Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Starmer threatened his kids like Rupert Murdoch did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
THE GORDY RELAUNCHES

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Starmer is worse than a malfunctioning printer- he's a printer that's been locked by the manufacturer because you cancelled the ink subscription for budget reasons (and there's still a full brick of ink in the cartridge)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tremendous Relaunch

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

CoolCab posted:

this is in fact what allegedly smart meters do. so, the old system there were two physical types of energy meter - your standard meter or your prepaid meter. the prepaid is the horrible one that costs more we've talked about some - your allotment of energy starts at 0 and you pay in advance for every watt. you used to physically have to fill it up with quarters but they switched to a fob system in the 2000s i wanna say.

prepayment meters are literally allocated as punishment to people who refuse to or otherwise can't pay their bills because the default meter cannot turn off or stop electrical flow by itself - so you can get into debt with it and as such as a "debt management" strategy you get court ordered to switch, they get the bailiffs round and physically force entry into your house if necessary. a prepayment meter will turn off just fine, and in fact does so automatically.

if the tweet i read was correct, smart meters can achieve this functionality remotely, ie turn between a standard and a prepayment device by communicating with a server somewhere. if so an energy strike would be completely impossible

Only half the meters in the country are smart (in 2017 around 5% were prepay) so there's plenty of homes on the old system and there's a step by step process that companies have to follow before they're allowed to switch to pre-pay including offering payment plans. Vulnerable people or those with limited access to their meters can also prevent them from being switched over.

While it potentially could be done with a flick of a switch to millions of homes at once it would be a very risky maneovre if it results in the deaths of people who are protected or skips the procedures exposing them to legal consequences. It's not just a 'push button to win' situation.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/independent/status/1555271240172060672?s=21&t=9j5rLZyLx_sJuclO-2bZ2g

lmao

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

starmer's like the inverse of the ah well nevertheless meme

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1555237367660924928?s=20&t=-0m3dYgdaObTFzl4n7o7Ww

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lmao thick lizzy it is then

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fleetwood posted:

there's still a full brick of ink in the cartridge
unfathomably generous compliment to keith

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

namesake posted:

it would be a very risky maneovre if it results in the deaths of people who are protected or skips the procedures exposing them to legal consequences

ah, the world where actions have consequences

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I laughed at Keith online and multiple people have come out of the woodwork to defend him, both terminally lib brained

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

TACD posted:

unfathomably generous compliment to keith

gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1555480181657182208?t=eugTBZ2GhQ7AOHjp6zbuUQ&s=19

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

What an absolute loving ghoul

gently caress the Tories

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jfc

https://twitter.com/NicolaKelly/status/1555420282986369024?t=roJiLmClwtbBcOu3lwpNhQ&s=19

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The foreign offenders bit is relevant tbf.

Not sure if that includes illegal migrants though.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Scanning your face five times a day to make sure you haven't idk swapped faces with a British citizen to claim benefits. Or something

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Getting a multi million contract from the government because I wrote "Caster Troy scenario" in my tender

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
hope the British id watch is rainproof or you're gonna get shot in the back as soon as you go outside

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Getting a multi million contract from the government because I wrote "Caster Troy scenario" in my tender

At least nick cage didn't start a war this time

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lmoa jeuss christ england

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Five times a day and it only works when the GPS shows you're facing nelson's column

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

£6m for a couple of thousand bottom-tier Ali Express smartwatches and an app that uploads your face to an unsecured Amazon web bucket.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Facial recognition watches: Which tory crony has their fingers in this pie?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The 5 times a day will coincidentally align with the daily Islamic calls to prayer.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

they’ll have deported dozens of people for non-compliance before it transpires the watches don’t actually have cameras at all

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Facial recognition watches: Which tory crony has their fingers in this pie?

This one lol

https://twitter.com/Sarah_Woolley/status/1555459698538708992

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

buddi smartwatches?

I talk!
I email!
I conduct invasive espionage!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Oh poo poo its the baroness

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The man just loves lying

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1555516147767955456?t=nLAxoj9H_6bfp44mk4eBjg&s=19

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1555456738555486208

Can't wait to be forced into a ditch by Hans Moleman in a 12-tonne truck.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I'm sorry but that sounds like you're vilifying Britain.

Careful there.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
britane sucks

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Next week: France Bans Are Lorry Lads from EU!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

This, like a lot of problems, could be solved simply by the government paying unemployed people to get qualified

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jose posted:

This, like a lot of problems, could be solved simply by the government paying unemployed people to get qualified

Sorry, I don't understand.
You want the government.
In the year of our Lord 2022.
To give money.
To non Tory donors.
To HELP the economy?

Sorry but this is just loving with my mind here.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
is the driver shortage really caused by test backlog/too many people failing the test etc.

seems suspiciously like "what if we got a load of migrant fruit pickers and just shoved them in a cab"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Oh poo poo its the baroness

That's Doctor Baroness Newlove, Limited Liability Doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rustybear posted:

is the driver shortage really caused by test backlog/too many people failing the test etc.

seems suspiciously like "what if we got a load of migrant fruit pickers and just shoved them in a cab"

Done a google.
UK needs 100k drivers, which increases a few K per year due to retirement and such.
The Tories first asked for EU drivers to come over and help, and got 57 wasn't it? Lets say 100.
EU has its own driver shortage, and its more lucrative there, so gently caress all came over.

Then they spent £10 million to train 5000 to become HGV licenced for free.
So 5000 more but more than half wiped out due to retirement/leaving time period..
It usually costs £3-5k to train, and takes 6-10 weeks.
Who has 3-5k lying around.
So its as effective as a fly's fart in a hurricane.