Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Show him that diagram and say "Hey do you think we need to loosen this locking nut for the ram to move? Looks like it locks the piston to me, but you're the chief! "

Alternately, have 2nd shift fix it.

Oh I did that as soon as saw what he was doing, did I mention he’s a lunatic? There is no second shift, it’s just us. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

lmao I'd love to have a cubical again

Powerful same.

Every loving company I work for keeps moving the level you need to be up a rank to get an office so no matter how fast I climb that goddamn office is out of reach. I'm the head of a friggan department but only C-suite get offices in this org. I swear to you if I make CEO somewhere and the board says I can't have an office there will be blood.

I'm also 99% certain my entire career trajectory and drive to succeed has been based on having the office so I can shut it on someones face, but if I have to be CEO to do that, is it rea--- no no, lets save the existential mental collapse of my foundation for later.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Have you considered blackmailing your superiors?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Powerful same.

Every loving company I work for keeps moving the level you need to be up a rank to get an office so no matter how fast I climb that goddamn office is out of reach. I'm the head of a friggan department but only C-suite get offices in this org. I swear to you if I make CEO somewhere and the board says I can't have an office there will be blood.

I'm also 99% certain my entire career trajectory and drive to succeed has been based on having the office so I can shut it on someones face, but if I have to be CEO to do that, is it rea--- no no, lets save the existential mental collapse of my foundation for later.

Ironically I have an office, but am judged poorly for being in it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I always get my own room, but that's because I teach science and no-one wants to be too near the stuff I store and use in there.

Aside from students, of course, who would love to make things explode even more often than they already do, and I would love to help them, but sadly I am only ever given enough time to deal with the boring essential parts of the course.

So I mean it *is* possible to guarantee your own room, if you're willing to fill it with things that can kill people in a variety of ways if mishandled.
Like science teachers.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Mr Teatime posted:

Oh I did that as soon as saw what he was doing, did I mention he’s a lunatic? There is no second shift, it’s just us. :negative:

Sounds like someone is gonna get cut in half by couple bar worth of hydraulic fluid blowing out a flange.

Is it acceptable to maroon people on your ship? I guess that's up to the captain.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Sounds like someone is gonna get cut in half by couple bar worth of hydraulic fluid blowing out a flange.

Is it acceptable to maroon people on your ship? I guess that's up to the captain.

Are they technically marooned if you throw them in a life raft and tow them around?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

One day you're going to be managing a multi billion dollar company. Your assistant will walk out of her corner office, down past your secretary's office to pop her head over your cubicle wall: 'So I spoke to HR and they said you were next on the list, but Jeremy in the mail room put in a last minute request. Maybe next quarter?'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Our CEO used to sit in open plan, in theory.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

goatface posted:

Our CEO used to sit in open plan, in theory.

same, but it's a 100% empty gesture since this person will be in any given meeting room 99% of the time and get paid possibly 100x more than you

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

My work has been majorly less dumb lately because the 70-year-old head of maint/fac finally retired after his mom died, and the other guy took over and took care of the PLC on the wave fluxer that dude was bandaiding for 6 months. Granted, it was after it wasted like 100 gallons of flux and forced us to find an emergency supplier since Henkel Loctite's lead time on that particular 5 gallon bottle of flux is six loving months and the plant closes in March; but at least it is fluxing properly, using like a gallon a day instead of loving 12, and the boards are coming out soldered beautifully for the first time in a long, long time. Last night was the first time I didn't spend at least 3-4 of 8 hours doing rework on that particular board in almost a year.

Just a slight tweak of personnel who don't give a gently caress about anything going away and now the thing that is required to finish 90% of our products actually works afuckinggain.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've got my own office :smug:

But I'm such a good boss I share it with four other people in an open plan format to improve intra-team comunicaiton.

That we can't afford anything else is immaterial.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've had an office with a door exactly once in 23 years, for about a year and shared with another person.
The job I have now is by far the highest paying I've ever had, and it comes with the smallest cubicle I've ever had, but not by much.
I really dont care right now as I'm doing the vast majority of my desk work at home in a much better office.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Back when I was the lone IT person at a company of 100-ish salespeople, I had an office with a door.

Doesn't matter that it had no window and was the smallest room in the building -- smaller than the larger-size cubicles, in fact. Or that technically it was the storeroom where the boxes full of extra computer junk were kept. Or that the servers and network switches were all on a rack in the corner.

There was just enough space left over for me and a desk. So yeah, I had an office. :smuggo:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

One day you're going to be managing a multi billion dollar company. Your assistant will walk out of her corner office, down past your secretary's office to pop her head over your cubicle wall: 'So I spoke to HR and they said you were next on the list, but Jeremy in the mail room put in a last minute request. Maybe next quarter?'

The amount of dead board members and shareholders following this conversation would be, and I mean this in a literal sense, legendary

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The amusing thing is, most of what I do isn't actually that dangerous, but because I am very public with my annual gunpowder competition near the start of every year, everyone assumes that all the other stuff I do is equally exciting / risky to be next to.

I mean, some of the crystals I form could be offensive while the initial reaction is going, or if treated with insufficient respect, but otherwise it's quite tame.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Barudak posted:

The amount of dead board members and shareholders following this conversation would be, and I mean this in a literal sense, legendary a good start

Atopian posted:

The amusing thing is, most of what I do isn't actually that dangerous, but because I am very public with my annual gunpowder competition near the start of every year, everyone assumes that all the other stuff I do is equally exciting / risky to be next to.

I mean, some of the crystals I form could be offensive while the initial reaction is going, or if treated with insufficient respect, but otherwise it's quite tame.

Every now and then walk through the teacher's lounge with a box in two hands and ask someone to get the door for you because 'I don't want to jostle this too much, thanks'.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finished up here. Got paid. Suddenly have 3 extra weeks of holidays I can take whenever. Got some fuckin backpay for something else I don't remember. Got another tentative job interview this Monday morning if it doesn't fall through again

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just took a new job working in a poker room.

Wednesday late afternoon I started to feel really achy in my hips and back which is not entirely unusual since I have arthritis and a history of pain. That night, when I got home, I had some mild nausea, runny nose and a touch of diarrhea along with problems getting to sleep. I woke up the next morning with my sheets really wet having presumably sweated out a fever but felt OK to go to work that day.

Worried about covid, I told everyone that I was symptomatic yesterday but felt OK now and that I would go home, quarantine or mask up if any of my co workers were worried. Thursday night, I started to feel funny again. Mild symptoms, but still consistent with C19 so I took a test that came up positive.

Oh, poo poo.

I took a photo of the test, alerted my supervisor and coworkers and posted it to our employee message board.

I was told that I had to mandatory miss five work days on a positive test (fair enough) but that in order for those days to be excused, I had to be diagnosed by a "medical professional". I informed them I have only been there 5 weeks and don't have health insurance yet. So, I'm not paying out of pocket for a doctor AND missing five days or work unpaid that YOUR COMPANY mandates just to prove I've not a liar. Had to drag my rear end to a CVS for a drive through test and hope that qualifies as a "medical professional"

It pisses me off. No "take care and hope you feel better. Get some rest and keep us posted" or "thanks for notifying us. Here at _________, we CARE about the health and welfare of our employees and want to keep them safe." It immediately went into "corporate policy" and how "unfortunately, we cannot accept (free) at home test results" I guess because certain people screenshot them to get out of work (?)

I just feel like I'm being punished for getting loving COVID, not allowed to work for 5 days and earn money and then being made to prove I've not a liar.

Which leads me to a different subject.

SO MANY loving companies - all of them near as I can tell - routinely punish the entire workforce for the transgressions of the 2 or 3 gently caress ups that do dumb poo poo instead of weeding out the idiots that should be fired or disciplined. Like, I dunno...some rear end in a top hat puts chewing gum under a table and now, all of a sudden, no one is allowed to chew gum. Bad example, maybe, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

Some guy has his ear buds on in a safety area. So now? Nobody can listen to music or podcasts. Some chick routinely spends 20 minutes in the bathroom, bleeding her break time and loving around on her phone. Guess what? No phones on the floor and you can only take a poo poo at 10am or 2pm.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Because lovely managers won’t manage individuals because it’s easier to have someone make a policy, blanket enforce it and throw up your hands that there’s nothing to be done sorry that’s policy.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

consistent with C19 so I took a test that came up positive.
BB turn this off for five days ok, and think about it after you're through the worst of it, even if it's really mild. Give yourself a nice vacation as best you can and don't run yourself down. I want you to be alert and as close to happy as possible when Trump gets indicted. :)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Because lovely managers won’t manage individuals because it’s easier to have someone make a policy, blanket enforce it and throw up your hands that there’s nothing to be done sorry that’s policy.

I was going to post this, but then you posted this, so.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lazyfire posted:

Technically my wife's work, but we're with the same company:

A director at a site 4 hours from our house quit late last week and because my wife's been driving up there twice a month to try to fix some of the processes said director had broken she was the natural fit. Her boss agreed and offered her the job on Friday. She accepted on Monday and got sent the details...as she was driving up to be on site all this week. I am fully remote, but she's going to be expected to be in person at least four days a week and so we're moving. I've already started making some early arrangements and reviewing the company's (generous) relocation package. We were ready to get out of this house and we've already found a few places under our budget up there that would be 50% more expensive here. Really a win-win situation between a promotion and a new house where the company will pay the closing costs and taxes in addition to moving us.

She IM'd me this morning about the happy hour the team had the night before and the site GM came in and proceeded to have a really awkward conversation with her about the job she accepted. The GM was saying that he was really just now starting to look for candidates, but had a few people in mind. She doesn't think he was talking about the business development job at the same level, which is also open, but about the one she accepted. She checked, and sure enough it's still there on the internal jobs site. She never applied to the position, it was just pretty much given to her by her boss, who is over the GM. Problem: said boss is on vacation without his phone or laptop for the week. My wife is his backup contact. She has no way of figuring out if he actually did the things he was supposed to do until he gets back. He's gone until the 17th. She's going to apply to the job this weekend just in case, but considering she had her boss and her boss' boss tell her she had the job and an offer extended you would think this poo poo wouldn't happen.

Ok, so apparently this is resolved. Wife went and talked to the GM again before she left on Friday and apparently he had a conversation with wife's boss' boss about the job. One of the weird things our company does is that we will post internal positions for five days to give other people the managers may not be aware of to apply. I fell victim to a couple of those while applying to internal positions earlier this year and should have remembered that and it looks like when the role opened up the site GM didn't realize that was the case either. Barring some random unicorn finding and applying for the job before Wednesday or so (weekends don't count for part of that time somehow?) she has the job. She didn't think to tell me any of this happened so I only found out all of this later interaction happened because her mom asked her what her start date was today and she ran over the details.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Shoehead that's great news, congrats on your resignation and best of luck with the interview!

BiggerBoat posted:

Which leads me to a different subject.

SO MANY loving companies - all of them near as I can tell - routinely punish the entire workforce for the transgressions of the 2 or 3 gently caress ups that do dumb poo poo instead of weeding out the idiots that should be fired or disciplined. Like, I dunno...some rear end in a top hat puts chewing gum under a table and now, all of a sudden, no one is allowed to chew gum. Bad example, maybe, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah, we have one of these kicking on in my organisation right now. I'm not sure exactly who is responsible for this policy, Property claim it's IT, IT claim it was Security, Security think it was Property.

After the first lot of lockdowns ended and employees started returning to the office, apparently a lot of monitors didn't return along with them and thanks to the org's piss poor asset management, these monitors remain unaccounted for. So some bright spark decides that the solution is to cable lock every monitor and dock onto the desks.

Workplace health and safety isn't consulted before the implementation of this new policy, because if we had been we would have pointed out that we have a lot of employees with vision loss who need to be able to move their monitors around on their desk to be able to use their assistive tech, or just be able to sit at a distance to the screen that is appropriate for their comfort levels.

Sure enough, complaints start rolling in about the cable locks messing with ergonomics and physical safety (one employee who is blind kept hitting their hand on the lock) but Property outright refuse to remove any locks because *policy* and hold their stance until one of the wh&s department leads tells the property officers that he's pretty sure the cost of a stolen monitor pales in comparison to what an employee off duty on worker's compensation costs the organisation.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Your company actually allowed people to take company monitors home with them to work on during the lockdowns?

That's seriously a problem waiting to happen coming from a loss prevention background.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Justin Godscock posted:

Your company actually allowed people to take company monitors home with them to work on during the lockdowns?

That's seriously a problem waiting to happen coming from a loss prevention background.

I mean, if my employer wants me to have a home office, they're paying for it.

And if they don't want that, they can accept the productivity consequences.

Although admittedly the kit should remain theirs, be documented, and be returned afterwards.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I wasn't working there at that point, so I really don't know. It's a federal government department so I'm going to go with no, I can't see them being OK with that.

The policy now is that if you want to work from home, you are responsible for setting up your at home workspace and purchasing anything you need to do that outside of your company issued laptop.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Justin Godscock posted:

Mine sent me home with my computer (Surface), two monitors, docking station, other peripherals, and a chair. They'd have sent a desk and a printer if I asked for them.

But they are v good at asset tracking, so it wasn't a huge concern.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

back in the day Sandia National Labs let people check out computers and stuff, my dad brought home this sick one that ran Win 3.11 and had a big old Bernoulli disk drive that was loaded up with games and was lightyears ahead of our AT&T-branded Olivetti M24.

One day it disappeared while I was at school and my mom told me, very matter-of-factly, that Sandia had rescinded the checkout program because, "a bunch of engineers couldn't stop looking at porno on Sandia's property."

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Justin Godscock posted:

My company did this. Pretty sure they don’t expect anything to come back either, but that’s because they scooped up a completely furnished new office with standing desks that have nicer monitors.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Powerful same.

My home office has a door a least, but I can only shut it in my cats' face.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

or in my dysfunctional org's case: numbers are up, but we want people to report to the office instead of wfh - so we'll implement policies to hurt metrics to force people back into the office, and use a lack of productivity as justification.

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 7, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The impossible loss prevention riddle of taking monitors home. We couldn't possibly barcode or serial number them in an asset management system or account them off as opex. Nothing we can do but adorn the office with their turned off visage.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

back in the day Sandia National Labs let people check out computers and stuff, my dad brought home this sick one that ran Win 3.11 and had a big old Bernoulli disk drive that was loaded up with games and was lightyears ahead of our AT&T-branded Olivetti M24.

One day it disappeared while I was at school and my mom told me, very matter-of-factly, that Sandia had rescinded the checkout program because, "a bunch of engineers couldn't stop looking at porno on Sandia's property."

They were just researching the Big Bang.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Shoehead posted:

Finished up here. Got paid. Suddenly have 3 extra weeks of holidays I can take whenever. Got some fuckin backpay for something else I don't remember. Got another tentative job interview this Monday morning if it doesn't fall through again

I am so happy for you. Reading over the last few posts, it's clear your boss had gotten way too enmeshed and lost sight of proper boundaries, she thought of you more like family or a partner than an employee. That convo where she said she feels like you blame her instead of helping her is one you have with a partner, not someone you manage.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

zedprime posted:

The impossible loss prevention riddle of taking monitors home. We couldn't possibly barcode or serial number them in an asset management system or account them off as opex. Nothing we can do but adorn the office with their turned off visage.

Or, you know, just deal with that they might lose a few 200 dollar assets in order to keep their tens of thousands of dollar employees productive and happy.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

zedprime posted:

i'm just going to assume someone got tasked with 'we need to stop people from stealing this' and didn't care enough to actually figure it out, because if i imagine the sort of person who does this voluntarily because it sincerely bothers them that their coworkers are stealing monitors, i just get really sad

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ours are so old and lovely you wouldn’t want to steal them anyways.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Justin Godscock posted:

Ours did and yeah like Invalid Validation said they aren’t the type you’d be boosting to build a gaming rig and I doubt they have much resale value. When we switched to a hybrid work model I just bought another one for home rather than try to carry one home all the time as that would get old fast.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I worked somewhere that used those locks in the past. they were glued on so impossible to remove from the desks without taking the laminate with them. oh the other hand it was easy to get them off the equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kdrudy posted:

Or, you know, just deal with that they might lose a few 200 dollar assets in order to keep their tens of thousands of dollar employees productive and happy.
What? No, that's silly way to look at it, who am I human resources? This is an accounting decision.

Glued to a desk is the simplest form of physical inventorying required to keep these on the books as a depreciating asset which the accountants really want to do so that the expense hits the books some time after the operating manager promotes out or retires and cash flow looks better now and later is somebody else's problem. Alternately they can get an asset management program in place that can do the requisite inventorying to not get dinged in audits but that's so much effort you know?

Cheap electronics as opex is fine I guess. Just throw our cashflow at vendors like amateurs but then we don't need to worry about inventory any more than opex supports the replacement budget.