Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

When I got Fort Legoredo as a kid I remember flipping up the lid at Toysrus and losing my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Waltzing Along posted:

I think Fedex is confused.

My GE was supposed to be here on the 1st. Fedex status said it was due to be delivered and was on time.
Then it updated to the 2nd. Fedex said it was on time.
Now it says the 3rd and is still on time.
I don't think it is on time.

FedEx pulled that with me too. Until it’s “Out For Delivery,” the dates seem to be idealistic guesses.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fedex has always been pretty funny for me; they will almost always have an initial estimate of like a day or two into the future while the status is still label created. Accuracy once they pick it up is usually fine for me though.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

xzzy posted:

But the box is the punch tab style so it'll never be the same. I'm sure collectors everywhere are fuming.

Do people actually use those? I always use a knife to cut between the things.

edit: dear god why did I open the speed champions portion of the lego online shop, I do NOT need to start another collection

uXs fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 4, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

uXs posted:

I do, because I don't keep boxes. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

The galaxy explorer is amazing. Just finished it. If you're on the fence, just get it. All prints, no stickers. Some classic spacemen. The sliding bay door and loading ramp is beautiful. A steal for $100.

It is pretty great, but it rates 0/10 on swooshability because there's no way to hold it on the bottom. The landing gear is pretty neat despite no deployment mechanism, digging them out with a fingernail kinda sucks.

The airlock on the interior legit surprised me, I had no idea what I was building and then holy cow that's rad. That technique needs to be used on an exterior somewhere. The thrusters are excellent builds, and the rover ramp is awesome. But the rear spoiler bugs me and I'll be changing that out at some point. Also kind of weird they chose to put a 1x2 plate on the front slope instead of a 1x6 tile but that was an easy replacement from my collection.

One of my canopies came out of the bag with a big rear end scratch on it which kinda blows.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Authentic battle damage!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

uXs posted:

edit: dear god why did I open the speed champions portion of the lego online shop, I do NOT need to start another collection

I do the knife thing but I hate that it leaves box looking all ragged and lovely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

xzzy posted:

One of my canopies came out of the bag with a big rear end scratch on it which kinda blows.

The same thing happened to the canopy for my buzz lightyear ship. Which is why you leave. the. legos. in. the. box. My galaxy explorer canopies will never be scratched, because I'll never see them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Cojawfee posted:

The same thing happened to the canopy for my buzz lightyear ship. Which is why you leave. the. legos. in. the. box. My galaxy explorer canopies will never be scratched, because I'll never see them.

They are both scratched and not scratched. Schrödinger’s Canopy.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Will Lego send replacements for scratched canopy parts?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

uXs posted:

I've heard they can be a tiny bit addicting

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
$20-30 vehicles are one of the areas Lego shines the most imo. Seem kinda rarer now but until a few years ago the spaceships they did at that price point for Star Wars were some of my favorites.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol how am I supposed to work now, my Galaxy Explorer got delivered and like 9:45 in the middle of a meeting. It sits there taunting me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

lol how am I supposed to work now, my Galaxy Explorer got delivered and like 9:45 in the middle of a meeting. It sits there taunting me.

Quit immediately. You already have the GE so you don't have any further use for money

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I snuck away from my desk once an hour to build for 10 minutes. No managers figured out my subterfuge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Quit immediately. You already have the GE so you don't have any further use for money

Still needs another galaxy explorer to build the other two ships.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Castle.
Classic Space.

90th year stuff.

Hmm...

Another Pirates ship on the horizon? (you see what I did there?)
Seems possible. Even after Barracuda Bay.

I'd love another Western. IMO, the western stuff were the best looking sets they ever made, as a group. Even the Lone Ranger remakes all look great. The buildings, I mean. Well, the stagecoach and train from that line look great, too.

Something about the simplicity of old west buildings that words well with LEGO.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cojawfee posted:

Another two apparently, or one plus parts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

One oddity I noticed is the book barely mentions the alternate builds, there's a single caption on the page profiling the set the designer that mentions them and gives an url for the generic https://lego.com/buildinginstructions/ site.

I guess the two photos of the alternate build on the same page might be good enough, but it still feels low effort to me.

edit - the url is a 404 as well, lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

:hmmyes:

Good thing ordered two!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Waltzing Along posted:

Castle.
Classic Space.

90th year stuff.

Hmm...

Another Pirates ship on the horizon? (you see what I did there?)
Seems possible. Even after Barracuda Bay.

I'd love another Western. IMO, the western stuff were the best looking sets they ever made, as a group. Even the Lone Ranger remakes all look great. The buildings, I mean. Well, the stagecoach and train from that line look great, too.

Something about the simplicity of old west buildings that words well with LEGO.

bionicle relaunch

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

xzzy posted:

One oddity I noticed is the book barely mentions the alternate builds, there's a single caption on the page profiling the set the designer that mentions them and gives an url for the generic https://lego.com/buildinginstructions/ site.

I guess the two photos of the alternate build on the same page might be good enough, but it still feels low effort to me.

edit - the url is a 404 as well, lol

I think they said or I read somewhere (possibly earlier in this very thread) that they are providing the instructions for the two builds online somewhere but it'll be a little while after release. Could be wrong about that though.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MaliciousOnion posted:

bionicle relaunch

a real bionicle relaunch will never happen because lego needs to keep making custom Looney Toons and Avatar heads and can't be arsed to bust back out the dozens of bionicle part molds required

best case scenario, we get a buildafig Tahu with a Hau printed onto the new shoulder armor piece

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

thebardyspoon posted:

I think they said or I read somewhere (possibly earlier in this very thread) that they are providing the instructions for the two builds online somewhere but it'll be a little while after release. Could be wrong about that though.
They're out

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/service/buildinginstructions/10497

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waltzing Along posted:

I think Fedex is confused.

My GE was supposed to be here on the 1st. Fedex status said it was due to be delivered and was on time.
Then it updated to the 2nd. Fedex said it was on time.
Now it says the 3rd and is still on time.
I don't think it is on time.

FedEx makes their own rules.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man those alternate instructions are so much more legible than the main ones. Lego really needs to adopt that style for everything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Man those alternate instructions are so much more legible than the main ones. Lego really needs to adopt that style for everything.

Are you talking about the green outlines? If so, I agree. That makes it really obvious where the new pieces are. There are too many times where I'm careless and miss a piece because I didn't catch it in the new part list or the picture of the step.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
One off-brand lego (mega blocks I think) used to gray out the last steps and I was building something gray so I was confused constantly

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Here's my updated LL family.

I bought two 10497, and built the updated 924 today. As you can see, even it's bigger than the original Galaxy Explorer.

This is what's left over from the first alt build.

Maybe 30% of the pieces. It consumed all the 3x6 wedge plates, all the 2x4 tiles, all the maneuvering thruster parts, the printed parts (there are a few computer screens left), the 4x6 partly-tile plates, and lots of the interior structural bits. You will not be able to build both alt-builds from a single set, unfortunately. In fact, the first step of building the second alt ship, which has a 1x4 blue technic brick, fails because the first alt ship uses both that were included in the set.

edit--Should probably timg those

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 5, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That is very very lame.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Are you talking about the green outlines? If so, I agree. That makes it really obvious where the new pieces are. There are too many times where I'm careless and miss a piece because I didn't catch it in the new part list or the picture of the step.

This happens to me more often than I would like to admit, the "trick" is to pause at the end of each bag. If you have more than 1 of any tiny pieces or more than 0 of anything larger, you made a mistake. Still a hassle to step back through that one bag, but this way at least you won't find out at the very end you missed an interior piece from the first bag.

Alternatively, if you're feeling patient, pick out all the pieces for the step before assembling it. I've tried this a couple times and it works flawlessly, but abandoned it because of the tedium.

The green outlines are good and cool though, has Lego ever said why that's not the default way to print instructions?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

That is very very lame.

I just want to make clear that you can't build them simultaneously. Each 10497 can build an alt-build with no issue.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

One off-brand lego (mega blocks I think) used to gray out the last steps and I was building something gray so I was confused constantly

That‘s one of the worst ways to do it, lol. I hate it for the same reasons. What‘s pretty nifty is when they simply dim earlier steps while printing the new pieces in full color. You can still see the colors of the previous builds, but at the same time easily see (even easier than outlines, imo) what‘s new.

One of the companies that does the „completely grey out old steps“ is Cobi, but usually - at least with ships - you pretty early on you usually put a green round 1x1 tile on the starboard, and a red one on port, and they usually show where the bow goes (or is, in later steps), so even though everything is greyed out and their builds at the beginning tend to be pretty symmetrical (center of the ship hull, for example) you know where‘s what.

For a recent ship, IIRC it was either the HMS Hood or the Graf Zeppelin remake, they decided to go the „absolutely crazy colors on the inside“ Lego route. Not only did it not impress fans (to put it mildy), they apparently also completely forgot that their instructions show the previous steps as completely grey, so the color didn‘t help at all. They even ditched the port/starboard orientation markers for this.

Luckily, back to normal for the Yamato remake.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pyroclastic posted:

I just want to make clear that you can't build them simultaneously. Each 10497 can build an alt-build with no issue.

Yeah, of course. It had been implied you could build each side build with one set. I bet a lot of people bought two thinking that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
1968 Dodge Dart Hemi Superstock

Now that the Speed Champions DB5 is out and we finally have light gray mudguard pieces, I can build the legendary 68 Hemi Dart. I'm actually gonna talk about the car a little bit this time because this thing is rad.

The Hemi Dart was Dodge sticking their largest engine, the 426 Hemi, into their smallest car, the Dart. They built it as a semi complete frame and sent it to Hurst Performance for finishing. Hurst built these cars a custom suspension and exhaust and moved the battery to the trunk to fit all that engine. To save weight, they fitted them with polymer windows and fiberglass hoods and fenders. They acid dipped body panels to shave weight. They omitted anything that didn't add to performance: heaters, radios, armrests, insulation, carpet, consoles, all of it stripped out.

This was a street legal car that you could buy from a dealership, albeit without a warranty. That said, they were mostly intended to end up on the track. They shipped with no paint, just primer gray with black gelcoat on the front to protect the bodywork, on the assumption that racing teams would just repaint them anyway, so why bother finishing them? They weighed barely 3,000 lbs and made 425 BHP. With a tiny bit of tuning, they could make a quarter mile in the 9 second range. They were dominant in class B superstock racing racing for years. Only 80 were made, and they're worth a ton now, especially if they have the original primer & gelcoat.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Bad loving rear end. (the E46 M3 also has a trunk battery to fit the L6 engine, mounted at a list, in the bay, haha).

Hood scoop came out looking great.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I had a lot of fun building the 007 DB5. It'd a neat build with cool techniques, but what the gently caress am I suppose to do with 8 extra license plates?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't finished the new GE yet. Just a bag to go. However, I can say that the OG GE is better.

The new GE should be smaller and it needs something like the originals base plates. Part of the reason the original is so great is it has a landing pad and a small communications building along with terrain to play on.

Sure the new one has some really cool build techniques and looks nice. But in making something so big they missed out on part of the appeal of the original.

There were a bunch of Classic Space sets that had terrain plates or landing plates. But the Galaxy Explorer had both along with a cool ship.

It's weird how building this new one makes me want to pull the other one out and build that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

, but what the gently caress am I suppose to do with 8 extra license plates?

Go on the run.