Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Yarrrr mateys, feast yer eyes on this treasure, it be starwars_thephantomedit_tophergracecut-final2-final.mpeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

The Netflix disc service might be the best resource of physical copies of movies at this point

Someone make a robot that sits on your mail slot to open DVDs, rip them, then pack them back up for shipping. Then loop it through whatever is left of the Netflix DVD catalog.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speaking of HBO max, they made a third season of 12 oz Mouse??!! good thing i ate a bunch of weed gummies earlier lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Imma just go back to pirating at this point, and so should everyone else.

i think its good to pay for shows u watch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean at this point it’s less like piracy and more like media preservation, which is absolutely pathetic.

In a perfect world the rise of streaming services should have been a golden age for studios making their entire libraries available. Instead we’re nearing a return to the pre-VHS days unless you have a massive physical media library of your own.

And even that isn’t a guarantee anymore, given how many DVDs and even Blu-rays I have that developed some form of disc rot thanks to the occasional batches of discs with substandard manufacturing.

yes agreed

but then again ive never bought a dvd or w/e and never will

hosed up

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yeah, so the timeline has been set for the merged hbo max/discovery+ service

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1555297992151748608

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

yeah, so the timeline has been set for the merged hbo max/discovery+ service

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1555297992151748608

Sign me up for the ad-only tier! No content, all ads baby!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Enos Cabell posted:

Sign me up for the ad-only tier! No content, all ads baby!

lol I thought the same thing. I know what they mean, but what a dumbass name.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1555298508407599104?s=21&t=15WWm38tLAEH_1zl2dSGjA

They’re already bringing 30 minute furniture commercials into my crazy clown girl channel

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As a man I love to "lean in" and watch scripted content by appointment only.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I find this viscerally repulsive.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Srice posted:

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i already pay for both of these services. everythings coming up milhouse

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's really great how committed the new management seems to be to completely destroying both the companies

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dibs on the cross post to the curse thread

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/tomtopplerr/status/1555303227339448320?s=21&t=4_f181e5p5SCvnpWWodpWw
(It’s at $15.39 now)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Losing 3.4 billion dollars is a lot.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

What's gonna be out first? HBO Discovery Max, or Zaslav as CEO?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They're probably going to try to pivot, but drat.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Srice posted:

Well if Discovery+ is going to be bringing me Genre Doms maybe it won't be all bad.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Srice posted:

who's gonna buy the dip

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Smythe posted:

i think its good to pay for shows u watch

we should put Netflix on like the block chain dood

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I find this viscerally repulsive.

Like literally, what the gently caress are they doing? People have been joking about it, but I really feel like Nathan Fielder is somehow involved here.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

mystes posted:

It's really great how committed the new management seems to be to completely destroying both the companies

Lol this is completely in line with my experience working with wb and hbo Toluca lake dumbasses

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
https://twitter.com/ThatJakePC/status/1555311975588139008

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Powerful Qwikster vibes today

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jolo posted:

Yarrrr mateys, feast yer eyes on this treasure, it be starwars_thephantomedit_tophergracecut-final2-final.mpeg.

I always tout the Star Wars trilogy as the holy grail of why we need piracy. Also I love that there are two similar great theatrical inspired versions of Return of the Jedi to choose from. One with and one without Vader's eyebrows in the helmet off scene. Now that's fun.

smackfu posted:

Imagine having enough time to actually rewatch anything with the firehose of new shows we have now.

I used to not rewatch stuff much, especially TV, movies a little more. These days I find it's a great thing to have in the mix. Last year I rewatched the Sopranos for the first time since it ended in 2007. It was so awesome, and moved it way up my list of favorite shows. Plus I have a fairly good bit of entertainment amnesia, at least for the details.

And since I'd go 20+ years without rewatching a series, the nostalgia is insane. Rewatching Cowboy Bebop lately for example, first had those DVDs from 2000, it was some potent stuff watching that again.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 5, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So a joker and Batman every year

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
holy poo poo... I cannot believe how fun RRR was the entire way through. I was expecting more runtime devoted to action just for the sake of schlocky explosions or whatever, but it felt paced perfectly to me. I'm absolutely interested in reading about critiques of its politics, how it should be interpreted in the modern political climate, etc., but I still think it's worth watching the movie and then thinking about this stuff for yourself. Just absolutely wildly enjoyable from start to finish.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Prey owns. Not as good as Predator 1 or 2, but it's pretty solid. I enjoyed it about as much as I enjoyed Predators.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Prey owns. Not as good as Predator 1 or 2, but it's pretty solid. I enjoyed it about as much as I enjoyed Predators.

Awww sheeeit let’s goooo

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 5, 2022

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Seconding that Prey was good. It doesn't revolutionize the genre, but "survival horror" fits it well. It's absolutely not as "girl power"y as apparently reddit thought it'd be and it has a tight enough script that each big moment feels earned, which is to say that plot points never come out of left field. Also features dogs which is nice.* Plenty of CGI animals so suspend your disbelief, there.

It has a couple of callback lines for the superfans but they are well integrated and none of it feels contingent on knowing any other Predator movie. I think you'd enjoy it most if you just forget about any of the other ones and approach it as "Comanches in the 1700s face an alien threat".

*I know some people don't even want to watch a movie if a dog might be hurt. This is a spoiler regarding that if you need it. the dog does not die

Glottis fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Aug 5, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo, Netflix’s Sandman show just dropped, too. Gonna be a busy weekend. I had forgotten about that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thirding that Prey was a rocking good time. It’s the second best Predator movie! Actual indigenous actors! Creative action! Great new predator design!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo, Netflix’s Sandman show just dropped, too. Gonna be a busy weekend. I had forgotten about that.
Jesus Christ, I just watched RRR and Prey in one day and I gotta start this now.

Prey was indeed very enjoyable. I think these movies work the best when they have basically zero "meta" commentary to them. Each one is a Predator movie, and there doesn't really need to be a cohesive Predator universe. They just need to work as a self-contained movie with a badass idea for an alien species. This one would particularly work as a great intro to the franchise, so I'm loving the idea of someone watching Prey and getting inspired to watch 1 and 2.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Boy Sandman is not off to a good start

No spoilers, just my opinions:
Overexplaining, unnecessary narration and badly telegraphed surprises over maintaining mystery and building anticipation. It’s made for people with no attention spans

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 5, 2022

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Glottis posted:

*I know some people don't even want to watch a movie if a dog might be hurt. This is a spoiler regarding that if you need it. the dog does not die

In a slight addendum to this the dog doesn't, but the predator does push a wolf's poo poo in and some people might find that dog harm adjacent.

Prey is really loving good, see it if you get the chance. Great action, awesome new Predator design, love the bone mask and the shield and the dart/arrows in place of it's blaster. Only slight criticism I would make is I would have cut down the shot's of the pred itself before it fights a bear (and one punches it!), just to draw it out some more. And some characters do say "If it bleeds, we can kill it" and "Come on, do it!", but it didn't feel that fan servicey imo.

About the girl power and redditors/dipshits getting upset possibly, they will anyway because women existing and especially a women of colour existing will drive them mad, but gently caress 'em.

The start of the film is people telling Naru she isn't ready and, well, they're not wrong. She needs her brother to help with the lion and without the dog and the predator itself, that bear kills her real easy She's far from incompetent of course, but she still needs to get better as the movie goes on. It's only by going through the trial of the movie does she become ready. I think a problem with films starring women sometimes is they obviously don't want to be sexist, so they make their leading lady awesome and the best from the jump, but that cuts off any character growth for them. If they're the best at the start of the film, what's the point of the story? Captain Marvel is a bit guilty of this. But here, Naru grows and learns and BECOMES king poo poo.

On a details note, the joke about reloading the guns in that fight is one of the biggest laughs I've had in years. I like that they do the Hunt for Red October thing and the characters are speaking their native language, but we hear English and when the white guys show up, they speak nonsense basically. I also appreciate that they don't do what other movies have done and make the predator honourable or a good guy, he's better than the trappers of course and seems angry about the buffalo thing as well, but he is still the villain.

Also, the film has A Very Good Boy, possibly the Goodest Boy.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Martman posted:

holy poo poo... I cannot believe how fun RRR was the entire way through. I was expecting more runtime devoted to action just for the sake of schlocky explosions or whatever, but it felt paced perfectly to me. I'm absolutely interested in reading about critiques of its politics, how it should be interpreted in the modern political climate, etc., but I still think it's worth watching the movie and then thinking about this stuff for yourself. Just absolutely wildly enjoyable from start to finish.

I have no way of knowing if this critique is valid or not, but at the very least I found it to be a great primer to some of the knottier political themes below the surface that I was not aware of.

https://buttondown.email/riteshwriter/archive/6-unpacking-rrr-indian-politics-and-cinema/

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Prey is awesome. I love Predator and it's always going to be number 1 for me but Prey is a better movie and it's a crime that it wasn't released in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

N-thing the sentiment that Prey is a really good time. Extremely pretty cinematography with the landscape shots, a very cool predator design that feels fitting while still introducing fun new toys, and a very nice sense of escalation and earned victories. The only real criticism I have is that a handful of the cuts in some of the fight scenes are a bit too short/quick, but not to the point where you lose track of what's going on.