Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Creative control: Not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Creative control: Not even once.

This wasn't a creative control situation though! Hogan sabotaged it without having to invoke that.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Sting should have whooped Nick Patrick's rear end preferably live on nitro

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Hogan creative control talk reminds me, was there any truth to what Vince Russo talked about in that promo from Bash at the Beach 2000 about Hogan invoking his creative control to give himself the title?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If Hogan was using his creative control he wouldn't have had Jeff Jarret let him win. Hogan would have an entire Guitar Center broken over his head and kick out at one, then Hulk up and win.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

From some of the public court documents it seemed like Hogan had the belt or knew when he was winning it back when he lost it or he was saying no to the result.

EDIT
Hogan also seems to try and really really stretch the definition of what, "control over outcomes" means.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 18, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I imagine there were definitely times when we'd just get "that doesn't work for me, brother" as opposed to invoking the magical clause because everybody knew it was going to lead to that anyway so technically Hogan didn't use it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I’d imagine the threat of the clause and Eric’s love of hogan already did a lot more than the clause itself

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hogan was a medication that will save your life in the short term but ruin you if you have to take it for too long.
By the time Starrcade 97 rolled around it was time to tell Hogan 'no'. But WCW ultimately held no leverage over him because Bischoff gave him the moon. They couldn't even say 'play ball or we'll make you sit out the remainder of your contract in catering' because that was exactly what Hogan wanted so he could gently caress off, get his massive checks and try to be a TV/Movie star.
So into the dumpster of history you go WCW. If you can't survive without Hogan you weren't going to survive anyway.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't know if anyone had a bigger redemption story in terms of their general overness and how much the crowds loved him more than Hogan in WCW. I've mentioned it before, but the mid-90s WCW stuff when Hogan and all of his pals first showed up was absolutely miserable. It was so clear that it was becoming the Hulk Hogan Show (featuring WCW) and watching it back now, the way he and his friends were crammed down everyone's throats was done in the most hamfisted of ways. Then the nWo happens and suddenly, Hogan is the cool one and the crowds actually turn around and start liking him because he's doing something new that he hadn't done on TV for decades.

It must have been hard to push back on a guy like that who reinvented himself on a Jericho level (though Hogan only did it this one time, really) and was part of the company becoming a huge force. Not that any of his behavior is excusable, but the overall situation must have just made it impossible for anyone to want to deny him or risk making him unhappy considering how he ended up being positioned.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

It must have been hard to push back on a guy like that who reinvented himself on a Jericho level (though Hogan only did it this one time, really) and was part of the company becoming a huge force. Not that any of his behavior is excusable, but the overall situation must have just made it impossible for anyone to want to deny him or risk making him unhappy considering how he ended up being positioned.

Is Hogan's Mr. America run regarded fondly? (I know Jericho does, but he was part of it.)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Is Hogan's Mr. America run regarded fondly? (I know Jericho does, but he was part of it.)

I loved the Mr. America run because of how much they leaned into the absurdity. It's the same reason Elias and his mysterious brother trolling the gently caress out of Kevin Owens is good. Like what I actually liked about it was being in on the joke and watching the bad guy get really mad that everyone was gaslighting him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah everything about Mister America was done with tongue planted firmly in cheek and it was great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In Hogan’s 2nd (I guess technically 3rd) run, most stuff he did outside his time as WWE Champion was fun. Good tag matches, putting over a surprising amount of folks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mr. America was mildly funnier than WWE's usual bad comedy so people remember it being great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In Hogan’s 2nd (I guess technically 3rd) run, most stuff he did outside his time as WWE Champion was fun. Good tag matches, putting over a surprising amount of folks.

Putting over Brock, then wanting his win back and not coming back.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Putting over Brock, then wanting his win back and not coming back.

It was great to see him eat poo poo on that

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Of Hogan's many many faults, one of the pettiest that I am still annoyed by is that, (if I remember it rightly), killed Randy Orton's "Legend Killer" run.

I mean we did get CarKO out of it, but it was stupid and bad that a young, fit, over Randy was not able, or allowed to get a win over old, has-been, promoting his daughters reality TV show Hogan.

I know it is one of the lesser of his crimes. But it still shits me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hulk hogan is 19-0 against ortons not counting battle royals. if you count them then he's 21-0. both of the battle royals he won against an orton, two people won the battle royal. one was a tag team battle royal, but i don't want to say that, but i kind of have to in case someone thinks i didn't know that one of them was a tag team battle royal. if someone thinks that i'll start crying my rear end off

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was at a house show at Continental arena within a few months of Hogan's return to WWE in 2000 while he was still with the nWo and was still Hollywood. The place was just going absolutely ballistic for him, to the point that he started doing his Hulk Hogan face bits and the place went even crazier. I'll admit I loved Hogan back in the day as a kid, but by 2000 I despised him, but it was still absolutely spine tingling watching him and the place just go crazy for him

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
These are all of the televised/PPV jobs Hogan did (not counting losing by DQ, countout, no-contests, etc.)

Wrestlemania X-8 - The Rock (clean)
Judgment Day 2002 - The Undertaker (Vince McMahon comes down to run inteference, Undertaker brains Hogan with a chairshot)
Smackdown 6/4/2002 - Triple H (clean)
King of the Ring 2002 - Kurt Angle (clean)
Vengeance 2002 - The Unamericans (both Jericho and Test interfered, leading Edge to get pinned)
Smackdown 8/6/2002 - Brock Lesnar (clean)
No Way Out 2003 - The Rock (Vince McMahon interference, blackout distraction, crooked referee, chairshot)

In the same era, he got clean/clean-ish wins over Triple H, Chris Jericho, Ric Flair, Vince McMahon, Roddy Piper, Shawn Michaels, and Randy Orton.

By Hogan standards incredibly giving, but otherwise not so much

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 20, 2022

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Straight tapped to Angle.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

Straight tapped to Angle.

Passed out in a bear hug to Lesnar too

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What else was he gonna do, let Brock Lesnar kill him for real?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

These are all of the televised/PPV jobs Hogan did (not counting losing by DQ, countout, no-contests, etc.)

Wrestlemania X-8 - The Rock (clean)
Judgment Day 2002 - The Undertaker (Vince McMahon comes down to run inteference, Undertaker brains Hogan with a chairshot)
Smackdown 6/4/2002 - Triple H (clean)
King of the Ring 2002 - Kurt Angle (clean)
Vengeance 2002 - The Unamericans (both Jericho and Test interfered, leading Edge to get pinned)
Smackdown 8/6/2002 - Brock Lesnar (clean)
No Way Out 2003 - The Rock (Vince McMahon interference, blackout distraction, crooked referee, chairshot)

In the same era, he got clean/clean-ish wins over Triple H, Chris Jericho, Ric Flair, Vince McMahon, Roddy Piper, Shawn Michaels, and Randy Orton.

By Hogan standards incredibly giving, but otherwise not so much

He didn't have creative control during his first contract so he didn't have much choice. By the mid aughts he had creative control and things got funnier.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Me America was a throwback to territory days when a face lost a loser leaves town match. But just comes back a few weeks/months later.

Dusty lost a match and came back as the midnight rider, which was a black mask and a cowboy hat. Jimmy valiant with his ZZ Top beard came back as Charlie Brown from outta town. When Cena lost to Wade Barrett his luchadore cousin from Mexico took his place on house shows he was advertised at.

It’s the easiest thing to do right. As stated above, seeing a heel get gaslighted is always great.

https://youtu.be/7nRQgksaF2o

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 20, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Defiance Industries posted:

What else was he gonna do, let Brock Lesnar kill him for real?

Would 1970's MMA Hogan beat prime Lesnar?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Dawgstar posted:

My Mr. America story is that I created a wrestler in whichever the current version of the Smackdown! game was out at the time who was basically The Tick only a wrestler and because I was goofing around I named him Mr. America and decked him out in all the red white and blue ring gear possible. My roommates at the time were trying to play the PS2 wrestling game 'seriously' and hated this guy being part of our in-apartment fed. And then like two weeks later we were watching Smackdown on tv and a promo video pops up letting us know that 'the fighting spirit of America, Mr. America is coming' and it was amazing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Animal-Mother posted:

Would 1970's MMA Hogan beat prime Lesnar?

Absolutely. Just ask him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Brother, the Hulkster broke the Undertaker's arm and that dude has magic lightning powers, jack.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTiMUXDu1eA

I think about this video often

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The American Dream posted:

Dusty lost a match and came back as the midnight rider, which was a black mask and a cowboy hat. Jimmy valiant with his ZZ Top beard came back as Charlie Brown from outta town.

Get a load of this goon. Next you'll be saying Stagger Lee was actually Junkyard Dog. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/vintagepuro/status/1550195904879140864?s=20

Oh this is amazing lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1555238483580559367

forever one of the best NWO moments

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
This cool rear end poo poo happened on August 4, 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWijf0QL9MM

Man, so much hype and so much celebration. Compare that to Starrcade 97

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And who's right there in the first group of dudes to celebrate with him?

GLACIER!

You gotta have him out there, he's cooler than cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tato posted:

This cool rear end poo poo happened on August 4, 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWijf0QL9MM

Man, so much hype and so much celebration. Compare that to Starrcade 97

Geez, Hogan must have liked Luger. He tapped out and didn't immediately pop right back up in disbelief.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Geez, Hogan must have liked Luger. He tapped out and didn't immediately pop right back up in disbelief.

Nah Hogan knew he'd getting the title back quickly anyway so could wait to make him look like a chump

Edit: I wouldn't have done the title switch till the Sting match but since they did they 100% should of kept the title on Luger till Starrcade and did Hogan/Sting as non title

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Normally I would agree on anything that involves Hogan not being champion but I can't get behind that. Not 100% anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nah Hogan knew he'd getting the title back quickly anyway so could wait to make him look like a chump

Edit: I wouldn't have done the title switch till the Sting match but since they did they 100% should of kept the title on Luger till Starrcade and did Hogan/Sting as non title

Career versus break up the NWO or something would make sense.