Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like you have a stainless steel moka pot, I stopped using my aluminum one after reading about how much aluminum you actually ingest (I'm always a skeptic but it's actually a worrisome amount), I've heard the SS ones don't work as well, is that true? Is it basically the same?

I used to use a stainless one and now use an alu one. Almost entirely because the steel one was sold out everywhere when I broke my old venus.
I noticed no real difference. It might take a bit longer to heat, but that is little enough difference that I am not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

OldSenileGuy posted:

There's nothing really that I would say isn't working out, it's just annoying in several ways. It feels very binary (it's either "too hot" or "not hot enough") and I feel like i don't really have the level of control that I'm used to. It feels not hot enough, so I turn it up and then it gets too hot and stays that way too long and i end up burning whatever I'm making. Part of that can be fixed by me figuring out how to use it better (the aforementioned "take it off the burner" method), but....I don't wanna.

You're basically where I've been on and off over the past 8 years, living in a rental with an electric flat top. I ultimately never pulled the trigger on an induction burner because I kept reading about the noise that the portable ones make and we just didn't have room to justify yet another appliance that just duplicated our stove.

Best advice I can give you is to be really proactive with your heat management. I pretty much never turn my burners past halfway unless I am boiling a pot of water. Even if I'm searing I may only go up to 6-7/10 and that only briefly. And I rarely do anything that requires precise control or fast reactions, like poaching fish or deep frying. It can be done but it's a pain and generally not worth it for me. I also don't do ripping hot searing, but that's more due to poor ventilation and a spouse who is far more odor-sensitive than I am.

It sucks and goondolences, we are moving to a place with a gas cooktop, proper ventilation, and a patio in a month and the improved cooking experience is genuinely one of the most exciting things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the whine in my experience has to do with the pan. If it’s not flat on the bottom it seems to cause problems for me. Flat ones are silent, at least to my ears.

I really only use my induction burner for hotpot and other tableside cooking, but it does the job really well and I’d be tempted to use it as my primary if I were forced to use an electric resistance stove.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Basically any portable induction burners Ive used have a whine that hurts my ears so I just put in headphones if using one lol

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've heard some people say that and I guess I'm just crossing my fingers that that isn't an issue for me.

However, having said that, how loud are we talking for this whine? Is it like - "slightly annoying" levels, or is it "can't do anything else while it's happening" levels?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've heard some people say that and I guess I'm just crossing my fingers that that isn't an issue for me.

However, having said that, how loud are we talking for this whine? Is it like - "slightly annoying" levels, or is it "can't do anything else while it's happening" levels?

Depends on the pan and burner to be honest.

I had a portable cooktop and some pans did worse than others. I now have an induction stove and it’s the same thing. Some like my all-clad don’t make a sound, but one random cuisinart nonstick is whiny where’s it’s this high pitched buzz and kind of annoying to cook with.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A good portion of my pans whined with my Duxtop. Swapped for a NuWave and none of them do. Whether that's a coincidence unique to me I'm not sure!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s been said that newer ones don’t have the whine but I don’t know how true that is or if it’s across the board

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Discussion Quorum posted:

Best advice I can give you is to be really proactive with your heat management. I pretty much never turn my burners past halfway unless I am boiling a pot of water. Even if I'm searing I may only go up to 6-7/10 and that only briefly. And I rarely do anything that requires precise control or fast reactions, like poaching fish or deep frying. It can be done but it's a pain and generally not worth it for me. I also don't do ripping hot searing, but that's more due to poor ventilation and a spouse who is far more odor-sensitive than I am.
I've used electric all my life and I agree with this advice.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I pretty much never turn my burners past halfway unless I am boiling a pot of water. Even if I'm searing I may only go up to 6-7/10 and that only briefly. And I rarely do anything that requires precise control or fast reactions, like poaching fish or deep frying. It can be done but it's a pain and generally not worth it for me.
This is pretty much the opposite of what I do. It's so slow to respond that I find that a lot of the time I have to be incredibly aggressive about proactively cranking it up to 10/10 or turning it off and/or taking stuff off the burner based on what direction the temperature is changing in and what i want it to be. If you just leave it on medium it's going to require less attention but it will be even less responsive and you may never get up to high enough temperatures for what you're doing.

I'd say that unlike gas the number is almost completely meaningless because you aren't controlling the heat so much as the rate of change of the heat.

And I do deep fry on it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 3, 2022

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mystes posted:

This is pretty much the opposite of what I do. It's so slow to respond that I find that a lot of the time I have to be incredibly aggressive about proactively cranking it up to 10/10 or turning it off and/or taking stuff off the burner based on what direction the temperature is changing in and what i want it to be. If you just leave it on medium it's going to require less attention but it will be even less responsive and you may never get up to high enough temperatures for what you're doing.

I'd say that unlike gas the number is almost completely meaningless because you aren't controlling the heat so much as the rate of change of the heat.

And I do deep fry on it.

Same here. I pretty much crank it to max regardless of what I'm cooking to get the pan hot, get the food in there, then fiddle with the heat until it's where I want it. Get too hot too quick? Just move the pan off the burner and wait a few seconds for it to cool down.

I've cooked exclusively on electric (both coil and glass-top) for the past ~15 years and realized that every range is going to be different, so I think it just takes more experimentation and more cooking until you're comfortable with what you can get away with.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

It seems strange to me that bathroom fans are nearly ubiquitous in homes built within the last few decades yet externally vented range hoods seem far less common than recirculating types. Is this because they require so much more cfm or are people only doing code minimums?

I’ve seen more of them in modern builds where the big stainless hood is an aesthetic feature. Makes me wonder if that’s just part of the trend to make residential kitchens more prosumer level or if people are actually caring about indoor air quality more.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

tonedef131 posted:

are people only doing code minimums?

Makes me wonder if that’s just part of the trend to make residential kitchens more prosumer level or if people are actually caring about indoor air quality more.

To the first one, yes. To the second one, neither. It's to make residential kitchens *look* sleek and professional and functional and modern.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

tonedef131 posted:

It seems strange to me that bathroom fans are nearly ubiquitous in homes built within the last few decades yet externally vented range hoods seem far less common than recirculating types. Is this because they require so much more cfm or are people only doing code minimums?

I’ve seen more of them in modern builds where the big stainless hood is an aesthetic feature. Makes me wonder if that’s just part of the trend to make residential kitchens more prosumer level or if people are actually caring about indoor air quality more.

In my opinion in America, not that many people are interested enough in cooking to know about and want a vented hood.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tonedef131 posted:

A lot of those old bathroom fans just vented into the attic. And codes have changed so it all needs to be externally vented now.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A lot of those old bathroom fans just vented into the attic. And codes have changed so it all needs to be externally vented now.
My last house had it just run into the attic, but it was a tiny ranch with massive open gables on each end and a whole house attic fan. Seems like a recipe for mold unless it was set up kinda like that.

I'm in the process of replacing my recirc style range hood with an externally vented one using a roof mounted blower. I wanted a contractor to do the 10" ducting and cold air make up and could not get a single place to call me back. Finally went in person to one place and they admitted that it's just a poo poo job they don't really make any money off of and they really just do them as a favor to builders in new construction. Way more hassle than I would have imagined and I can't imagine anyone who doesn't cook with really high heat a lot would go to all the trouble and expense I've had to.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
electric stoves:

they're all different, yeah. a lot of it seems to have to do with age and quality. I prefer glass-top electric but only because I've never really had a chance to adjust to gas.

one handy (?) trick I've found is to keep my kettle full of water. whenever I'm done with a burner I put the kettle on it. this is mostly because my kitchen is tiny and random things get put on the stove more often than they should. a better solution would of course be to not ever do this...

ventilation:

my only real option would be to vent it directly into my attic, which seems odd to do. is there some kind of grease-capture system that could be put on the other end, or what do people end up doing? I know my childhood house just had an open greasy pipe into the attic.

alternatively, is there any recirculation system that actually does anything at all?

I deep-fry stuff occasionally and my whole house ends up smelling like chicken grease.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

ventilation:

my only real option would be to vent it directly into my attic, which seems odd to do. is there some kind of grease-capture system that could be put on the other end, or what do people end up doing? I know my childhood house just had an open greasy pipe into the attic.

alternatively, is there any recirculation system that actually does anything at all?

I deep-fry stuff occasionally and my whole house ends up smelling like chicken grease.
If you can get into the attic should you be able to punch through the roof or siding to get it outside?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tonedef131 posted:

If you can get into the attic should you be able to punch through the roof or siding to get it outside?

That’s a more complicated thing because you have to properly seal it on the outside which can be a pain with siding and/or shingles. That said, I do t think venting it into the attic is a good thing either. Best bet may be to find a one man contractor/handyman type and pay him to do it. But, make sure he’s licensed and insured. Ask to see it or look it up on your state’s board.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That’s a more complicated thing because you have to properly seal it on the outside which can be a pain with siding and/or shingles.
Well sure, and if you aren’t capable of it then you should hire it out. But what you should definitely not do is continually pump hot deep fry air into your attic.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
On the plus side, your house will smell like fried chicken as it burns to the ground

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

tonedef131 posted:

there's an addition on the kitchen side, so I'd have to go through a either the roof or the roof and then another roof (or pipe it another 15' to a gable)

I'm opposed to ever punching any hole in a roof for any reason. the people who had the addition built put one of those turbine things over the (inaccessible) roof space and I ended up with a large rotted section that necessitated a new roof (in that spot) and a new ceiling (after the aforementioned roof space filled pretty thoroughly with water).

I know it can be done well in theory but I've never heard a story about for example a skylight that didn't end with the moral "do not ever get a skylight"

On the plus side, your house will smell like fried chicken as it burns to the ground

oh yeah. the main attic space routinely gets up to I'm going to say 140 F in the summer and I'm trying to avoid both original style and extra crispy death

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

BrianBoitano posted:

Post the model number. Sight unseen I'd check the seals and run vinegar through it - a half gallon of vinegar in the basin should do it. Almost all dishwashers recirculate the water, so that vinegar should get dispersed through the sprayer arms.

I just finally remembered to follow up on this today... it's a Bosch washer* and the sprayer comes apart like a dream. it was also really clean, so now I'm even more puzzled as to why the top rack isn't getting clean. I'm going to try the vinegar thing.

*Boscher

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

It’s been said that newer ones don’t have the whine but I don’t know how true that is or if it’s across the board

Induction whine varies based on many factors:
High power vs low power. If you're trying to temper chocolate, you won't hear a whine. If you're trying to boil water fast, it will whine.
Weight of the pan. Small, lightweight pans buzz more than heavy Dutch ovens.
Flatness of the bottom. Old pans that have a slight curve from years of use will whine more than a perfectly flat pan.

Regardless, I would rather deal with a bit of buzz than ever go back to radiant electric. I use induction at home and a commercial gas stove at work. I find them equally responsive to temperature changes. Radiant electric? Not responsive at all.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Here's a weird request: A small ice cream scoop.

I make meatballs in bulk. I mix the meat and other ingredients in a stand mixer, then scoop out 1-inch meatballs, which I vacuum seal and freeze. In a few hours, I can prep, seal, and freeze enough pasta, marinara sauce, and meatballs for 40 or 50 servings. When I don't know what to cook for the family, I pull out a bag of each. The pasta boils for 5 minutes, the sauce heats in the microwave for 10 minutes, and the meatballs bake for 15 minutes.

The ice cream scoops I've used kind of suck. The meat sticks to the metal, even when it's cold. The scoops with the mechanical scraper skip gears and wear out pretty fast.

So...is there a brand of ice cream scoop that you particularly like?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bagheera posted:

Here's a weird request: A small ice cream scoop.

I make meatballs in bulk. I mix the meat and other ingredients in a stand mixer, then scoop out 1-inch meatballs, which I vacuum seal and freeze. In a few hours, I can prep, seal, and freeze enough pasta, marinara sauce, and meatballs for 40 or 50 servings. When I don't know what to cook for the family, I pull out a bag of each. The pasta boils for 5 minutes, the sauce heats in the microwave for 10 minutes, and the meatballs bake for 15 minutes.

The ice cream scoops I've used kind of suck. The meat sticks to the metal, even when it's cold. The scoops with the mechanical scraper skip gears and wear out pretty fast.

So...is there a brand of ice cream scoop that you particularly like?

Zeroll makes many different sizes for simple scoops with different color bottoms to indicate their size
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=zeroll+ice+cream+scoop&crid=D0JXF5H6EHGH&sprefix=zeroll+%2Caps%2C193&ref=nb_sb_ss_mission-aware-v1_1_7

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 4, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

And Zeroll makes many different sizes for simple scoops
Yeah, with the caveat that you can't run them through the dishwasher, if you want a simple scoop you want a Zeroll.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah, with the caveat that you can't run them through the dishwasher, if you want a simple scoop you want a Zeroll.

Mr fancy pants here is too good for black smears on his vanilla ice cream

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The point of a Zeroll is the liquid in the handle heats the scoop, helping scoop frozen ice cream. If you're scooping room-temp or fridge-temp raw ground meat, that's of no benefit and you could just use any spoon with a good shape.

It's a great ice cream scoop, it's just kind of pointless for coolish ground meat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How big are talking for these meat balls? I would think a regular disher would be better

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a bunch of dishers with scraper things that I've had for a few years and I haven't had any problems with them wearing out yet

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

How big are talking for these meat balls? I would think a regular disher would be better

Disher would be my vote as well.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

About 1 inch diameter.
What's a disher?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A window wiper scoop

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

The point of a Zeroll is the liquid in the handle heats the scoop, helping scoop frozen ice cream. If you're scooping room-temp or fridge-temp raw ground meat, that's of no benefit and you could just use any spoon with a good shape.
I've never seen a spoon with remotely as good a shape for scooping.

Like I guess if you're making fuckin' quenelles lyonnaises or something maybe. But for meatballs? I mean I guess, full disclosure here, with the disclaimer that I'm a little skeptical about getting good consistency meatballs using any scoop, but if I was trying to crank out a shitload of meatballs using a single utensil I'd way the gently caress rather have a scoop than a spoon.

Edit: And, I mean, I'd actually just use my hands for quenelles as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nothing like munching on grandma’s meat quenelles.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could also just use a super cheap solid scoop. I mean there's no reason to get a Zeroll specifically, because its defining expensive feature is not useful here.

Bagheera posted:

About 1 inch diameter.
What's a disher?
Like one of those cookie scoops with a thing that goes across. Which brands of those have you wrecked so far? I think a better brand is probably your best shot.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Am I the only one who does meat tetrahedrons? They sit flat on the skillet and you get more crispy bits while still having a big chunk for sinking your teeth into. Thematically they're somewhere between smash burgers (maximizing crispy surface area) and meat spheres (maximizing volume, even cooking) in that way.

If you have branding irons you can turn them into D4s for casting magic missile! Unfortunately they don't tile space, but they do boast a 85.63% packing efficiency which is much better than 74% for spheres.

I'm actually serious that when I hand-form I do triangle pyramids, the nerd stuff is just being silly. I do use a disher when speed is essential

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

You could also just use a super cheap solid scoop. I mean there's no reason to get a Zeroll specifically, because its defining expensive feature is not useful here.
As someone who used super cheap scoops previously and recently did an entirely unconscionable amount of research on ice cream scoops: no. The core is not the only reason to get a Zeroll.

Like I guess there might be some cheap knockoff that's made in the same factory for a quarter the price or whatever. So if you've got a line on that, cool. But the physical design of the Zeroll scoop makes a better scoop and releases better than either of the random no-name pieces of poo poo I had been using or the US$15 Oxo no-wiper scoop (Oxo makes like a dozen so some of them might be better, I dunno).

And the machining/fit and finish on the Zeroll is better than on the Oxo or the no-names. In the case of the Oxo the difference is mostly cosmetic, but molding/machining on the no-names is just scuzzy enough to make them a little bit more of a pain in the rear end to clean, especially if anything manages to dry in the bowl.

I mean I honestly don't give a poo poo what scoop anyone else is using, so whatever. But the "expensive" option is like US$20 and it'll last more or less forever, and the cheap ones are like US$5 and need to be replaced every couple years so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm looking at chest freezers in the 7 cu.ft. range. I had a 5 cu.ft. Whirlpool for a long time that was great until the gasket developed a leak and the replacement part had been discontinued. Now I guess they don't make anything less than 9 cu.ft. and the jump in price is substantial. Looks like Frigidaire at $300ish and GE at $400ish are my local options, plus a couple brands I know less about (Hisense and Hotpoint). Is the GE really worth $100 more than the Frigidaire?

They're both supposedly "garage ready" (lol I'm not prepared to bet that my garage will never cross 110F)