Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I told a co-worker that they can save something by looking for the image of a floppy in a menu and they were like "floppy? what?" and I instantly aged like that dude in Indiana Jones

I hope that icon remains ubiquitous for as long as computers are a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Why is the Excel save icon a vending machine?

https://twitter.com/fea0er/status/1160099135569063936?t=zkvClAWYM7YoulXMsbvBCA&s=19

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

God drat children.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Dear users,

Please, for gently caress's sake, stop creating a loving Team for every. drat. thing. There are things called "Channels" and even "Threads" which are more suitable for the 10 messages which will get posted in that Team before I leave in disgust. I realize Slack makes things easier to organize because they focus on channels rather than Workspaces, but gently caress it is not that hard to be organized.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ynglaur posted:

Dear users,

Please, for gently caress's sake, stop creating a loving Team for every. drat. thing. There are things called "Channels" and even "Threads" which are more suitable for the 10 messages which will get posted in that Team before I leave in disgust. I realize Slack makes things easier to organize because they focus on channels rather than Workspaces, but gently caress it is not that hard to be organized.

I proposed we create one Teams channel for "Projects" and create subchannels that were private to each project our group was working on and NOPE we'd rather have a billion teams channels that will be ignored.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GreenNight posted:

God drat children.

the children don't even know what files are.

https://www.theverge.com/22684730/students-file-folder-directory-structure-education-gen-z

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

My current Teams client is 2 screens tall. Of teams. On a 4K monitor.

gently caress. I just realized that doesn't include Hidden Teams.

On the bright side, we'll probably hit the org limit before Microsoft increases it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ynglaur posted:

Dear users,

We decided to just use chats for small groups because everyone kept loving with the teams. No, just because someone isn’t here today doesn’t mean you should make a new team, you’ll lose all your shared poo poo if you do that that’s why all your poo poo is gone and fragmented!

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 4, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have 26 Skype chats right now. I have Skyped with six people at this company since I started here.

Just creating a bunch of new channels to send a message instead of using an existing one.

I've tried setting one up for a specific project and it got ignored after about three messages.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
I've been looking at a new shell for windows. I've tried start11, startisback and openShell.
Out of those, openShells seems the nicest and I think I'll go with that for what I need.

Are there any other replacement shells that I should have a look at?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah I took a programming class a while ago - command prompt and powershell were a serious stumbling block for some of the young uns because they didn’t understand directories. So after two weeks, most of the class are coding away and a hapless few still stuck struggling to install pip.

E: same as the article, the prof was taken aback and it took him a while to cook up an extra lesson in how to navigate a computer :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 4, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

jokes posted:

We decided to just use chats for small groups because everyone kept loving with the teams. No, just because someone isn’t here today doesn’t mean you should make a new team, you’ll lose all your shared poo poo if you do that that’s why all your poo poo is gone and fragmented!

MS Teams needs a way to create channels, and for that probably to be the default.

Chats are pretty bad and can be removed trivially.
Teams are too "heavyweight" and have their own weird limitations, plus people don't use them correctly after 7 years or however long it's been. (Love to have a "Developers" team that only has around 50 people in it, but has separate channels for General, Azure, Blockchain, F# (!), Cloud (?), Java, and .NET.)

Also love that people @ the channel name almost every time they post something so they break your notification settings.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Make a 'Blockchain' channel and track who simps for that trash and then proceed to put them on the 'definitely lay this person off' list.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Javid posted:

Is there a way to record all sound activity on the device, or at least one program? I would like to be able to record voip calls i make on it, which the voip software itself doesn't do

Most meeting software (Teams, Webex, Zoom, etc) has an option to record meetings. You should be able to start the voip call, create a meeting, dial into it with the voip line everyone is on, then record the meeting. This option has the bonus of hosting the recording for you so you don't need to backup/upload a locally saved copy.

Like others have said, some states require two party consent for recording and best practice legally is to follow the consent laws of the more restrictive state. Also it's generally just the ethical option to ask/tell people you're recording even in a one-party consent state.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 5, 2022

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Literally just looking to capture all device audio to a wav or mp3 or whatever file. I'll check into OBS, thanks; I just recall that's a big install for something that (should be) not that complicated so I'm hoping for a less nuclear option

e: obs actually just does that with minimal hassle. cool, thanks!

Javid fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 5, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

~Coxy posted:

MS Teams needs a way to create channels, and for that probably to be the default.

Chats are pretty bad and can be removed trivially.
Teams are too "heavyweight" and have their own weird limitations, plus people don't use them correctly after 7 years or however long it's been. (Love to have a "Developers" team that only has around 50 people in it, but has separate channels for General, Azure, Blockchain, F# (!), Cloud (?), Java, and .NET.)

Also love that people @ the channel name almost every time they post something so they break your notification settings.

Yes, we need to teach children in grammar school that @channel is the equivalent of coming into a room and shouting for everyone's attention. It's totally warranted in some contexts ("There's a fire in the building! Production is down and we'll all be fired if it's not up by the end of the day! Margaret brought those amazing donuts again and they're in the break room!"), but mostly it's just rude.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Javid posted:

Literally just looking to capture all device audio to a wav or mp3 or whatever file. I'll check into OBS, thanks; I just recall that's a big install for something that (should be) not that complicated so I'm hoping for a less nuclear option

e: obs actually just does that with minimal hassle. cool, thanks!

OBS is good as you can see. Audacity may also work for you to simply record audio.

If you use the meeting hosting service to record audio or video, the good thing about that is that it may notify everyone for you when you hit record, I know Google Meet does (in the paid version).

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm not paying $150 for a standalone version of office 2021, especially when I only paid $5 for windows 10 itself.

Any preferred places to purchase valid keys?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Demilich posted:

I'm not paying $150 for a standalone version of office 2021, especially when I only paid $5 for windows 10 itself.

Any preferred places to purchase valid keys?

Goon Lodge North sells keys in these very forums. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Medullah posted:

Goon Lodge North sells keys in these very forums. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

Seconded, got mine fast and easy

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I have purchased several keys from that guy's website over the last couple years, they have all been in my inbox within half an hour and worked perfectly

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Sounds excellent I'll check it out in a bit

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

At least a few years ago, "Certified for Skype/Teams" seemed to have a noticeable impact on audio quality, in particularly outgoing microphone. Is that still true to any degree? I've kept up enough to realize that Bluetooth has a bunch of new versions in the past few years and handles high-def audio and stuff, but I don't know the practical impact of those new versions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's no difference in audio quality, but if you're on Teams as a company there is no reason not to buy the certified versions of the devices. I only work with Poly, but the Teams SKUs of their headsets and speakerphones are the same price as the non-Teams version. A Teams certified headset will be used as the default audio device by the Teams client, and the Teams button has functionality that the standard call control button doesn't - the latest feature is a long press raises your hand in a meeting.

The only reason not to buy Teams certified versions of things is if you don't use Teams and think having the logo on the headset would confuse people.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a set of wireless earbuds instead of behind-the-neck thing that's a few years old. The cost for e.g. Jabra Elite 7 Pro is much higher than the Jabra Elite 7 Active or Elite 4 Active.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It feels that by the time you're selling an "Elite 7 Pro" of something you should probably have moved to a new naming scheme.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tesseraction posted:

It feels that by the time you're selling an "Elite 7 Pro" of something you should probably have moved to a new naming scheme.

Just wait for the Elite 7 Pro+

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Elite 7 Pro Plus Platinum X Sapphire Extreme Edition Sigma Delta 9 was recalled last week after customer reports revealed the earbud was merely a frozen cockroach covered in lead paint.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

(Red) version will be better

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Why would M$ just start charging me $24.99/mo for "Basic Monthly [is a monthly subscription to Microsoft 365 and includes all the services Microsoft has to offer: SharePoint, Teams, Skype for ...]"?

People also ask Why is Microsoft charging me a monthly fee? posted:

Sometimes, when you make multiple purchases at Microsoft Store over a few days, they'll be billed as one charge. To check: Sign in to your Order history. If you have more than one Microsoft account, sign in to each one to check your order history.

It was sent to me on my primary live.com address. I haven't purchased anything in the Office family nor paid for anything from the store. :iiam:

Is there a class action with which to lawsuit this? If I hadn't noticed the charge it could have been $300/yr of something I never asked for.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Why would M$ just start charging me $24.99/mo for "Basic Monthly [is a monthly subscription to Microsoft 365 and includes all the services Microsoft has to offer: SharePoint, Teams, Skype for ...]"?

It was sent to me on my primary live.com address. I haven't purchased anything in the Office family nor paid for anything from the store. :iiam:

Is there a class action with which to lawsuit this? If I hadn't noticed the charge it could have been $300/yr of something I never asked for.

Did someone get your password and order it? That seems really weird

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

To get the obvious out the way, are you sure it's a legit invoice? Not a phishing effort with a "contact us to dispute this invoice by phoning this number" thing?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Thanks Ants posted:

To get the obvious out the way, are you sure it's a legit invoice? Not a phishing effort with a "contact us to dispute this invoice by phoning this number" thing?

I got an email from microsoft-noreply@microsoft.com with a link to account.microsoft.com/services/ saying

quote:

Billing history
Date Paid with Amount
8/9/2022 Visa **XXXX $24.99
8/2/2022 Visa **XXXX $0.00

as though I'd signed up for a one-week free trial and then got billed.

I had recently bought a new phone and added my card to google pay. Honestly that seems the only way microsoft would even have that card but I never signed on for Teams or Skype or anything.

e:

Last Chance posted:

Did someone get your password and order it? That seems really weird

That would be a weird thing to do. Pranked me good I guess. I would have thought of something funnier. Or maybe they could have upgraded me to Windows Pro as a treat.

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 12, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you logged into your Microsoft account and checked your transaction history?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-investigate-a-billing-charge-from-microsoft-398c5328-364c-d5e4-ea8f-f5ad60562a93

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 12, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Yeah. That leads to account.microsoft.com/services/&c which I was on.

They don't detail how or why the card was billed and none of their suggestions there really fits my case.

Oh well.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd be making a fraud report to my bank at that point

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would not do that, Microsoft is likely to close your account and that could be bad. Reach out to Microsoft and see what they say.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah. That leads to account.microsoft.com/services/&c which I was on.

They don't detail how or why the card was billed and none of their suggestions there really fits my case.

Oh well.

Why are we suggesting all these weird ways to verify?

Just call or live chat MS and they’ll tell you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wouldn't call logging into your account and checking your order history a weird way to verify, but I agree reaching out to MS is a good next step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I wouldn't call logging into your account and checking your order history a weird way to verify, but I agree reaching out to MS is a good next step.

I mean, people are talking about fraud reporting and such, and OP already verified nothing shady in transaction history.