Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I just picked up a g29 and have been having a blast with iracing and dirt rally 2.0. Way more fun than a controller.

However I’ve noticed since I bought the wheel that the throttle kinda sticks when I fully press it. This wasn’t a big deal until during a race the throttle just stayed stuck there at full throttle when I took my foot off. Ruined my race and now I’m mad!

I’m torn about whether I should go through the whole customer service thing with Logitech and probably have to ship it back, or try opening it up myself and potentially void the warranty. I’ll probably try the Logitech route first.

Also: yesterday I was learning Oran Park on the Miata in iracing. I swear to god, every single corner in that track is blind, wtf!! It almost seems intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

From my extremely limited knowledge of watching rally school reviews on YouTube, don't you pretty much always stay on the throttle in rally even under braking? Sounds like a benefit :hmmyes:

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Hahaaaaaaaaa I’m still at the level where I’m hardly ever over 50% throttle in dirt rally. Absolutely blows my mind that people can scream through a stage at full throttle

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The pedals are just functioning as anti lag.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Before I just go and order another g29 - does anyone else have one and can confirm that the throttle is NOT sticky?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

giogadi posted:

Before I just go and order another g29 - does anyone else have one and can confirm that the throttle is NOT sticky?

I had one, it's not sticky.

But you should do the velcro mod where you stick a small piece of velcro to the metal baseplate where the metal from the pedals rests against the frame when you're fully on or off the pedal. This makes it hugely quieter.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

giogadi posted:

I’m torn about whether I should go through the whole customer service thing with Logitech and probably have to ship it back, or try opening it up myself and potentially void the warranty. I’ll probably try the Logitech route first.

For a mouse not a racing wheel and was a long time ago, but my experience with Logitech customer service was very good--they just sent me a brand new mouse, not sure I even had to return the dying one. Doubt it'd be that seamless for a racing wheel, but one could hope they take care of you well.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

giogadi posted:

Hahaaaaaaaaa I’m still at the level where I’m hardly ever over 50% throttle in dirt rally. Absolutely blows my mind that people can scream through a stage at full throttle

Try the Lancia Stratos, if you haven't yet. Goddamn amazing death machine and a blast even if you "nope" out of anything above 3rd gear.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

giogadi posted:

How old is it? If it's still in warranty let Logitech deal with it, if it's not then whip open the base plate, can't imagine it'll be tough to track down what's causing the sticking

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks, since I ordered it on Amazon, it’s as simple as sending it back to amz for a refund. Ordered another g29, hopefully it’ll be better

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I've made a couple small purchases that I've really enjoyed that I figure I should talk about. First, I run in VR and wear glasses, so I picked up some of these prescription lens attachments that have drastically increased my comfort wearing a headset for a long time. I also picked up a magnetic shifter mod for my G29 that give it a nice chunky feel when you pull the shifter paddles. This dang hobby keeps getting me to buy so much poo poo.

Now to figure out the finances around buying a direct drive wheel :devil:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

This dang hobby keeps getting me to buy so much poo poo.

:homebrew: should really be :simracing:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MrYenko posted:

:homebrew: should really be :simracing:

let me see what i can do

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I've made a couple small purchases that I've really enjoyed that I figure I should talk about. First, I run in VR and wear glasses, so I picked up some of these prescription lens attachments that have drastically increased my comfort wearing a headset for a long time. I also picked up a magnetic shifter mod for my G29 that give it a nice chunky feel when you pull the shifter paddles. This dang hobby keeps getting me to buy so much poo poo.

Do you have a wheelstand yet (or non-g29 pedals)? Having the pedals and wheel mounted to the (gt omega apex) wheelstand was one of the biggest and cheapest upgrades I experienced. Just passing that along in case you're looking for other high-impact things.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Do you have a wheelstand yet (or non-g29 pedals)? Having the pedals and wheel mounted to the (gt omega apex) wheelstand was one of the biggest and cheapest upgrades I experienced. Just passing that along in case you're looking for other high-impact things.

Yeah a wheelstand was like the first thing I got. My Ikea desk was not going to abide even the G29 being clamped on it for a while and I've got the T-LCM pedals :cheers:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If we’re gonnna make a :simracing: emoji it really should be two :hchatter: emojis crashing into each other and money flies out

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
bought some cheapo aliexpress knockoff in the style of 326power rally wheel and it owns. This thing is comfortable as hell.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Fire up the Richard Burns Rally

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Presented without comment

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgyydq/a-racing-wheel-is-the-best-way-to-never-play-racing-games

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've definitely used mine less than I thought I would so far :v:

It's fun but god it's just so challenging. Hard to say, "yes I'll spend 30 minutes to learn this 1 track"
And VR is super cool but then like oh my dogs are doing a thing, let me take the headset off and get out of my little cockpit and such

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
"F1 22 is poo poo and I don't like logitech's clamp design so gently caress sim racing wheels"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

"F1 22 is poo poo and I don't like logitech's clamp design so gently caress sim racing wheels"

No, he's saying "this is a messy piece of poo poo and it hardly works out of the box and takes so much work but I love it, even if it hates me and makes my life worse in meaningful ways".

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

No, he's saying "this is a messy piece of poo poo and it hardly works out of the box and takes so much work but I love it, even if it hates me and makes my life worse in meaningful ways".

He then went and bought a wheel stand that doesn't close up (I have the same one).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The last sentence really sums it up for me.

quote:

Because to really enjoy a hobby to its fullest you have to absolutely loving ruin it for yourself.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that guy gets sim racing to an extent beyond his experience level.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah I’m not there yet on sim racing, ordering a G29 next week (unless there’s a better mid level entry nowadays?) but that is exactly my experience of flight sims.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Fire up the Richard Burns Rally

that's what i was coming off of lol. did like a 66 mile 13 stage over two hours straight through with no particular fatigue. it was pacenotes audio only too :rip: everybody.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah I’m not there yet on sim racing, ordering a G29 next week (unless there’s a better mid level entry nowadays?) but that is exactly my experience of flight sims.

Personally feel I made the right choice in a budget wheel getting the Thrustmaster T-150 (or TMX)--belt instead of gear driven (supposedly somewhat better/smoother feedback) at the price of losing a separate shifter and clutch pedal which did not matter to me. Actually, tossing it into google, does the G29 even come with the shifter anymore? Thought it had way back in 2015 when I got my budget wheel.

Homeless Friend posted:

that's what i was coming off of lol. did like a 66 mile 13 stage over two hours straight through with no particular fatigue. it was pacenotes audio only too :rip: everybody.

I'm slower without audio only pace notes, distracting junk on my screen preventing me from watching the path ahead with the visual indicators.

bUm fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 6, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It really depends on how well they’re placed. Some of these notes distance triggers & graphic placements are :thunk:.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I gotta look into if there is some sort of VR support for RBR

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I gotta look into if there is some sort of VR support for RBR

There is in the current Rallyesim RBR, but you need to have a keyboard and mouse to navigate the menus. It doesn't play well with a virtual keyboard.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It just comes with rallysimfans, just have to push a button in the launcher to set it on.

E: yeah to control it you either have to get a keyboard, keypad ( i just use a 9 keypad) or you could map xinput to keys via some program could also work

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 7, 2022

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

oh sick

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

bUm posted:

Personally feel I made the right choice in a budget wheel getting the Thrustmaster T-150 (or TMX)--belt instead of gear driven (supposedly somewhat better/smoother feedback) at the price of losing a separate shifter and clutch pedal which did not matter to me. Actually, tossing it into google, does the G29 even come with the shifter anymore? Thought it had way back in 2015 when I got my budget wheel.

The G27 came with a shifter, the G29/920 do not. Dunno about whatever that new one they have is.

bUm posted:

I'm slower without audio only pace notes, distracting junk on my screen preventing me from watching the path ahead with the visual indicators.

I'm in a Dirt Rally 2.0 club with some friends and it's very newbie friendly as we recruit more friends to join, and one of the first pieces of advice I give is "turn off all the crap on the screen - visual pacenotes, progress indicator bar, and split times" because they're just a nasty distraction. Visual Pace Notes are a bit of an exception if there are kids running around the house making a lot of noise, it turns out. Plus some people just like them better, which is fine - it's just a suggestion.

I'm happy lately though because historically it's just me and one other dude at the top above everyone else and lately a couple more people have started catching up to the point where I'll get 3rd in a stage if I make a couple mistakes. There's been a couple stages where we had 4 people within 3 seconds at the end of the stage, which is nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ssb posted:

The G27 came with a shifter, the G29/920 do not. Dunno about whatever that new one they have is.

The G29/920/923 etc don't come with a shifter, they now sell what is basically the same shifter the G27 came with minus all the buttons as the Driving Force Shifter for too much money. Though it's also pretty easy to find for way way less.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I bought a G923 with the shifter as my toe-dip into sim racing and wound up using it for just a month before I started down the long dark Fanatec path, I'll EDIT: throw up an SA mart thread for it, smart \/

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 7, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Make a thread in SA Mart and link it here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5440627

I was pretty surprised to see the units were pretty obviously inch, with fanatec using mostly metric, but that should get you a functional piece. It's a 2-piece unit, so you can invert which way you put it, i guess to slightly adjust pedal position

Behold.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Jn8odL6vxB4?feature=share

He wasn’t able to get time on the milling machine to make it out of aluminum, but he printed me a pair of them that feel just as significant as the original.

Thanks again, fellow goon. :glomp:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Behold.

He wasn’t able to get time on the milling machine to make it out of aluminum, but he printed me a pair of them that feel just as significant as the original.

That's great. Zeentch you should make a little webstore selling those. I don't know what country fanatec is in or what the third party laws are but since they do not offer any way to purchase those pieces from them I wonder if you can literally just sell them as "Fanatec Elite Load Cell v1 replacement piece" and be fine. I'm sure fanatec would prefer people like Yenko have to buy their new pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MrYenko posted:

Behold.

Ayy, glad it worked my dude