Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

This is amazing. It has the same air of misguided self-importance about it as those bargain-bin 80s sci-fi movies starring a kickboxing champion, where the producers assumed that the audience would walk in thinking that they're the biggest badass on the planet but in reality nobody has ever heard of them.

I was thinking it was the movie version of that Goldman Sachs CEO doing the DJ set at Lollapalooza. Just, like, don't.

That being said...

it dont matter posted:

gently caress yeah get em flatley!

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’m normally not scared of anything but this made me nervous lol

Gonna look out for it!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This looks cool. I've always been freaked by those antenna climbing videos. Like stuff like this physically makes me uncomfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40F8mALRukA

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This poo poo is nightmarish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INbKYq0G9nU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Could he be any more pink?

I just about pissed myself when he first shows up in the trailer. Tries to do a suave turn to camera but he's got a chubby lil pink face so it's not in any way cool or intimidating or whatever else they presumably were going for.

Seems like he was earnestly trying to make a serious feature, and that makes fun bad movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I say this with the utmost respect for the clear craft on display here.

Oh hell no.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vintersorg posted:

I’m normally not scared of anything but this made me nervous lol

Gonna look out for it!

the height part of it was like, hell yeah that's cool, i would definitely climb that

but the being stranded part is like, fuuuuuuuuuuck. you'd dehydrate in like 3 days and it would probably suck, so it's like, do you just jump?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

i have just started to learn lead climbing so this looks amazing

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Want to see a movie about Hang-Man's grandpa in Korea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDEGP6VjYY

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

...well, it's certainly original.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRu3zLOJN2c
Hey, a new Martin McDonagh movie! Knowing McDonagh things are going to escalate quite a bit more than what the trailer shows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Hey, a new Martin McDonagh movie! Knowing McDonagh things are going to escalate quite a bit more than what the trailer shows.

gently caress yes that looks terrific.

Also super ready for Colin Farrell's schlubby post-leading man era. I get the sense that he's been waiting a long time for that himself. I hope he finally gets to become a proper character actor.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

It's very Father Ted scenery wise.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

this is the weird sequel to In Bruges they could've made and it looks incredible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know that finger cutting threat is not an idle one. Someone's losing their fingats.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Please be better than his last movie. God, what a disappointment.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Chemtrailologist posted:

Please be better than his last movie. God, what a disappointment.

3 Billboards? I liked it a lot, but I'll watch Frances McDormand in anything.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Oh god yes I’m in

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

There is something about heights that makes me queasy like nothing else does :kstare:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m totally fine with heights. Have been on countless rollercoasters before. Have been skydiving several times. Tall skyscrapers are cool.

But I want absolutely nothing to do with 2,000+ foot freestanding structures and people being atop them. I’d instantly have vertigo if that happened to me. It’s not the height that bothers me. It’s the safety concerns that’d short circuit my brain. One minor fuckup and i’d be needing a closed casket funeral.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You should all check out Free Solo. I caught a bit of it at the Touring Banff Mountain Film Fest and it’s amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRVZ4SW7WU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Free Solo was amazing, but this movie seems like it would be entirely solved by just telling a friend what you are up to and just waiting until they call emergency services for you.
That seems like one of the very basics of doing extreme sports out in the middle of nowhere.

Edit: I just remembered 127 hours where the same thing applies and that was based on a real story, so people are just reckless l

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Thirding Free Solo. Alex's preparation for the climb is compelling drama, the history of rock climbing at Yosemite is pretty interesting, and the climb at the end is like 20 straight minutes of heart pounding terror. Great watch

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Want to see a movie about Hang-Man's grandpa in Korea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDEGP6VjYY

Lol right after Blowback season3. See our brave fighting boys kill 25% of a country with war crimes.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

See our brave fighting boys kill 25% of a country with war crimes.

But some of the US pilots were black so criticizing American war crimes is racist now, bigot

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Eezee posted:

Free Solo was amazing, but this movie seems like it would be entirely solved by just telling a friend what you are up to and just waiting until they call emergency services for you.
That seems like one of the very basics of doing extreme sports out in the middle of nowhere.

Edit: I just remembered 127 hours where the same thing applies and that was based on a real story, so people are just reckless l

Haven’t seen the movie but in the 127 hours book he definitely spills some ink calling himself an idiot for not having left word of where he would be. For him I think it’s just that he was out doing backcountry poo poo like every weekend so he just slowly got in the habit of treating it casually.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol right after Blowback season3. See our brave fighting boys kill 25% of a country with war crimes.

The whole thing could have been avoided if the Communists had decided to not invade South Korea.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

Haven’t seen the movie but in the 127 hours book he definitely spills some ink calling himself an idiot for not having left word of where he would be. For him I think it’s just that he was out doing backcountry poo poo like every weekend so he just slowly got in the habit of treating it casually.

The very last line of 127 Hours is something like "He always tells people where he is going now."

Vintersorg posted:

You should all check out Free Solo. I caught a bit of it at the Touring Banff Mountain Film Fest and it’s amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urRVZ4SW7WU

The Alpinist is better.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

MLSM posted:

But some of the US pilots were black so criticizing American war crimes is racist now, bigot

The more historically accurate project featuring Majors playing a Korean War veteran will end up being Lovecraft Country.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

live with fruit posted:

The very last line of 127 Hours is something like "He always tells people where he is going now."

The Alpinist is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xxi_icc8EI

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Eezee posted:

she says something in the trailer about "if they had called 911 they'd be here by now" so i think that gets covered

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

it dont matter posted:

Michael Flatley, lord of the dance, made a movie. He wrote it, directed it, and cast himself as the tough guy lead.

It looks incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7UEhapn1I

"Bless me father for I have sinned...and I'm about to sin again" gently caress yeah get em flatley!

That trailer ruled. It actually seems like it’s filmed well and looks pretty

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

100% in day 1

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Phrasing!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Scuffy_1989 posted:

The whole thing could have been avoided if the Communists had decided to not invade South Korea.

Not really, this was a Korean civil war from the start.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not really, this was a Korean civil war from the start.

LoL. Lmao.

And what was the ideology of the North Koreans, and who gave them all their military aid?

Scuffy_1989 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 6, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ok pro korean war posts not the direction I expected the trailer thread to go today. but we are at the initially funny stage instead tiresome stage, so: lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Scuffy_1989 posted:

LoL. Lmao.

And what was the ideology of the North Koreans, and who gave them all their military aid?

Whatever became of North Korea later, in the 40s the country was coming off of a brutal japanese occupation and the communists were extremely popular. Everyone knew that in the Communists were going to win in the enxt free elections. So the US came in, splti the country in two using an arbitrary line they just came up with, then set up a brutal military dictatorship in the south made up mostly of people who'd cooperated with the japanese occupation. This of course led to a attempt to reunify the country and kick out the invaders, which failed terribly. The US then went on to do a near-Genocidal campaign on the north that KILLED 1 IN 4.

loving educate yourself.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scuffy_1989 posted:

LoL. Lmao.

north korea is ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

MonsieurChoc posted:

Whatever became of North Korea later, in the 40s the country was coming off of a brutal japanese occupation and the communists were extremely popular. Everyone knew that in the Communists were going to win in the enxt free elections. So the US came in, splti the country in two using an arbitrary line they just came up with, then set up a brutal military dictatorship in the south made up mostly of people who'd cooperated with the japanese occupation. This of course led to a attempt to reunify the country and kick out the invaders, which failed terribly. The US then went on to do a near-Genocidal campaign on the north that KILLED 1 IN 4.

loving educate yourself.

Are you sure you're not confusing Korea with Vietnam?

The country being split in 2 at the 28th parallel was decided at Potsdam, and the USSR agreed to it. After the war the USSR armed the North Koreans for an eventual invasion of South Korea while the US intentionally denied requested military aid to South Korea because they didn't want Syngman Rhee to start a war.

In June of 1950 the North Koreans, using the military aid supplied to it by the USSR, invaded South Korea and very nearly succeeded in defeating South Korea and its allies. However, UN forces, headed by the United States, successfully counterattacked and defeated the North Korean forces, pushing almost all the way to the Yalu River. The communist Chinese then came in and drove the UN forces back to the parallel and held them there for several years of bloody conflict until an armistice was reached.

The war wouldn't have happened if the North Koreans hadn't attacked south in 1950. It would have been over if the Chinese hadn't gotten involved in 1950. The Chinese have every right to defend their territory, but the UN forces never crossed the border into China.

And as a practical matter, the North Koreans had to be extremely ignorant to look at the might of the US military and what it had done to Japan, a power that far exceeded anything Korea had, and thought "yeah, attacking US forces in South Korea will totally work out well for us."

You should educate yourself instead of just listening to a podcast.