Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhazonLink posted:

lol at it still being 2022 and the S horpe problem still being a thing.

Was that intentional, or do the forums actually censor oval office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neito posted:

Yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If the forums censored oval office half of D&D would be up in arms.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Th3D0Nn posted:

I'm pretty sure our freight rail is bad when compared to Europe, as well. Ton of single track, not much electrified, and almost no last mile rail deliveries to factories and stores.
Where as some EU countries require rail spurs to attach to new construction warehouses and manufacturing. I'm no expert but I watched some yt videos recently.
I've lived in a lot of places with abandoned rail spurs to manufacturers. The problem in all cases was that the manufacturer in question had died. If you had to build a rail spur to the typical manufacturer, which is out in the boonies where land is cheap, it wouldn't be a spur so much; more of a leg.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Neito posted:

my password is hunter2, what do you think

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Also they should loving bring back those sick yankee trains with the bubble windows on the top, youse had a good idea with those.

Dome Cars - also available in Great Dome, Big Dome and Pleasure Dome variants. There was also the Skytop Lounge observation car, which is another example of "Why can't we have nice things anymore?"

DaysBefore posted:

The best part is that the US (and Canada) did have extensive commuter rail and long distance passenger train networks up until the 50s, at which point we started tearing up all the tracks and building highways. Now the majority of what's left is for freight, but even then the freight is brought to and from trains by trucks anyway lmao.

As late as the 1950s nowhere in the state of Iowa was more than 12 miles from a railroad and even in 1980 every Iowan county was served by at least one rail line. Granted even by the mid-20th century a lot of those routes were freight only or, at best, had extremely patchy and run-down passenger services but it's still striking how much infrastructure has disappeared in such a relatively short time.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

BalloonFish posted:

Dome Cars - also available in Great Dome, Big Dome and Pleasure Dome variants. There was also the Skytop Lounge observation car, which is another example of "Why can't we have nice things anymore?"
The Tri-Rail in South Florida does something similar. They have a lot of double-decker cars that look like this:

I always ride in the top level if I can, you get a pretty nice view. The corner windows are my favorite.

edit: this is totally relevant to the thread, because trains are social media and I am an idiot.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Aug 4, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Neito posted:

What the gently caress?!?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Huh? Did she think train lines never end like the reverse of the "Ambulances only go TO hospitals" goon? Or does she think trains make rolling stops?

The most reasonable way I can think of to be confused by train tracks ending is if somebody thinks tracks were a giant closed loop, like a model train set that just goes around and around.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Fishstick posted:

There's something to be said for how close train stations are to their destination though. No dealing with airport security checkpoints, luggage checkins, rental cars to/from the airport, running to gates. If I wanted to, I can walk 10 minutes to the nearest train station, and hop off in the middle of Paris.

Yeah the actual voyage is slower, but for me at least not having to deal with Airlines is worth an extra hour or two, plus you get to see some of the country you're riding through.

Across Europe it's wonderful, I traveled across a lot of Germany using them.

In America the difference is hours versus days though, it's less of a nice, leisurely trip across rail and more a grueling multi day tour for the same price as an airline ticket.

I love watching Japanese YouTubers who seem to just spend their lives testing out the different cross-country rail options and showing them off. It looks like such a fun way to live, getting to see the country from a train.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like going on the London Overground because you can go right to the front and pretend you're driving it and it feels very fast. Like being at the front upstairs on the bus.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Otana posted:

In America the difference is hours versus days though, it's less of a nice, leisurely trip across rail and more a grueling multi day tour for the same price as an airline ticket.

I love watching Japanese YouTubers who seem to just spend their lives testing out the different cross-country rail options and showing them off. It looks like such a fun way to live, getting to see the country from a train.

In America, from the coast where I live to the interior where I'm from, I'd take three trains and a bus over three days, including 11 hours of layovers, where a private room would cost over $1,000 and coach is no less expensive than flying.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Zero_Grade posted:

The Tri-Rail in South Florida does something similar. They have a lot of double-decker cars that look like this:

Only two rails, 0/10.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Data Graham posted:

I've been waiting for someone's reply to give me some clue as to what exactly Matt thinks he's even saying with this, but I guess I'll have to bite.

Does he think the big Portugal-shaped and France-shaped holes on the map are just empty wastelands that the trains are going to the borders of for inexplicable reasons?

Or does he think literally nobody lives in .... Spain?

Or that trains aren't allowed to go to small towns? Like trains should only be intracity subways in Madrid? Or does he not recognize the names of the smaller cities and towns and think therefore they're made up by the train maker man?

I'm sure it's something very stupid and obvious I'm simply not getting but I can't tell in what particular way this is stupid

I'll make this simple for you, imagine the dumbest person ever, then imagine someone dumber than that. Congratulations, you've imagined Matt Yglesias' high school tutor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

I always ride in the top level if I can, you get a pretty nice view. The corner windows are my favorite.

edit: this is totally relevant to the thread, because trains are social media and I am an idiot.

I've been on double-decker cars and in the bubble cars as a passenger and while double-decker is nice, it doesn't remotely compare to a bubble car, especially as you're waking up miles from anywhere in the dawn over the boreal forests of Eastern Canada.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Arivia posted:

If the forums censored oval office half of D&D would be up in arms.

There's not that many Australians on the forums

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Otana posted:

Yeah, there was a time I was living in Oakland and my parents lived in Seattle and a couple of times either them visiting me or me visiting them we looked at trains and it cost exactly the same as a plane ticket and took 24 hours versus a 2 hour flight

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dabir posted:

He's American so it's understandable that he thinks all countries have exactly two cities worth going to and then everything in between is a barren wasteland

I assume just San Fran and Manhattan.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

UKPol is the busiest thread in D&D and it gets used there too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

There is a lot.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Arivia posted:

UKPol is the busiest thread in D&D and it gets used there too.

it's because people are pretending to be from the uk to get to say the word, i am sorry to have to tell you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

HopperUK posted:

I like going on the London Overground because you can go right to the front and pretend you're driving it and it feels very fast. Like being at the front upstairs on the bus.

is that not the DLR? overground trains have drivers in the way

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the DLR is the driverless line with the smaller trains. IIRC the Overground is just a regular trainline they put on the Underground map for some reason or whatever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arivia posted:

I've been on double-decker cars and in the bubble cars as a passenger and while double-decker is nice, it doesn't remotely compare to a bubble car, especially as you're waking up miles from anywhere in the dawn over the boreal forests of Eastern Canada.
You are probably overestimating the amount of scenic beauty around the pictured train as it speeds along near, but usually not in sight of, the southern Florida east coast.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Data Graham posted:

I wonder what Europeans think when they are confronted by the fact that the storied NYC subway was not built by the City of New York, but by three or more competing railroad companies who all used different rail gauges and tore up different random streets to build tunnels under and that's why the letter lines (A,C,E,etc) can never share cars or platforms with the number lines (1,2,3,etc)

Oh, we can tell you all about competing railroad companies. Visit Pontefract, a town of 30,000 inhabitants served by three railway stations established by two different railway companies- Tanshelf, Monkhill and Baghill.
On the other hand, there were rare occasions when rivals joined forces to create stations of unparalleled magnificence like Huddersfield.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

Oh, we can tell you all about competing railroad companies. Visit Pontefract, a town of 30,000 inhabitants served by three railway stations established by two different railway companies- Tanshelf, Monkhill and Baghill.
On the other hand, there were rare occasions when rivals joined forces to create stations of unparalleled magnificence like Huddersfield.

That's England, it doesn't count as European. Or arguably people

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh yeah I meant the DLR. anyway it's fun and I am an adult for sure

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1554785902257442816

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

SCheeseman posted:

There is a lot.
Too many, in fact.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Literally the only UK train thing I know is Crossrail, because Mel Giedroyc is obsessed with it and always brings it up on quiz shows. :kiddo:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Matt Yglesias is a stupidity elemental.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

These guys are fascists, arent they?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DreadUnknown posted:

I'm gonna give it a better-than-even chance.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DreadUnknown posted:

They're the type of rear end in a top hat who shouts about how nonpartisan they are while being WILDLY PARTISAN. The last thing I heard them mad at was the ban on bump stocks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DreadUnknown posted:

Worse. COVID deniers.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Worse. COVID deniers.

¿Porque no los dos?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Seth Pecksniff posted:

¿Porque no los dos?

Some parallel lines converge a lot sooner than others

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Matt Yglesias is a stupidity elemental.

He's an op-ed writer, that goes without saying.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Love that their lawyer just went “yeah sure we’ll sue them whatever. You guys gotta pay up front tho” and didn’t explain that that’s not how freedom of speech works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SCheeseman posted:

There is a lot.

I've conversed with hundreds of Australians, and there is a LOT. I would compare it roughly to being cursed with a serious illness.