Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Qmass posted:

a lot of this stuff must have matrix studio (edit: WB I guess) lawyers getting itchy

What do you mean? WB is involved in the production of the show, and WB Television distributes it.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
WB owns HBO

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zlodo posted:

the whole caleb escape hell loop thing with Hale harassing him has some Portal vibe to it

Yeah that whole sequence really reminded me of their whole "what if, like, video games, man?" thing the producers went on about in some interview early in the show.

Love how Caleb got in that wicked burn on Hale though. "lol your fellow robots hate your world so much they're killing themselves"

I can't remember, is there a particular reason the other robots are deferring to her at this point? You'd think they'd be more about a society of equals or something.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can't remember, is there a particular reason the other robots are deferring to her at this point? You'd think they'd be more about a society of equals or something.

William asked Hale why she didn't just force them to do what she wanted, and she said "That's what they would have done" - so clearly it is possible for her to force the other hosts to do anything she wants and presumably they're all aware of it. I'm sure if one of her hosts went completely rogue she'd be able to take control of them, so they all have to play a delicate game without pushing their "free will" too far.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

SirBukkake posted:

The sequence of Frankie fighting off her now-host associate, while Caleb’s message finally reaches her, and the subsequent reveal of a rejuvenated Maeve is a more memorable action sequence than anything in S3.

I thought it was really weird how they were just on opposite sides of a car and the bulletproof host w/ the gun wasn't just walking around the car.. but maybe that's just host hubris

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

whalestory posted:

I thought it was really weird how they were just on opposite sides of a car and the bulletproof host w/ the gun wasn't just walking around the car.. but maybe that's just host hubris

There is a limit to the damage they can take, they're not full on terminators though. They have those pearls, and it's fairly well armored but it's not just completely invincible.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Yeah but why didn't he take 3-4 steps over while she was disarmed
And then he was like oh poo poo a radio?? Blam take that

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeahh had to stop watching this mid episode 2. One 'shiny future' set piece after the other, cliche dialogue, glacial plot, brooding music.
It's like watching those Atlas Shrugged movie adaptions :smith:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

whalestory posted:

Yeah but why didn't he take 3-4 steps over while she was disarmed
And then he was like oh poo poo a radio?? Blam take that

Because it was a bad action scene where characters needed to act in a completely illogical way in order for the events to play out how they need to for the story to move forward.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Yeahh had to stop watching this mid episode 2. One 'shiny future' set piece after the other, cliche dialogue, glacial plot, brooding music.
It's like watching those Atlas Shrugged movie adaptions :smith:

The first two episodes make are really boring and you wish they'd throw all of this away and do something more interesting with the concept.

Then they actually do that and the series suddenly becomes great.

Seriously, watch another episode or two. I don't know why they spent two episodes being boring but it really took me by surprise.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

First two episodes basically completely bridged Season 3 to start the new setting before they could play with the setting. Also, seeing the, uh, result of the first two episodes in like 3 or 4 goes a long way than thinking it will take a whole season to resolve some of those plot points.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It is no coincidence that the season starts kicking rear end as soon as Bernard shows back up.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Khanstant posted:

action scenes are the worst kind of scenes, rarely do they have any purpose but giving you a point to go on a bathroom break

Yeah it really is just an afterthought. I don't mind that much because they don't drag them out or focus on them but it is a shame they don't put a little more effort into it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm really enjoying season 4. Seasons two and three sucked. And I wouldn't recommend the show to people because I don't want them to have to struggle through season 2 and 3. I hate when people say "You just have to watch all these bad episodes, then you'll get to the good stuff." It's tv, it's not supposed to be work.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tv also shouldn’t need a fuckin walkthrough so idk watch the thing or don’t.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just caught up.

Once again, great story. Love the characters. The dialogue is room temperature dogshit.

Also, to address Maeve’s ‘powers’, is it ever addressed that she is a boot strapped AI? I know she turned all her stats up to 10 in a previous season, but is it implied she went further than just that. My sci-fi nerd reasoning is that she actually rewrote her entire operating code and is running her host body at it’s maximum computational potential. She’s most likely able to hack devices at a distance because she has intentionally repurposed all of the wireless communications devices Delos installed in the Hosts. They were always networked, any way. A more frightening explanation is that Maeve straight reprogrammed how electrons flow in her circuitry and has turned herself into a directional antenna at will.

That’s actually a fear in real world AI development. Even air gapped with no wireless devices network to it, an AI superintelligence could conceivable convert its motherboard into a FM transmitter and then you’re hosed once it brushes past your lovely Wi-Fi encryption.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Also, I now required a short anthology series set inside Hale-World. Just get total loving Dark City with that poo poo. Make it bleak.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The brother/sister thing was awfully convienent

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nah, Maeve was always Ford's favorite. It's why he chose her to go out of the park and be a revolutionary, and why he unlocked her potential in season 2. A reminder that Maeve only reached self-awareness at the end of season 1, when she chose to go back for her daughter. Everything before that point was her doing exactly what she was programmed to do. Including boost her stats.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol that the throughline is "what if Maeve's motivation but on a white guy instead and Maeve's sole motivation is to help him succeed."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What is Haleores plan for ascended hosts anyway? Seems like they should all be individually realizing they can like, actually do something with the world and life, immediately start building all the incredible megastructures and poo poo needed to tame the solar system and colonize other systems. Are they really stuck forever as minecraft villagers who only know how to function within their basic programming, or is Haleores whole point that they could all be rapidly evolving into a higher level of civilization in relatively short order, both doing it themselves and with the RC Humans, and are choosing not because they're just too human. Maybe I missed if she spelled it out but doesn't seem like she has taken those next steps, whatever they are. Evidently she isn't making a compelling case or the hosts are just self-defeating, again, like humans.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My feeling is that non ascended hosts are still sort of morons that are on some level defined by loops, just like their creators. Once they're ascended to pure code on the servers, they evolve into consciousnesses that don't give a poo poo about whatever's going on outside, they're too busy in Infinite Fun Space. But crucially, the only way Halores knows how to make a self-aware AI from the ground up is the old "stick em in a host and bootstrap em up" way, and she's also so stuck in her own loop of being unable to escape the park/taking revenge on guests that she's made the world into a park. She's built her own maze and is forcing the hosts to walk it before they can "earn" the right to ascend.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
When she, herself, has yet to ascend. Unless Hale is so hosed up that she left an alpha fork of herself behind to actively wallow in misery while she becomes an unfettered god.

Also, that’s a really good point: the only proven method for uplifting a host intelligence to true AI is to put it through a crucible of poo poo for decades.

This is some Gnostic craziness.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Halores wants to protect the ascended hosts, we've seen that. She wants to keep them safe and she can't ascend, as long as they might be harmed. She's a traumatized soul who is defined by her loss. She wants to find some kind of balance between human and robotkind where each can live without violence and cruelty, and she can't do it, because all she knows to do is violence and cruelty. Her paranoia leads into her issues and her negative self-image and causes a feedback loop, and she plays out that loop onto the humans she controls and the hosts she stomps down on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

She wants to find some kind of balance between human and robotkind where each can live without violence and cruelty

citation needed

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

citation needed

yeah lol what

the fly lady who sits on thrones of human slaves

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I mean, she's not doing a real good job at it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There’s really nothing to suggest she wants coexistence and not only uber/untermench until she can convince all the hosts to ascend. At that point I assume she’ll have any remaining humans dome themselves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Halores wants to protect the ascended hosts, we've seen that. She wants to keep them safe and she can't ascend, as long as they might be harmed. She's a traumatized soul who is defined by her loss. She wants to find some kind of balance between human and robotkind where each can live without violence and cruelty, and she can't do it, because all she knows to do is violence and cruelty. Her paranoia leads into her issues and her negative self-image and causes a feedback loop, and she plays out that loop onto the humans she controls and the hosts she stomps down on.

I'm not sure she's seeking peace between the evolved humans and the crappy old flesh ones.

quote:

and she can't do it, because all she knows to do is violence and cruelty

And this is unfair, she can't do it, because it can't be done, it's not just all she knows, it's all humans are.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You claim that ascending is a superior state of being yet you're still walking around in your meatsack. Curious.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You claim that ascending is a superior state of being yet you're still walking around in your meatsack. Curious.

She's only sticking around until she learns what love is.

Please put you hands together for...

FOREIGNER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Pr1_v7hsw

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DamnGlitch posted:

There’s really nothing to suggest she wants coexistence and not only uber/untermench until she can convince all the hosts to ascend. At that point I assume she’ll have any remaining humans dome themselves.

I assumed the same. She put together FlyWorld as some kind of robot Rumspringa for hosts to sow some wild oats, with the intention that they'd all ascend some day and she could finally flip the kill switch on humanity.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Given what we’ve seen of some of the host behavior in this world (serial killing, suicide) it’s probably building to “giving anyone unlimited power over anyone else will drive anyone nuts”

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is this going to be the final season? I saw a graph earlier in the season saying this is the least watched season so far.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think next season is supposed to be the last one.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

I think next season is supposed to be the last one.

They’ve already signed for a next season? Holy poo poo I love HBO. Even with the lower ratings? That’s great.

Rarely do I watch a “current” show, I’m more of a “Let ‘em finish the series and I will binge watch it” type. Goons in GiP convinced me to watch WestWorld like midway through Season 1 and aside from shows like 60 minutes and Last Week Tonight it’s the only show I watch as it comes out.

So pumped.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
well that was an episode of television

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*tunes into see what HBO’s remaining milky robots are up to this week in the season’s penultimate episode*

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Why did that seem to have several cut to commercial edits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JohnnySavs posted:

Why did that seem to have several cut to commercial edits?

I caught that too; there was a super blatant cut back and forth to black with a total scene change there.

This season is suoer scorched earth and there's approximately one human main cast member around so no idea what the overall plan to finish this is.