Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FunOne posted:

BofA will do 2.62% everywhere on their top cards with relationship bonus from parking assets with BofA/ML.

I just checked in on this and they're doing a $200 signup bonus also. Guess I'm in for another one alongside my "5.25% back on all online purchases" BoA card.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Thanks, fixed all these

Can you add a slot for the Capital One Venture X?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mightygerm posted:

Can you add a slot for the Capital One Venture X?

done

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

So if my girlfriend is an Authorized User on a couple of my Amex cards, should I update my income with them to include her income? How does that work if they ever decide to verify my income?

This stems from an earlier post where they put a limit on my Gold and the explanation was "You're spending more than someone who makes $60K should be spending" and, like, yeah, there's two people who make $60K using the card now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I need to make a ~2k purchase. I was kicking around the idea of signing up for a new card to get a 12-18 month 0% offer rather than paying cash up front. Any recommendations? I've got Chase Freedom, Citi Double Points, a Discover and the Bank of America MasterCard.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Medullah posted:

I need to make a ~2k purchase. I was kicking around the idea of signing up for a new card to get a 12-18 month 0% offer rather than paying cash up front. Any recommendations? I've got Chase Freedom, Citi Double Points, a Discover and the Bank of America MasterCard.

Your best bet is more to find a card with a good sign up bonus, so you'll get maybe 800 if you spend 4k in the first 3 months.

this is a good list: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Medullah posted:

Try the referral page for some dope deals:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I decided I would close a credit card - the one I've been paying off on time more than a decade - and open a new one. My credit score subsequently dropped by over 100 points. This is a problem as I am about to apply for a mortgage. Is there anything I can do to unfuck this? Reopen the account?

This whole system is loving bullshit.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I decided I would close a credit card - the one I've been paying off on time more than a decade - and open a new one. My credit score subsequently dropped by over 100 points. This is a problem as I am about to apply for a mortgage. Is there anything I can do to unfuck this? Reopen the account?

Nope, that won't help at all. Your score dropped because your average account age likely also dropped considerably. That's why the common advice is to never close very old accounts, especially if you're planning credit-sensitive purchases.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there any draw back in keeping an old card open, with zero balance just sitting in a drawer, besides the risk of an accidental charge you miss?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there any draw back in keeping an old card open, with zero balance just sitting in a drawer, besides the risk of an accidental charge you miss?

No. But, many card issuers will automatically close your account if you have between 1 and 3 years of inactivity.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No. But, many card issuers will automatically close your account if you have between 1 and 3 years of inactivity.

This is true. Every year or so it's useful to go buy something cheap from the grocery store on the card just to keep it active.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Where are you getting your score from? Was it your only open account? Is the new card showing on your report yet?

The payment history will stay on your report for 10 years so you should be fine there. The new card will drop your average age dramatically, but even if it's 10 years and 0 years that's still 5 years avg.

If your new card isn't reporting yet but your old card is already reporting as closed then that's also going to give you a dramatic drop for a bit until the new card reports.

If you're looking at Credit Karma or any other Vantage score I'd ignore whatever it says. Those scored tend to swing around way more than your actual FICO score.

That all being said, your main problem here is you never ever want to open or close any accounts within about a year or so of getting a mortgage. The bank is not going to like what you've done regardless of your score.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Honestly, you don't need to worry too much about it.

Mortgage lenders use a modified FICO score and closing a credit card and opening a new one isn't going to matter much at all.

Just don't accumulate a significant amount of new debt prior to application. Debt to income ratio and history of payments is about 95% of what they look for in a mortgage application.

Also, if you are looking at your score via credit karma or one of the other places that gives you an "instant" score, they are usually estimates based on some factors and can vary wildly for no reason.

My credit karma score fluctuates about 30 points up and down with no new accounts, no new debt, no changes whatsoever.

Edit: Shroomie above slightly beat me to the point about the credit score estimates.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So I looked into it and I actually massively misremembered things. I didn't close my card and open a new one, I just got a new physical card. I looked into getting a new CC but didn't end up doing it. There hasn't been a real change in my credit in ages. I just have one credit card I've paid every month for more than a decade, I have literally never missed a payment once.

So my credit score dropped ~130 points for absolutely no reason that I can see. This is according to Experian.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

So I looked into it and I actually massively misremembered things. I didn't close my card and open a new one, I just got a new physical card. There hasn't been a real change in my credit in ages. I just have one credit card I've paid every month for more than a decade, I have literally never missed a payment once.

So my credit score dropped ~130 points for absolutely no reason that I can see.

Where did you get the score? Was it an actual report from AnnualCreditReport.com or from your mortgage broker? Or are you going off Credit Karma?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ninja edit above, but it's direct from Experian. There's nothing new on there. No new hard inquiries, no new debt, no missed payments, nothing. Just a great big gently caress you to my previously awesome credit score right when I need it most.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ninja edit above, but it's direct from Experian. There's nothing new on there. No new hard inquiries, no new debt, no missed payments, nothing. Just a great big gently caress you to my previously awesome credit score right when I need it most.

For a mortgage loan, they are mostly looking at DTI ratio and payment history rather than an actual number. If you did nothing and haven't taken on any serious debts or lowered your income a lot this year, then there is a 99% chance it isn't a big deal at all.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

According to the lender I'm working with, it makes a lot of difference. They did a hard pull just before the magic drop, which is still good through August 6. Right now I qualify for 5.4%. If they had pulled the magic drop number, I would not even qualify for 7%. That's despite no actual change in my credit info. What the gently caress?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

According to the lender I'm working with, it makes a lot of difference. They did a hard pull just before the magic drop, which is still good through August 6. Right now I qualify for 5.4%. If they had pulled the magic drop number, I would not even qualify for 7%. That's despite no actual change in my credit info. What the gently caress?

Wow. That is bizarre. Especially for no known difference and it came officially from Equifax.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a $5/mo donation to greenpeace on my worst card, and it's auto setup to auto pay off each month. On another it's $5/mo to ACLU, another is $5/mo for "hip-hop for change" local inner city after school non-profit. Another donates $5/mo to the local sailing program. The non profit people all camp out outside of my grocery store in the summers. Keeps everything active and gets paid off in full each month to the whopping tune of $5/mo plus I get a really nice Christmas card from the sailing team each year. Also also, generates some activity on the card so I don't forget about them when reviewing bills each month

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Did your credit usage change? Credit usage under 5% is good and it's not difficult to shoot a single card through the roof accidentally if the credit limit is low.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

asur posted:

Did your credit usage change? Credit usage under 5% is good and it's not difficult to shoot a single card through the roof accidentally if the credit limit is low.
No, it actually went down a bit.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

No, it actually went down a bit.

Have you actually reviewed your full credit report recently from all three credit bureaus? I'd start getting nervous with that kind of drop and zero changes that I had implemented. I'd probably start making sure I could ID every pull and account listed. And do a quick scan of my cards to double check charges. If those were all good, then Id write it off as weird.

But then I've been in a ton of credit breeches, so I tend to get paranoid.

That hard pull from your mortgage company will drop your score in the short term, but I had like 3 back to back and had less of a drop than you are saying you had

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Echoing that, definitely look at the full report. Could be an old account fell off after the 10 year limit? I壇 be more worried someone reported a missed payment. That is a massive drop, my score has never moved more than 50 points or so at a time between various loans, including 2 mortgages, and a bunch of credit card churning. What痴 your score at now? 720 was usually the break point for good credit when I was selling mortgages 15 years ago.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

The new Wells Fargo Autograph card is live today. 3X on Dining, Travel, Gas, Transit, Streaming, and Phone Plans. No AF, no FTF. Cell phone insurance, rental car insurance. Seems like a good card to have if you don't hate Wells Fargo too much.

https://creditcards.wellsfargo.com/autograph-visa-credit-card/

IDK if I'm going to PC my Active Cash over or sign up for a new card. I hate to miss the $300 SUB, but I want to be under 5/24 ASAP.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shroomie posted:

The new Wells Fargo Autograph card is live today. 3X on Dining, Travel, Gas, Transit, Streaming, and Phone Plans. No AF, no FTF. Cell phone insurance, rental car insurance. Seems like a good card to have if you don't hate Wells Fargo too much.

https://creditcards.wellsfargo.com/autograph-visa-credit-card/

IDK if I'm going to PC my Active Cash over or sign up for a new card. I hate to miss the $300 SUB, but I want to be under 5/24 ASAP.

I still have the Propel and that really just looks like they slapped a new name on the Propel.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I still have the Propel and that really just looks like they slapped a new name on the Propel.

Yeah in a lot of ways it's just a Propel Visa.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My Admirals club membership ran out and I知 debating whether to sign up for the Citi AA Executive card. If I do and they take forever to send it, would I get access to the admirals club before I receive the actual card? Would they be able to look me up in the system to find out I知 a member prior to getting the physical card?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Cacafuego posted:

My Admirals club membership ran out and I知 debating whether to sign up for the Citi AA Executive card. If I do and they take forever to send it, would I get access to the admirals club before I receive the actual card? Would they be able to look me up in the system to find out I知 a member prior to getting the physical card?

This is very issuer and co-brander specific, you probably want to google around for the information and see what people are saying. I got my priority pass access on my amex hilton before I got the amex hilton, but that doesn't always happen.

If it's a big deal to you and do you do a non-automated application you might bring that up and see if they can expedite, sometimes they will expedite cards.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cacafuego posted:

If you are the primary cardholder, it will be reflected in your AA account and you do not need the card to get into the admirals clubs. If you add family members etc as secondary cardholders, they need to have the physical card with them to get in without you.

Also, usually these premium cards will be expedited (and our Citi AA Exec was), so you should get it pretty quickly.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

If you are the primary cardholder, it will be reflected in your AA account and you do not need the card to get into the admirals clubs. If you add family members etc as secondary cardholders, they need to have the physical card with them to get in without you.

Also, usually these premium cards will be expedited (and our Citi AA Exec was), so you should get it pretty quickly.

This is what I assumed, but thank you for the confirmation!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Figured I'd bump this along with my question. What are some good cards these days with a low/zero balance transfer fee? Looking to float about $10k if possible to avoid some interest/fees. My credit is excellent, and I'd like to use a goon ref so everyone wins if possible.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Figured I'd bump this along with my question. What are some good cards these days with a low/zero balance transfer fee? Looking to float about $10k if possible to avoid some interest/fees. My credit is excellent, and I'd like to use a goon ref so everyone wins if possible.

Alliant Credit Union offers a Visa Platinum with 0% APR for 12 months (2% fee) on balance transfers if you're not opposed to joining an online credit union.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 10, 2022

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SamDabbers posted:

Alliant Credit Union offers a Visa Platinum with 0% APR for 12 months (2% fee) on balance transfers if you're not opposed to joining an online credit union.

I'm already a member of Alliant actually, I'll check it out, thanks!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm already a member of Alliant actually, I'll check it out, thanks!

Nice. They'll switch your account over to their Visa Signature (which gives 2.5% cash back on everything if you keep $1000 in a checking account and make one electronic deposit per month) later at your request if you want a good cash back card.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
If anyone's looking to sign up for the Bank of America Alaska Airlines card, can PM me or hit me up here. Referral seems like a manual process wherein I'd have to put your information into a form to get the offer sent out rather than an automatically generated link like the more convenient options. Great card if you fly Alaska.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm looking at getting out of Wells Fargo and I have a credit card with them. I've got everything ready for the checking and savings accounts save a meeting with a local banker and actually moving the money to my new bank prior to said meeting. My assumption is that I won't be able to move my Wells Fargo rewards card to another bank, but on the off chance that it is possible, how would a person do such a thing? Alternatively, how much of a pain would it be to keep nothing but the card at Wells, set up a recurring expense on the card, and set up a recurring payment from a separate bank? Would it be worth the trouble or would I be better off closing it and getting a new card? I don't have any major purchases planned soon, nearest thing we're looking at is maybe a car in 1-2 years.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What do you mean by moving the credit card? If you have a balance that you'd like to move to be owed to another bank that's easy, you just open another card account and say you want to do a "balance transfer." Credit cards will have promotional offers for balance transfers like 0% interest on your transferred balance for some period of time so those are worth shopping around for. If you want to have your new bank to still honor your wells fargo rewards program terms then no, that won't happen.

You can keep the card open if you want, the only reason you'd do that is if you're concerned about your credit report saying you have an older credit card account, but I personally have never thought deliberately trying to keep an old account around to try and game the credit score was worth the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'm looking at getting out of Wells Fargo and I have a credit card with them. I've got everything ready for the checking and savings accounts save a meeting with a local banker and actually moving the money to my new bank prior to said meeting. My assumption is that I won't be able to move my Wells Fargo rewards card to another bank, but on the off chance that it is possible, how would a person do such a thing? Alternatively, how much of a pain would it be to keep nothing but the card at Wells, set up a recurring expense on the card, and set up a recurring payment from a separate bank? Would it be worth the trouble or would I be better off closing it and getting a new card? I don't have any major purchases planned soon, nearest thing we're looking at is maybe a car in 1-2 years.

If it's a credit card you can just keep the card and pay it from your new bank account. If it's a debit card then it draws on funds in that bank so you can't really do this.

You can pay a credit card for any bank from any bank. Well maybe there's a bank that somehow won't let you but I am not aware of any credit card that has to be paid from within that bank, and even if there was, you could just keep the wells account open, keep 5$ or some minimum amount in it, then transfer funds to that account each month to pay the credit card.

But just because you can do all this doesn't mean you necessarily should, it's kind of a hassle.