Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

As long as the ryokan store is stocked with Asahi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Yes! Booze is essential

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

QuasiQuack posted:

Welp, this thread exploded. Haha.

Don't worry about me, doing nothing is exactly why I'm traveling. I need a destresser.
It won't be my first time doing something like this either so I know what I've signed up for.

Yeah no worries, I’d love to just hole up and read books, play gameboy and chill in the bath for a week.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean five days of downtime would drive me bananas, even in an idyllic setting, but that’s just me and if that floats your boat then I am absolutely excited for you — I say this in the most sincere way I know how: I wish I was the kind of person who could appreciate an amazing serene village/onsen/ryokan without getting itchy feet after half a day and being ready to move on to the next “thing”.

We all enjoy different things and if this is yours, it sounds wonderful :)

Which makes me wonder:

My last trip was three weeks, and if I’m being perfectly honest, I think my travel “style” really drains me by week two and a half, so I have three or four days at the end where I’m genuinely all “ok I’m kind of ready to just be done now”. I wonder if taking two or three days at the end of my trip where I’m in a sleepy onsen village or something.. I wonder if that would change my enjoyment of doing exactly that type of relaxation. Not in and of itself, but as a setting to finish my trip in a relaxing space with a book, or really just browsing the web like I do at home, except in a calm expensive space before my flight.

Just 6am shower thoughts though. My (hopefully) upcoming trip is also three weeks, because I always have rose tinted glasses when I hit the “book flight” button. I should probably expect the same burnout at the end and maybe think of a cool way to wind down that isn’t “gotta TEMPLE MORE”

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 3, 2022

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The first time I went to Japan, we had a couple of lazy days in Okinawa in the exact middle of the trip and it’s a really good way to rest up and recharge so you’ve got the energy for the rest of your holiday.

Not Okinawa specifically, but a mid-trip rest period. On our 2019 holiday our resting time was kind of forced upon us in the form of a typhoon, so we stayed in the hotel all day eating snacks from a morning Don Quixote visit where we saw a Japanese lady try to explain to some other tourists that it was very dangerous to be out travelling. Good times.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Mid trip rest definitely sounds good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I distinctly remember maybe six or seven days into my trip, my calves decided they were having a bit of a mid-trip rest regardless of how I felt about it.

Literally while I was walking up the stairs at a Tokyo Metro station, my calves decided that "nah, we're good thanks". I wish I was exaggerating, but I couldn't move my legs for like two minutes. Thankfully this was on the way back to the AirBnB and the station was like thirty seconds door to door so I managed to somehow waddle back :lol:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

some kinda jackal posted:

My last trip was three weeks, and if I’m being perfectly honest, I think my travel “style” really drains me by week two and a half, so I have three or four days at the end where I’m genuinely all “ok I’m kind of ready to just be done now”. I wonder if taking two or three days at the end of my trip where I’m in a sleepy onsen village or something.. I wonder if that would change my enjoyment of doing exactly that type of relaxation. Not in and of itself, but as a setting to finish my trip in a relaxing space with a book, or really just browsing the web like I do at home, except in a calm expensive space before my flight.

Just 6am shower thoughts though. My (hopefully) upcoming trip is also three weeks, because I always have rose tinted glasses when I hit the “book flight” button. I should probably expect the same burnout at the end and maybe think of a cool way to wind down that isn’t “gotta TEMPLE MORE”

I totally get that, and I've experienced the exact same thing. After multiple weeks of doing and seeing new stuff every day I'm just tuckered out.

I really like the idea of a mid-trip rest. I hope I remember that the next time I plan a more adventurous vacation.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ailumao posted:

https://twitter.com/hikosaemon/status/1554236985534910466?s=21&t=wyoTHIwLUxKnOugRwrHUbA you guys better stop threatening and actually go to Japan right now so the politicians can have the tourism numbers go up.

CNN seems to have covered the same topic two days ago, but at least their article isn't completely terrible. Hard to say how much they added themselves and how much was mostly taken from the supposed NHK news given that NHK World doesn't have anything posted about it.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/japan-travel-reopening-challenges-intl-hnk/index.html

CNN posted:

Although Japan is accessible again, the country currently only permits leisure tourists to come in organized groups rather than as individuals. For many in the West, who prefer spontaneity and don't want to follow a strict itinerary, that issue was a dealbreaker.
"We don't need to be babysat," says Melissa Musiker, a New York-based public relations professional who used to travel regularly to Japan.
https://i.imgur.com/JYGtyy8.gifv

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

QuasiQuack posted:

I really like the idea of a mid-trip rest. I hope I remember that the next time I plan a more adventurous vacation.

Yeah if you're on a long vacation always stick in a couple days with no plans. Not travel days either. Just literally nothing at all.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Does anyone have any tips on evading the authorities during an escape from the guided tour? Is there a manga that could provide me with any strategies?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're visiting the US, and had to cancel/rebook our flight back to Japan when my kid's PCR test popped positive. (We got covid in Week 1, around 3-4 weeks earlier.)
One week later our tests are all clear and we fly out tomorrow. :peanut:

JAL understood our situation and let us delay our flight without extra fees. The only problem was the long hold time on the phone (1h 20m!), and the limited hours of the customer service dept, so do your PCR tests as early as the 72-hour window allows.

The MySOS app for entry into Japan is clunky yet better than the avg JP website. It assumes everyone has 3 vaccines, even though Japan has only authorized kids to get 2.
I put their 2nd vax date for the 3rd, and uploaded photos of their certificates. Two or less vaccines is "do not register."

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 4, 2022

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
japan definitely seems to be letting people out, is that right? one of my grad school friends who works at kasumigaseki has hosed off to thailand through at least november, and another moved to LA for work and brought the wife and kids over and they're staying for a few years probably

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Apparently if you do join a tour group you actually do get a bunch of free time to do anything in the afternoons. You're basically free to roam the city and you're fine as long as you don't skip town.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

japan definitely seems to be letting people out, is that right? one of my grad school friends who works at kasumigaseki has hosed off to thailand through at least november, and another moved to LA for work and brought the wife and kids over and they're staying for a few years probably

Out and return was never a problem for Japanese passport holders, and hasn’t been for residents for about a year or more if you were okay to do the quarantine. That quarantine requirement is basically gone now for all entries.

To my knowledge all that is still restricted is tourism visas w/o a tour and visa waiver travel.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

harperdc posted:

Out and return was never a problem for Japanese passport holders, and hasn’t been for residents for about a year or more if you were okay to do the quarantine. That quarantine requirement is basically gone now for all entries.

To my knowledge all that is still restricted is tourism visas w/o a tour and visa waiver travel.

Have you checked the red tape/forms for parents recently? I know I checked back in May or so and it seemed a hassle but doable. It would be nice to just be able to show your child/relatives address and say you are visiting family to get a normal visa. Regardless prices from Canada right now are too drat high.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shammypants posted:

Does anyone have any tips on evading the authorities during an escape from the guided tour? Is there a manga that could provide me with any strategies?

I would not gently caress around when visiting somewhere on a somewhat restricted visa situation like this, it's a good way to get a lifetime ban.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zettace posted:

Apparently if you do join a tour group you actually do get a bunch of free time to do anything in the afternoons. You're basically free to roam the city and you're fine as long as you don't skip town.

The "guided" tour is just a mechanism for the government to hold someone else responsible if bad things happen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

Have you checked the red tape/forms for parents recently? I know I checked back in May or so and it seemed a hassle but doable. It would be nice to just be able to show your child/relatives address and say you are visiting family to get a normal visa. Regardless prices from Canada right now are too drat high.

I talked about it with a coworker who brought family over, the only hassle was making sure that their family member over in Europe had the right document/info for the embassy because it was a wee bit of a drive in for them.

I think the paperwork they needed was a scan/photo of a recent 住民票 and then proof on their side that you’re related? It sounds like it’s an application and then that, visa back in a few days afterwards. So if there’s a consulate in town it shouldn’t be too tough.

I’m trying to lock my dad in on coming over for Christmas partially because direct flights should be restarted by that point.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i did the family visa thing last year, i had to prepare a fair amount of documents, got the visa and then once in japan had to fill in a bunch of stuff, install some apps and go into a 10 day quarantine. most of that is probably a bit easier now that i won't have to show as much coronavirus related documentation

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You still need the MySOS app, proof of negative PCR within 72 hrs of departure, and hopefully vaccine certificates.

Shorter quarantine is only being enforced for arrivals who are symptomatic, unvaccinated, and/or from red listed countries.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ned do you remember in 2012 during the Olympics my girlfriend and I came from Korea to visit Fukuoka and you met up with us then we went back to your place after a beer and you just went into your bedroom and ignored us

Were you okay or did we do something wrong, we couldn’t tell if you were just goony as hell or if we did some social misstep

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

you did but he wanted you to save face

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe he thought you wanted to gently caress and was being a gentleman and getting out of your way.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
lol

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

No I mean for real, we were just kind of sitting on the couch watching the Olympics and he went into his room and we could see he laid down on his futon on the floor and started playing DS or something and we looked at each other like "uhhhh should we leave?" and then I think we just quietly left and went to Starbucks

lol I dunno v:shobon:v

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

AHH F/UGH posted:

Ned do you remember in 2012 during the Olympics my girlfriend and I came from Korea to visit Fukuoka and you met up with us then we went back to your place after a beer and you just went into your bedroom and ignored us

Were you okay or did we do something wrong, we couldn’t tell if you were just goony as hell or if we did some social misstep

I was probably drunk? Basically I'd let people come to my place and hang out and crash and do whatever they want. 2 babies were created there and neither are mine!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Getting so drunk you go home and play video games is hilarious and also what I would probably do anyway cause I’m a total homebody.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Nikkei claims Japan is thinking of dropping the requirement for a pre-arrival COVID test for incoming vaccinated travelers soon
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-weighs-ending-pre-arrival-COVID-test-requirement

quote:

TOKYO -- Japan's government is considering ending the pre-arrival COVID-19 testing requirement for inbound travelers who are vaccinated, Nikkei has learned.

The current border controls require travelers to show proof of a negative test result from within 72 hours of departure. As some countries curtail their testing capabilities, obtaining the necessary documents has become more difficult.

A decision will be made soon, taking the country's case count into consideration. The easing is likely to take effect within a few weeks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

In addition to the PCR test change (for those with three shots), it looks like number of arrivals per day is set to increase as well as :siren: tourists without tour groups :siren:

https://twitter.com/themainichi/status/1562010176403558401

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

open the nerdgates

and let kids get their 3rd shot so they qualify for easy entry

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

harperdc posted:

In addition to the PCR test change (for those with three shots), it looks like number of arrivals per day is set to increase as well as :siren: tourists without tour groups :siren:

I was assured by all the smartest gaijins on twitter that Japan would never accept tourists again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gabriel Grub posted:

I was assured by all the smartest gaijins on twitter that Japan would never accept tourists again.

That’s already untrue, they just have to be in tour groups! :eng101:

Also it sounds like they’re still requiring tour groups and the English translated article may not have all the context. Still slow steps I guess.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
hey at least i can feel good about spring or fall 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah you still have to do a tour with an agency and file plans, you just don't have to have a minder with you the entire time. Glacial progress.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Japan allows its citizens to fly around the world as much as they want.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
NHK reporting that "tourists without tour group" still means you need to hire a tour group to sponsor you and make a schedule for you. You just don't need a chaperone. Basically means you still need to shell out the cash to a tour group to go.

NHK posted:

ただ、引き続き個人旅行は認めず、ツアーを手配する旅行会社などがスケジュールを管理し、感染者が出た場合の対応などについても、ガイドラインを守るよう求めるとしています。
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220823/k10013784521000.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The few tours I've seen on tv do a well-balanced introduction to urban, rural, ancient and modern sites with an "experience" component that would normally be hard for foreign tourists to access

Here's a list of guided and self-guided tour operators
https://www.kyuhoshi.com/japan-tour-packages/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Japan allows its citizens to fly around the world as much as they want.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

The PCR testing being dropped brings Japan back in line with G7 countries, right? All that’s really missing then is that visa waiver and non-tour-group travel.

Like GF said, glacial progress. Maybe by the new year tour groups will be in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
(You can already come in unguided if you are invited by family or an acquaintance) :ssh: