Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Captain America 1, Thor 1, and Eternals are the only MCU movies I didn't see in theaters. Eternals is dead last in the MCU for me, even below The Incredible Hulk, The Dark World, and Age of Ultron.

I knew nothing about Eternals before the movie and none of them really endeared to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Eternals is bad, but it's mediocre and, to me at least, that's the worst thing a piece of media can be. At least actual bad things can be enjoyed in a fun "so bad it's good" way.

Parkingtigers posted:

But then, I know my opinion will be ignored because I'm also in the very lonely defense force for Cats 2019 which, no, gently caress you, will be looked back on as a cult classic one day.

I thought it already was? Or do you mean people will enjoy it unironically?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 4, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eternals is like Thor: Dark World in that I can tell you I watched it but can't tell you anything about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Reuters confirms that WB is planning to announce "a new strategy" for streaming today on their public media and earnings call.

- HBOMax is officially dead and will be folded into Discovery+, they are considering giving Discovery+ a new name after the merge.

- They are not only eliminating the scripted content streaming division, but also the unscripted streaming content division at HBOMax to fold it into the existing unscripted content division at Discovery.

- Firm commitments to no streaming exclusive movies or same day streaming releases going forward.

- Considering (but, not confirmed) a new free, but ad-supported, streaming service for WB's "classic" movies.

- All the media departments (movie, TV, digital, and gaming) will be vertically integrated and working together to create tie-in content for big IPs they own. Also looking into how to merge/tie-in departments that exist at both Discovery and Warner.

- They plan to slash executive compensation, engage in a wave of layoffs, and find ways to cancel expensive long-term contracts that the previous management signed (particularly the $250 million exclusivity deal with JJ Abrams and his production company).

- They have hired back the former WB Studio Executive who worked on Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings to help guide the movie division. They want to focus exclusively on huge blockbusters and existing IP that does not require them to pay for a license in order to make fewer movies, but safer and larger profits per project, with the movie division.

quote:

Warner Bros Discovery expected to unveil new streaming strategy

Warner Bros Discovery Inc (WBD.O) is expected to discuss the new streaming strategy for the merged company on Thursday when it reports second-quarter earnings, four sources familiar with the plans told Reuters.

The company is likely to provide additional details about its plans to bring together the HBO Max service's collection of dramas, comedies, movies with the reality programs of Discovery+. The pricing and the name for the new streaming service are still being debated internally, according to two sources familiar with the discussions. The name and the pricing are unlikely to be announced on Thursday.

Warner Bros Discovery also is considering free, ad-supported services that would exist alongside its subscription service, though no announcement is planned. One source said among the ideas being discussed is a service built on Warner Bros' library of classic movies, which currently attract little notice inside HBO Max.

The plans are the culmination of CEO David Zaslav and his team's examination of WarnerMedia's film, television, digital and gaming businesses since the deal closed on April 8. The executives were seeking to understand how these units work and how best to combine WarnerMedia's operations with those of Discovery, said one executive familiar with the process.

Areas of overlap - such as the unscripted television unit behind such HBO Max reality shows as "FBoy Island" and "The Hype" - are likely to be eliminated, given Discovery's strength in the television genre, said the executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Layoffs are expected in the coming months, two of the sources said, as Zaslav looks to cut costs and deliver the $3 billion in savings he promised investors once the merger closed.

The company's famously frugal CEO, David Zaslav, also has evaluated executive compensation and put talent pacts under a microscope. One such deal that received scrutiny was the $250 million agreement WarnerMedia struck in 2019 to become the exclusive home of filmmaker J.J. Abrams and his production company, Bad Robot. It walked away from "Demimonde," a science fiction series for HBO with an estimated $200 million budget.

For help in evaluating its motion picture business, Zaslav hired former Warner Bros studio president Alan Horn, who oversaw the "Harry Potter" and "Lord of the Rings" franchises, as a consultant to help shape strategy.

Warner Bros Discovery is pivoting away form expensive, direct-to-streaming movies like "Batgirl," a $90 million movie based on the DC Comics character and featured "In the Heights" star Leslie Grace and Michael Keaton as Batman.

The film was scheduled for HBO Max later this year. But the studio scrapped the film after negative feedback from test screenings suggested it needed more work - an added expense the studio was unwilling to incur, according to one source with knowledge of the decision.

In the future, big-budget movies will enjoy a traditional theatrical run before reaching the streaming service, said one person familiar with Zaslav's thinking, marking a big change from the previous regime.

Analysts expect Warner Bros Discovery to report second- quarter revenue of $11.84 billion and per-share earnings of 1 cent, according to Refinitiv data.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/warner-bros-discovery-expected-unveil-new-streaming-strategy-2022-08-04/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 4, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

RIP WB

What a sad ending to one the oldest and most celebrated film studios. Carved and feasted upon.

It's gonna be very interesting to see how they spin the next DC Fandome (if they even do it) when massive chunks of the stuff teased in the last one is now gone.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Arist posted:

Eternals was fine imo

Yeah. It was a little meandering and probably should have been a series on D+. But it's fine. I think the way they did super speed with Makkari is still the best way it's been shown on film.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
so canceling hbo max then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah. It was a little meandering and probably should have been a series on D+. But it's fine. I think the way they did super speed with Makkari is still the best way it's been shown on film.

Yeah that was the highlight for sure

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shindragon posted:

so canceling hbo max then.

Technically, HBOMax won't exist anymore to cancel. But, all of the HBOMax content (except, apparently, the "classic" WB movies) and Discovery content will be on one new platform with a new name. They just won't have HBOMax exclusive movies anymore and once a movie leaves theaters it will be up on the new streaming service shortly after.

They are merging Discovery+ and HBOMax to create a new platform. I feel like it would be crazy to ditch the HBO branding entirely for whatever their new platform name is, but who knows?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Parkingtigers posted:

I totally get why a lot of people would bounce off Eternals though, because that's how I feel about that kind of comic book. But then, I know my opinion will be ignored because I'm also in the very lonely defense force for Cats 2019 which, no, gently caress you, will be looked back on as a cult classic one day.

release the butthole cut

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I keep seeing "vertically integrated" in these announcements.

Can someone please dumb this down for me?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm sure the new combined streaming service that will be neither Discovery+ nor HBOMax will have a cool creative name befitting the fun & fresh new direction. Something like Jorgle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Basically everything is a tie in. Like how there were DC comic books about the Arrowverse version of characters but they want that to be the only thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CzarChasm posted:

They make movies, video games, TV shows in tandem and with the teams sharing information during development. So, that each product can be released around the same time and feature/coordinate around the same plot, actors, release dates, etc.

You know how a lot of licensed tie-in video games or novels for movies either come out a year after the movie or have nothing to do with the movie? It's because they are developed by third-parties who buy the license after the movie is out and have nothing to do with the team who made the original product. This is to make sure they are produced to "compliment" each other, all done in-house by WB, and be strategically released/marketed/etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 4, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

DC writes a comic book which gets made into a movie which has a video game adaptation, all of which is owned by WB

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm posted:

Business term for owning most or all of the process of making a good or providing a service. If your french fry business was vertically integrated your company would own the farm that grows the potatoes. Like for their videogames they won't license to another studio but make them all in-house.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Opopanax posted:

DC writes a comic book which gets made into a movie which has a video game adaptation, all of which is owned by WB

This is the much more succinct version of my answer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Compare to horizontal integration, which is something like Disney buying Fox.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The new management is making some radical changes all at once, but also holy poo poo how bad was the previous WB management at managing finances?

They signed a $250 million deal with JJ Abrams to make "Demimonde" and then decided to walk away from it. They were also considering giving Abrams an extra $200 million for the budget for the show.

They also offered Abrams HALF A BILLION for an exclusivity contract.

They were also apparently SHOCKED that they didn't make the standard "double budget" profit of $140 million on the $70 million they put into Zach Snyder's Justice League that only released on Blu-ray and streaming.

And they were prepared to pay the Game of Thrones guys a quarter of a billion for the exclusive rights to their "What if the south won the civil war and it turned out mostly fine?" TV series that they eventually had to back away from.

Not to mention the whole DCEU saga and the fact that they were surprised that their $45 million per hour of content streaming only TV show ended up not making its budget back. Did they at least consult an accountant or google how much money a movie makes in theaters vs. streaming?

Just astonishingly bad with money.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 4, 2022

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

While you’re not wrong on any count, it still just seems par for the course. Amazon burning money on LOTR, Netflix giving us THE GRAY MAN CINEMATIC UNIVERSE, just all streaming places scrambling for relevance.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cael posted:

While you’re not wrong on any count, it still just seems par for the course. Amazon burning money on LOTR, Netflix giving us THE GRAY MAN CINEMATIC UNIVERSE, just all streaming places scrambling for relevance.

A lot of those places are burning money for prestige projects with the expectation of losing money.

WB execs were apparently shocked that the Snyder Cut didn't generate at least $140 million in revenue with no theatrical release.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
But they had thousands of fans asking for it on Twitter! THose fans only needed to buy a few thousand HBOMax subs each!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
A decade from now we are going to find out the bots used to push for the Snyder cut non-stop were all bought and financed by some mentally ill lawyer in LA.

Lmaa at the Snyder cut destroying the WB.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really can't wait for the return of bad movie tie in video games.

The biggest worry I have is they shoving out a film that has zero budget of Superman or someone else big, and it flopping massively and the new powers that be going "naw, lets just shelve the whole thing" and no more DC films.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The MCU broke so many brains. Everyone is trying to copy the success but going about it the wrong way or wanting it to be instantly as popular.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I really can't wait for the return of bad movie tie in video games.

The biggest worry I have is they shoving out a film that has zero budget of Superman or someone else big, and it flopping massively and the new powers that be going "naw, lets just shelve the whole thing" and no more DC films.

Their strategy is the exact opposite of that. Only release guaranteed big budget stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well it would make sense to release big budget stuff in theaters and smaller budget non IP driven stuff on streaming but I'm not some big-wig super CEO venture capitalist ubermensch so what do I know?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also I guess Gaga as Harley is official.

https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/1555222357882458114

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ7oht6TD9c

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Their strategy is the exact opposite of that. Only release guaranteed big budget stuff.

It sounded like they were only going for big box office films, not that they were going to be willing to give directors whatever they wanted in terms of budget.

Discovery isn't well known for high budget productions.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I look forward to the big budget adaptation of Fast n Loud

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

this one is safe since the first one made a billion dollars, but bears noting that Zaslav probably wouldn't have greenlit the original in the first place given that it's a DC film that only cost $70 million

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Codependent Poster posted:

The MCU broke so many brains. Everyone is trying to copy the success but going about it the wrong way or wanting it to be instantly as popular.

If anyone else had been in charge of the MCU the moment Endgame was done they would be screaming for the next Avengers movie with as close to the same lineup as they could get. Instead we got a lot of experimental movies & TV shows with relatively unknown characters.

Loki, WandaVision and Moon Knight have some really weird concepts in their center and it takes knowing the source material and trusting it to take the risk of producing them.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

TwoPair posted:

I thought it already was? Or do you mean people will enjoy it unironically?

Skimbleshanks: The Railway Cat* is, completely unironically, five of the finest minutes of cinema ever to grace a theater.

*the cat of the railway train.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

If anyone else had been in charge of the MCU the moment Endgame was done they would be screaming for the next Avengers movie with as close to the same lineup as they could get. Instead we got a lot of experimental movies & TV shows with relatively unknown characters.

Loki, WandaVision and Moon Knight have some really weird concepts in their center and it takes knowing the source material and trusting it to take the risk of producing them.

Which is funny because DC's best projects are the offbeat ones and not the big superhero centered ones, except for The Batman. Peacemaker probably never would have been made with the current guy in charge. Same with Harley, Doom Patrol, and Stargirl.

Also I really hate that they're gonna do Joker and Harley as a couple again. That concept just sucks. I'm sure it'll be a little different for the movie, but I don't have much faith it'll be done well. I'd rather it not be done at all.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Instead of Taxi Driver they're just gonna do One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest except the patient bangs the nurse this time

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I assume it’s actually gonna be a play on New York, New York. The Scorsese musical with De Niro and Liza Minelli.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1555295932153008129

I wonder if we're going to see the DCEU and the 90DFU merge in Crisis Event.

New service coming next summer.

https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1555296855680077826

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Shark Week "franchise" and "the 90 Day Fiance Universe", like c'mon that is indistinguishable from parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lobok posted:

The Shark Week "franchise" and "the 90 Day Fiance Universe", like c'mon that is indistinguishable from parody.

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1555298508407599104?s=21&t=9MFhe_soM2Q_D5UV8LqzyA

Like this is bizarre