Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

Magic: the Gathering - No Commander for Old Wizards.

I feel the same way - I played in a commander group with my friends and all it took was one player to start playing money for the game to sort of spiral out of control.

I was never a big fan, but that really cemented it for me. I do get the allure of established players be able to leverage their entire collection to get some use out of cards that haven't seen play in a while or never at all in constructed formats.

Yea, Commander is fun but if your whole group isn’t on the same page it kind of sucks. I have a pretty big playgroup of sickos who play CEDH and it’s basically my favourite format to play now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes that would be the point of my card.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lmfao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Ah I see

Man templating is super hard in MTG. The fact that they can get so many cards as concise as they can with some pretty complicated effects is pretty crazy

Now they just slam 3 paragraphs of text on a card and call it a day lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, my collector's boosters came in last Friday.

Would still love to have the actual deck show up, but thems the breaks

Reynold posted:

Yeah I got mine pretty quickly after they said they'd start shipping.

What the gently caress. :smith:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ilmucche posted:

i think if we're going to dig out weirdly worded cards then anything from before modern became a format is cheating lol

You'd be shocked how many 5th edition cards have identical oracle text to printed text. That's when they put in the legwork to standardize rules text.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You'd be shocked how many 5th edition cards have identical oracle text to printed text. That's when they put in the legwork to standardize rules text.

the one that always throws me is activated abilities with a cost of {0}, like I get it, it means you can just activate it whenever for no cost, but you'd think they'd've come up with a more elegant solution for that at some point. Nope, just spend your {0} mana.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Here have some Delirium as far as confusing words.

So the creature you take over, can't be destroyed? Only exiled if they wanted to prevent damage? Would infect kill them?

Here, more word salad.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 3, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jiro posted:

So the creature you take over, can't be destroyed? Only exiled if they wanted to prevent damage? Would infect kill them?

Here, more word salad.

No, no, and no

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jiro posted:

Here, more word salad.

I love this card

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wizards should make only good cards that I like. And also send me a million dollars
wizards should let me have a Super Toy Run through whatever warehouse they had that pallet of Legends booster boxes in

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jiro posted:

You don't take over a creature. You tap it. It can still be destroyed.
Where did you get exile from the text?
It will deal damage as infect counters, yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jiro posted:

Here, more word salad.

to be clear, i picked dead ringers because i knew the printed card text was the exact oracle text still. i don't think that applies to either of these cards.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

You don't take over a creature. You tap it. It can still be destroyed.
Where did you get exile from the text?
It will deal damage as infect counters, yes.

I was on a call when I posted Delirium, my attention was split. It was more of a question of since the creature you are tapping neither deals nor receives combat damage this turn, would a way of negating the damage be to exile the creature itself? I guess I'm hung up on the part that talks about combat damage, but I guess a damage spell would be able to kill it also since it's not during combat. I don't know I'm confused, Delirium is one of those cards I've always tried to fit into any deck with Red/Black colors in it as a SURPRISE kind of card if someone were to whip out a Blightsteel and go for lethal or some other threat and just have it turn on it's owner killing them instead.

Arivia posted:

to be clear, i picked dead ringers because i knew the printed card text was the exact oracle text still. i don't think that applies to either of these cards.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?printed=false&multiverseid=1631

As far as Gatherer goes, there's been no revisions to it.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 3, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jiro posted:

I was on a call when I posted Delirium, my attention was split. It was more of a question of since the creature you are tapping neither deals nor receives combat damage this turn, would a way of negating the damage be to exile the creature itself? I guess I'm hung up on the part that talks about combat damage, but I guess a damage spell would be able to kill it also since it's not during combat. I don't know I'm confused, Delirium is one of those cards I've always tried to fit into any deck with Red/Black colors in it as a SURPRISE kind of card if someone were to whip out a Blightsteel and go for lethal or some other threat and just have it turn on it's owner killing them instead.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?printed=false&multiverseid=1631

As far as Gatherer goes, there's been no revisions to it.

"Return to your hand all enchantments you both own and control, all Auras you own attached to permanents you control, and all Auras you own attached to attacking creatures your opponents control. Then destroy all other enchantments you control, all other Auras attached to permanents you control, and all other Auras attached to attacking creatures your opponents control."

That's significantly differently worded with updated language (Auras). Dead Ringers is exactly the same. I'm not talking something like Oubliette now working with phasing, to avoid accusations of dirty pool Dead Ringers was a good choice because the printed card is still completely correct today in 2022.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I don't know if an AI actually wrote this but it's hilarious either way.

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxtortion/status/1554568066486349825

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's not an AI, someone just lifted one of my posts for the first half.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ilmucche posted:

I love this card

it's big game in my sram deck. love it

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Arivia posted:

"Return to your hand all enchantments you both own and control, all Auras you own attached to permanents you control, and all Auras you own attached to attacking creatures your opponents control. Then destroy all other enchantments you control, all other Auras attached to permanents you control, and all other Auras attached to attacking creatures your opponents control."

That's significantly differently worded with updated language (Auras). Dead Ringers is exactly the same. I'm not talking something like Oubliette now working with phasing, to avoid accusations of dirty pool Dead Ringers was a good choice because the printed card is still completely correct today in 2022.

The gatherer wording is bizarre to me. Doesn’t “return all enchantments you both own and control” imply the following two lines as well as meaning that Auras you have cast on opponents creatures that are not attacking also get returned?

The way gatherer words it seems to suggest that a Pacifism I cast on my opponents creature would be destroyed since it is an aura on a permanent I do not control that is not attacking.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LeafHouse posted:

The gatherer wording is bizarre to me. Doesn’t “return all enchantments you both own and control” imply the following two lines as well as meaning that Auras you have cast on opponents creatures that are not attacking also get returned?

The way gatherer words it seems to suggest that a Pacifism I cast on my opponents creature would be destroyed since it is an aura on a permanent I do not control that is not attacking.

Its done that way for templating: It first lists everything that will return to your hand (and auras you control but don't own can't go to your hand) And then it lists everything that will be destroyed.
The Pacifism you cast on your opponent's creature is an enchantment you own and control, so it's litterally the first thing mentioned that goes to your hand.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

HootTheOwl posted:

Its done that way for templating: It first lists everything that will return to your hand (and auras you control but don't own can't go to your hand) And then it lists everything that will be destroyed.
The Pacifism you cast on your opponent's creature is an enchantment you own and control, so it's litterally the first thing mentioned that goes to your hand.

Yeah, that’s my point.

“Return to your hand all enchantments you both own and control”

Encompasses

“all Auras you own attached to permanents you control, and all Auras you own attached to attacking creatures your opponents control.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah, that’s my point.

“Return to your hand all enchantments you both own and control”

Encompasses

“all Auras you own attached to permanents you control, and all Auras you own attached to attacking creatures your opponents control.”

No no, I just realized the edgecase that's needed due to how the Legends card is worded.

You cast Holy strength on your Serra Angel

Then use Zedruu The Greathearted to give your opponent control of the Holy Strength. You own the Holy strength and the Serra Angel, but don't control the Holy Strength, so the first clause wouldn't return the Holy strength, but the all auras you own attached to permanents you control would.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 4, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kalli posted:

No no, I just realized the edgecase.

You cast Holy strength on your Serra Angel

Then use Zedruu The Greathearted to give your opponent control of the Holy Strength. You own the Holy strength and the Serra Angel, but don't control the Holy Strength, so the first clause wouldn't return the Holy strength, but the all auras you own attached to permanents you control would.

Also keep in mind it's from 1994 - one year before they put their brains together and came up with this templating on Icy Cauldron. They were still learning :shobon:

quote:

X,ocT: Put a charge counter on Ice Cauldron, and put a spell card face up on Ice Cauldron. Note the type and amount of mana used to pay this activation cost. Use this ability only if there are no charge counters on Ice Cauldron. You may play that spell card as though it were in your hand.
ocT: Remove the charge counter from Ice Cauldron to add mana of the type and amount last used to put a charge counter on Ice Cauldron to your mana pool. This mana is usable only to cast the spell on top of Ice Cauldron.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Devor posted:

Also keep in mind it's from 1994 - one year before they put their brains together and came up with this templating on Icy Cauldron. They were still learning :shobon:

Oh I know, I was playing back then, Nothing quite like opening a pack and seeing something with a dozen lines of text that take you a minute to read, another to parse, then dropping it into a box never to see the light of day again

If you read that and went, hey that's not the worst card ever, note that if your opponent doesn't pay anything for a creature, it still finishes combat before being destroyed.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 4, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

that's just wretched

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wrong thread

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

oh man, Ice Age was just lousy with novel length card text that didn't actually do anything.

Snowfall, Balduvian Shaman, Winter's Chill, Ice Cauldron, Phantasmal Mount, Krovikan Sorcerer and that's just the blue cards

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A Moose posted:

oh man, Ice Age was just lousy with novel length card text that didn't actually do anything.

Snowfall, Balduvian Shaman, Winter's Chill, Ice Cauldron, Phantasmal Mount, Krovikan Sorcerer and that's just the blue cards

And then there's the cards that did things, but confusingly with very similar effects to other cards

Like these two rares

Naked singularity 5
Cumulative upkeep 3
changes mana from lands to:
W > R
U > G
B > W
R > U
G > B

Reality Twist UUU
Cumulative Upkeep 1UU
changes mana from lands to:
W > R
B > G
R > W
G > B

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This had me going for half a second. We can only hope...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JUDGE, please check my opponent's trade binder for Volcanic Islands, I think he's cheating

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Devor posted:

JUDGE, please check my opponent's trade binder for Volcanic Islands, I think he's cheating

That card isn't mine. I'm just holding it for a friend.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

kalel posted:

that's just wretched

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I love how old cards often have helpful lines of text to clarify some questions you never asked.

"The Wretched does not tap or untap those creatures."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Qwertycoatl posted:

I love how old cards often have helpful lines of text to clarify some questions you never asked.

Every card needs to start with the text "If opponent does not concede immediately,"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Qwertycoatl posted:

The rulebook back then was a thirty page insert so you had to explain all the rules on the card because there was nowhere else to explain it.

Players definitely needed to be told you don't keep the card after the game ends.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

This is just a British imp playing tag

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

The rulebook back then was a thirty page insert so you had to explain all the rules on the card because there was nowhere else to explain it.

Players definitely needed to be told you don't keep the card after the game ends.

That card was printed when the game was designed with ante in mind, though. May seem obvious to us but I doubt "own" and "control" had the same discrete meanings it does today.

Doesn't change the fact they put a whole buncha rules cards on poo poo in general though, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I love the OG playtesting story where Timewalk was instead templated as "Opponent loses next turn" and some playtesters thought that it meant "Opponent loses the game on their next turn"