Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Sir Tonk posted:

goddamit i have a meeting at ten, this is so good tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Eeyo posted:

Did Alex Jones' defense call him as their only witness? It seems pretty incredible to me, like surely you could find a crank psychologist to testify about how death threats are no big deal or some dipshit professor to testify about how all information is spread via messaging apps and Alex Jones isn't the main component of misinformation spreading.

In the same way the corporate rep basically testified that Jones' free-associative rants are a new type of speech that should be considered both journalism and not-journalism simultaneously, Reynal was deliberately arguing that Jones is the main person spreading the misinformation - and that Jones was right to do so due to his belief in an absolute freedom to do anything.

It's unclear how deep Reynal is in this pill poo poo, but his strategy has clearly been to become an 'Info-warrior'. The refusal or failure to get any other witnesses is directly analogous to Infowars' official stance that checking sources would compromise Jones' subjective truth by making it beholden to other truth(s). It's solipsism as a defense: "we occupy our own personal reality and we choose to perceive the judge as an extradimensional demon sent to perplex us." Calling witnesses besides Jones, appointing a corporate rep who knows what she's doing, etc. - this would deflate everything by acknowledging an external reality. A big chunk of the strategy has been to try and will things out of existence through a deliberate ignorance of them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
yesssssssssssssss

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Cheesus posted:

He'll probably have to as Reynal won't be able to afford to be there after this.

I mean, maybe he could get a job caddying.

You know how much I paid for that putter? I'm not trusting him with it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

lol try and work it out today

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
hahaha "go through it today"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Lol I love that Reynal is squirming right now "This is a lot of information to go through"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The judge should be shutting Reynal down hard. Don't give him any time.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Is it going well when the Judge is being openly sarcastic to you?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Madkal posted:

The judge should be shutting Reynal down hard. Don't give him any time.

Didn't he already have time? 10 calendar-days, if I recall? It's not anyone's fault but his own if he frittered it away playing candy crush

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
lol @ this dude asking for a do-over

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Your honor, can I have ten days from yesterday to review the information?"

"This should all have been disclosed a year ago. If you had done that, you would have had plenty of time."

"What about the Jan 6th committee?"

"They know the information exists, they're gonna come for it anyway, I can't stop that."

gregday
May 23, 2003

he wants 10 more days starting from yesterday

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Didn't he already have time? 10 calendar-days, if I recall? It's not anyone's fault but his own if he frittered it away playing candy crush

Yea. Which is why Reynal asking for 10 days from yesterday is BS

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
"they will now that they know about it"
And the judge literally LOL'd

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Haha, forcing Reynal to try to come up with a reason. I'm gonna bet he's unable to.

gregday
May 23, 2003

haha just openly mocking him for asking for a mistrial "like 17 times now"

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If I remember from ALAB in civil court lawyers gently caress up like this and miss deadlines and a lot of times they’re given time to unfuck themselves; that’s usually for people that are acting in good faith and like complying with discovery though.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

heeeeeeeeeeeee motion denied SUCKER

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Get hosed Reynal.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
reck lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was good stuff.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Technically if they had turned it over back when discovery began they would have had literally YEARS to look through it

But they didn't

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Deeeeeeeeeee

nied!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
That was a nice surprise of serotonin to the system.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm glad that she played hard ball and didn't really give into his poo poo. gently caress Reynal, gently caress Alex Jones, I hope they all rot

gregday
May 23, 2003

"that wasn't a serious request for a mistrial was it? you didn't mean that?" so good

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

the J6 Committee is ripping a fat blunt right now in anticipation

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So she basically gave him a day to state what was privileged?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TheMightyBoops posted:

If I remember from ALAB in civil court lawyers gently caress up like this and miss deadlines and a lot of times they’re given time to unfuck themselves; that’s usually for people that are acting in good faith and like complying with discovery though.

I know a lot about Canadian law and very little about American but judges do this to protect the case from appeal or mistrial usually.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TheMightyBoops posted:

Outside of absolute must always rule follow exactly assholes, most judges are very patient if you make an honest mistake and try your best to follow the rules. There’s lots of rules and judges often have to look them up too or have their staff remind them of specifics.

But when you do nothing but gently caress with the rules for months, you get zero slack. Judge Gamble is so much more gracious and patient than she has any requirement to be.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Technically if they had turned it over back when discovery began they would have had literally YEARS to look through it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcI47GpiTcM

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lol Reynal is so hosed because no way he is able to in a day get everything privileged that he wants privileged

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
is there a live stream for today? the op is in contempt of thread

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hollismason posted:

And he will almost certainly gently caress that up and try and claim too much and his whole ask thrown out.

gregday
May 23, 2003

lol at saying she's felt like she's been with 24 hours a day for this trial

yes listening to alex jones talk is like that

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Hollismason posted:

I think she gave him until the verdict from this 1st phase.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

is there a live stream for today? the op is in contempt of thread

NOPE! The verdict is due today but this was a little surprise!

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Hollismason posted:

at least a day. She didn't really give a deadline. The way I understand it though is that until then Mason can still broadcast it to 1/6 and the plaintiffs in CT?
e:nm i am an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Like, seriously, the Jan. 6th committee is going to have Alex Jones' cellphone image by the end of the day.

Confusedslight posted:

That was a nice surprise of serotonin to the system.

RIGHT!? Jesus that was good.