Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I've tried to get into 3K a couple of times but bounced off because a lot of the mechanics seemed much more complex compared to hams, and the battles felt weird, is there a good campaign to ease into learning everything slowly?
I ended up needing a friend to coach me through the first few turns to better understand some of the little things they did with 3K, but once I broke through that wall I'm an absolute diehard fan. I think Gongsun Zan is a good starter faction because he's up in the corner and has a neat unique cav archer unit. You have a relative that you have a NAP with to your north (farther into the corner) and he will betray you if you end up at war with Yuan Shao unless you get a better diplomatic agreement with him.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the fundamental core of diplomacy is being obtuse, come on. like complaining that there's killing
Uh, what? I'm talking about situations where a faction has no army, only one settlement which is a minor tier 1 one settlement that was just sacked, no friends, has received a gift from me every turn for the past 50 turns.... and still is not willing to sign a trade agreement. Then they declare war on me the next turn *despite not having an army*. Yeah maybe between people you have to be nuanced to not show your hand, but with AI? Come the gently caress on. They can see the whole map and act based on what you do with your armies that they shouldnt be able to see and have built in logic that says "this is total war, an AI faction has to declare war on the player this turn", which makes no sense.

And yes, I've tested it: If you hit end turn and faction x declares on you, if you load the end-of-turn autosave and end your turn again, faction x will declare war on you again. But if you load the autosave and send faction x a gift? Then faction y declares war on you. But guess what? If you load the autosave and send a gift for faction x and y, then faction z will declare war on you. So yeah, its loving obtuse and arguing that its supposed to be that way is dumb because other strategy games are not this loving stupid when it comes to diplomacy.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

well confederations shouldn't be super simple or you essentially power level through the mid game near instantaneously

generally you need high relations and they're losing a war. I generally get military alliance and declare war on a bunch of nerds to make that happen
Where did I say that confederations should be super simple? I'm talking about a faction that has 2 low tier settlements with no economic buildings that support 3 full stack armies not willing to confederate despite being allied and we have like 800 relations because I've sent them a bunch of gifts. I'm not saying I want it to be simple, I am saying I want it to be possible. The only way to get that faction to confederate is to find a way to get their armies killed, which limits my gameplay because it means I cant conquer anything near them or they'll never lose anything. As a major faction with a LL you'd think I'd be able to confederate minor factions better but good loving luck getting Barak Varr to confederate as KaK if you beat up Grimgrog and Azhag before they get to Barak Varr or as Katarin confederating the Brotherhood of the Bear if you rush up that way to save their asses from the Baersonlings.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Maybe it’s difficulty related (I’m only playing on hard campaign difficulty) but I haven’t had any real issue hoovering up Cathayan minors in my current game. Only my brother holds out.

That said I’d be a big fan of confederation being disincentivized and vassalization being emphasized more and more. I know CA has some work to do to make that work better, but if they can do that I think it’d be overall more fun in a lot of ways.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
As I blow through some final pre-IE campaign play to remind myself how to play the game, I still find myself amused at how horrifically bad the layouts of Cathayan settlements are from a defender's standpoint. They're all really pretty but are frequently designed in ways that benefit the attacker more than the defender - lots of bridged areas that block incoming ranged fire from above, absolutely terrible tower positioning, and tons of very wide streets with multiple routes that make choke pointing difficult to impossible. You can take Nan Gau almost trivially as Kairos by simply running your dudes up the giant covered ramp that exists in the middle of the city for no reason because two thirds of the Cathayan ranged units can't even hit you.

Truly a triumph of form over function.

Anno posted:

Maybe it’s difficulty related (I’m only playing on hard campaign difficulty) but I haven’t had any real issue hoovering up Cathayan minors in my current game. Only my brother holds out.

That said I’d be a big fan of confederation being disincentivized and vassalization being emphasized more and more. I know CA has some work to do to make that work better, but if they can do that I think it’d be overall more fun in a lot of ways.

Remove confederation as a mechanic, have you automatically gain access to the LLs of same-race factions that die, play up vassalization enormously.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I came from Rome 1 and Shogun 2 so I didn't realize confederation was a mechanic so I assumed the goal was to steamroll everyone and paint the map like always. I'm still not really sure what condeferation adds to the series in terms of gameplay but I admit I don't understand it. Use the poorly implemented total war diplomacy system to force friendly factions to join your territory? Improved vassals but then you also get their legendary heroes? Cool I guess but diplomacy has always been very weak in the TW series in my opinion.

that said I don't plan to actually play this game until immortal empires is released so my opinion is uninformed

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I've always enjoyed that the Empire is one of, if not the most popular factions in the game but 6 years on have yet to receive an FLC lord. They also received a rework that somehow made their campaign less enjoyable and flexible.

Edit: Also with Festus, Khazrak and Drycha starting within the Empire I am going to bet that Imperial Authority will be in the negative within 10 turns as Electors eat poo poo.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 4, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

99pct of germs posted:

Edit: Also with Festus, Khazrak and Drycha starting within the Empire I am going to bet that Imperial Authority will be in the negative within 10 turns as Electors eat poo poo.

You say that as though it's a bad thing. Franz campaign gets better the more everything is on fire from the empire being attacked by diverse enemies from every direction.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 4, 2022

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Oh I agree but not when you're eating some of CA's famous Arbitrary Hindrances because of things outside of your control, ie. idiot AI factions losing their capitols <20 turns in. Now you're -5% tax rate, -5 PO, growth etc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

palindrome posted:

I came from Rome 1 and Shogun 2 so I didn't realize confederation was a mechanic so I assumed the goal was to steamroll everyone and paint the map like always. I'm still not really sure what condeferation adds to the series in terms of gameplay but I admit I don't understand it. Use the poorly implemented total war diplomacy system to force friendly factions to join your territory? Improved vassals but then you also get their legendary heroes? Cool I guess but diplomacy has always been very weak in the TW series in my opinion.

that said I don't plan to actually play this game until immortal empires is released so my opinion is uninformed

Confederation is 99% of the time just a very roundabout and frustrating way to let people collect legendary lords like pokemon. Very occasionally you'll get lucky and confederate some random minor that has some reasonably built up and intact towns, but this will generally only happen if the AI is fighting a war and loses basically their entire military.

You could remove confederation completely and just let people get LLs when their respective factions die and I don't think most people would mind.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kanos posted:

You could remove confederation completely and just let people get LLs when their respective factions die and I don't think most people would mind.

Isn't there a mod like this already? Anyway, I would prefer a bit more of an involved thing, where if a legendary lord's faction is destroyed, another faction (or maybe just a player faction or a race leader/unifier type faction) can re-recruit them by fulfilling certain conditions, like having a specific building or controlling a specific settlement.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ham 2 just got a 9GB update, no notes yet

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Kazzah posted:

New ads for WH3

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

IE getting naval combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7bOEQKyOEU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno how those skinks don't fall off, the way that dinosaur is flailing around. Maybe they're tied to the howdah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I imagine skinks have big chameleon grippers.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno how those skinks don't fall off, the way that dinosaur is flailing around. Maybe they're tied to the howdah

Howdah heck do those skinks hold on?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Warhammer 2 mod question. Is there a mod out there that makes razed settlements extremely difficult for the AI to resettle? Norsca is a fun battle army but their campaign is absolutely awful thanks to the resettlement blitz the AI goes on.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm trying Cathay after bouncing off this game hard at release. Am I supposed to just hang out with two provinces? I'm surrounded by trade partners with nothing to do.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Not that I know of.

If you can befriend a beastmen though, that tends to help.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Is there any way to make Giants good? What if they just gave them 40% missile resistance?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm trying Cathay after bouncing off this game hard at release. Am I supposed to just hang out with two provinces? I'm surrounded by trade partners with nothing to do.

With Cathay, you're supposed to be fighting the other Cathayans/unifying the nation while also fending off attacks from Chaos, Greenskins, Skaven, and Ogres. But it's also very easy to end up friends with all the other Cathayans and sitting around hitting end turn 20 times in a row, as you're finding out. I think Zhao Ming is especially susceptible to this since he gets a diplomatic bonus with Ogres (so they don't attack him) and he's not near the wall. I think Cathay will be a lot more fun when Immortal Empires is added because there will be more enemies and new ways to expand, so even if you end up making friends with the rest of Cathay rather than forcefully subjecting them, you'll at least be able to sail around and fight elves, lizards, mummies, etc.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there any way to make Giants good? What if they just gave them 40% missile resistance?

the main giant problem is the animation

Making them HP sponges with low armor kinda works since it would require people to bring more higher DPS sources which hopefully would be archers and not gun lines

Adding wall breaker to them is a good change since it is a quick way in for sieges

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Grumio posted:

Howdah heck do those skinks hold on?

:discourse:

I feel we need more Lizardmen humor to celebrate the return of the best race with immortal empires.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

KPC_Mammon posted:

The ideal min-max method to beat the RoC campaign gates nonsense is to hold 2-3 bread basket provinces, head in as soon as they spawn and seal the gates behind yourself. That can be boring though, so if you're Zhao consider expanding(fight your sister, the ogres, the other Cathay minors) and if you're Meow be sure to take all three walls by diplomacy or force, on VH I'd almost always retake them from Chaos(the Tzeentch minor or the invading Norscans.) ... Then I'd hold my 3 gates with a full stack on each with significant -upkeep and take 3-4 breadbasket provinces to wait :v:

Also consider heavy modding to remove RoC gimmicks and give yourself better victory conditions. Remember that Ogres are very neutral. You can cut a path through your neighbors and other Ogres will only get mad if they had pre-existing diplomatic agreements with those guys. Ogres fight each other, everybody fights Ogres if they're neighbors.. Ogres. You can say "I will beat up everybody but Greasus and this convenient minor ogre tribe that helps secure a mountain pass as a buffer state for me", for example, and cut a path down south.

Or you can use your diplomatic cushiness to send Zhao on a big adventure down south. The Mountains of Mourn lead to lizardmen and greenskins down south! Take a province as your new starting point once you get past Greasus' land and go wild! All it costs is the move time and temporary trespassing malus if you can't get the Military Access.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kazzah posted:

Reddit says it’s probably language localization. Nothing of substance for most people.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doomykins posted:

Or you can use your diplomatic cushiness to send Zhao on a big adventure down south. The Mountains of Mourn lead to lizardmen and greenskins down south! Take a province as your new starting point once you get past Greasus' land and go wild! All it costs is the move time and temporary trespassing malus if you can't get the Military Access.
Or if they keep the RoC mechanics on, you can just teleportal over to the Darklands.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've been having a very fun game as Crone and got to Ulthuan to find some Wood Elves had taken about a third of it. Am army of Sisters on dragon, Ariel, Treeman and one unit of archers has been attacking me at Griffon Gate, and I don't think I can actually win this defence no matter what? The Sisters have the Sword of Khaine, I've tried the fight a couple of times, the second time I nearly killed them and they just recover health, repeatedly? I've even raised a Death Sorceress to leach them and a Black Ark to blitz the archers (who can stand between my defence towers out of range of my crossbows) but just can't kill the dragon... might have to send the file as a disaster to the old Legend..

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Another thing I've done to make Cathay more entertaining is to use the "change starting settlement" mod and plop my lord down in Erengrad, Sylvania, or Marienburg to start. But at that point that's obviously not an actual Cathay campaign. You can also use the portal mechanic to accomplish the same thing, and launch an invasion of wherever you feel like.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kazzah posted:

9 gigs all applying Arghy's buffs to Dawi

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Leal posted:

9 gigs all applying Arghy's buffs to Dawi

No you see, slayers need grudgerakers to fight the orc Goku mod I installed.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Kanos posted:

Confederation is 99% of the time just a very roundabout and frustrating way to let people collect legendary lords like pokemon. Very occasionally you'll get lucky and confederate some random minor that has some reasonably built up and intact towns, but this will generally only happen if the AI is fighting a war and loses basically their entire military.

It also feels like a way to let you avoid doing a lot of lore unfriendly same faction fights in certain areas; beating up every high elf on the donut or thrashing every elector count probably isn't the most fun gameplay. Really though, any faction with a mechanic that forces confederations outside of the standard diplomacy screen are a lot more enjoyable.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kazzah posted:

Apparently they released WH2 on the Microsoft store, so it's likely related to that somehow.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Where did I say that confederations should be super simple? I'm talking about a faction that has 2 low tier settlements with no economic buildings that support 3 full stack armies not willing to confederate despite being allied and we have like 800 relations because I've sent them a bunch of gifts. I'm not saying I want it to be simple, I am saying I want it to be possible. The only way to get that faction to confederate is to find a way to get their armies killed, which limits my gameplay because it means I cant conquer anything near them or they'll never lose anything. As a major faction with a LL you'd think I'd be able to confederate minor factions better but good loving luck getting Barak Varr to confederate as KaK if you beat up Grimgrog and Azhag before they get to Barak Varr or as Katarin confederating the Brotherhood of the Bear if you rush up that way to save their asses from the Baersonlings.

the problem I'm hearing is that the faction you want to confederate feels safe. so from their pov you're their sugar daddy giving them cash and they have nothing to fear really, so why change the relationship if it's working out for them. this is why I go the aggro route and force them into multiple wars. it's more reliable and it can make you some new friends

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Vagabong posted:

thrashing every elector count probably isn't the most fun gameplay

Speak for yourself.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

If they further expand on the Empire's campaign mechanics in the future (I hope so), I hope for a full blown civil war type system, maybe even religious unrest/reformation (as I think that's supposed to be a thing alongisde the spread of printing and literacy in an obvious IRL parallel), and a proper contest over the Imperial title between Karl Franz and Boris Todbringer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Toddy's quite burly with his regen sword so I can see him doing fairly well in that matchup even if he doesn't have as good combat stats.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Randarkman posted:

If they further expand on the Empire's campaign mechanics in the future (I hope so), I hope for a full blown civil war type system, maybe even religious unrest/reformation (as I think that's supposed to be a thing alongisde the spread of printing and literacy in an obvious IRL parallel), and a proper contest over the Imperial title between Karl Franz and Boris Todbringer.

my man karl already has:

secessionists, marienburg, vampire counts, norsca, skullsmasherz, rakarth, crooked moon, all sorts of beastymens, dumb as gently caress elector states, chaos and occasionally grimgor

not sure he needs a realm divide on top of it too

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Randarkman posted:

Karl and Todd directly competing for imperial authority. Only when you've brought 80+ % of the electors or territory it forces the final confrontation.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Looks like Valkia's start got leaked: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/wg7sq9/valkia_leaked_start_position/

Malekith in shambles.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

No you see, slayers need grudgerakers to fight the orc Goku mod I installed.

Goku iz da best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ammanas posted:

my man karl already has:

secessionists, marienburg, vampire counts, norsca, skullsmasherz, rakarth, crooked moon, all sorts of beastymens, dumb as gently caress elector states, chaos and occasionally grimgor

not sure he needs a realm divide on top of it too

You're wrong. Karl can take it, dude. Pile on the pain.