Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Going on drives literally just to get out of the house. Drive 20 miles east, then exit and turnaround. It was so foreign to be home without leaving for a whole day, much less weeks on end. Now I regularly don't leave the house on weekdays since I still work at home lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i remember in the early covid days my parents and siblings thought vaccination was a good thing that everyone should do, in hindsight that was pretty weird

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

has there ever been a link established between covid transmission and climate? people were so confident that it would spread more in cold climates, or dry climates, or wet climates or something like that. The exact details were very inconsistent but people were confident that seasons would affect it, and that certain countries would have it better/worse because of their local climate.

No idea how climate affects the virus itself, but it's the same as with other diseases in that when it's cold, people tend to be indoors and closer together so transmission goes up

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
there were more specific claims than that, about higher humidity and direct sunlight reducing the amount of time the virus could survive. dunno if that turned out to be true, but if it was, we here in FL were willing to go above and beyond to have summer covid outbreaks just as bad as anywhere else despite playing on hard mode.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo-SwnyjZcQ

someone made this rad spooky video of the empty streets of Edinburgh with a drone.

also lol at all the comments being people saying, "i hope you had permits otherwise that's not legal!!"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought it was weird how COVID apparently killed all the film cameras and HD cameras and studio microphones to the point that people could only use webcams for a while. People couldn’t use digital production software anymore either because COVID killed that too, everyone was back to 90s keyboards. People had bad homestyle haircuts within like 2 weeks too, like can’t you let it grow out a little? I just think it was weird how the virus infected production rigs and hairstyles and how people had massive low quality production packs ready to roll within days of that poo poo hitting the news. :shrug:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I wonder if my old job ever let people clean properly?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Thread will dovetail perfectly into "weird things from early monkeypox"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

i remember in the early covid days my parents and siblings thought vaccination was a good thing that everyone should do, in hindsight that was pretty weird

Wait what? Are you saying that getting a COVID vaccine is actually bad?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
no, i'm remembering that not too long ago my direct family members thought vaccines were a good thing. they're all antivax now. it's weird how fast that flipped.

my mom was even an RN for a long time, though not in the past decade

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I remember when people saw more than two ducks at a time or whatever and posted "nature is healing".

Now nature is back to being dead again :smith:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

no, i'm remembering that not too long ago my direct family members thought vaccines were a good thing. they're all antivax now. it's weird how fast that flipped.

my mom was even an RN for a long time, though not in the past decade

Oh OK

That's pretty hosed up. How did they come to that conclusion?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's pretty hosed up. How did they come to that conclusion?

i don't know, i think they just never learned how spot obvious misinformation -- especially my parents. they'll believe anything presented to them without evidence, as long as it includes some message about a conspiracy or the mainstream media lying. they used to email me links to crackpot youtube videos that were obviously full of lies and unverified information. like, one i remember was a guy who is also famous for lying about being the inventor of email was talking about how the cure for covid was hugging people because our immune system is strengthened that way, and also something about all the covid deaths being a lie because some guy he was interviewing on a golf course said his buddy in army was called to NYC to help handle all the extra corpses and was personally labeling every death as covid no matter what. (no explanation provided for why NYC suddenly had a problem with too many corpses to process without outside help).

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

ELTON JOHN posted:

wiping down delivered groceries and leaving them outside lmao

I'm just not going to elaborate on my produce sanitizing regimens

:yikes:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Colonel Cancer posted:

That coffin dance meme was pretty good

I love you btw

That's right
They cracked me up so much I went searching for background and even found the vid where they gently caress up, drop the coffin and the body flaps out a tad visible before it reshuts as it lands

pretend bad poster
Mar 13, 2019
everyone had serious opinions on a tiger king and a cat lady

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
its cool we rolled back a bunch of environmental protection rules and massively increased single use plastic waste
gently caress the environment lol

also the massive corruption and long term sabotage of the economy which will destroy a generation the way the 2008 recession did.

Crippling the education of a generation was pretty bad too. Feel really bad for all of the high school students who had grade 11 and 12 stolen from them to the point they were pity passed and now lack the foundational math skills to pursue higher education properly.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Those super loving weird commercials with terrible music that just flashed "we're in this together!" for 30 seconds

News reports from reporters homes

Ads that added "in these trying times, we're here for you" before going back to their normal sales pitch

Basically everything about media was super loving weird

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Its weird lol I got banned for being too scared at first and fearmongering that there were going to be lockdowns and national border closures and poo poo lol and then a few months later banned for being not scared enough lol

Methanar fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 4, 2022

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Methanar posted:

its cool we rolled back a bunch of environmental protection rules and massively increased single use plastic waste
gently caress the environment lol

also the massive corruption and long term sabotage of the economy which will destroy a generation the way the 2008 recession did.

Crippling the education of a generation was pretty bad too. Feel really bad for all of the high school students who had grade 11 and 12 stolen from them to the point they were pity passed and now lack the foundational math skills to pursue higher education properly.

Don't worry we saved lots of Elders, people from the failure generation who torpedoed the biosphere and achieved absolutely nothing of value with the greatest run of prosperity ever known to humanity

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Methanar posted:

Its weird lol I got banned for being too scared at first and fearmongering that there were going to be lockdowns and national border closures and poo poo lol and then a few months later banned for being not scared enough lol

Glad you're still mad about it two years later

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Peggy Edson posted:

Glad you're still mad about it two years later

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Methanar posted:

It is a lol tbh

Prester Jane was absolutely drummed out of Cspam and mocked incessantly when covid 1st started for doomposting.

One night I read some of her posts and looked at some of her links and took her seriously and used my brain and right before poo poo went down I was able to take multiple steps including getting my disabled brother out of his group home before lockdowns.

I'm in California, I got 50000 bucks in unemployment that I will always be grateful for the rest of my life

Prester Jane personally did me the biggest solid almost of my lifetime and I'm eternally grateful to her a complete stranger goon

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

"Boomer Remover"

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Are there still CSPAM posters who are getting a booster shot every other week?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I remember being the first person in the pharmacy I worked at to mask up and getting ostracized for it. Then once wearing masks became more common, my only coworkers catch Covid were the ones that refused to wear masks. Then they still said that masks don't work.

Then once vaccines started, retail pharmacy became a hotbed for the absolute worst human behavior. Every day was 10 hours of trying to schedule people for vaccines, getting yelled at for being booked up, getting yelled at for not having "the right vaccine", getting yelled at for giving vaccines in the first place, getting yelled at for being vaccinated, etc, etc. I'd never been screamed at or threatened or had stuff thrown at me in my 20 years of pharmacy work as much as I had in 2021. Then adding in corporate slashing hours despite heavily increased workload because we weren't hitting our numbers for phone calls and filling prescriptions in a timely manner since we had to do a vaccination every 10 minutes (Pharmacists have to check off on a prescription fill, and they were the ones who had to review vaccination paperwork and administer the vaccination). We eventually did get compensation...in the form of pizza and cookies.

But yeah, months of constant abuse from customers, 10+ hour, 6+ day weeks of non-stop, ever-increasing work leaving me too exhausted to do anything after coming home, and corporate breathing down our collective necks finally led to me having a nervous breakdown in the bathroom contemplating suicide. That, and still making sub $15/hr after 20 years led to me putting my two weeks notice in October 2021 and haven't set foot in that store since.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Remember how they made all the homeless people sleep in these rectangles (to make sure they were social distancing) instead of letting them stay in one of the many empty hotel rooms.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I remember my co-worker laughing at all the people emptying the shop shelves saying how stupid people were and refusing to go do a shop because she didn’t want to be like “those people”.

Then a few days later complaining that she had to feed her family tinned tomatoes for dinner because it was the only thing left in the store when she finally went there.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Look I'm too busy hauling childrens' bodies from today's massacre. You want these 15 pallets of Fauci FuncoPops or not?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Remember when a dude tried to ram a US Navy hospital ship with a locomotive?

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...tal-ship-in-l-a

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Moai Ou posted:

But yeah, months of constant abuse from customers, 10+ hour, 6+ day weeks of non-stop, ever-increasing work leaving me too exhausted to do anything after coming home, and corporate breathing down our collective necks finally led to me having a nervous breakdown in the bathroom contemplating suicide. That, and still making sub $15/hr after 20 years led to me putting my two weeks notice in October 2021 and haven't set foot in that store since.

i hope you were able to find a job that actually treats you like a human.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol imagine giving 2 weeks notice at a grocery store

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Moai Ou posted:

Retail hell

I haven't been in the retail game quite as long as you have but we had the same experience. Retail was already exceptionally dangerous, error prone labor abuse nightmare but Covid made it so much worse. Endless metrics and increasing responsibilities with simultaneous decreases in staffing and increasing hours. Chud doctors refusing to mask, telling all their patients to refuse masking, then sending all their covid+ patients and staff to us with paper hydroxychloroquine/ivermectin/pepcid/azithromycin prescriptions they cough on as they hand them to you while arguing they can't follow health protocols for reasons. Local tractor supply stores had to hide their ivermectin in safes because people were stockpiling it to eat on crackers, mix with their orange juice in the morning, etc. Worst 2.5 years of an already ludicrous job.

Only difference was our pizza reward was a further disaster because corporate ordered from dominos, sent every pharmacy prepaid cards and had techs go pick them up; except, the cards weren't activated and didn't work. Anyone who just paid for the pizzas so they returned with something were refused reimbursement. Healthcare heroes!

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 5, 2022

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I JUST NOW got Covid for the first time after having to go get a drug test for a new job. They do drug tests at the same office they do covid tests. I’m fully vaccinated (I think) but I can tell already this poo poo sucks.

Now they’ll probably make me wait two weeks before I start at my new job, and that’s another two weeks I won’t have health insurance. loving bullshit. Because it’s absolutely, vitally necessary that I have a drug test for my job as a computer toucher.

I had no choice which lab to go to for the drug test either, had to go to the combo drug/covid test lab. Well screw them, guess they get to go another two weeks without having another computer tech. I’m especially salty because my brother who lives overseas is here for the week, and now I won’t be able to see him.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 5, 2022

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sucrose posted:

Now they’ll probably make me wait two weeks before I start at my new job, and that’s another two weeks I won’t have health insurance. loving bullshit.

weird things from america

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
they literally closed the parks and even the beaches. surfing wasnt allowed (they tried but surfers just went anyways)

just the dumbest poo poo imaginable

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
where i live they closed the beach parking but not the beaches, which was even funnier

though i kinda wish they had left it that way because i live within walking distance

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i think the reason for the deterrence was that even though the beaches were safe, people have a habit of cramming into the nearby starbucks/bars/restaurants, which never shut down because florida

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
i thought Florida beach residents just hated public beach parking on principle and jumped at any excuse to gently caress over the plebs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
don't know how universal it is, but the real reason i've heard from people in the area is they don't want visitors coming here from "over the bridge" for a day at the beach, which is just code for racism

(i live on one of the narrow sandbars with a bridge to the mainland)