/5 color $70) Have they sold filamen5t before, or is this a new thing and quality will be :iiam:?

Differently dumb question - if I have something to be printed, and want to have details printed in a different color, would it be possible to not remove the main part from the bed, purge the original color, and then print just those details with the new color? Would "continuing" the print off the already-printed part (and the location data already loaded) be doable, without needing to try and re-home (re-level, I guess?) the print head?

(All the videos I've been watching show one-and-done prints, or making separate fiddly-bit prints to be glued on, so i suspect not.)

I suppose it would depend on what you mean by details. It is possible to load a different color filament in part way through a print and have everything from that layer on up be a different color. If you're talking about finishing, I dunno, a head, and then going back and doing the eyes or something then basically no. Since everything is done in layers, trying to go back like that would just have your print head and supporting structure bash in to the previously printed piece and, if lucky, just knock it off the bed. I think there are some multi-color print heads that can swap from one color to another at certain spots, but that's pretty high end printer stuff from what little I looked in to it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

w00tmonger posted:

How hard would it be to build a shell for a gameboy (or say a PSP) with a transparent resin?

If you had the model, pretty doable!

You could even do something cool with diffraction grating if you used an FDM printer

https://learn.adafruit.com/3d-printing-on-diffraction-grating-sheets/3d-printing

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AFewBricksShy posted:

Thanks

Is this not something that can be broken up into a few pieces and bonded together?

Also is it literally a 2D AutoCAD file or is it a 3D model?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

mewse posted:

Weird about that filament sensor triggering on the purge line, I can't think of why that would happen

It's cause I'm a dumb rear end and I don't want to talk about it.

It had become unplugged...and hitting resume I guess just overrides the runout error and it goes on happily printing

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

bird food bathtub posted:

I suppose it would depend on what you mean by details. It is possible to load a different color filament in part way through a print and have everything from that layer on up be a different color. If you're talking about finishing, I dunno, a head, and then going back and doing the eyes or something then basically no. Since everything is done in layers, trying to go back like that would just have your print head and supporting structure bash in to the previously printed piece and, if lucky, just knock it off the bed. I think there are some multi-color print heads that can swap from one color to another at certain spots, but that's pretty high end printer stuff from what little I looked in to it.

Yeah, that's about what I figured. if it was noy horrifically difficult, I'd probably have seen at least one vid by now. Thanks!

(One of the videos that I only watched a little bit of was demo'ing some new two-spool (and feed/hotend assembly, I'd assume) that could switch colors (reels) on the fly, or at least without having to purge/reset the feed, but it was some kind of prerelease demo job and didn't seem cheap or n00b-friendly.)

(Watched more stuff showing off lost-wax/PLA casting, which is certainly not a beginner process but makes awesomely neat poo poo. "Oh, this weird-rear end skull headpiece looks fukken sweet. How hard is it?" <watches video to end> "Yeah, I think not. Hard on the carpet, and the landlord would scream...")

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Got 3D printers stuck in my head again.

Basically perused r/3dprinting and YouTube and came down to these printers I'm interested in.

Fokoos Odin-5 F3
Anycubic Kobra
Kingroon KP3S 3.0

The KP3S for price and then upgrade to something better later (or upgrade the machine itself), or the Kobra which comes with everything you'll want to print most materials (Well PLA/ABS/PETG/TPU) except the full metal hotend (which trianglelabs or someone will get to arranging eventually I'm sure - thats if the kraken heatbreak doesn't fit like people have guessed) and the filament runout sensor. As someone who has had multiple printers with glass plates, gently caress them.

Fake edit: and lol at the Creality hivemind dickheads in this thread. There's plenty of printers these days with features on par/better than Creality offer for the same price, and without the constant QC issues that are for some stupid reason are labeled as "aftermarket support". Most printers are a solved issue, so 99% of problems you have with them are brand agnostic, and they've all got similar print quality.

Real edit: It's like you all have some wierd mix of battered person syndrome and goatse syndrome, where you need to inflict the pain of dealing with Creality's bullshit on others just to ease the pain that was inflicted on you.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 4, 2022

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actually my ender works great.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Tornhelm posted:

Fake edit: and lol at the Creality hivemind dickheads in this thread. There's plenty of printers these days with features on par/better than Creality offer for the same price, and without the constant QC issues that are for some stupid reason are labeled as "aftermarket support". Most printers are a solved issue, so 99% of problems you have with them are brand agnostic, and they've all got similar print quality.

Real edit: It's like you all have some wierd mix of battered person syndrome and goatse syndrome, where you need to inflict the pain of dealing with Creality's bullshit on others just to ease the pain that was inflicted on you.

Creality is just a known quantity. When you start talking about the 2020 bedflingers, you end up running into some really niche decisions by different manufacturers. And at that point, "I can't help you."

That said, my ender has been essentially trouble free. I am quite angry at Monoprice, and the MPMD facebook group for the Mini Delta, but that's a long story.

Yes, most of the problems people have with printers are brand agnostic. However, most of the answers, are ~straight up bad~. Often, even, answers from the manufacturers themselves. And now we're back to the original thing. When someone has an Ender, I "know" what they have, and if I tell them they need X.. the answer works. Especially if that thing is a printed accessory, or a certain bed/coating/whatever.

"I" have no problems running ~kinda any~ printer. I don't care. They're just CNC machines. But I'm not about to try to ask here why my Geeetech i3 has zbanding that might as well be a zipper.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

NewFatMike posted:

Is this not something that can be broken up into a few pieces and bonded together?

Also is it literally a 2D AutoCAD file or is it a 3D model?

It will be a 2d autocad model that I need to be about 1/4" deep or so.

That's what I'd be looking for. (The black parts)
The skinny parts in the middle are 1/16" thick, the rest is 1/8".

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 4, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Tornhelm posted:

The KP3S for price and then upgrade to something better later (or upgrade the machine itself), or the Kobra which comes with everything you'll want to print most materials (Well PLA/ABS/PETG/TPU) except the full metal hotend (which trianglelabs or someone will get to arranging eventually I'm sure - thats if the kraken heatbreak doesn't fit like people have guessed) and the filament runout sensor. As someone who has had multiple printers with glass plates, gently caress them.

Sounds like you have a problem in between your printer and chair.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
I had two failed prints on my Mono. Emptied the reservoir. To find that I had a pinhole in my FEP. Carefully cleaned my screen with razor. Replaced the FEP then refilled the reservoir. Made a good clean print of upgrades for my Ender 3. Op Success!!!

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Nerobro posted:

That said, my ender has been essentially trouble free. I am quite angry at Monoprice, and the MPMD facebook group for the Mini Delta, but that's a long story

I had run into issues with my Monoprice Mini. Where the extruder would heat up and the stepper motor wouldn't work. Never could isolate the problem. So just junked it out after many attempts to fix it. And after that experience it left a sour taste in my mouth with Mono as a brand.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AFewBricksShy posted:

It will be a 2d autocad model that I need to be about 1/4" deep or so.

It could be broken up into about 4" x 6" pieces, but they need to be able to go together perfectly and handled repeatedly without breaking.

That's what I'd be looking for. (The black parts)
The skinny parts in the middle are 1/16" thick, the rest is 1/8".

I壇 send the part to Send Cut Send. You値l get something stronger and you can choose a variety of materials.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

NewFatMike posted:

I壇 send the part to Send Cut Send. You値l get something stronger and you can choose a variety of materials.

gently caress I'm an idiot. I didn't even think of using my waterjet guy.

Thanks you're awesome for reminding me that I had that option.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I had run into issues with my Monoprice Mini. Where the extruder would heat up and the stepper motor wouldn't work. Never could isolate the problem. So just junked it out after many attempts to fix it. And after that experience it left a sour taste in my mouth with Mono as a brand.

Yeah, that Mini Delta is where things went downhill.

Back around 2014-2015 though the Maker Select V2 (not the Mini, the regular bed slinger) was a screaming deal for $200-250 (depending on coupons) because if you abused their warranty for replacement printers every few months you'd get upgrades to the machine because whoever actually built them for Monoprice was making design improvements every time the hobbyist community detailed an improvement that could be made on the Wiki for said printer.

Simple things commonly recommended for Enders now like stiffer springs for the bed or better connections for the bed heater (& strain relief for said connection), etc. were included on the machine the last time I replaced it before the warranty ran out.

The fact that it was one of the few i3s outside of Prusa at the time with 100% powder coated steel extrusion frames was a bonus (way more rigid than the acrylic frames people loved back then for some reason).

EDIT: That reminds me I need to do a maintenance run on that thing and get it running again. It was a great PETG dedicated printer before I got distracted by the Prusa Mini.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 4, 2022

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I like tinkering with my cars and guns but with 3d printers they're basically a tool. I don't want to spend time making my wrench better, I just want to be able to pick it up and turn a bolt. I don't think people are wrong for liking working on 3d printers, that just isn't me.

I just got a job offer for a job that will pay 10-15k more per year so I decided to celebrate by ordering a mk3s+ kit.

I could never go back to a slow wrench

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tornhelm posted:

:chloe: I think you're mixing up Creality and Prusa.

:haw:

But seriously, nobody is saying Creality is the creme de la creme, but it's a solid starting printer that will be a widely used and supported platform to cut your teeth on and thousands of people have solutions for anything you're likely to run into. It's like complaining about starter guitar recommendations. Everyone will have an opinion, but at the end of the day, it's just a cheap entry point that you don't waste a lot of money on if you find out you hate guitar.

Having said that, the new Elegoo Neptune 3 is an Ender 3 clone that is MUCH better as far as features and quality for the $. It's the closest thing to It Just Works you're going to find for under $400.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tornhelm posted:

99% of problems you have with them are brand agnostic, and they've all got similar print quality.

So what's your problem with Creality then? I would get your argument if you were advocating something that works out of the box like a prusa but you seem content to recommend printers that come from brand new chinese startups with incomprehensible word salad names.

They're better than they used to be but random chinese printers are still a minefield of dangerously stupid firmware, soldered crimp connectors and fake XT60s that'll burn your house down. The only difference with Creality is that there is a community of people who have wrestled the loving things into some degree of safety and reliability and will gladly post detailed instructions on how to do it. You don't get that with a TPUMBO Jizzblaster XL or whatever poo poo you ordered from aliexpress.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

So what's your problem with Creality then? I would get your argument if you were advocating something that works out of the box like a prusa but you seem content to recommend printers that come from brand new chinese startups with incomprehensible word salad names.

They're better than they used to be but random chinese printers are still a minefield of dangerously stupid firmware, soldered crimp connectors and fake XT60s that'll burn your house down. The only difference with Creality is that there is a community of people who have wrestled the loving things into some degree of safety and reliability and will gladly post detailed instructions on how to do it. You don't get that with a TPUMBO Jizzblaster XL or whatever poo poo you ordered from aliexpress.

There are a lot of good alternatives that aren't random chinese printers, though, and creality's recent reputation is poo poo in this regard as well. Look at similarly priced fdm printers from anycubic, artillery, elegoo. There are better printers with more features for the money, possibly with better first party support (i point to anycubic if this is a hangup for you), definitely all similar enough to the enders to piggyback onto that community if you need help.

e: unless you have the microcenter coupon

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 4, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

poverty goat posted:

There are a lot of good alternatives that aren't random chinese printers, though, and creality's recent reputation is poo poo in this regard as well. Look at similarly priced fdm printers from anycubic, artillery, elegoo. There are better printers with more features for the money, possibly with better first party support (i point to anycubic if this is a hangup for you), definitely all similar enough to the enders to piggyback onto that community if you need help.

Sure, I agree with that. It remains silly to poo poo on Creality while shilling for "Fokoos" and "Kingroon", all I'm sayin.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I find it so weird how there are literally 100 different options that all boil down to <$500 bedslinger ender clones with slight tweaks, and then basically nothing mass market until you get into the realm of the Prusa XL. I feel like there should be a It Just Works option with a larger print volume at the $1000 price point, but there just isn't.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sure, I agree with that. It remains silly to poo poo on Creality while shilling for "Fokoos" and "Kingroon", all I'm sayin.

I literally thought that was "Klingon" until just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

I find it so weird how there are literally 100 different options that all boil down to <$500 bedslinger ender clones with slight tweaks, and then basically nothing mass market until you get into the realm of the Prusa XL. I feel like there should be a It Just Works option with a larger print volume at the $1000 price point, but there just isn't.

I mean I grabbed a Kobra max which effectively "just works".

I think the issue is the big gulf between people just wanting a 3d printer and professionals. And frankly a large format printer is already pretty niche.