Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, apart from cameos from Ameila, One-One, Samantha/The Cat (the only character to physically appear in all 4 seasons) and the old standby of “go through weird train cars/get number down/escape” it was the only season to have almost zero connection to what came before.

Maybe it might have been more relevant if the show had been allowed to continue afterwards but yeah, while I didn’t hate it quite as much as some did I agree that Book 4 was kind of a weak note to end on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

Although the biggest jarring example I can think of was as a kid thinking everything in the Thundercats cartoon looked like the opening and boy howdy was that not true.
Thundercats wasn't bad. They just didn't give the series whatever million dollar budget the OP had.

Transformers was absolutely some bargain animation considering how hard hand-drawing complicated Mecha was.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The still pictures of Thundercats Roar looked pretty awful in the first promotional images, but it turned out that was because they were specifically going for a kind of ugly-off model look that would lend itself to very fluid and dynamic animation. It looks pretty neat when it gets rolling. Still a very goofy take compared to the dramatic (and very boring) previous reboot attempt, but I respect what they were doing. No dumber than the original, maybe less.

It didn't really end up mattering because the show was kinda buried by the network when it finally dropped, probably because they didn't have the confidence after all that internet outrage despite all those animators having solidarity for it at the time. It's a shame, it's worth at least checking out if you're into animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDyqmvG0DuE

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I don't know if anyone here is watching it or has watched it, but HBO Max cancelled Little Ellen, Ellen DeGeneres' cartoon. They won't be airing the third season even though it's finished and the rumor is it's another tax write off like Batgirl and Scoob!'s sequel.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/hbo-max-cancels-little-ellen-new-season-completely-finished/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought that was canceled around the same time Ellen herself was.

oh well, another one bites the dust

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
don't worry she still has that green eggs and ham thing that didn't credit the animators on it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's no major loss, but there's a lot of things getting cancelled at Warner Brothers/HBO and the new boss is pretty crazy, so there's a lot of reason to worry about the company as a whole.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s the best streaming service. They’re driving it into the ground for no reason.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s the best streaming service. They’re driving it into the ground for no reason.

there's reasons, but they're all terrible and about extracting wealth by amortizing assets.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1555306847392899073

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The Animaniacs will be evicted from the water tower and shot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well, at least we'll still have the 90 Day Fiancee Expanded Universe.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
More The Loud House reviews:

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 13B: Ties That Bind

Season 1, Episode 14A: Toads and Tiaras
Written by Whitney Wetta and Sammie Crowley
Storyboard by Violaine Briat
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lola (the girly one) and Lincoln are preparing for a child beauty pageant and the prize is a pair of tickets to an amusement park. Things are going well until Lola injures herself and is unable to compete. Lincoln gets the idea to enter Lola's twin sister Lana (the one who likes boy stuff) in her place and Lana agrees. Lincoln trains Lana in secret (fearing Lola's wrath if she finds out) and after some bumps in the road she is finally ready. Lana looks the part but breaks all the rules by doing boy stuff putting the prize in jeopardy. Lincoln chews her out but upsets her in the process and makes Lana wonder if something is wrong with her. Hearing this Lincoln realizes he's being a jerk and tells her to just be herself instead. Lola shows up because she saw them on TV and is ready to inflict violence but it turns out Lana's unique approach won the contest so Lola let's the matter drop and even lets the pair of them keep the tickets. Lincoln and Lana go to the amusement park together and the episode ends with a joke about getting hit with your own vomit on a roller coaster. Delightful.

Thoughts: You know, most shows have to go through ten seasons before their characters become flanderized but TLH makes the bold decision to have each and every character maximally flanderized right out of the gate. With very few exceptions everybody has ONE hobby or interest and ONE personality trait and these two things together encompass the entirety of their being. It's incredibly frustrating because episodes like this could actually be kind of neat if the characters were allowed to grow beyond their narrow boxes and be real people. Instead things are just boring and predictable because there's nothing about anybody that's capable of surprising you.

On the positive side this wasn't as painful to watch as I was expecting thanks to the show actually handling a few elements well. Specifically, Lincoln's non-reaction to being put in girly situations repeatedly. It would have been so easy for this to be 11 minutes of bad and borderline homophobic jokes where Lincoln freaks out over touching girl stuff (fellas, is it gay to hold a can of hair spray?) but mercifully the episode takes the opposite approach and has Lincoln give no reaction at all and instead focuses on Lana being bad at girly things. It's a pretty good setup now that I think about it. It's a shame that Lana is such a 2-dimensional character and that the jokes themselves are so weak.

That aside there's really not a lot to talk about here. The writing is dumb but not painful, the animation gets the job done but is unremarkable to a fault, and at the end of the day nothing really all that interesting happened despite an ok setup.

Themes and morals: Alright, can we just take a moment to acknowledge how hosed up and creepy child beauty pageants are? I really hate them and it bugs the poo poo out of me that this show builds an entire character around them with zero self-awareness on the matter. Granted, it's not like the show is outright defending or promoting them either. In fact I don't think the writers gave the topic any thought at all. That doesn't change the fact that they are a particularly sketchy aspect of American culture though and the show could only be improved by Lola's hobby being literally anything else.

That issue aside though what we have here is a story about being yourself even if it doesn't strictly conform to traditional gender roles. We explore this through three characters over the course of the episode from three different angles. Lola is traditionally feminine in presentation but breaks norms by being intelligent, ruthless, and even a bit violent, Lana is nicer but more traditionally masculine in her presentation and interests, and Lincoln is masculine but in a non-traditional way that's not afraid coming into contact with girly things or doing girly stuff. In this episode Lana is asked to conform to traditional gender roles but finds she's just not wired for it. Eventually this results in her getting her feelings hurt and wondering if there's something wrong with her at which point she's told to just be herself, which she does and is rewarded with the tickets for doing so.

It doesn't exactly take a rocket surgeon to figure out what the writers are getting at. Basically: “Just be yourself" with a likely unintentional addition of "...and you will be rewarded for it”. It's not the worst message in the world, but I disagree with the second statement. Yes you should be yourself but you probably won't get rewarded for it. In fact in some cases you might be outright punished. This is why the big thematic weak point in this episode for me was Lana winning the beauty pageant. It's basically a textbook example of a situation where bucking traditional gender norms is a liability (though I'm not an expert so by all means correct me if I'm wrong). As obnoxious and controlling as Lincoln gets trying to win the contest, he's completely correct when he says you can't win one of these things with belching and floor repairs. And the rewards are besides the point anyways. The point of being your authentic self is being able to live as your authentic self. It's it's own reward.

I think it would have been much better for her to lose the pageant and for it not to matter because Lana still has the acceptance of the important people in her life. You could have even Lola intimidate the tickets out of a judge or something if you still wanted them to go to the park and do the vomit joke. It would have been a nice way to bring her back in at the end and make her a bit more likable at least. The episode lesson still more or less woks even without this change, but I think this would have made it feel much more authentic and honest.

Notable moment: The animation sucked all around so I have nothing to show off on this one but I did like little moments like this where Lincoln is just kind of good at girl stuff and nobody remarks upon it. It's a nice little touch and I wish the show were written better so it could more effectively capitalize on this dynamic.

Final thoughts: As a final note about Lola, I *think* the show is trying to cut against stereotypes by having her personality be intelligent and ruthless but think they might have accidentally had her fall into a different stereotype about women being cruel and manipulative. It's too bad because I think it's only a problem because the show decided to so thoroughly define Lola by her gender. I don't think I'd have made the connection otherwise.

Final Rating: Eh.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 5, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much everything that a woman can possibly do is seen as falling into some stereotype or another. They get you coming and going.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I wonder what this means for the final season of Summer Camp Island?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so like...what's going on with hbo max? is it in danger of shutting down? cause i haven't finished watching static shock, justice league and the boondocks yet D:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

so like...what's going on with hbo max? is it in danger of shutting down? cause i haven't finished watching static shock, justice league and the boondocks yet D:

New owners are having what amounts to a full blown purge. The boss is super against scripted content or, as we call it, 'fiction.' Stuff that's finished is probably safe, even though Max already likes to take stuff out of rotation even though they own it. New stuff, especially animation which is for dumb babies, is probably not going to happen for the foreseeable. It's going to be folded into Discovery+ and who knows what comes out the other side.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/conditorcancri/status/1555413549857607680?s=21&t=7XQoA99cNxgNxGrOSNB1cw

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Let's talk less about bad shows and instead talk more about Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, because the movie came out today and is probably very good (I haven't seen it yet)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They fired John K after like a month, although nobody knew he was a pedophile at that time. He just kept hiring fifteen-year-olds he met on AOL to work in his studio.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_t7BAL6Tg

I don't know how to explain but something about this song feels very classic Disney. I like it a lot. I'd love one of those youtubes who's more versed in music knowledge to delve into why this has that particular feel so much.

Also I always find it interesting when songs have characters with voices like Master Shake and it doesn't sound bad? Like he does not have a singing voice but it still sounds good, I've always been fascinated by that kind of thing in musicals.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_t7BAL6Tg

I don't know how to explain but something about this song feels very classic Disney. I like it a lot. I'd love one of those youtubes who's more versed in music knowledge to delve into why this has that particular feel so much.

Also I always find it interesting when songs have characters with voices like Master Shake and it doesn't sound bad? Like he does not have a singing voice but it still sounds good, I've always been fascinated by that kind of thing in musicals.

Speaking of, do we have any idea yet when Season 2 of that show is supposed to start? If Disney already put a clip up I assume it’ll likely be back before The Owl House is at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 6, 2022

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The tmnt movie is up on Netflix now!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

thelaughingman posted:

The tmnt movie is up on Netflix now!

saw a little bit of it. seeing leonardo act like a reckless, hotshot, that's also comedic relief is something that's gonna need some getting used to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

saw a little bit of it. seeing leonardo act like a reckless, hotshot, that's also comedic relief is something that's gonna need some getting used to

It feels like a weirdly valid take on the character too.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Mr Interweb posted:

You didn't watch Rise? I got over it after a few episodes and liked leader Raph (Danny Devito Splinter took me longer but he's cool).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A neat parallel that I realised in Paranormal Park that just kind of hit me is between Barney and his treatment of his family, and Courtney and her treatment of the human cast- both choose to distance themselves from the other party to avoid any chance of getting hurt, only for that to backfire when they TRY to reach out and only have given the other party a reason to be defensive about it. Barney running away from home gives his father ammo to accuse him of not trying hard enough, even though it's his and his wife's cowardice and insecurity that are the root cause of the problem, and Courtney's aloof behaviour and refusal to admit how much the humans have genuinely grown on her means that when the humans NEED the touchy-feely stuff they start rejecting her outright because she's made clear that she's not going to be a source of that, and because she's formed a connection to them despite herself that really hurts in a way that she didn't expect, causing her to spiral. I'm hoping it gets a season 2.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Rise of the TMNT was fun. Casey Jones having Leo’s red-eared slider marks on his mask is a nice character touch and the chainsaw hockey stick is rad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so over on another forum there was a discussion about especially ridiculous toys, stuff like that Punisher figure that could transform into a "gun" or that one horribly racist TMNT toy of Michelangelo as a stereotypical "bandito", and the discussion turned towards how odd the toyline for Batman Beyond was(which apparently was at least partially due to Kenner reusing a lot of concepts they had for a cancelled line about Batman fighting crime in cyberspace, which is why one of the figures in the line was a giant flying robotic Joker head) which led to this interesting forum screencap from 2005 being posted about a "Batmanime" concept that was being pitched after Batman Beyond concluded that almost happened before Kids WB execs got on Bruce Timm's nerves to the point where he went over their heads and pitched Justice League to Mike Lazzo over at Cartoon Network;

as much as I love Justice League and JLU I won't deny that this concept would have probably been really fun(and probably also would have had great toys), and it'd be neat to see it get repurposed as a comic or something someday

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"What if, and stay with me here, what if they fought digital monsters on MARS, and collected them in the RKM Asylum app!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just do Batman 1 Million at that point

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Inkspot posted:

Rise of the TMNT was fun. Casey Jones having Leo’s red-eared slider marks on his mask is a nice character touch and the chainsaw hockey stick is rad.

Honestly it's probably my favourite Casey design in the franchise, like with Rise April's design they really made sure they mesh well with the turtles in a team as opposed to sticking out as the humans. He's sorta got something from everyone on him, Leo's stripes obviously, but also his side pouch thing, Mikey's funny face kneepads, Donnietech gadgets, and maybe I'm kinda reaching but Raph had a brief stint in the show where he went out crimefighting in a poncho/cape too

https://twitter.com/NeoCloudBuster/status/1555303173434245122?s=20&t=knvwxkMk-pBGCDngQPfrdQ

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The TMNT movie was great and the animation looks 1000x better than it has any right to. Go check it out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
For those who have Paramount+ , I just noticed Hey Dude and Salute your Shorts are streaming now.

I'm torn. I have great memories of those shows. Part me of wants to watch them.But at the same time I know they will not be as glorious as I remember.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

joebuddah posted:

For those who have Paramount+ , I just noticed Hey Dude and Salute your Shorts are streaming now.

I'm torn. I have great memories of those shows. Part me of wants to watch them.But at the same time I know they will not be as glorious as I remember.

If you do give in, please report back on how well they stand up or what's different to how you remember. The OP to Salute Your Shorts still passes through my brain often.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Also, what color is a giraffe's tongue?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey Dude sucked. SYS had Budnick. OP.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, what color is a giraffe's tongue?

lmao I don't know why that episode stands out so much, but it's basically the one I have the clearest memory of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zeke the Plumber