Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

So I've been meaning to build a Plex server for a while and since I got a new job with an actual salary I'm flush with reliable income, also the R5 5600G is dirt cheap now and seems like a good core to build it around. Mostly I'm wondering about cases, I don't have much experience with anything smaller than mid-towers and being a server I'm going to want to sling drives in it.

How much drive space do you need?

Is this going to serve any purpose other than a Plex server?

That case only has 2x3.5" drive bays, which may be too few depending on your planned Plex habits. I have 7x3.5" drives in my Fractal Define 7 ( https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7/black/ ), with tons of space for more.

Also, do you plan on using the iGPU? If you're doing any 4k transcode, it's going to be pretty rough on iGPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Two decades ago I dremeled the fan meshes of my case. It makes me sad to see something like this.

The fan rail seems to be the bigger problem. It impedes airflow enough that any air being moved struggles to get through the mesh. Having mesh in the exhaust is unnecessary anyway, and it's a little annoying that it isn't removable since it's integrated into the top panel. A simpler setup found in other cases where you just have metal grills integrated into the case, discrete screw holes for 140mm or 120mm fans (or radiators), and an optional filter that sits above that would've been preferable.

This is mostly all moot anyway since the airflow is excellent without using top exhaust. And you can just put higher-pressure 120mm fans in there instead if you want to use top exhaust.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 4, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

How much drive space do you need?

Is this going to serve any purpose other than a Plex server?

That case only has 2x3.5" drive bays, which may be too few depending on your planned Plex habits. I have 7x3.5" drives in my Fractal Define 7 ( https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7/black/ ), with tons of space for more.

Also, do you plan on using the iGPU? If you're doing any 4k transcode, it's going to be pretty rough on iGPU.

I need at least 4tb, ideally 6-8tb. My media library right now is housed on an external 4tb drive that's almost full so 2 3.5" bays should be enough if I jump up to using 8tb drives. I don't plan on using the iGPU for much, depending how the GPU market plays out over the next few months the 2060 Super that's currently in my main PC will end up in this if I end up upgrading. I'm mostly getting the 5600G because at £130 it's a decent cheap processor, cheaper than the 12100 and with this not having a GPU in it for at least the first few months I want something with an iGPU. Most of my media library is 1080p with only a few movies at 4K so 4K transcoding isn't an immediate priority.

It might also just end up being connected to the TV and used as an HTPC, maybe with some emulation on the side but I know even less about those cases except that they exist.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

I need at least 4tb, ideally 6-8tb. My media library right now is housed on an external 4tb drive that's almost full so 2 3.5" bays should be enough if I jump up to using 8tb drives. I don't plan on using the iGPU for much, depending how the GPU market plays out over the next few months the 2060 Super that's currently in my main PC will end up in this if I end up upgrading. I'm mostly getting the 5600G because at £130 it's a decent cheap processor, cheaper than the 12100 and with this not having a GPU in it for at least the first few months I want something with an iGPU. Most of my media library is 1080p with only a few movies at 4K so 4K transcoding isn't an immediate priority.

It might also just end up being connected to the TV and used as an HTPC, maybe with some emulation on the side but I know even less about those cases except that they exist.

5600G is totally fine.

My point with the drives is at 2x3.5", if you run out of space on your drives you are replacing the drives, rather than supplementing with new space. If your fine with replacing drives when you need a storage upgrade than you'll be fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

njsykora posted:

So I've been meaning to build a Plex server for a while and since I got a new job with an actual salary I'm flush with reliable income, also the R5 5600G is dirt cheap now and seems like a good core to build it around. Mostly I'm wondering about cases, I don't have much experience with anything smaller than mid-towers and being a server I'm going to want to sling drives in it.

Any 10th gen Intel chip for a Plex server would benefit greatly from Intel's hardware transcoding (11th and 12th gen Intel are apparently wonky with Plex's hardware accelerated transcode implementation). Though, this is assuming you have Plex Pass (hw acceralation is a Plex Pass-only feature). Just something to consider if you plan on replacing content in your Plex library with 4K media and need to transcode down from 4K HDR to tonemapped 1080p SDR.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It looks like Seasonic has released another weird case + PSU combo, the Arc Q503. Like their previous design, this is centered around a split power supply where cables plug into a separate power distribution hub, which in theory allows for shorter and more orderly cable runs. In practice, it just looks like extra work to achieve the same thing as a case with decent cable routing. The distribution hub looks less integrated into the case's design than their previous attempt, the Syncro. And the general case layout and features seem way more standard and boring than the Syncro too (the Syncro was inverted for some reason!), with probably worse airflow. I appreciate that they keep trying new things though, even if the prices are always stupidly expensive.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It looks like Seasonic has released another weird case + PSU combo, the Arc Q503. Like their previous design, this is centered around a split power supply where cables plug into a separate power distribution hub, which in theory allows for shorter and more orderly cable runs. In practice, it just looks like extra work to achieve the same thing as a case with decent cable routing. The distribution hub looks less integrated into the case's design than their previous attempt, the Syncro. And the general case layout and features seem way more standard and boring than the Syncro too (the Syncro was inverted for some reason!), with probably worse airflow. I appreciate that they keep trying new things though, even if the prices are always stupidly expensive.

Seems like less work to me. I hate managing power cables. And usually what happens is I’m forced to buy power cable extensions because the PSU cable length always ends up coming short.

That said, this case design is barf. They need to hire some designers. This things design is straight out of the early 2000s.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

If you're lucky enough to live near one, Microcenter has EVGA 3090Ti cards for $1399.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/648572/evga-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-ti-ftw3-black-triple-fan-24gb-gddr6x-pcie-40-graphics-card

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

More GPU deals:

3060 Ti FE in stock at best buy (in-store pickup): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...=0&mpid=2992781

Other FEs have been in stock off-and-on, but the 3060 Ti has been less common. Its AIB models have also seen more stubborn price inflation than the other 30-series GPUs, so getting one for $400 is a nice deal.

EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra for $475 after associate code (discount viewable at checkout) with free e-waste keyboard: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3755-KL&associatecode=SG6LFX7LRLICR2Y

EVGA 2060 6GB for $204 after associate code: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-2062-KR&associatecode=SG6LFX7LRLICR2Y

Free shipping on EVGA orders currently, too. The 2060 is not an amazing card in this day and age, but that's probably the best value you'll find at $200. The RX 6600 is 25% more expensive currently at $250 while being maybe 10 - 15% more performant. You can find some 1660s and 1660 Supers at around this price while being substantially worse than the 2060 and possessing fewer features (no DLSS or ray tracing, though the 2060 kinda sucks at RT). This card also shits all over the 3050 in terms of price-to-performance, being cheaper and faster. This is a single-fan model, but it has an oversized heatsink (it's 2.75 slots!), so it's probably fine. (edit: the dual-fan model is only $10 more. it adds an extra fan but takes away a good bit of the heatsink's girth. it's probably a little quieter, but not by a lot. i don't expect either card to be particularly noisy)

(not my codes, and evga no longer offers kickbacks via their associates program)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 6, 2022

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Newegg is poopy but here's a MSI 3090ti for $1249 (after $50 rebate)

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...7-728-_-Product

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bloopsy posted:

Newegg is poopy but here's a MSI 3090ti for $1249 (after $50 rebate)

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...7-728-_-Product

I'll do you one better: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=24G-P5-4983-KR&associatecode=SG6LFX7LRLICR2Y

EVGA 3090 Ti FTW3 for $1150 ($1115 after associate code discount)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I'll do you one better: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=24G-P5-4983-KR&associatecode=SG6LFX7LRLICR2Y

EVGA 3090 Ti FTW3 for $1150 ($1115 after associate code discount)

Lmao, they're finally at the price MSRP should have been.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Lmao, they're finally at the price MSRP should have been.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > PC Building Megathread: Lmao, they're finally at the price MSRP should have been

Clevername Lookhere
Jan 9, 2006

More GPU deals:

3060 Ti FE in stock at best buy (in-store pickup): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...=0&mpid=2992781

Other FEs have been in stock off-and-on, but the 3060 Ti has been less common. Its AIB models have also seen more stubborn price inflation than the other 30-series GPUs, so getting one for $400 is a nice deal.

EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra for $475 after associate code (discount viewable at checkout) with free e-waste keyboard: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3755-KL&associatecode=SG6LFX7LRLICR2Y

(not my codes, and evga no longer offers kickbacks via their associates program)

Wow. I've been waiting a while for a < $500 deal on a 3070 and finally jumped on a Best Buy deal for a $500 3070 Nvidia FE the other day. Discount aside, any reason I might want to cancel my FE order and go with the EVGA instead, or is there not enough difference to make it worth the hassle?

Context - This is my first purchase for a brand new build, probably ATX but maybe mATX size, and I'm basically gonna build around this card with the rest of my components... I'm sure I'll be asking for advice on that soon!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
edit: nm

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 6, 2022

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Clevername Lookhere posted:

Wow. I've been waiting a while for a < $500 deal on a 3070 and finally jumped on a Best Buy deal for a $500 3070 Nvidia FE the other day. Discount aside, any reason I might want to cancel my FE order and go with the EVGA instead, or is there not enough difference to make it worth the hassle?

Context - This is my first purchase for a brand new build, probably ATX but maybe mATX size, and I'm basically gonna build around this card with the rest of my components... I'm sure I'll be asking for advice on that soon!

Last time I bought a gpu (970) I bought nvidia and evga specifically for their good history with RMAs and honoring their warranty. Idk how relevant that poo poo is 10 years later so my answer is "maybe kinda ish?" If you get it in the mail and it doesnt work and best buy takes returns thats probably better than any manufacturer rma anyway.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Clevername Lookhere posted:

Eh.

EVGAs warranty support is quite good, but that EVGA card is basically on par with the FE. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think some people in the GPU thread said their EVGA Amperes made grinding noises when spinning up from zero.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Looking for a 1-2 TB NVMe drive to use as my boot drive. Who's hitting the price/performance sweet spot right now? I'm in the US.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Looking for a 1-2 TB NVMe drive to use as my boot drive. Who's hitting the price/performance sweet spot right now? I'm in the US.

I want to say Crucial. Their new P3 drives drives cost $75 for 1TB or $148 for 2TB (the 2TB is sold out at Newegg but it can be back-ordered at that price). The PCIe 4.0 version, the P3 Plus, gets 5 GB/s and 4 GB/s read/write speeds, and is $85/$162 for 1TB/2TB. However, these are QLC drives and no review outlets have looked at them yet. They're probably fine, but we don't know if they have a low SLC cache or some other serious issue that could hinder performance.

Otherwise, you're looking at the WD SN570, a solid PCIe 3.0 TLC drive that costs $85 for 1TB and $180 for 2TB.

The biggest advantage to the P3 series is that they have really cheap 4TB prices. The P3 is the cheapest 4TB SSD of any kind right now, let alone nvme. They tried to sell it for $290, but it sold out everywhere at that price. B&H currently has it for $315, which is still cheaper than anything else.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 6, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Dang it all, I got all the way through my build and then realized I need a fan splitter since this phantek case comes with 3 preinstalled and the 450 mobo I got only has two fan spots to plug in that aren't for the CPU

I also bled like a stuck pig moving the mobo backplate around

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the blood toll is a rite of passage every new pc builder must undergo at least once, though the motherboard backplate causing it is a new one to me. it's usually a razor-sharp heatsink fin, an edge on the case that hasn't been rounded off, or some vigorous rubbing between finger and plastic when trying to plug cables into tight spaces.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Thankfully most cases nowadays are pretty high quality and don't contain sharp parts. It's been a long time since I've cut myself on one. Old school beige cases with unpainted interiors from the 90's were legit dangerous sometimes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hikaki posted:

Thankfully most cases nowadays are pretty high quality and don't contain sharp parts. It's been a long time since I've cut myself on one. Old school beige cases with unpainted interiors from the 90's were legit dangerous sometimes.

iLamp iMacs were the single most bloodthirsty computer I've done work on. I swear that part of their cooling strategy involved razors.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Blood for the Blood God

Skulls for the Skull Throne

Note: The normal PC building experience should not involve skulls. The Skull Throne is generally satisfied with just one skull.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Isn’t the meme always the I/O shield? That’s what always got me

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I appreciate some of the new motherboards having it built onto the board so the stamped steel garbage isn't necessary. I've cut myself on them before but I've started using pliers to push down on the top to get it to flex into place.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
My new meme the last 3 builds is end up +2 screw drivers, but never have any/enough nvme screws or motherboard standoffs, now I own a bulk pack of both that I'll forget in time for the new build.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I appreciate some of the new motherboards having it built onto the board so the stamped steel garbage isn't necessary. I've cut myself on them before but I've started using pliers to push down on the top to get it to flex into place.

Yeah, my X570 has that and it's really nice - made the build process more civilized. The regular foil IO shields just feel so chintzy compared to having it be solid and integrated into the board. Also no drat overhang over any of the ports like IO shields seem to have so often.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What country are you in?
USA

What are you using the system for? web and software development, but also vr because I'd like to finally hop on that bandwagon after 7 years of doing laptop only, I'll probably pick up the new Cambria headset whenever that gets released

What's your budget? like $1200ish, want a beastly i7 and 16gb memory to start? I have no idea what things cost anymore. And then like a grand for the GPU? I think the 4000 series will be out soon maybe?

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I'm ok with medium, but also would like to do vr, not really into twitch fps stuff. My main monitor is 1440/60fps

95% of my modern gaming is $10 roguelikes off steam but about once a quarter I like to load up the latest battlefield game and crash a helicopter into a tank and then uninstall it

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? I mostly do web development but lately I've been tuning our production website which involves using data dog which is a graphing metrics thing that runs on chrome web browser, chokes the life out of my MacBook pro when I try and do dual screen and/or screen sharing via slack and zoom. I think this is mostly GPU throttled

Right now my main work laptop is a 2019 mbp but it's just not keeping up with my workflow. I'd like to do a three monitor setup, 1x1440p and 2x1080p with the option to add a third 1080p

Also, curious if I can have my main boot disk like, can I use it like a floppy? Work stuff on one SSD, shut down the computer, swap the SSD boot it up now it's my gaming personal PC? Ideally something with an eject button, I don't want to open up the case to get at it

CaptainSarcastic posted:

PC Building Megathread: Are you sure you want ITX?

I'm not sure what this means but, probably? Never had a mini itx except once in an emachines thing in the 90s and I'll probably find a way to exercise all the goofy bells and whistles

I'd rather get a big case and fill it with 6x120mm fans to keep it quiet, than a mini itx with hairdryer mode

Edit: I guess PC part picker has an export thing, let's see how well that works. Here's a pie in the sky, I literally have not looked at toms or hardocp or whatever just guessing coming from laptop world

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($377.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($949.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($223.15 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Gigabit Ethernet PCIe x1 Network Adapter ($46.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2227.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-07 03:51 EDT-0400

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 7, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There is some room to cut costs here without cutting performance, but first: Do you have optical drives that you're planning on putting in there? I ask because if you don't, the 200R doesn't really offer anything. It's also stupidly expensive because it's out of production. The trend right now is to have some form of mesh or other breathable front panel, which will give you far better airflow so you can run your fans at lower speeds and not have to hear your PC. Look at the Corsair 5000D Airflow, Lian Li Lancool III, or Fractal Design Torrent for some more modern high-end cases, or the Corsair 4000D Airflow, Lian Li Lancool II, or the Fractal Design Meshify series for some cheaper alternatives that are still quite good. There are other good airflow cases from brands like Phanteks, Cooler Master, and Be Quiet. I'll say that I built in the Lancool III just last week, and it's a very nice case (though heavy), with great out-of-the-box thermals and acoustics. But you should ultimately just pick whichever you think looks nicest because they all tend to have airflow that's good enough.

With that out of the way, the rest of your build could use some price optimization and a bit of rebalancing, so I did some tweaks I think you should consider: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pWrCZw (okay, I changed most of the parts...)

This motherboard comes with dual ethernet, which would negate the need to buy a separate ethernet card (I assume you have a use for the dual ethernet). It's also Z690, which means you can do overclocking stuff if you really want, and you can more easily run faster memory speeds on one. You should really be buying 32GB of RAM these days, especially with the work you do, so I doubled the memory and chose a faster spec. The 3080 12GB gets like 95% of the performance of the 3080 Ti while costing $200 less, so get that instead. The EVGA P6 is a very good quality power supply that is currently on sale, so while the RMx is also good, there's not much reason to get it right now. And I swapped in the Lancool III just to see the final price, though PCPP doesn't seem to have any stores for it listed yet (I linked one above). You could also replace the SSD with a much cheaper one like the Western Digital SN570 and see no perceivable difference in most use cases, though you will see a difference if you do lots of large file transfers or something since long sustained writes is the SN570's main weakness.

As for the drive swapping idea, there are some mainstream cases that have hot-swap capabilities, but that's with slower SATA drives. You really want to make your main boot drive an NVMe in this day and age, and that's not easily swappable. An alternative would be to configure your bios to always show a boot loader on startup so you choose which drive to boot from with no swapping. I think that's possible, but I don't ever mess with this kind of thing so I'm not 100% sure. An even easier option would be to simply make two Windows user accounts, one for work and one for gaming. You can segment a lot of stuff so you basically never see any of the gaming stuff while working and vise versa.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 7, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Isn’t the meme always the I/O shield? That’s what always got me

Yeah thats what I meant, woops. There was a little button under the USB ports a bit offset and I was trying to push real hard on the shield to move it in place and woops

Got a fan splitter delivered overnight for 9 bucks, but now the CPU fan is showing in the mobo as not working. Tried both cpufan and cpuopt plugins, no luck. Any idea what to do besides order a replacement fan?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah thats what I meant, woops. There was a little button under the USB ports a bit offset and I was trying to push real hard on the shield to move it in place and woops

Got a fan splitter delivered overnight for 9 bucks, but now the CPU fan is showing in the mobo as not working. Tried both cpufan and cpuopt plugins, no luck. Any idea what to do besides order a replacement fan?

Plug one of the case fans in to the cpu fan port to make sure it's not a damaged fan header

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Plug one of the case fans in to the cpu fan port to make sure it's not a damaged fan header

Thanks. Case fans work plugged into cpufan, CPU fan doesn't work plugged into case fan spot.

Between this and dealing with all the RGB poo poo I don't care about, I think whenever my next build is (in 2030) I'll just have microcenter do the whole thing. Not worth the frustration

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
Hey folks, looking for some sense-talking or advice on a new build;

Use Case: Majority gaming, maybe some VM-lab type work for certs or job
Budget: ~$1200-1400 ideally
Gaming: 1440p, 144hz monitors. Not really looking to hit 4k or hit the FPS limit of my refresh, just generally high/very-high above 30FPS @ 2k.
Work: Nothing special, virtual box, packet tracer simulators, etc.
Microcenter: I am blessed.

I'm upgrading to hand off one of my old boxes to my nephew, no other considerations to make. I don't like to buy bleeding edge so I'm not really interested in all the new gen that's about to drop, and it seems like there's some good prices on the previous gen right now especially as it relates to GPU. I've already snapped up an EVGA 3070 FTW3 and EVGA G6 750w PSU on a nice sale, otherwise I'm tentatively looking at:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($105.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($667.99 @ EVGA)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1362.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-07 14:06 EDT-0400

Questions:

CPU: I'm worried I'll regret not getting more power now. 12400f seems like an amazing deal, but the 12600k e-cores seem nice, and then I can get 12700's from MC for ~$40 more for two more actual p-cores. I've also heard the e-cores can cause problems in games.
Cooler: I'm old, I've used hyper 212's for years. Is AIO Liquid Cooling a better choice? I like the cleaner look, but am wary of maintenance.
Board: Any reason to even look at Z690 if I don't want to overclock? I only care about the k-variants for the e-cores.
Cases: Basically taking any suggestion here, my last was a Fractal Meshify C and it was great to work with.

Otherwise feel free to chime in on anything else, it's been a good few years since I dived back into this game and I'm pretty open to alternatives.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The D15 is overkill for the 12400, and the 3070 Ti isn't worth it over the 3070. You can get the 3070 for $500 at best buy (unfortunately the $475 3070 deal with EVGA ended), and the 3070 Ti is just 6 - 7% faster--a couple frames per second in most games.

Micro Center also currently has some amazing deals on AMD CPU/motherboard combos. Check if one of these is in-stock in your local store. The 5600 non-X is about on par with the 12400, the 5600X is slightly better in games, and the 5700X would give you two more cores. It may surpass the 12600K in heavily multithreaded titles, but it will be behind in titles that aren't. At 1440p, it's all pretty even, though. And the reason to look at Z690 with intel would be for the extra m.2 slots and i/o. If you don't need that, then there's no reason to dish out for a more expensive board.

With any of those micro center options or with the 12400 and 12600k, the Scythe Fuma 2 is the most you need if you're seeking near silence. Or the Thermalright Peerless Assassin after the 25% discount is almost $30 cheaper and probably just a little louder. Don't get an AIO unless you want to get a 12900K or are really after the cleaner look.

You can also save like $25 if you don't want RGB memory: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kXbkcf/gskill-memory-f43200c16d32gvk

edit: Oh, and you should get the SN570 instead of the SN750 because it's basically the same performance for $25 cheaper.

See my previous post for case suggestions. You could just build in the Meshify C again if that case isn't going to be used for anything else. It's still a good case.

edit 2: Wait, that EVGA 3070 deal is still active, my bad: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3755-KL&associatecode=SG6LFX7LRLICR2Y

The associate code in the URL knocks a further 3% off at checkout (so $475).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 7, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok, replacement CPU fan worked fine. Other one burned out I guess.

Now , after turning on secure boot windows UEFI and the tmp whatsit, win11 says it still won't install. What garbage, going back to win10

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 8, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Ok, replacement CPU fan worked fine. Other one burned out I guess.

Now , after turning on secure boot windows UEFI and the tmp whatsit, win11 says it still won't install. What garbage, going back to win10

As far as I'm concerned the main advantage of Windows 11 right now is if you have a touchscreen, otherwise 10 is more than fine. Microsoft currently says 10 doesn't go EOL until 2025, so no hurry anyway.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
windows 12 will be out by the time windows 10 goes into EoL, fwiw. they only tend to do that when uptake sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As far as I'm concerned the main advantage of Windows 11 right now is if you have a touchscreen, otherwise 10 is more than fine. Microsoft currently says 10 doesn't go EOL until 2025, so no hurry anyway.

Except for intel 12th gen, which doesn’t properly scale e-cores in windows 10.