Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really, if I was Mr Jump, I'd take the L, and have a thinner book if it ment getting rid of Earthchild.

Running with an arbitrary number of serials that must be in every week is backwards.

Earthchild sucking is a problem for every week that it's around.

Precedent for a thinner book is a problem forever.

There's a whole supply chain, from printers to customers, built around Jump being X pages for Y yen every week. Losing that means losing trust, while keeping Earthchild just means a lovely series, which Jump is no stranger to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That anthology 2000AD seems to have some catalog titles ready for if that kind of thing happens. Either a recurring series of shorter runs that can come and go, or a new shorter thing. And there's a stand-alone sci-fi story in there every week as well. Lotta wiggle room.

Reminds me, I enjoyed that Oda (One Piece) and Aoyama (Detective Conan) interview recently, fun read. I liked the talk of the rivalry between their different publications, his being Weekly Shonen Sunday. Apparently the other top two are Weekly Shonen Magazine and Weekly Young Jump. I wonder if the overall line-ups of more magazines will be as available as Jump's translated in the future. Though I'm sure many of them are as single books, just without the branding Shonen Jump has going on.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 1, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

That anthology 2000AD seems to have some catalog titles ready for if that kind of thing happens. Either a recurring series of shorter runs that can come and go, or a new shorter thing. And there's a stand-alone sci-fi story in there every week as well. Lotta wiggle room.

Jump already does that with one-shots when someone needs a break, or when a series goes on hiatus. We don't get most of them translated, but it provides a little flexibility.

However, they don't add potential sales from collected volumes, so even a bad series like Earthchild has more benefit to both the writers and the magazine.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle: Man, the author can definitely draw when he wants to. A lot of this stuff looks very cool. It's unfortunate that we literally don't give a crępe about Rayne. Mash met him...once? And he gave him a handkerchief.

Witch Watch: I think I'm getting bored, though this chapter did have a few laughs.

Doron:

amigolupus posted:

Doron Dororon: I can't tell if this is supposed to be the end of the first major arc, or if the author had to readjust their plans because they think they might get cancelled soon. Everyone's getting their big moments already, but some of them have only been introduced recently so it's a bit hard to get into it?
Doron has definitely been canceled, but it appears to be doing it's utmost to give it's story a proper ending. And based on how things are going I think he's going to pull it off, so I'm enjoying it.
That said, these fights are bad for me. They're just big explosions of lines everywhere with large attack names plastered over them. The fight scenes in this manga were never great, but these ones are just bad.

Super Smartphone: This is actually a cool resolution. I also noticed every super smartphone is unique (and absolutely tiny), but I wonder what conclusions Zenichiro is making out of this.

Roboco: Laughed out loud. I love these dumb rear end spoofs and I loved Bondo joining the bad guy routine

Sakamoto:I appreciate how much Sakamoto respects Shin. He knows perfectly well who the teacher is and that Shin currently has no chance, but he wants him to try and grow. :allears: He's a good dad.

Undead: Cool. Like I have nothing else to say about this. I love the designs, I love the powers. The fights have generally always been pretty good. The only bad thing is always Andy.

Earth Child:

amigolupus posted:

Earthchild: So all these years have passed, and the husband never told anyone about god and what they do? :lol:
I'll be honest, I'm still not sure if he hasn't told them? Everyone (including WASTE) instantly recognizes Earth Chan. But their general responses don't really line up to them knowing what she did to Reisuke.
Speaking off, I enjoy the implication that Albert's brother also got to talk to Earth Chan and was dumped into the erasure box. :allears: Now to be fair, that box is apparently everyone's ultimate destiny. Earth Child is bleak.
Actually, how is waste hearing everything Earth Chan is saying?
I wonder how dad's going to convince Earth Chan his love is strong enough to protect the world...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth TNT posted:

Mashle: Man, the author can definitely draw when he wants to. A lot of this stuff looks very cool. It's unfortunate that we literally don't give a crępe about Rayne. Mash met him...once? And he gave him a handkerchief.

The whole "older brother being mean to his younger brother" is done better in different works. It really doesn't work well in Mashle cause, like you said, we've barely seen him till now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto:I appreciate how much Sakamoto respects Shin. He knows perfectly well who the teacher is and that Shin currently has no chance, but he wants him to try and grow. :allears: He's a good dad.

That or Sakamoto was so traumatised that he refuses to get involved with the teacher in any way other than a "good luck buddy".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Earthchild sucking is a problem for every week that it's around.

Precedent for a thinner book is a problem forever.

There's a whole supply chain, from printers to customers, built around Jump being X pages for Y yen every week. Losing that means losing trust, while keeping Earthchild just means a lovely series, which Jump is no stranger to.

If they are as desperate as they are to publish EarthChild then there's far more problems than them being 17 pages short of an anthology.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao, dude it's a bad manga.

Plenty of em exist.

It's not that serious.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think part of the objection is that earthchild is a bad manga that somehow has clung to print despite multiple better manga getting cancelled in its place.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ayashimon died so that Earthchild could.....uuuuh....

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Apparently there was some talk online going on about the "under 19 club" last year for series cancelled before they hit 19 issues. Maybe WSJ didnt like the meme and they want earthchild to hit 20 issues before cancellation.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Being a U19er is more a vibe than a strict chapter limit.

Gold membership does require under 19 chapters, of course.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I just don't understand why Ayashimon was a priority to shove out the door over some other poo poo tbh

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
In my heart, Ayashimon just got to the start of the Hashihime rescue arc. Ten gets a chance to look cool while Maruo clowns on another enforcer out of sheer cussedness. Fox girl gets some character development following a conversation with Urara. Kotton and the bikers run afoul of the Onmyo cops traffic division. Maybe throw in a Kinnikuman reference, I dunno.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Faster manga, faster! Start the first chapter killing a general and then move on to fighting the final boss the next, if we're two chapters in and someone hasn't been killed, maimed, blinded, cursed or performed a betrayal than we're gonna lose sales!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Faster manga, faster! Start the first chapter killing a general and then move on to fighting the final boss the next, if we're two chapters in and someone hasn't been killed, maimed, blinded, cursed or performed a betrayal than we're gonna lose sales!

An ape will die on every page!

Alternate joke: That's Chainsaw Man's pacing, alright. Kill the hero in chapter 1, have him defeat his rival in chapter 3, achieve his main goal by chapter 12.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

amigolupus posted:

Witch Watch: The tall, older woman character's only 19? Get the gently caress outta here, Witch Watch.

Exactly my reaction. Like I get that to the kids, she seems like an older woman, but she's going to be learning from Nico and doesn't really seem any more mature than the others, so I'm not sure what she's bringing here other than being curvy. Maybe there's a twist coming, but idk.

I do trust Witch Watch, but it does feel like a misstep at the moment

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Witch Watch)honestly it feels like there’s gonna be a twist attached given how even ignoring how cliche the “older busty lady archetype” is she’d be like the only one without any buildup or prior relationship to Nico. Especially since even the manga lampshades how superfluous she is since Moi does all the mom stuff already.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the age thing is supposed to be a joke since the rest of the chapter was poking fun at the rest of the stuff she tries to bring to the table.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I think the age thing is supposed to be a joke since the rest of the chapter was poking fun at the rest of the stuff she tries to bring to the table.

Yeah, one of the characters even went "Wait. Nineteen?"

Even if it doesn't land, it's clearly a gag.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I feel like anytime you say to yourself “that’s stupid” with Witch Watch, that’s exactly the point.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean I kinda hope we're not on the "lesser witch tries to steal Nico's powers" train again, if only for a verity to the cast that's a little lacking right now, but I get the feeling that's exactly the case.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 2, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Jacked and the beanstalk is a great pun. Marriagetoxin is pretty good. (Also those insults..)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I really do think that 'Make the Exorcist Fall in Love' needs to be re-named 'The Divine Comedy' given how on the nose some of the moments are and not landing the intended mood to me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

There are currently rumors floating around that a Sakamoto Days anime may be getting announced soo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

I really do think that 'Make the Exorcist Fall in Love' needs to be re-named 'The Divine Comedy' given how on the nose some of the moments are and not landing the intended mood to me.

I mean, all the characters react appropriately to that and assume she’s abused.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm being to think the comic is suffering that problem where mere depiction of a bad thing is conflated as being endorsement.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought it was meant to be a comedic gag given Imuri's reactions.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

I mean, all the characters react appropriately to that and assume she’s abused.

Don't get me wrong, everyone treats it as horrible as it sounds. But it's so "in your face" that I kind of chuckled, probably says more about me than the writer.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There are currently rumors floating around that a Sakamoto Days anime may be getting announced soo

Kind of curious to see how the shifts in art style would be adapted. Also rendering some of that fight choreography is probably not easy. Interested!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Show ha shoten: the preceding duo wasn’t really bad. Just so different it killed the vibe. I do love how the author explains things here in such a way that it makes sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Show ha shoten: the preceding duo wasn’t really bad. Just so different it killed the vibe. I do love how the author explains things here in such a way that it makes sense.

I do kind of wish they hadn't spent so long on their routine though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I do kind of wish they hadn't spent so long on their routine though.

Same. Even if it was slightly superfluous I still enjoyed the backstory well enough, but the routine lasted too long.
The first time I felt something in this manga take too long.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MaTda-Ws3Y

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a kaiju 8 anime so soon is weird considering how slow paced the manga has been so far

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 4, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Plutonis posted:

a kaiju 8 manga so soon is weird considering how slow paced the manga has been so far

Mangaception.

Really though, there’s enough there you could do a 24 episode series and then go for another round in a couple years if you wanted to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they're probably a while off before it airs seeing as the teaser doesn't have any animation in it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/wcy2ek/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_35_august_1_2022/

There are 21 chapters this week instead of the 19-20 it's mostly been lately because there are 3 different one-shots and Black Clover is back. And that's with 3 series still on hiatus (including HxH, but there's some evidence that's actually coming back soon). The rule seems to be that there's at least 1 one-shot per week and a maximum of 22 chapters total. Meanwhile, Doron and Earthchild continue to be at the end of the magazine.

So...one or both of those will almost certainly get cancelled relatively soon, but it's hard to guess how soon. I guess it depends on when the series on hiatus come back and whether there are any promising new series to add.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Judging by how they've been ranking, once Doron and EC get axed, Smartphone and Alines won't be long for this world either. What a weird time for the magazine. Two serial underperformers barely hanging on and two thirds of their recent batch are doing poorly while the one that presumably isn't is on indefinite hiatus due to the author's health. There's also the very real possibility that Ruri Dragon never returns to the magazine either and they're forced to put it on Jump Plus instead with a more permissive schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ruflux posted:

Judging by how they've been ranking, once Doron and EC get axed, Smartphone and Alines won't be long for this world either. What a weird time for the magazine. Two serial underperformers barely hanging on and two thirds of their recent batch are doing poorly while the one that presumably isn't is on indefinite hiatus due to the author's health. There's also the very real possibility that Ruri Dragon never returns to the magazine either and they're forced to put it on Jump Plus instead with a more permissive schedule.

I think Smartphone will be fine, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. It seems to consistently be above High School Family, at least.