Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

bigperm posted:

6 hours of actual doom and gloom followed by 6 hours of punitive gloom and doom.

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

bigperm posted:

6 hours of actual doom and gloom followed by 6 hours of punitive gloom and doom.

Digital Jedi posted:

I didn't expect $150M award or anything close to it. Maybe $30M+ or something.

Yeah $150m compensatory was never happening, but I was expecting $20m or so. Maybe the issue is that my expectations about compensatory are out of whack. Popehat is usually pretty insightful on these sort of things and he argued that the verdict was actually on the high end. The real problem in that case would be that Texas has such aggressive caps on punitive damages, which is where "Bankrupt Alex because he's a shitstain" should happen in theory.

ryde fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 4, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm reserving my judgement for the punitive damages

compensatory are the ones that are literally compensating you for money lost, which wasn't much in this case. it's all about the punitive with this one. curious to see what that will be.

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.
plantiff's lawyer indicated punitive could be tens of millions; there are also sanctions, CT, and the phone stuff - so it's far from over for the fat sack of red poo poo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tree Dude posted:

So we're sure about this 750k thing?

I'm definitely not, the snippets of the Texas code people have been posting are at odds with what Bankston is saying. So ???

I figure the guy who's made this case his life probably knows better than internet lawyers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure randos on the internet know more than the lawyer on the case

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

What was the thing about additional charges after the the verdict was read?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The 750k question

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do they award costs?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

neato burrito posted:

What was the thing about additional charges after the the verdict was read?

nobody knoooooooows

one assumes the mystery charge has to do with The Dropbox

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

nice to see the jury making sure alex jones has money to pay out to the families suing him in ct where he is certainly going to get hosed harder than in tx

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

bigperm posted:

6 hours of actual doom and gloom followed by (x10% of) 6 hours of punitive gloom and doom.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

nice to see the jury making sure alex jones has money to pay out to the families suing him in ct where he is certainly going to get hosed harder than in tx

Apparently there won’t be a stream of it unfortunately. I understand why I guess but I mean, cmooooooooooon

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

GreyjoyBastard posted:

nobody knoooooooows

one assumes the mystery charge has to do with The Dropbox

Ok, what things are within the realm of legal possibility? Is this the point where sanctions / perjury / contempt of court happens? Or more likely to be financial stuff?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"alex jones will be fiiiiine"
"you're a gibbering moron!!"
*doodily doodily doot*
"guys. realistically alex jones was always gonna be fine..."
"what a mature and correct take good sir!"
*wank*

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So at least 2 jurors were already pilled, right?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1555308262894907392

Hopefully they've built for max damage in this case

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

teen witch posted:

Apparently there won’t be a stream of it unfortunately. I understand why I guess but I mean, cmooooooooooon

thats unfortunate but he will still being paying millions of dollars to the families involved in that one too.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 4, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I think the amount with regards to compensatory poo poo is kind of okay, like that's don't need to work ever again money. Hopefully punitive is maxed out.

On the other hand, that leaves more money for every other person Alex has hosed with and all sorts of poo poo is going to come crawling out of the woodwork.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Elderbean posted:

So at least 2 jurors were already pilled, right?

I don't see any way the 2 jurors wanted to give more, that's for certain.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well I’m sad my pessimistic guess was wrong. Hopefully Bankston is right about a higher cap than the thread’s consensus, but I’m setting expectations low again.

I hope something comes out of the phone drop but otoh if I were a conspiracy theorist I’d try to keep the incriminating poo poo off my phone. But then again it’s Alex Jones so lol hopefully not. But it could be like 99% pictures of puppies and dumb memes.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

InsertPotPun posted:

"alex jones will be fiiiiine"
"you're a gibbering moron!!"
*doodily doodily doot*
"guys. realistically alex jones was always gonna be fine..."
"what a mature and correct take good sir!"
*wank*

I'm too stupid to offer any kind of prediction about how all this ends, but by any estimate this one trial is only the beginning of Alex's legal troubles. I'm not gonna hold my breath for him to suffer real, meaningful consequences, but I will keep my fingers crossed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
well

I think we're owed the phone being the smoking gun that implicates everyone in Jan 6th.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1555310031171641346?s=20

Well if that’s true I guess we can expect nothing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I don't see any way the 2 jurors wanted to give more, that's for certain.

I wasn’t part of the deliberations but It’s possible isn’t it? Only 10 out of the 12 needed to agree (and that 10 had to agree on everything) so if 10 people wanted a low amount 2 who wanted higher could just not sign the judgment.

But it goes the other way too so who knows.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

run on sentience posted:

This might be a very stupid question but I've never known anyone who's done jury duty...

People keep saying that the jury doesn't know there is a cap on punitive damages, but why don't they know that? Do they make sure that the selected jurors know nothing about the law? Are the jurors locked in a hotel with no access to outside info during the trial?

What the jury knows about the law is supposed to come from the judge/trial and they aren't allowed to mention it at the trial.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

neato burrito posted:

Ok, what things are within the realm of legal possibility? Is this the point where sanctions / perjury / contempt of court happens? Or more likely to be financial stuff?

I *think* those charges would be handled separately after this trial wraps up but I dunno, maybe one of them can double dip as a civil violation?

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Hey Goons, thank you for the links and effort posts to keep the rest of us informed. I would prefer to never have heard of Alex Jones but we can’t ignore dangerous people and hope they go away.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

teen witch posted:

We also saw a man completely ruin his career in real time.

red and yella, kill a fella
red and black, venom lack
right wing shiller, career killer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don’t know where Mark is getting 10x. The court will reduce them to the statutory cap, which is $750k because there are only non-economic damages.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah after today I’m not holding out any hope, I’ll be pleasantly surprised if something happens but I’m not allowing myself to wish that justice will actually happen again.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1555321891501461505?s=20&t=Csq6jzbpXfGgUmf4NCE10w

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Yeah idk either but Mark is pretty good at his job and I trust he did the diligence to figure out a basic fact like 'how much can I expect to have my clients recieve" so whatever he says is what I'm going with at the moment.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Not really “punitive” if he pays it out of pocket change and makes it all back next week in boner pill sales, is it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

reignofevil posted:

Yeah idk either but Mark is pretty good at his job and I trust he did the diligence to figure out a basic fact like 'how much can I expect to have my clients recieve" so whatever he says is what I'm going with at the moment.

Texas civil remedies code is pretty clear. Mark may have misspoke and meant to say two times not ten times, but even then it's only 2x economic damages, and the damages awarded in this case are, per the code, non-economic damages. I've found TX supreme court precedent on a defamation case from 2020 that supports this argument when I was looking on my phone earlier. Granted that was business defamation and the court overruled for different reasons, they acknowledge the caps in a footnote citing the civil remedies code I'm using.

edit: both of these cases support the caps I'm talking about :

https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1437042/150056.pdf

https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1448050/181211.pdf

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 4, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Everyone shut the gently caress up and check this poo poo out

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raged posted:

Alex is going to make more than 5 Million today alone. His fan base won't care about anything that came out during the trial. Honestly, AJ got away without any real consequences.

bankston is sending several years of Jones' texts to the Jan 6th committee, the lawyers in Jones' other lawsuits, the media, and probably Jones' ex-wife

that's a consequence

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
4 million. Lol. Like one week of FrogTech sales.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I hope when they get the forensic accountant on the stand tomorrow the jury thinks upon their decision today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm reserving my judgement for the punitive damages

compensatory are the ones that are literally compensating you for money lost, which wasn't much in this case. it's all about the punitive with this one. curious to see what that will be.

This is what Reynal argued and convinced the jury to set such low damages. It’s not true but your post shows how the insurance agencies have tainted future jury pools.

You are talking about economic damages which are compensatory but so are non-economic damages. Pain and suffering is compensatory.